Nuvigil

Comment from: gb, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

I've had extreme fatigue for the last 15 years. It started after I was diagnosed with Mono and it never went away. I would take a nap any chance I got. After work, I would come home and fall asleep. If that was not possible, I would lay around with no energy to do the needed tasks. I negated my duties as a wife and mother and did the minimal amount. It was an extreme sacrifice to do anything for my family because of the energy that was required. Simply going to the park to play took an enormous toll. Most doctors just attributed this fatigue to depression, which I do have. Finally someone listened and did not write off my fatigue! I have been taking Nuvigil 150mg/day for three days and cannot believe how much better I feel. I haven't craved a nap and I feel like an energetic child again. I also feel happier. The day-to- day activities that I used to dread are now activities that I enjoy doing. The only side effects I have noticed are dry mouth and insomnia. I'm hoping the insomnia will decrease, but after sleeping excessively for 15 years, a little insomnia doesn't bother me in the least.

Related Reading: fatigue | depression | nuvigil

Comment from: susyn, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 05

Life-Changing is the best word I can use for this. I have my life back. I can think during the day again, it no longer feels like my brain is wading through mud, my reaction time is back to normal, I can remmember stuff from 10 years ago, I cannot begin to list the amount of stuff that I can get done in the day while on this that were just overwhelming Thinking about doing before. I was depressed beyond belife, just because I was so very tired all the time. That is gone now, now I wake up with a shred of hope that the day may actually be OK. If you have this problem, I cannot reccomend that you at least give it a go if your doc thinks it may help. The Dry mouth was a little rough, I just suck on sugar free candy a bit. I did get the nausea for a few days and then that went away, never got dizzy but am only taking the 50 mg dose. My main problem is not so much that I have sleep disorder as my hubby does and will wake me up 6-8 times a night, I don't want to sleep in a different bed, and don't want to be tired ALL the time, doc recommended this when I scored off the charts for a sleep test 12/14. I think I would have had the 14 score except I am a caffine junkie to get through the day. Or was, down to the morning joe now and don't feel I need it all throughout the day. Funny little side effect, I am sleeping better, or more correctly, my hubby isn't waking me up as often due to me sleeping more soundly, down to just 4-5 times a night, lol.. LOVE this drug, gave me a whole new lease on life, not even really irritable anymore, just the usual stuff that would tick off anyone. All the best, and good luck on your search for wakefulness.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: awake in md, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 30

I have a lot of trouble sleeping at night, and suffer from extreme fatigue. Have had a sleep study test done, and no sleep apnea, but do suffer from restless leg syndrome. I have been on Nuvigil 250mg for about 2 months and love it. I have so much more energy and have even lost some weight because of increased energy. Got headaches from it when first started it, but they went away after a few days. One thing I, and my husband, have noticed besides the increased energy, is it makes me talk more than usual. It is great to finally have some energy again, and not feel like taking a nap all the time.

Related Reading: sleep apnea | restless leg syndrome

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 16

I have suffered from Chronic Fatigue for over 20 years and nothing seemed to help. I tried Provigil and other than giving me headaches, it didn't work at all. I have been on Nuvigil for 2 weeks now and feel great all day - not a bit drowsy and NO side effects. It worked from day 1 and I feel like a new person.

Related Reading: fatigue | provigil

Comment from: PRICHARD0221, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 10

I wanted to start by letting everyone know if they cannot afford this medication because their insurance will not cover it, there is HELP!!!! Go to Cephalon.com, click on Cephalon Cares Foundation, download and print the required forms. There are pages for the patient to fill out, and one page for the prescribing Dr. to fill out. I had trouble with my insurance company and went through this program until my insurance finally covered the medication. After you apply for the company's program, you will be able to receive the medication with as little as a $5.00 co-pay. The company also has a number you can call for help. They have always been very professional, and understanding. There are not many companies like that anymore. If your insurance requires a pre-authorization, there is one very important piece of information I can give you. Have a sleep study done, if you haven't already. There are different types of sleep studies. All you need is a one night study. I was denied Nuvigil by my insurance company for almost a year.After everything my doctor and I went through, after I informed my insurance company I had a sleep study, and what type of machine was used, I was finally approved. It does not matter what the results of the sleep study are, as long as the test is done on a polysomnograph, your insurance should cover it. My insurance company gave me the run around for a long time until I was able to find out all they needed was the name of the machine used. I was never told why I was denied coverage for so long until after spending almost a year trying to get them to approve me, when all that was needed was the information above. This medication is very expensive, and insurance companies do not want to pay, so they never told me exactly what information to provide. My Dr. sent in my complete medical record twice over the year, and I was still denied. I will continue this, PLEASE READ.

