OsmoPrep

Comment from: jdmarco, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 13

Unfortunately, I experienced almost all of the side effects associated with the use of the osmoprep pills. My concern is that,at 130 pounds, I had to take 32 pills.

Related Reading: osmoprep

Comment from: Debbis312, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 08

I was very nervous about taking this drug after reading a number of negative reviews. However, I fortunately did not experience any bad side effects. My doctor does not normally prescribe this drug and gave it to me only because I requested to take pills. As a result, his staff did not even know the correct times to tell me to take it. The directions say to take the first regimen the evening before and the second one 3-5 hours before your procedure. I strongly agree with the reviewer who wrote this is soooo wrong. You shouldn't have anything to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to anesthesia. This is way too late and you'll notice that people who wrote they did that were the ones having a problem in the morning. On the other hand, a friend of mine took the pills at noon and 4pm the day before the procedure. I thought that seemed too early. So after researching the times that a lot of people took the pills, I made my own decision to go inbetween - I started the first round at 3pm and the second one at 8pm (I had to be at the hospital at 8:30am for a 10:30am procedure). This worked out perfectly. Bathroom runs started around 4pm and by midnight I was pretty much done. I was able to sleep through the night from 12:30 until 7am. Felt ok in the morning and doc told me I did a great job of cleansing. As far as the nausea/vomiting reported by several, I did not experience any. But I also want to point out that although I started taking the pills at 3pm, I had NOTHING to eat from the time I woke up that day. Don't know if it's related, but I wonder if that helps to prevent nausea. Also, as several people reported, I drank MORE than the recommended amount of liquid. As I don't like Gatorade and instructions were to drink any liquid, I took all the pills with just water. The only think I ate the whole day were a few bowls of sugar free lemon jello. I would definitely use this method again - remember, don't eat for 12 hours before starting pills and drink a lot of water!

Comment from: Ellen, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 16

I have Crohn's desease and so must have a colonoscopy fairly often. I have experience with the all the other vile tasting prescription cleansing products and By far, Osmoprep Oral is the easiest, most effective, and least unpleasant of them all. It is a tablet so there is no taste at all. I had no side effects with it. It makes the prep process a nonevent. It's wonderful.

Related Reading: osmoprep

Comment from: Marto, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

I am sorry some others have had difficulty with this product, however, I could not be more pleased. This made what used to be an unpleasant experience into a minor inconvenience. I will demand these pills again, and I won't delay or dread it again.

Comment from: tommi, 45-54 (Patient) Published: November 07

I have had several colonoscopies over the course of 16 years. I have tried most of the preps offered. My most recent procedure I used OsmoPrep, only because I read about it online. I had to ask my doctor for it and he didn't want to give it to me. I insisted and he finally agreed. Compared to drinking all the really gross stuff, this was a breeze. I will be using it again for my next colonoscopy. Make sure to drink alot more than the directions tell you.

Comment from: Smitty0528, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 11

I was quite stressed with having to go through this process but after taking the pills its not so bad. Took the first 20, I broke them in half so it was easier to swallow. When I got #17 I was already going to the bathroom! lol No biggies though.No nausea or vomiting throughout the whole process and I have a sensitive stomach as I have GERD. I started the process at 2p. I went to the bathroom several times, no cramping AT ALL. Your belly gurgles and you know its time to head to the bathroom. Started last 12 pills at 10p was going pretty clear by then. I went to bed at 1am, got up 3 times to go...my appt was for 7:30a. Last time I went was 7am. No issues. No headaches...no cramps...no discomfort. No kidney problems. I will take the pills again if I need to get a colonoscopy again.

Related Reading: gerd

Comment from: stlman, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 29

My expectations were mixed for this drug after reading all the online comments about patients becoming sick and/or other reactions. This is the first time I’ve gone for a colonoscopy, I am a 34 year old male that weighs around 195 lbs. My doctor wanted one done due to family history. I have no known health issues. I took the first 20 pills with very little reaction, my stomach started to rumble a little and make noises almost like I was hungry. I made sure that I had lots to drink (Gatorade & water) before, during and after the pill sequence. I don’t think I ever put down my jug of water while taking the first 20 sequence. About 70 minutes after the first set of pills I had to use the bathroom 3 times in 20 minutes but it was not too bad. Again my stomach kept making noises but no real pain. I think all the water I drank was making me feel a little bloated but that was it, no other side effects. After taking the second set of 12 the bathroom visits really started in. I probably had to go every 5-10 minutes for an hour straight. I kept drinking water but it seemed to go straight through on the trips to the bathroom. Again at this time I felt none of the symptoms described by others, mostly just kind of a "blah" feeling if that makes sense. For all I know it could have been the fasting that made me feel this way. My appointment was for 1:30 the next afternoon so I took my pills at 5 and 9pm, I was able to sleep from midnight until 6:30am with no trips to the bathroom. I had to make 2 trips the next morning but that was it. So compared to others I thought the pills were great, again its a little hard to tell what’s worse the fasting or overall prepping. After the procedure I experienced no adverse effects from the pills and felt 100% back to normal the following day. I did not give 5 stars on the last two categories simply because this was my first colonoscopy and I have no other baseline to compare against.

