Opana

Comment from: boss302kirk, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 27

I have chronic severe pain due to pancreatitis,osteoporosis,osteoarthritis, and a host of other bummers that I don,t care to get into. My input will not be well-liked by most patients. From what I've read with exception of the rare kidney disorder, these so-called patients are looking for a "high". I have spent 35 years dealing with pancreatitis{chronic-relapsing} to be exact. Also known as "auto-digestion" for those of you not in the business of pain control. I'm 51 yrs. old and if, I say if, I get high on my meds...boy to have that old feeling back. But it's not going to happen. Pain control is all I have. My method of using opana works for me. People, I've tried thm all in my search for the pain-free day, and opana gives me a leg up on it. My response to the gentleman who likes 8mg dilaudid, he's looking for a quick high,being dilaudid is an immediate release drug. 10mg of IR opana would make 8mg of dilaudid seem just ok. I was on exactly that before opana. Opana wins,hands down in the pain control area. Try living in the pain control world, instead of the "get high" world. Your life would be better. I wish you all well and God Bless.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 31

I have had a fusion of L4-L5 for degenerative Arthritis with spinal stenosis. I have been on and off various pain meds last 8-10 yrs. I was on 45 mg of Morphine Er 3x's/day, which was becoming less effective. Pain clinic put me on Opans ER 20mg/2x day with 10 mg Percocets 2x's a day, throwing in Gabapentin for nerve pain.. I am in the worst pain EVER!!! This stuff is not working. I have tried telling the clinic only to be made to feel like a drug addict. These past 3 months have een the most miserable of my life. How do I get the clinic to realize this is about wanting to have some semblance of a life with minimal pain. I am not abusing my meds nor do I get "HIGH" off them as I have such a high tolerance. Any suggestions on how to talk to my doc to get him to listen. Thanks to those who use and abuse recreationally, you are making it impossible for those of us who are in true need of relief. I just want to be able to walk, stand or sit more than 20 minutes without wanting to cry. I feel like my life has been stolen from me and I am a prisoner in my own body. It is a prisoner of HELL. I want to my life back.

Related Reading: arthritis | gabapentin

Comment from: Mangog, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have had and heard it all before so it was no surprise that the new Opana does not work well at all. Period. Way too slow to work and then by the end of the day with my last 30 mg. 3 x/day I am exhausted at work and feel like I have been given a strong sedative and I feel nauseated. My thought is that the pills are so damned slow release that the medicine builds up in my system and by the end of the day I am high but it is not a good high, I am ehausted, nauseated, and pissed off that this is what we patients have to suffer so all of t he doo-gooders in government and the medical industry can be assured that nobody is feeling good, high, euphoria, and we are all miserable and will consider living with the pain rather than the treatment. What a wonderful country America has become. I am now considering looking for another doctor to go back on Oxycodone or some other form of drug than Opana. I am also looking to purchase meds from other sources than the system of stupidity we have here in the USA. I hope all of the geniouses are happy now that the patients are sick and probably being poisoned from this new technology. I have never sued anyone in my life but if this one goes to a class action law suit, count me in.

Related Reading: opana

Comment from: boss302kirk, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 10

kudos to jitterbug for hanging in there, rolling with the side effects that everyone goes through while asssessing a new med, and finding positive relief through blind faith! You are the first patient,other than myself, that found excellent pain control other than looking for a "high!" I only hope that others in our situation take heed and follow through with a positive attitude to control pain! CONGRATULATIONS! Sincerely, boss302kirk@yahoo.com.

Comment from: bigdeal111, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 09

I've tryed just about every Pain medication made, and the one that works best for me is Opana ER, I use 20mg, B,I.D. along with Flare up that can happen most anywhere, si I use Vicodin 10mg along with it.I cannot state here all my Spinal conditions, but it spreads all over the spinal cord. It was until I suggested with the Doctor Opana ER since the Short-acting lasted only 2 hours. As of this writing I am seeing my Doctor today to inform him that the 20 Opana, and Vicodin is about a eight out of 10 for pain relief. Since as it's been said a Million times over: 'Everyone responses differently to medications.' All I can say, if you haven't already, give it a try, if you never tried it, you'll been have ben missing the Drug you've been seeking for Months, Years. I truly hope everone here find the right medication(s) and get on with this already stressful life without enduring pain for the rest of your life and missing what may the best times of their lives.!

