Omnicef

Comment from: trulyblessed, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 12

My 10 month old daughter was prescribed this for an ear infection after amoxicilin didn't work. SHE REACTED HORRIBLY TO THIS DRUG. About 2 hours after giving her 1st dose she became incrdibly cranky and tired, refused to eat, and went to bed quite early. She woke up at 3:30 AM with a 101.8 degree fever that Tylenol struggled to get rid of. I gave her a 2nd dose and same reaction again except this time it was accompanied by a awful diaper rash. Sores, inflamed red skin, it was bad and it took a long time to heal. One side effect that apprently is harmless is very red stools. This shocked me! I thought she was bleeding! But she wasnt. It also caused her tummy to hurt. I will NEVER allow my daughter to take this drug ever again. She is on cefprozil and is having no reaction to it. I will be so glad when this infection clears and we won't have to deal with it anymore. They say the pros of cefdinir is that you only have to give it once a day and it tastes the best... well i would much rather give my daughter a med twice a day and put fruit in it to make it taste better than to give her this drug that really caused an upset after just ONE DOSE. I should have not given her the 2nd dose but her pediatrician urged me to. After the 2nd and the same reaction with that rash I went and got a 2nd opinion and a different antibiotic.

Related Reading: ear infection | fever | tylenol

Comment from: 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 03

**Severe allergic reaction with swelling, painful joints** My 6 year old was prescribed Cefdinir (generic for Omnicef) for an ear infection. 4mL twice a day. She took the first dose on a Tuesday night, second dose Wednesday morning. Wednesday late afternoon she started complaining her right foot hurt to walk on. By bedtime the top of her foot looked like half a golf ball was under her skin. It only got worse from there. The swelling starten in her other foot, knees, elbows, lower back, back of wrists and bottom part of her ribs. Then she started with a rash on her feet than went up to her knees. All her joints hurt and she couldn't even walk or put on a shirt. Thankfully we caught it in time and she is on steroids to fix it and is doing much better so far. I wish that this reaction would have been listed, as I searched the internet I was amazed at how many other users experienced the same thing.

Related Reading: omnicef | rash

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

Took second round of Omnifec RELIGIOUSLY, and on the sixth day I experienced a severe reaction to this medication. Went to ER with shortness of breath and hives on lateral parts of my body. Administered Epi, steroids, and pepcid and released. 24 hours later, back in ER with hives all over my body, shortness of breath, swelling of face, lips, and tongue. Extreme itching, which an allergist stepped in an prescribed an anit-itch med with sedative, to help control. Spent five days in hospital dealing with this. Released with steroids, anti-itch med, and anti-depressant. Face and body still reacting itching, but not as severe. No word as to how long till the omnicef is out of my system. Will NEVER take this medication again! Horrible experience!

Related Reading: hives | pepcid | itch

Comment from: mom of three, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 06

My 7 year old daughter had a severe allergic reaction after taking omnicef for nine days. After being off of the medication for 6 days she developed serum sickness. This resulted in very painful swolen joints and difficulty walking. My intention is that other parents will read this and just pay attention and look out for the signs and symptoms of allergic reaction.

Related Reading: omnicef

Comment from: Giverup, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 29

I've just recently completed my 10th day of this medication. I'm not recommending this medication,due to the side effects I experience while taking this drug. I've taken cephalosporins before and never had a problem. After taking this medication I feel worstc than prior this drug therapy. I was given this medication due to a sinus infection, however after a few days My tongue and throat became extremely sore, and my symptoms got worst I didn't improve. The roof of my mouth became irritated and sore. My tongue and throat felt inflamed. I called my PCP office and asked them to call me in Diflucan thinking the irritation in my mouth was possibly due to a yeast infection. Aa if the above symptoms weren't emough,I started having some breathing diffilty and had to elevate my head on pillows to help make breathing easier. No I never smoked nor am I around anyone that smokenver been diagnose with any respiratory problems. I do have seasonal allergies, howeever nothihg serious that an over the counter medication wouldn't take care of. In essence after taking this drug I don't recommend this antibiotic. I'm making appointment with my PCP to inform him of present symptoms and that I will never take this drug again.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 02

