Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo

Comment from: Dee, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 15

I was taking this birth control for 1.5 years. In the beginning it made me very nauseous, but after a few weeks it got better. After a while i started to have no desire for sex. I thought it was normal. I thought I could go the rest of my life without having sex, it was horrible. After I stopped taking the pill, the sex got a lot better, and more enjoyable.

Comment from: Satisfied, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 30

I just started using Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, and I have been very pleased with my experience so far. First, a little background. I am 32, never used hormonal birth control methods before, and I have regular periods. I was nervous about using the pill due to the horror stories you read online. I am grateful that my experience has been mostly positive. The first night I took it, I had some diarrhea, but then my stomach was fine. I took it on the "day one" start, and my period was noticeably heavier. Then, it stopped completely after 4 days. Ever since, I have had one day of abdominal pain that felt like gas or extreme hunger pains. My appetite has been actually lower, and I crave fruits and veggies! Wasn't expecting that! I have actually lost weight, and my face seems to be a little duller, but clearer. Reviews are a great way to become informed about a product, but don't get too freaked out by negative reviews. Everyone's body is different and you have to try the medication for yourself. It's easy to get caught up with the weight-gain myths with birth control pills, as well. A nurse friend of mine who has worked in the OB/GYN business for a long time said that BC pills do not necessarily make you gain weight automatically. Instead, they sometimes increase your appetite and subsequently, you choose to eat more. If you choose to eat junk, you will gain weight. It's not necessarily the pill's fault. We have to take responsibility for our food choices.

Related Reading: diarrhea | abdominal pain

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 01

I switched to this pill because others have given me just about every side effect possible and the last one I was on (microgestin fe 1.5/30) made me break out horribly. The first two months of the ortho tri-cyclen lo were brutal, which my doctor warned me about. Horrible crying, acne and overall depression. However, during the third month the acne started to clear up and all of a sudden I went back to my normal happy self. I'm not pregnant, so it obviously does its job and I think it was worth the two initial months of bad side effects to get to what I wanted. This is also the first birth control pill I've ever thought highly enough of to give it a rating online. Don't be freaked out by bad reviews - most of them are people that didn't wait longer than a month or two before deciding it wasn't going to work, which isn't enough time for your body to adjust to ANY pill.

Related Reading: ortho tri-cyclen lo | acne | depression

Comment from: Rachele, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

Today I bought tri-sprintec because ortho tri cyclen lo, the pill that I have used for years, is now out of my price range because I no longer have insurance. I was nervous about taking a new pill so I wanted to look at what people were saying about it. Many of the comments were negative, so I decided to look at Ortho tri cyclen lo comments. Again, almost all were negative. Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo has been so wonderful to me for so many years. I have not gained any weight, have not had mood swings, and I still love having sex with my boyfriend. What it comes down to is that every woman is different and will react differently to different birth control. In order to know how you will react you can only use trial and error. I love this pill, and despite bad stories you should try it.

Related Reading: tri-sprintec

Comment from: Riansal88, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 18

I've tried all types of prescription BC... but this has to be my favorite. I've been on it for about a year now. No weight gain, No mood swings, lighter/shorter periods, and better skin. The best benefit for me..it doesn't affect my sex drive :) I have no complaints!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 14

I was originally switched to this pill because my OB/GYN was concerned about the side effects of the standard OTC. Well, sure enough, after taking it religiously for several months, we are pregnant with our second child. I never missed a pill, took antibiotics, anything. And while we are very excited to be expecting again, we weren't really planning on it to be so soon. Our children will be 20 1/2 months apart. I do not recommend this pill. I hope it works better for others than it did for me. We will be trying Yaz next!!

Related Reading: yaz

Comment from: Lexie, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 10

I'm 15 and started taking birth control in september of 2011. For the last year birth control was my enemy. I hated everything my doctor gave me. He first put me on Depo provera for 3 months and it was terrible. I had my period for 2 weeks straight, my skin was horrible, I was always depressed, tired, and sore. Then I was put on Lo loestrin fe, and that was also terrible, my skin was bad, I gained weight, and MY HAIR WAS FALLING OUT! So I decided to switch doctors, the woman gave me ortho tri cyclen lo and I love it<3 I'm on my 5th month, it's done wonders. My skin went back to normal, my hair stopped falling out, I was able to lose weight, and I feel like a person again. Even though I'm not a fan of getting my period every month or the cost of it I LOVE ORTHO TRI CYCLEN LO!

