Nexium

Comment from: CM, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

I started with Nexium hoping to get rid of GERD. It worked at the beginning, but the side effects were nasty. I can't believed the amount of gas my body was producing!! Extreme fatigue and belching,muscle aches,lightheaded, short of breath, diarrea,lost 9 lbs.in 2 months. Also, needed Maalox and Pecpid AC. I finally stopped taking it in my own,after 4 1/2 months.I read the reviews, a lot of females suffered from fatigue, it seems that males do better... What else is in Nexium that causes so many side effects??

Related Reading: nexium | gerd | fatigue

Comment from: rayp, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

After 2 years on Nexium I developed Osteoprosis. Lost 40% bone density bcoz of loss of calcium. You need acid to build up calcium. So i stop Nexium and went on Calcium regimen. Also, I drink Water every hour and before sleeping and halfway in my sleep i drink a glass of water to stabilize stomach acid. It works, No more Nexium for more than a year now. Goodbye Nexium hello Water !!!!

Comment from: zeeadler, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 23

I've been taking Nexium for years with good control, however whenever I attempt to stop using it, my problem returns and is worse than before. Now I read this med causes excess stomach acid whenever you stop taking it. This appears to be a trap to guarantee the continued use of Nexium, and all PPI drugs.

Comment from: Duramax76, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 06

Been on Nexium for 6 years. Works good for reflux. Can't stop taking it or symptom's return worse than before. They say it is only an 8 to 12 week treatment. They lied. I was also diagnosed with severe vitamin B12 deficency. I was getting muscle cramps, tingling and numbness in my hands and feet. They never did a study on long term use of PPI's, but they are now warning people about the vitamin deficency. A little too late for me. I have permanent nerve damage in my left foot due to the B12 deficency. This pill works good for heartburn, but is poison for your body with long term usage. Anybody who has been taking it for a long time should get there GI doctor to check their blood work often and ask about vitamin supplements. Astra-Zeneca should have put some better warnings on this poison before they would let Dr's prescribe for long term usage. Good luck with your insurance company paying for this overpriced pill.

Related Reading: b12 | muscle cramps | heartburn

Comment from: Marsha, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 15

I was treated for acid reflux and stomach ailments for three years with Nexium. I reached a point of feeling so miserable from the medication that I stopped two months ago. I feel almost like myself again. I eat very small meals and chew antacids. Gave up chocolate, milk and coffee. I've lost fifteen pounds. Plus I don't miss paying over $150 for medication each month.

Related Reading: antacids

Comment from: Transmitterguy, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 30

This is my best drug. I used to have heartburn all the time eating Tums like candy. I would be sleeping and acid would come up into my esophagus and I would wake up in misery. With Nexium, none of that happens. I can take it every other day and still get by. I love It!

Comment from: Di, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 11

The nexium helped my reflux for 24 years. I was devastated to find out that nexium eats up the calcium I was taking for bone density when I entered the pre meni years. There really should be some warning labels or better monitoring during menapause. Clearly the Dr. & company has neglected to educate the patient. I was taken off this due to the findings of osteopenia.

Related Reading: nexium | osteopenia

Comment from: MK, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 05

After 2 years of using (was very effective) I started having panic attacks almost daily and after stopping medication they have gone away. I am sure it was the nexium - very scary. I now know others with same story. Too bad - it worked great for 2 years.

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 12

Nasty pill! I have palpitations, extreme cotton mouth, nausea, disturbed sleep (as in wake up at 4 a.m. and can't go back to sleep), elevated blood pressure, muscle pain -- I'm a walking text book of symptoms why you should try something else.

Related Reading: palpitations

Comment from: Mary Jane, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 07

I've been on Nexium for 3 years now and am a postmenapausal woman age 55. I've recently had a compression fracture not related to any injury and found out that even though I take calcium and Vitamin D supplements, it is not being absorbed due to the Nexium. In addition, I have gained weight since starting Nexium and was told that it is your stomach acids that break down fat from your diet and Nexium interferes with how that fat is metabolized. Wondering if there are still more clinical studies being done on this drug? These side effects are not mentioned in Nexium's official list of side effects.

Related Reading: nexium | vitamin d

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 04

Started taking this medicine for abdominal pain and bloating syptoms of GERD. Shortly after starting felt like something lodged in throat. Still have abdominal discomfort and gas. Anyone experience these side effects?

Related Reading: abdominal pain | gerd

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 01

After taking this drug twice a day for 5 years I have lost most of the hair on my head. I quit taking it and my hair quite falling out so bad for a few months the Doctor said take at least once daily and my hair is falling out again. It works great for the reflux bad for hair and bones. After stopping it does not come back. I now have ostoepenia as well. Before taking I had the bones of a 20 year old and they asked what I did to have such strong bones. I'm going to stop this medicine.