Comment from: not sleeping in detroit, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 21

Was given a sample pack of 250mg tablets months ago and was too scared to take them. I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and sjogren's which leaves me extremely fatigued. Was sleeping all the time, napping all day, falling asleep at work and while driving. Finally worked up the courage to take half of a pill today and I feel like a new woman. Put in a full day of work, did laundry, cooked dinner, cleaned, and even baked two loaves of banana bread..all with no three hour nap in the middle of the day. I don't feel jittery or weird at all, just awake and alert. I'm going to stick with taking half a pill as i am concerned that a full 250mg may keep me "up" too long, but will discuss with dr. This drug could potentially change my life since i feel up to interacting with my family, playing with the kids, etc. Instead of, "mommy's sleeping on the couch again." I am optimistic!

Related Reading: rheumatoid arthritis | fibromyalgia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 25

I have MS and this medication is life changing. No more 4 hour naps on the weekends.

Comment from: Nicole, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 21

Nuvigil has been life changing for me. Before taking Nuvigil I would nod off during meetings, while driving, talking, or standing. I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia suspicious of narcolepsy. I take 250mg in the morning which usually gets me through the day. I can't believe how much better I feel and I have had 0 side effects. Definate life saver for me!

Related Reading: nuvigil | hypersomnia | narcolepsy

Comment from: trish, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

I Was falling asleep at work and feeling so bad all i wanted to do is go home and sleep so i had to stay on the go and walking all day to keep from falling asleep till my dr put me on nuvigil 150 it works good but some days i feel like i need to take another one i have been on it for 5 months it works for me

Related Reading: nuvigil

Comment from: Georgia, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 11

My experience with Nuvigil has been great. But I noticed other reviews some folks seemed to NOT have read the the cautions. So let me make this one VERY easy to read: NUVIGIL may cause you to have a serious allergic reaction that may be LIFE THREATENING. If you develop any kind of RASH, HIVES, SORES, SWELLING, or trouble swallowing or breathing, "stop taking NUVIGIL and call your doctor right away or get emergency treatment". There is also a warning for folks allgeric to lactose. Don't get me wrong, this med is fantastic stuff, but if you are considering it, be sure to read the warnings, easily found at the dedicated nuvigil web site.

Related Reading: rash | hives

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 18

I began taking Nuvigil 1 month ago and I can completely tell a difference! For the past 25 years I have been laying down every chance I get to take a nap on Sundays. This past Sunday was the first time I had no other plans and did not lay down for a nap. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and RA and I have been able to completely come off all pain meds. I feel better than I have in A KONG TIME! I am thankful my doctor knew about this drug and extremely thankful my insurance covers it.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: donniekuhnsr, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been diagnosised with something that is going to ultimately take my life from me. I have always been an active person, working hard and playing hard; life as it is for me now, is next to impossible for me to do either.. Some days it is a monumental accomplishment to simply take a shower. My energy levels are nearly non existent. My lung Doctor suggested that I try this drug (Nuvigil) as a means to be able to live the life that I have left doing something other than sitting on my chair and sleeping. The MG she prescribed I don't think is quite strong enough. It has however given me more energy than I have had in many months. This is the best gift that I could receive.. I just want to thank you for the manufacturing of this drug. It has and will continue to provide to and for me a means to live the end of my life with dignity and a smile.. Thank you for providing this drug to us (the public) and please know that even if no one else ever tells you this, you have made a notable difference in my life and I would like to thank you with all of my heart.. You have made a difference in my life!!! Donnie