Related Reading: opana er | vicodin

Comment from: Anonymous, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 23

I am prescribed Opana ER for sharp mid-back pain due to a physical attack, and for my constant joint pain from an autoimmune condition. I take 20mg every 12 hours. It works very well! I have been prescribed various pain medications for years to treat my condition but Opana blows all others out of the water. It works great! The only problem is availability. It took me a long time to find a pharmacy that carries Opana ER. It is also very expensive, but if you have insurance, go for it. Everyone is different, but in my personal experience, Opana helps my pain more than any other medication my doctor has prescribed. It is truly a godsend, and reduces my pain enough to where I am able to get out of bed and get out of the house! If you have persistent chronic pain, and have tried things like MS Cotin with little to no relief, I would definitely suggest discussing the possibility of trying Opana ER with your doctor. As I stated earlier, it is not easy to find a pharmacy that keeps this medication in stock, but your doctor may be able to refer you to one he knows will carry it.

Related Reading: opana er | opana | chronic pain

Comment from: stricklypresh, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 13

I have been using Opana 20mg twice a day and 10 mg 3-4 times a day as needed for break though pain. I was placed on it last month after having been on fentanyl finally at end of 3 yrs on it with a 125 mcg patch chged every 48 hrs and 800 mcg lollipops used as needed for break through pain - I had an allergic reaction to it and had to be changed. I went from that to 40mg oxycontin twice daily and 20 mcg oxycodone 3 times a day. Worked well for 7 mos, then I had an allergic reaction to those and thus Opana. Onl difficulties so far are some constipation and a lot of sleep, both I figure will pass with adjustment. My pain is so severe from head to foot and so different for each area. I neurothapy in both hands and feet. They burn like as if I was in self combustion yet the surfaces are numb. I've had carpal-tunnel surgery on both hands. I have degenerative arthritis that has destroyed the facets in the small of my back leaving nerves exposed and severely damaged with damage continuing. I have 3 bulging discs in the cervical area with damaged facets also. T5 is damaged from the arthritis all of which cause great pain down my arms and across my shoulders and have absolutely throbbing shoulder blades. I fell in the shower in 2005 causing 2 compression fractures to L5 which have increased to 4 fractures due to arthritis plus 2 bulging discs at L4 and L3. S1-S3 have facet problems. I also have fibromyalgia. I have had thermoplasty on L5. Radio Frequency both left and right L5-S15 times just this last year and Epidurals - all to no avail. Had RF 2 yrs ago that lasted 2.5 mos for which I still thank God for the relief. No pain meds stop my pain and I cannot stand or walk without my walker with chair in it. But I am so very thankful for all of the meds that have been available to help ease my pain. I just pray I do not become allergic to Opana, also. Pray for me/

Related Reading: oxycontin | constipation | arthritis

Comment from: opana, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 28

i have tried so many pain medicines i thought id reach the end of the road but once i started taking this drug it was amazing for my pain along with the percocets i take a side note is this med is VERY addictive i crave it all the time and think i need more when i dont other than that this drug is great

Comment from: jinksdriver8, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 25

have severe pain due to an industrial accident,could not find any drug to relieve the pain even slightly,until given opana er.take 40mg 4 x a day 2 in the morning 2 at night....was a miracle drug finally i could enjoy my life again.......then thanks to all you effing junkies' the government made them change the formula...now its like taking 4 pieces of plastic...i even find some of the pills still whole in my stool...charge my insurance co 1600 dollars a month for this crap...thank you to all you drug addicts out there. hope you die feeling the same pain i must live with every day again.

Related Reading: opana er

Comment from: counselorhoward, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 24

I have had 4 herniated Disc's & use MS-Contin for a long acting Opiate & & I have used Dilaudid 8 mgs that gives me nausea, However I found that 10mg-30 mgs IR. Opana to be superior to either IR. Opana has been around for 20 years as first Numorphin or Oxymorphone. I just started using it, & aside for minor side effects it works when I am in Severe Pain. People who are in serious pain are not interested in the High, but the Relief the drug gives. I agree, if its not working for you, your not taking enough. I Am a Therapist & know there are no perfect drugs, but how we respond to them & the effort we make to understand our Pain.