Comment from: Bobbyboner, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 20

Have reflux/GERD. Nexium works great but i have joint pain, weight gain, headaches, bloating, gas, itchiness, etc. I've used it for 3 yrs, sometimes dropping it for a bit. I think I am ready to drop it completely. I'd rather have heartburn then any of these very bad side effects. Screw this!

Related Reading: heartburn

Comment from: Muffin, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 29

I was diagnosed with GERD and a hiatal hernia. Tried 40 mg or Prevacid and broke out in a severe rash after 3 weeks. Switched to Nexium 40 mg and after a couple of months it made me bloated with stomach cramps. Now on 20 mg and still extremely bloated with stomach pooch but less cramps. Anyone else have this problem?

Related Reading: hernia | prevacid | rash

Comment from: Gran , 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 21

I have been on Nexium since it first came on the market.I started on Nexium 20mg but am now on 40mg. I have GERD, Hiatus Hernia, esophageal muscle spasms(which mimic a heart attack), a torturous esophagus(which it causing the food to block up. In the beginning it helped but as the years have gone on I will wake up choking with a sensation going up my throat.I have many of the side effects that I have read here but hadn't know that it was the Nexium. I am having more pain and vomiting, excessive gas, tingling in my feet and hands, excessive weight gain, fluid retention(on fluid tablets to try and relieve the swelling), muscle jerking,nausea, vomiting,stomach pain, polyps. I eat small meals but even then it still blocks causing severe pain and then vomiting. I am being referred back to my GI specialist as my GP said the medication is not working as well as it should and that it needs reviewing. I am so glad that I am not the only one who has experienced these sided effects.

Related Reading: hernia | muscle spasms | heart attack

Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions See Slideshow
Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 08

Nasty drug- nausea, difficulty breathing, gas, abdominal pain, headache. I was on it for 4 weeks and it was pure torture

Related Reading: abdominal pain | headache

Comment from: JDD, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 13

My GI doc Rx Nexium for Gerds when it first came out and I took it until six months ago. Eight years ago I developed a B12 deficiency, suggested to my doctor that I might have this condition, due to a malabsorbtion syndrome due to the Nexium, he poo poo it. Then I developed a vitamin D deficiency, same story. My bones thinned out, every two years they were thinner on bone density testing, NEXIUM! Then it finally came out in the literature that all this was true. While on Nexium, I had parotid gland swelling and pain. Facial swelling is a "huge" problem also. I experienced agitation and depression while on Nexium. My doc denied that Nexium could be a factor, now we know better. Nexium quit working for acid reflux and Tums gave better relief. Nexium's only saving grace is that it can heal esophageal erosion for me.

Related Reading: nexium | b12 | vitamin d

Comment from: AuntBec, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 18

Although I was aware of the side effects, I had no idea how painful my joints would become from the magnesium deficiency caused by this drug. I was also on it with little oversight by the prescribing doctor, but was given to believe that it was safe for me to take, and better than acid in my esophagus. I'm not so sure that is true. I would rather take a simple antacid and not have side effects.

Comment from: Patty3600, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 25

I was on aciiphex for years and it was wonderful, no side effects at all. The Insurance company desided that I had to switch to nexium about 2 years ago. The gas is a problem and the diarreah, but lately I am experiencing a hoarse throat, and have lost my ability to sing. After reading about all the side effects with this drug, I am going to look into whether or not this could be my problem. Right now I am so hoarse that I have trouble speaking! I also have had the problem of muscle aches and sleep difficulties. I wish they would let the Doctor put me back on Aciphex. It really works and NO side effects, ever. I was on it for years!

Related Reading: nexium | aciphex

Comment from: magiablanca, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 29

For the first few years it worked fine. Lately I have had heartburn no matter what. I have also had muscle waekness, headaches, lower back pain, trouble swallowing, shotness of breath, and other things like easy bruising. My doctor keeps brushing it all off, and I couldn't explain it- especially loosing 100 pounds without trying (not complaining about that one). Today I read an article in my local newspaper abput side effects from Nexium. WOW!! I had to come here, and I am so glad to see there are others with the same problems. I will stop taking it immediately!!! To everyone out there- please listen to your bodies. Noboby knows you better than you!! If you know something is not right-it is not right. I almost died from a reaction to stsins because the doctors kept wanting to say I was just having anxiety attacks!! BEWARE OF THESE NEW MEDICATIONS!!!! they are not time tested like the old ones, and they have NO IDEA of the long term side effects.

