Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Comment from: BC PILL ADVOCATE35-44on Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 14

I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo for 22 years (from age 18-40), used no other form of birth control, and never got pregnant once. It did not cause me to gain any extra weight (no more than age-related weight, at 18 I weighed 117 pounds, at age 40 I weighed 130. It also controlled my acne. Once I turned 40, I got my tubes tied and stopped taking this pill. My acne got worse, and I was one of the .08 percent of women to almost die from an ectopic pregnancy at age 41. I should have just stayed on that pill! Ultimately, I think I'll go back on the pill just to regulate my periods now, even though I no longer need it for birth control. They completely removed my fallopian tubes. What an ordeal.

Related Reading: ortho tri-cyclen lo | acne | pregnancy

Comment from: BCPreview25-34on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: November 28

I have been on Tricera Lo for 9 years now. It has regulated my periods and made my skin clear. I tried going off of it and noticed my boobs decreased in size! I highly recommend this pill. And of course- never got pregnant.

Comment from: 25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: November 10

Every day I feel nauseous and close to throwing up. I spot and bleed almost 2 weeks before my period is even due. The bloating and hormonal mood swings definitely don't help either. After I finish this pack I am sooo done

Comment from: Hesther B.19-24on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: January 16

I was happy with this birth control for 2 years until it gave me blood clots in my groin and lungs. Now I have to change everything, including my lifestyle. You never think it could happen to you, especially at 22 years old.

Related Reading: blood clots

Comment from: Xcsarah19-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: July 28

I started taking this as a way to reduce my acne and then a year later for birth control. My acne became less severe, but breakouts became more frequent and much more closely tied to periods--where I used to have a couple of bad zits most of the time, I started getting a larger breakout of small pimples all over my face, shoulders and back for about a week and a half each month. It at least got rid of the cystic acne, which had been causing scarring which I still have to this day. Periods became more severe but shorter (1-3 days of heavy bleeding on this pill, vs 3-5 days of medium bleeding off it). Fortunately mood swings were much less and I was actually able to lose some weight. Unfortunately, just one month after starting to use this as my sole contraceptive, I became pregnant, despite taking the pill religiously at the same time every day. Though I love my daughter, I'll never again trust this med!

Related Reading: acne | cystic acne

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 29

I was put on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo about 2 months ago by my doctor I am 18 years old and this was the first birth control I had ever been on so I was terrified. I had heard horror stories about this specific pill so that didn’t make it any easier lol I figured every body was different and even after all the negativity I went ahead and tried it. The first couple of days everything was fine I didn’t feel a thing for a second I even asked myself “is this even working?” Then around the fourth or fifth day I had one of the worst experiences I’ve ever had in my life I was woken up by cold sweats bad anxiety and an upset stomach I had to stay home from work for the next 2 days I called my doctor and she said that my body was probably just reacting to it she said to give it a couple of days and if it didn’t go away to go back and see her. I was fortunate enough and all that went away by around the third day and ever since I haven’t felt a thing! My period is still regular how it should be I’ve had zero breakouts! zero weight gain! Great sex drive! And well the best part I’m not pregnant! to any ladies out there please please do not stress over this especially if it’s your first time getting on the pill it’ll be okay! If something doesn’t work for you there is other options! Every body is different! :)

Related Reading: anxiety | stress

Comment from: sgthree19-24on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 23

Hello, my doctor prescribed this brand to me after I tried to take alysena 28 and had horrible side effects, this one has given me very sore breasts, nausea to the point of almost throwing up, and bloating. almost immediately after taking it my stomach acts up however my doctor claims it will go away within three months, so far I have not had any positive side effects from this medicine.

Comment from: rpvmaryam19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 09

Ortho Tri-Cyclen lo Lo is GODSEND to me for someone who is sensitive to hormones and has PCOS, I made my insurance cover it because I'm sensitive to hormones. I went to pick up my pack and was told by 3 Different pharmacies this Birth Control Is being discontinued by manufacturer. I called Janseen company which is the manufactur where the lady who is in charge of answering questions about OTCL brushed me off and said that it is still available and would not tell me why all pharmacies are saying the same thing and would not tell me if its actually discontinued. If my pharmacy is telling me this info why are you guys being secretive about it? PLEASE DO NOT DISCONTINUE THIS PRODUCT. MANY WOMEN LIKE ME CAN'T TOLERATE GARBAGE GENERICS SUCH AS TRI-MARIZA OR TRI LO SPRINTEC AND WILL PAY FOR THE REAL THING. THERE IS A THREAD THAT IS 22 PAGES LONG OF COMMENTS FROM WOMEN who hate the generics and switch back immediately and are willing to pay out of pocket

Related Reading: ortho tri-cyclen lo | sprintec

Comment from: Mel35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 14

Ortho tri cyclen lo was prescribed to me because of my horrible pms and painful periods. I'm 42 years old and was worried about stroke, etc.so the dr wanted me on the lo estrogen pill. This pill was great until I started getting my migraines back. I hadn't had a migraine in 10 years then after a week on this pill I got one. I thought it was a fluke so I stayed on it another month and I got another migraine. I felt good otherwise. The doc said the tri phasic pills can cause people with migraine to get more migraines. So I switched to sprintec, a mono phasic pill, and the migraines are gone and minimal side effects.

Related Reading: stroke | sprintec

Comment from: 1919-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 13

I took this birth control hoping it would help with my periods but it did the opposite. I am a hormonal monster because of this bc and my periods and cramps have gotten worse. I now have 2 a month. I would not recommended this bc.

QUESTION