Related Reading: herniated disc | ms-contin | dilaudid

Comment from: shirley, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 13

I`ve had 5 back surgeries and been on so many pain meds and this medication really helps the pain.And i have my appetite back.I take opana IR 4 times a day and dilaudid 4mg at bedtime.So i recommend this medication for back pain.No serious side affects for me.

Related Reading: opana | dilaudid

Comment from: lisakcoan, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 15

I have RSD/CRPS and a slew of other medical problems and was taking 100mg of oxycontin 3x day and we decided to switch to Opana 30mg 2x day. It has been doing fairly well controlling my pain though I have still been having to take my breakthrough medication fairly often. I almost wish they would increase the dose on the Opana so that I wouldn't have to keep taking the breakthrough meds so often. I think that this has been a good switch for me as the Oxycontin was not covering my pain as well as it should have. I do have a staph infection and cellulitis right now so it may work even better when those are gone. I do have additional pain from those infections right now and its not quite covering that added pain at this time. But it is still better than the Oxycontin was doing!! All in all I think a positive switch :) Lisa

Related Reading: oxycontin | opana | staph infection

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 23

I am a 54 yo female (young, no serious health problems, working & thriving 'til a car accident hurt my back [L4&5] severely. That's all long lasting. I used Opana rx for the last 4 months & it helped the pain but the side effects made me too ill. Now I prefer the pain. Read some of what happened to me in the last 2 months. Symps/moderate to severe: bowels, continuous urinary tract infections w/either no stoppage of emptying bladder or blockage, balance issues, nausea, panic attacks & anxiety, breathing problems, high blood pessure, dry mouth, sweating, blurred vision, trouble sleeping & loss of appetite. You ask why did I suffer so long? Well, becuz my current pain mgmt doctor refused to take me off. His answer to all this: (1) see a urologist (never been to one in my life) AND (2) I'm "allergic to my husband" & "he needs to be on antibiotics at the same time" as I am. That was just two days ago. I called my pharmacist today and she told me to stop IMMEDIATELY & I feel better already! If he sees me again it will be a picture. TAKE THIS MEDICINE IN THE CARE OF A DOCTOR THAT YOU TRUST WHO WILL MONITOR YOU CLOSELY. THE ONE I HAD CAME WITH GREAT RECOMMENDATIONS FROM MY BACK SPECIALIST. HE WAS NOT COMPETENT & I'M GOING TO REPORT HIM! THANK YOU WEBMD FOR YOUR INFO!

Comment from: Scientist705@gmail.com, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 19

Chronic pain this medicine is uded for opiod tolerate patients, 20mg-30mg 1xor 2x a day and Opans IR 5, or 10 mg will keep pain at bay however with pain management I have found that every 6 mos a patients meds should be changed for efficacy, i.e. M.S. Contin 30-60 mg 2x a day and 30mg I.R. P.R.N.: and then Roxicodone 30 mg 3x a day and so on This keeps tolerance down, instead of leaving patient on same medication, Iwas in two serious car accidents in 2000 and by 2007 my gait was impaired and now I have to consider "hip arthoscopic-minamally invasive surgery to repair the acetabulum spot on the socket so I can decrease my pain dosage by60% which is good and I can walk well hopefully. This is my experience with pain relief, and one should have a good neurologist and orthopaedist. Thank-You

Related Reading: chronic pain | pain management | roxicodone

Comment from: Failed Back Surgery, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 10

I have been prescribed OpanaER 40mg for chronic back pain following a failed back surgery. I to agree that the new formulated pill is not as effective, however, my doctor also prescribes me Oxycodone as well. The combination of the two pain medications, along with Neurontin I am able to get through a 6 hour day at work. There is no perfect world for pain but you must have a personal physician that you trust, and he or she trusts you as well so that you can get the proper relief.

Related Reading: neurontin

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 27

I agree to most all of the people who are disgusted by the change in pill form. It IS like taking plastic. Thanks Junkies! It worked so much better before the change. Change it back please for the people who really NEED it!!!!!!

Comment from: kmair517@gmail.com, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been on every pain medicine out there like everyone else who has posted. This is the only medication that addresses my chronic pain, didn't make me drowsy and I can actually think clearly on it.