My one year old baby was prescribed Omnicef after Ammoxicilin did not clear up his double ear infection and sinus infection. After four days of use, I noted red bloody looking stools and switched him to Soy milk because these stools are supposed to be due to temporary lactose intolerance as a side effect of the drug. Around the same time I noted increased irritability and moodiness in my happy baby. This alerted me to a problem because he only cries if something's wrong (and I mean seriously wrong, he never even cried with a double ear infection and sinus infection). Suddenly after using this drug he began crying completely out of the blue and was generally irritable. Last night he barely slept and woke up screaming throughout the night. Finally this morning he broke out in a rash all over his body. I called the doctor and they said that he's allergic to the drug and put him on a new one. My husband and I had read a lot of reviews stating behavior changes as a side effect, but I don't know that the doctors are recognizing that as valid. I wanted to post my observations in my child so that parents are informed and see that it is a trend and that they feel more comfortable going with their gut. I wish I can called the doctor for a new prescription the first second I felt like something was wrong, but I thought they'd tell me I was crazy if I listed moodiness and nightmares as the reasons. Sure enough, it turns out he is allergic and it must have been irritating him and building in his system this whole time, even if we couldn't see an outward reaction. Lesson learned. Mom knows best.

Related Reading: omnicef | ear infection | sinus infection

Comment from: xpensiv, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 30

Medication was effective on my Strep Throat, however I had a horrible rash develope afterwards. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai would not take it again.

Related Reading: strep throat | rash

Comment from: Sophias mom, 0-2 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 13

Wow I really wish I would've done this sooner, I would have NEVER given my 9mth old daughter Omnicef! We were lucky in that she did not have a fever. After 3 days of taking this medication, she also had ALOT of blood in her stool. And YES it IS blood, not just red poop. What the medicine does is pretty much strip all of the good bacteria in the stomach. My daughter had blood along with chunks which the doc told me was actually pieces of the lining of the stomach!! Why would ANY DOCTOR give this stuff to anyone, much less a INFANT!? I am highly upset at her doctor and will never take her there again, nor ever give her this medication again. And I will also make sure I warn ANYONE who will listen to never give this stuff to your children! I am a first time mom and was absolutely TERRIFIED that my daughter was bleeding internally and something unthinkable could have happened! DISCUSTED with this medication and the doctors that prescribe it to infants or children!! Thanks for listening.

Related Reading: fever

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 07

My eleven month old son was prescribed this medication for an ear infection. Within hours he was experiencing extremely painful stomach cramps and upset stomach. On day two of the medication he developed a rash that covered his torso, in addition to a horrible diaper rash. He also began running a temp. For us, the side effects of this medication were far worse than the ear infection itself. We will not be using it again.

Related Reading: diaper rash

Comment from: kim3884, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 14

I would not recommend this drug to anyone because the side effects are horrible and painful! I was given this medication to treat a sinus infection. I had taken it in the past without any side effects, however this time was different and I had to stop taking the drug. On the 4th day I developed SEVER abdominal cramps that raidated into my chest, headaches and nausea. The abdominal pain was so bad I was doubled over. It's been 2 weeks since I stopped taking the drug, and I am still having the abdominal pain and think I may have developed an ulcer. I have been going through a lot of antiacids to help control the pain and it seems to work a little. I made an appointment to see my doctor next week about my ongoing problems with this drug. I think I may have been given this drug because of drug interactions; I am on a lot of other powerful medications to treat RA. Again, because of the side effects, I WOULD NOT recommend this drug

Related Reading: abdominal pain

Comment from: damiensmom, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 23

This medication was precribed to my 6 month old son to cure his ear infection. I gave him his first dose before he went to bed and he woke up the next morning with blood in his stool. We had to take him to the ER and they had to take an X RAY which we later found out was totally unecessary. It was a horrible experience, and I had no idea that there were such serious side effects.

QUESTION

Bowel regularity means a bowel movement every day. See Answer
Comment from: jpe1tytme, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

the medication gave me a constant headache after each use, unsure if it was due to the sinusitus or not. Overall very good

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 0-2 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 13

My 8 month old was given omnicef after being treated several times for an ear infection. On the third day there was blood in his stool, I took him to the ER where they laughed and said red colored stool is normal for a child on omnicef. They did not look at thr diaper. So I continued to give it to him and the blood got worse. It was a reaction to the medication.

Related Reading: omnicef | ear infection

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 14

Day 6,got diareha vomits dizzy vaginal yeast infection thrush and severe abdominal pains...NEVER will use this again...sick as dog..thought I was dying.

Related Reading: yeast infection | thrush

Comment from: Cammigirl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: January 28

It was prescribed to my 15-month-old for the first(and last) time. It gave him the worst case of diarrhea he's ever had AND a horrible case of diaper rash that included sores! I stopped giving it to him immediately and it took 3 days for the rash to clear up.