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 05

This med changed my life. I haven't felt this good in years.I have fibromyalgia and the fatigue was unbearable,couldn't sleep at night and it was almost impossible to stay awake during the day. The best way to discribe it is a constant state of cross-eyed and brain dead.The pain just continued to increase daily. Now with Nuvigil 250mgs in the am, and a lunesta before bed, I have my life back.Most days I need no pain meds. at all. I can play with the kids again, cook, garden, and work all day long with ease.I am happy to except the severe cheerfulness after years of pain and misery. What I can't live with, however, is the excessive amounts of saliva, dry mouth may have been a blessing. The constant swallowing is causing throat pain and swelling. To keep from chocking at night from all the extra saliva I've begone sucking on my tongue in my sleep, it's now swollen to the point of not being able to talk and covered in sores. If I stop taking the nuvigil the swelling goes down in 2 or 3 days, but took a week for the sores to heal. Decided to give it one more try, hoping that nuvigil wasn't the sorce, but it only took one dose for the swelling to return. By the second dose I was unable to speak because of the size of my tongue. This medication had really made a difference, the last thing I want to do is stop taking it, but at this point I have no choice.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | fatigue | nuvigil

Comment from: gosteelers, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

I have Bipolar I. I was sleeping for 12-14 hours a day. I tried the Provigil after waiting a month and a half for insurance approval, but it gave me bad headaches. I told the neurologist and she switched me to Nuvigil 150. It's been like a miracle drug! I stay awake all day, manage to clean, shower, cook and walk the dogs. It makes my thoughts clearer, I'm able to make decisions and I'm not isolated any more! I can actually drive to places I've never been before. My mood is totally lifted. About 2 weeks before I started this drug my husband had to take my psych meds out of the house, I had a therapist calling me every day. I was very ill. Once I got started on the Nuvigil it was like the sun coming out after the rain. My husband had never seen me happy before, he's only seen me being depressed and sleepy so he attributed it to the manic side of bipolar. I'm not manic. It's the effect the drug is having on me. I just feel great. Happy. Healthy. I read where Cephalon is conducting research studies for the use of Nuvigil in patients with bipolar and they're having great success. Unfortunately it hasn't been approved by the FDA for people suffering with bipolar. More clinical trials are being planned. Anyway, Nuvigil has given me a second chance at living my life instead of sleeping it away. Thank you Cephalon! Now if I can jsut get my insurance to cover it, things will be good. I've received 2 denials so far, but it took 3 attempts to get the Provigil approved. The Doc will keep trying and hopefully keep me in enough samples until it's approved. I can drive just fine while using Nuvigil but couldn't when I was on the psych meds alone. I never even left the house. I know I'm going on and on but this is the best I've felt since 1999 and I want everyone to know it!

Related Reading: provigil

Comment from: Grandma, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 02

I was tired of being tired and exhausted from being told there was 'nothing wrong' with me -- I just needed to stop feeling sorry for myself and do something! Naturally, this led to other issues including depression and anxiety. Finally I found a Dr and therapist who have worked with me in developing a solution which includes daily vitamins, an antidepressant and Nuvigil 250mg. I have not been practicing this regime long, however after sleeping through most of the past several years, I can definitely tell the difference! At first there was the issue of loose bowel movements which ceased after 2 weeks. I do experience dry mouth however sugar-free mints are very helpful. I still enjoy my morning coffee, but avoid caffeine because it created headaches. I am currently experiencing some bruising which is being monitored by my Dr and pharmacist. Nuvigil is most effective if taken at the same time every day..for me this is 7:00 am. At first I set the alarm now I wake up on my own! Sometimes I crawl back into bed for an hour to snuggle with the cat, not because I can't keep my eyes open! I'm working full time for the first time in years, am able to visit with friends and most importantly, am available to my family. Just the other day my grandson told me how happy he was to be outside playing in the snow because Grandma wasn't sleeping! There is no miracle cure for anything however for me Nuvigil has proven to be a god-send and exactly what I need.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | vitamins