Related Reading: heartburn | lower back pain | anxiety

Comment from: MSPAMZZ^, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 16

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY IT IS THAT ALL OF THE GASTROENTEROLOGIST WANT TO SCOPE OR ENDOSCOPY YOU BUT NONE OF THEM EVER CHECK YOU FOR THE H. PYLORI BACTERIA WHICH IS WHAT CAUSES YOUR STOMACH TO PRODUCE EXCESSIVE GAS AND ACID? THAT IS RIGHT, BACTERIA, NOT THE GOOD KIND BUT THE KIND THAT EATS AWAY THE GOOD AND LEAVES THE LINING OF THE STOMACH VULNERABLE TO BACTERIAL INFECTION. THIS CAUSES GAS, BLOATING, DIARRHEA, CONSTIPATION, HEARTBURN, ETC. ACIDOPHILUS IS A GREAT REMEDY FOR THAT ONCE A DAY BUT YOU NEVER KNOW THAT UNTIL THOUSANDS OF MEDICATIONS THAT TAKE AWAY THE ACIDS LATER. I AM ON NEXIUM AND JUST HAD TO MAKE MY DOC EVEN TEST ME FOR THE H. PYLORI BACTERIA WHICH HE SAYS IS POSITIVE. NOW HE WANTS TO GIVE ME ANTIBIOTICS BUT CANNOT SINCE I HAVE TO BE OFF OF THE NEXIUM TO GIVE MY ACID TIME TO REPLENISH SO I WONT GET SICKER THAN I AM AND MISS WORK. THREE YEARS TO LATE WOULDN'T YOU THINK...... WELL, WELL, WELL.........

Related Reading: diarrhea | constipation | heartburn

Comment from: J M S, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 05

I was on Nexium for several years to reduce esophageal errosion and excess stomach acid...and it worked, taking one 40mg capsule per day. My insurance, all of a sudden, stopped paying for the drug and switched me to a generic Prevacid. After two months, stomach acid was coming up my esophagus to the tongue causing sores on the tongue and burning the mucous membrane in my mouth and nose. Needless to say, I opted out of the pharmacy home delivery program and went back to Nexium. Within two weeks the sores were gone, the mucous membrans were healed and everything was back to normal. To me this a miracle drug. I gave it a four star satisfaction rating because of the side effects which are stomach bloating, lower back pain and joint pain in my hips and knees. I will accept these aches and pains any day over the debilitating effects of GERD.

Related Reading: nexium | prevacid | lower back pain

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 10

Nexium works very well for me, but after reading all the reviews in this site, I'm worried about possible side-effects.Reviewers say it causes lower bone density/osteoporosis and iron/magnesium/calcium/vitamin deficiencies. That it impairs calcium absorption, was designed for short-term use, not long-term use and also impairs fat metabolism in the stomach which leads to weight gain. I suspect the fat absorption problem also causes diarrhea and gas. First I'll talk to my doctor, but I'm seriously thinking about discontinuing Nexium and buckling down to make other changes: watch what I eat, don't eat late or have big meals, lose weight and use something like Tums when I have a minor flare-up. If it gets bad, I may try one man's advice to "take one pill and it's better in 15 min." Who knows, it might work for me. If I'm not successful, it's back to the expensive, unhealthy?,little purple pill every morning. I know it works.

Related Reading: osteoporosis | diarrhea

Comment from: tinam1072, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 13

I've been on 40mg Nexium for almost 10 years. I have moderate to severe Acid Reflux disease. The drug is wonderful. I can eat anything, anytime. I am experiencing joint and muscle pain with stiffness. I have increased my calcium and joint supplement. Also my calcium level has been low, even with the D3 supplements.

Comment from: guest2009, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 13

I've been taking this purple poison for 7 years. In the beginning had severe heart burn, chest pain, nausea, constant feeling of hunger. Tums helped a little and then GI diagnosed hiatal hernia, erosive esophagus, prescribed nexium. It works and i cannot get off this poison. Symptoms return immediately if i miss one day. 40mg every day or alternate 40-20-40 if i can get my hands on 20mg. Gained weight, 65lbs overweight, appetite is still not under control so i eat small meals often. GI can't explain weight gain but says some ppl gain wt. I also get panic attacks, although not every day and only in situations that call for panic. Have developed depression, anxiety, constant fatigue, still occasional nausea, rare but very severe vomiting every 2-3 years (can happen, according to my GI). Not sure if side effects of nexium or because i'm stuck with it for the rest of my life. Taking Citrical because PPI blocks calcium absorption. Who knows what else is not getting into my body because of nexium. GI is against PPI, recommends surgery. Fundo is very risky, irreversible, for those who suffer same condition. I don't know how i'll be able to afford this purple crap for the rest of my life. AstraZeneca has got us hooked on this pill. This purple addiction ruins my life one pill at a time.

Related Reading: chest pain | hernia | nexium