Related Reading: provera | lo loestrin fe

Comment from: mylesj24, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 07

I have been taking it for 6 months now and I was scared to death to take it because of all the horrible things i kept reading about what people were saying but i am totally satisfied with it and i think all those people that had problems with it just have other problems to begin with. I am 27 and i would tell anyone that asked me that they should try it.

Published: December 19

The pills are so tiny that sometimes I wonder if I actually swallowed it or if it got back washed but when I look in my glass nothing is there, so it's really easy to take. I can't even tell that I'm taking it because I have had no side effects

Comment from: behmer87, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 06

I experienced extreme mood swings, depression, crying for no reason and about 5 pounds of water weight gain. I was a basket case beyond all things, which is very different from my normal PMS or mood. Switched to Yaz, already feel better. Not moody, very happy.

Related Reading: depression | yaz

Comment from: sunlika, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 20

Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 06

I've taken Ortho tri cyclen-Lo for 7 years now. I never had any acne or weight gain issues. It has been very good for me other than the nausea in the first couple doses, however, I think this is my own fault for taking them in the morning on an empty stomach. I have been very pleased with this medication other than the cost.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: Hormone crazy teenager, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 22

I have just recently started taking this drug for the purpose of birth control and acne. I haven't been through an entire pill pack yet, but let me just say that this specific birth control causes hormones to go absolutely nuts. I regularly experience nausea and mood swings that can just ruin a day. I've been way more irritable than normal and everything upsets me. In terms of birth control, the pill works well. I've had no pregnancy scares. I am disappointed that taking the pill hasn't done anything for my acne yet but I don't think I've been taking it long enough to see results. Although it's a lower dose of hormones, I would not recommend this medicine if you already become extremely irritable in reaction to hormones around your period every month. I've noticed that my sex drive has decreased slightly and I have felt depressed occasionally. Overall, the pros outweigh the cons and I'd recommend this birth control to teenage girls particularly.

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: seven years protected, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 16

I have used OTL for 7 years (still using) I have never had a pregnancy scare or any other problems. I am 120 lbs I am not a health nut and do not exercise. Despite my lifestyle this pill has done every thing from relive my period pain to preventing pregnancy.

Comment from: dw, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been taking this pill for about 7 years. I think it is a effective BC. I have light periods,hardly any acne,slight bloating. But overall it's good. I thought about switching at one point, but why switch something that works well for you right?.. everyone is different. Just remember that.hope this helps (:

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 25

I started taking Ortho Lo after trying 4 other low dose birth control pills that either gave me headaches, chronic UTIs, moodiness, etc. Ortho Lo was the only pill that I have not noticed any unwanted side effects from. I have been taking birth control for over 7 years now and the Ortho Lo specifically for about 3. I would recommend trying this pill if others have not worked well for you.

Comment from: DawnD, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I spot quite bit about 2 weeks before my period. It can be quite heavy as though I am having my period for a day or two. I have been taking this for about two years now and it hasn't gotten better.

Comment from: hawaii50, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 16

This pill made me absolutely NUTS. I stopped on the 2nd week because well i am either gonna kill someone or run into oncoming traffic. This is not the pill for me.

Comment from: a.rod10, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 08

I started taking this exactly a year ago. When I first started I had a horrible migraine about maybe 2 or 3 weeks in. It was horrible and decided hey I am going to just finish the month. Then I decided 1 more month because I already had the pills and I have not gone off until this week. The past year was good on the birth control front (although I tend to use condoms anyway with the occasional exception) but I have gained weight maybe 15-20 lbs. My diet has not really changed other than the fact that I crave alot of snacks. But I do snack about the same amount that I did before and my diet has not changed so I have come down to the conclusion of it has to be my BC. I am thinking of going a month without it and seeing how I feel and if not I may just go back on. I have been on BC for almost 3 years and I do feel like I should give my body a break. Lets see how it goes.