Related Reading: chronic pain

Comment from: rsdbarbie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

Opana comes in two forms the long acting and the short acting for breakthrough pain. Both drugs should be reviewed seperate. As with any major change in pain I medications I did have some severe withdrawl issues. This drug is at 50% of oxy and to do it right you need to go in at even a lower dose them make 10mg adjustments. I went from 240 oxy a day to 80mg opana a day and had severe spasms in my intestines sick to my stomach and could not eat. After i got it built back up to 120 mg of opana( the equivalant) of oxy it all went away. So sometimes I think the reported side effects of this drug the first few weeks is more the side effects of cooming off the current medications and making the switch to Opana. I am not sure yet if it is better than oxy was for my pain control for full body rsd but I am going to give it 4 to 6 weeks of a constant dose before i decide.

Related Reading: opana

Comment from: pdwlsn, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 13

Opana is a life saver for me. It helps all of my pain I was taking 5 percocets a day before the Opana now I take 20 mg twice a day and percets for break thru. I have a lot of different pain but the worst is when I broke my heel at work a year ago. I still have problems with it 2 screws have gone thru the bone and into the soft tissue. I am walking on a bone spur and Opana. Before I started taking the Opana I could not walk into store and buy milk without being almost in tears by the time I got out. Now I can actually walk into a store and do all of my grocary shopping. I still need the heel operated on again but the Opana has given me a summer and fall without being disabled to do anything. I was in a cast for almost a year when I broke the heel.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 18

I had become dependent on a variety of different drugs including oxycodone and hydrocodone. All I did was sleep too much, not want to go anywhere, and watch tv (especially when I had break through pain and sometimes took more for it). I tried to stop taking pain medication but I was in so much pain that I could barely work. I have been on Opana for about a week and a half now and feeling great. The pain is liveable now, I am still active and able to complete my daily activities, and I don't find myself having as much breakthrough pain. For me, this drug is working great and has saved my life!

Related Reading: hydrocodone

Comment from: jitterbug, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 05

I had trouble tolerating OpanaER and IR at first. After I had been on it about 2 weeks, the side effects went away. Then I realized how well it was managing my pain. The only thing I have had to work with is making sure I take it at specific times or I will start having withdraw symptoms. I can tell if I miss my scheduled dose by one to two hours. But, it works better than anything else I've taken (methadone, oxycontin, dilaudid and several others). I was in a car accident when I was 21yrs old. It ruptured a disc in my neck (between C5 and C6),so it had to be removed. It has been 23yrs ago and now I have two more discs that are bulging along with facet joint problems. This medicine has allowed me to do so much more with my family without being miserable. I HIGHLY recommend OpanaER and IR for breakthrough pain.

Related Reading: oxycontin | dilaudid | ruptured

Comment from: jjyeker, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 19

Since around the early 90's I have taken many pain meds and I suppose I have grown immune to most of the pain meds. This seems to take more of my pain away and hopefully can have have a better life to share with my family.

Comment from: Intractable, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

Opana er 40mg x 4 a day & cost $16 a pill and new formula is a complete rip off!!! BA is stated 10 percent more like 0. Goes to show how people in pain are done in this child proof country.

Related Reading: opana er

Comment from: indylady, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 25

I have been on opana er 30mg for almost a year and it was working great (1st med's that really eased my pain) & I have had chronic pain for 23 yrs but this past week I got the new one's shaped like sweet tarts and they make me very sick to my stomach and I always find about 3/4 of it in my stool an no ease of my pain what so ever and now with my bad knee's, back problem's & having fibro, I can't do things I need done & hurt's to walk so all I do now is sit around and now very depressed because I CAN'T do anything! My pharmacist told me they changed them so people can't crush them to snort or shoot up! I wish they would go back to the old one's but I know they won't so now I have to wait almost a month without any pain medicine til I go back to the doctor (cause I have stopped taking them)to be put on something else because I can't stand being sick to my stomach & throwing up. I hope they don't make all medicine's like opana er's or those of us that NEED pain medicine will be up a creek without a paddle!

Related Reading: opana er | chronic pain | opana

Comment from: appaled, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 24

Been on pain meds over 12 years. Past six months OPANA ER was the most effective pain medication to date to help alleviate most of my chronic pain issues. However I just began taking the new crush resistent tabs 40m.g.x2per day for a week now. For whatever reason there has been almost no relief. terrible stomach aches. Im certain this new product has not dissovled in my stomach,noticed whole tab in my stool. I contacted manufacturer about. Did not recieve no good reason but was shocked when they told me this new product was not tested on humans. Im done with it . Shame on ENDO PHAM>>

FDA Logo