Related Reading: diarrhea | diaper rash | rash

Comment from: wilberry, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 10

Son prescribed omnicef suspension for upper respiratory infection (ears, sinuses, etc). Took for ten days, got better. Two days later broke out in hives so badly he could barely bend his legs. Huge wheals over every joint on his body. Also bilirubin in urine. Three day steroid burst took care of it, but it was very scary. I always ask not to have this medication for anyone in my family now. He was about 11-12 at the time.

Related Reading: hives | bilirubin

Comment from: MBEmom, 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 26

My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with a double ear infection and was prescribed Omnicef. I thought it was strange as she had Amoxicillin in the fall that worked great for her ear infection at the time but I didn't question it. On day two of treatment, she started complaining of being itchy. When I checked her out, her arms were completely red, as were the backs of her knees. The redness spread to her face and the fronts of her legs very quickly. She was crying and miserable. The nurseline I called was no help and of course, it happened at night so the doctor was not available. I threw her in a cool bath and gave her a dose of Benedryl, guessing that her reaction was an allergic reaction to the Omnicef. 30 minutes later, she was no longer scratching herself, the redness was fading and she said she felt better. Soon after, she fell asleep, exhausted by the whole ordeal. I won't be using this product again on any of my kids, at least not for a simple ear infection. It seems like there are many who has experienced side effects with it and that it shouldn't be prescribed unless other measures have failed.

Related Reading: omnicef | amoxicillin

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

The day I took the last dose, I developed severe hives that lasted for a week. Its been a month since that happened and I'm still experiencing minor hive outbreaks. I will never use this medication again.

Comment from: 0-2 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: June 16

My 8mo old daughter was on this medication for only 3.5 days when the doc had to take her off of it..she developed horrible diaper rash and runny stools...it was to much for someone of her age to handle, the diaper rash alone was enough to stop taking it and we will never use this med for her again..

Comment from: surfcityJustSaying, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 06

years of chronic sinusitis nothing being effective, this drug is. I do have to take it 21 days but the only side effect I notice is poor bladder control which is non existant when off the drug so there must be a corelation. Good drug for sinus

Comment from: Angela, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 07

My son is 6 and he started taking this medicine Omnicef 4 days ago he has also began with diarrhea and itchy all over. I wonder if this medicine is helping or hurting him. I am a bit scared now that I know these symptoms are coming from the medicine. Also might I mention it has caused to urinate a whole lot more than usual. As he in he came home from school 2 days in a row in different clothing because he had wet himself at school and NEVER before has he done this. Please get all the facts before you give your child this medicine dont make them feel worse instead of better.

Related Reading: omnicef | diarrhea

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 01

broke my baby out in hives from head to toe after first does and is taking me as long as 2 weeks to get her a lil better wher i dont want to cry everytime i look at her

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: T.D.D, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 08

I honestly wish my prescription had lasted for more than 10 days. I was prescribed a 10 day round of Omnicef when my ear infection rebounded two weeks after completing a 5-day Z-pack prescription. It got rid of my ear infection, I had no GI problems at all, and there has been no rebound in my ear infection. Surprisingly,I also experienced a wonderful side effect of having my acne COMPLETELY clear up. My skin went from oily, splotchy, and covered in white heads and black heads, to being smooth balanced and acne free. I have not had better skin since the age of 9! I even had compliments at work. People told me my skin glowed! I hated getting off the antibiotic because it did help my skin so much. Now I'm back to the same oily acne prone complexion I had before. So I am actually very pleased with this medicine. It did what it was supposed to for me (cleared up my ear infection)with bonus (cleared up my acne) and no side effects. Shame I couldn't keep taking it.

Related Reading: ear infection | acne

Comment from: 0-2 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 05

My now 2 yr old has used this medication many times. The only side effect that he gets is the red stools, which is a common side effect of this medication. It is normal. He takes this without any fuss. It works wonders on his ear infections.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 30

my 9 year old son was on this drug for 2 weeks for a severe sinus infection. he has lost numerous days of school do to the side effects. He has had extreme stomach cramps, nausea, very running stools. Very misarable. He was suppose to take it for 1 month but I took him off, and have had to make 2 extra trips to the doctor along with blood work and stool cultures to find out it was the side effects of this drug. I would not recommend this drug.

Related Reading: sinus infection