Comment from: InvertedCaneSugar, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 20

For the first few weeks I had trouble with mood swings and it was almost impossible not to cry when something emotional happened, but those effects went away. I've never had much of an issue with acne before. I always got compliments on my complexion but now I have some on my forehead. Which I am willing to deal with considering I grew a cup size. Which I am REALLY happy with because I'm 18 and was, until now, on the small side of an A cup. I am also not pregnant, which is always a plus, and my boobs are still growing after three months. Seems pretty awesome to me. I didn't think they would ever grow. My only major complaint about the pills, other than the acne, is that I now have some cramping and bloating on my period that I didn't have before. But I think I prefer that to the unpredictably random periods I used to have... All in all I'm really satisfied. Especially with the breast growth... I think it's time for new bras!

Comment from: rlg82, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 31

I have only been on this pill for 20 days now and will not take any more. I have experienced just about every possible side effect: weight gain (which prior to starting I had lost 30# so this really sucks), breast tenderness, mood swings, depression, headaches, cramping and I can not sleep! I have had issues with pills in the past but never like this. Plus did I mention I now have what my husband calls my 3 o'clock shadow! Sure I'm not pregnant but w/ all these issues I think I would rather have another baby then deal w/ all this.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

I had to stop taking this medication, due to severe migraines and depression. I had tried it once before and experienced similar unpleasant side effects within the first month. This one just isn't for me. I had the worst headache of my life, it was so severe, I was sick to my stomach, and we nearly went to the emergency room. I'm sure it is effective as a birth control, and it regulated my periods, but the side effects were affecting my work, and they just aren't worth it. I'm going to talk to my doctor and try a different type of birth control.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: DaphneL, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 03

I am 100% satisfied with this BC. I use it mainly for not getting pregnant. I have been using this for 2 years straight and have had no problems at all. I don't get any side effects. The only notable symptoms are breast tenderness the week before I get my period, which has been normal for me even before I started taking this BC. This BC has improved my acne problems, cramps during the first two days of my period, VERY PUNCTUAL period every single month at exactly 28 days. Even on multiple times when I miss a day or am late taking the pill, it doesn't affect the effectiveness of the pill, any other symptoms, and I haven't ever experienced spotting under this pill. This is the first and only BC brand I've ever used, and I love it so much, I would recommend it to anyone who is interested to try this brand out. The only downside is that this brand is VERY expensive.

Related Reading: getting pregnant

Comment from: CSA, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 21

It’s kind of hard for me to hate this BC because for me, it’s pretty much worked as it should with relatively few side effects. I’d recommend trying it if you’re curious - it might work okay for you. It didn’t affect my sex drive or aggravate my mood disorder/depression (well, hard to say, but I don’t think it did), and of course, I didn’t get pregnant, so big plus there. However, despite exercise and a VERY healthy diet (I’m vegan, only eat plant-based whole foods), I’ve packed on nearly 20 lbs in a year and it will NOT come off. Like even desperate measures (as in extreme calorie restriction, increased cardio/interval training, etc.) have zero effect. I’ll run sprints every morning for three weeks and not lose an ounce. Seriously. And the worst part is, it’s all gone to my middle! Bigger boobs? No way. Love handles and a big gut? Oh yeah, I’m rocking that, thanks, Tri-cyclen. I’m so relieved to see other people on here say that this pill gave them a huge faux-preggo belly, because that’s exactly what it’s done to me. I’m an otherwise very slim person, so yeah, I look just like a marshmallow with toothpicks sticking out of it for arms and legs now lol. Conclusion: no, you won’t get pregnant but you might very well look pregnant by the time you’re done with this stuff. I’m increasingly wary of the dangers of hormonal BC anyway, so I am really looking forward to switching to non-hormonal birth control (either a copper IUD or a fertility-planning method like Lady Comp) as soon as I’m able to.

Related Reading: depression | copper

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 25

I'm 25 and I didn't go on birth control until last year because I was skeptical about it. I didn't like the idea of having to take it at the same time everyday and I was afraid I'd gain weight. I talked to my doctor and she recommended ortho tri cyclen lo. I'm on the generic brand of it but I've never had any issues. The first couple weeks I spotted a little but it was just my body getting used to the pill, after that everything evened out. It's easy to use, I haven't gained weight and it's very effective because I have never had any type of a pregnancy scare while on it. I would recommend it to anyone :)

Related Reading: pregnancy