Comment from: MBrewer, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 10

I am a college student and used to fall asleep every class every single day after about 10-15 minutes into class no matter how much I tried not to. I am taking 150mg of Nuvigil once in the morning and it lasts a little over 11 hours for me. I no longer fall asleep in my classes and I feel much better during the day. I am much less stressed out, I have more energy, and I don't feel so down(depressed-ish) during the day anymore. The first week I took the medicine I had a very slight but constant burning in my stomach and some headaches, but these symptoms went away after the first week like they're supposed to. The only problem I have found is that if I eat near the time I take my medicine, it severely decreases its effectiveness and I fall back into feeling sleepy that day and having sleep episodes. So if the medicine is not working for you and you eat near the time you take it, try taking Nuvigil right when you get up and then wait an hour before eating and see what happens.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

i have taken nuvigil for a week and i have not felt this good in avery long time. i can finally get up in the morning and not sleep all day. it is great to start to watch a show and actually get to watch it.

Related Reading: nuvigil

Comment from: Tweety, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 15

Well,I took my first pill this morning, I was on Provigil but it gave me a headache everyday. So the doctor thought maybe I could try this Nuvigil, I can feel the effects already. I have Fibromyalgia, and no energy. This is good because I feel energetic but not the high feeling. Hopefully, this one won't give me headaches. So far so good, will comment again in a week. Molly

Related Reading: provigil | headache | nuvigil

Comment from: Maria, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 22

This medication is new to me. My neurologist feels Nevigil is a drug that may help with my chronic fatigue due to Multiple Sclerosis. This is only my second day. I'm on 250mg once a day. Yesterday I starter with half and waited for some energy. Since it didn't seem to be working, about 2 hrs. later I took the other half. I felt more energy then I'd felt all day. But, I was nervous and about 3 hrs. later took 2mg of Ativan. I then attempted to sleep. No way was I able to sleep until 3am. So, this morning I took one and I am awake, but I feel if I lay my head down I could probable fall asleep. I do not want to be this fatigued right now because I have a family to cook for and a beautiful dress Ive been waiting to ware for a few weeks. Frankly, I could just cry at the thought of cooking right now. I'm exhausted! I really, really pray this pill will kick in so I can go about the holiday as planed. Oh, if anybody wants to know how I got Nuvigil (regularly $514.13) for free please e-mail, message, or call cell. Good luck to everyone just trying to live the best you know how. I know without a doubt you all have struggled, born pain, loneliness and uncertain future. God bless one and all.

Related Reading: fatigue | multiple sclerosis | ativan

Comment from: socialworkerbyprof, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 27

Being excessively sleepy is new to me, so I discussed it with my dr fairly quickly when I was experiencing not being able to stay awake, low energy and irritability. I was on Provigil, but it left me very tired in the late afternoon. Nuvigil is better, but still sleepy around 4pm.

Comment from: salepo, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 11

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 2 yrs ago.I started on Provigil which was a Godsend but over time and even with incresing doses I found myself napping 3 and 4 times a day.My neuroligist suggested Nuvigil.It is wonderful!cheaper,once a day dosing,less tiredness I still have to nap about an hour after taking it and i will never have the full life I had before but now I can function again.Does anyone else have the headaches and persistent diarrhea?I think they are a small price to pay.

Related Reading: narcolepsy | diarrhea

Comment from: tskinney, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 29

I was recently diagnosed with narcolespy, and started taking 150mg nuvigil the first few days were fine then I was getting tired about mid-way through the day. My doctor increased the nuvigil to 250mg and it was too much! Does anyone else have the problem of stiff neck? Provigil hurt my jaw. I have been taking 150mg and it helps me stay awake but I still get tired.

Comment from: M D, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 29

I have been having episodes of dosing off and having major hallucinations. Tried NUVIGIL, and it worked the very first day. No nausea or headaches so far. I would recommend taking it with a meal/breakfest. So far so good!

Related Reading: nuvigil

Comment from: kmusetti, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 25

Nuvigil has been a lifesaver for me. I have spent my days and weeks in bed. Since I have been on it- 60 days have passed with out crawling back to bed. Energy, enjoying life again.

Comment from: sleepyhead, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 08

This med is wonderful if you have cronic fatigue! It will change your life. My only concern is that it may make me alittle agitated or in other words, bitchy but its better than being in bed all day

Related Reading: fatigue