Comment from: drug rep, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 27

This was my 4th colonoscopy. Swallowing 32 large OsmoPrep pills is far better than drinking the seemingly never ending amount of nauseating, enormously offensive tasting liquid. 5 Stars for Ease of Use. It was a more gentle emptying of the bowel than the liquid. Although it took 3 1/2 hours to begin when it was supposed to begin in 1 hour. The colonoscopy successfully took place but I think the liquid did a more through job. Effectiveness 4 Stars. While I am overwhemingly satisified not to have to drink the liquid, it has been 2 days since the procedure and I am still experiencing cramping after eating. That has not ever happened with the liquid. If this side effect had not happened (I am not sure when it will end) I would be vastly satisfied with this drug. Satistaction 3 stars.

Comment from: Osmo-prep pills, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 05

3rd colonoscopy - best experience ever. Pills worked perfectly - no side effects except for slight headache. Stopped eating solids after lite lunch on Monday. Chicken broth Monday night, hot tea Tuesday morning, popsicle mid-morning, chicken broth lunch and dinner. Lots and lots of liquids. Started with 4 pills at 5PM Tuesday with 8 oz. apple juice, every 15 minutes the same until 20th pill at 6PM. Started working very effectively at 6PM. Kept drinking lots of fluids. Never felt nauseous or bloated. Slight cramping at around 8:30 and again an hour later - no big deal. Went to sleep around 11:30 and only got up once during the night. Started pills again with apple juice at 7:45 AM- same regimen and finished at 8:15. Started working immediately. Completely clear by 11AM. Nothing more by mouth after 11 - procedure at 3:30PM today. No more urges to use the bathroom by 12:30 - had to be there for 2PM. My doctor was very skeptical about the effectiveness of the pills but I was determined to show him that they really do work. I am a 63 year old female with polyps on 2 previous procedures and a father who had stage 3 colo-rectal cancer. 3 more polyps were found today. This procedure is not an option for me - it is a life-saving procedure and I am thrilled that the pills work so well. One very important hint - the use of wipes with aloe and Desitin cream is extremely helpful.

Related Reading: headache | cancer | aloe

Comment from: waabb, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 03

I decided to take the pills as an alternative to drinking the large,horrible drink preceding a colonoscopy. Although I would agree that the pills were highly effective and easy to use, I found the side effects not worth using it. I have been nauseous, have very little appetite and severe stomach pains after several days of taking the pills. I would NEVER take them again. I would opt for a combination of pills & liquid in the future, if I ever decide to have the test done again. It's unfortunate that the test isn't the problem-it's the prep that makes it so unpleasant. It's no wonder people dread having colonoscopies done!

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

After hearing horror stories about drinking a nasty tasting liquid, I was glad to have an alternative. I had no side affects and it worked very well without causing cramps.

Comment from: MaryJane, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 05

The Osmoprep medication is expensive. The actual price was $75 dollars. And because of my insurance I paid 25 dollars. The price is outrageous! The recommended dossage: 20 Osmoprep tablets(4 tablets every 15 minutes for an hour) and then 6 hours later taking another 12 tablets in 15-minute increments for 45 minutes. This whole process seemed excessive. Started the process on the day before the procedure at 3 pm and ended around 12 midnight.. halfway through the process, I experienced an extremely painful burning sensation every time I went to the bathroom, which I attribute to the osmoprep medication. In contrast, the last time I used a Fleet product at a cost of about 5 dollars. All I had to do was mix the appropropriate amount of Fleet with a glass of water.. and then repeat about 5 hours later... done. In both cases, I did drink about 1.5 gallons of ice tea to stay hydrated, starting in the morning of the day before the procedure. This is very important .. and ice tea tastes better than water or any other prep concoction. I did speak with my physician about the Osmopre experience and I will not use this product again for the above mentioned reasons.

Related Reading: osmoprep

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 01

I weigh 125lbs, and I got away with taking only 16 out of the 32 pills. I think the pills were horrible and it was really tough to have to sit there ant take them every 15 minutes. It is great to be nauseous, starving, tired and weak, and have to chuck down pills every 15 minutes...JUNK!!

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 04

I have Crohn's Disease and have has 3 endoscopy procedures in the last 5 years. The previous two use one of the "drink a gallon of really nasty liquid" preps. This time I took 4 tablets with a cup (8 oz) or water every 15 minutes for an hour in the evening and then again in the morning prior to my procedure. The pills were mostly tasteless and easy to swallow one at a time. It took several hours for it to start working and lasted for about an hour. There was some minor nausea but went away when I drank a little bit of water. There is no comparison between using Osmoprep and the other preps that I have used. My doctor would have a battle getting me to use anything else in the future!

Related Reading: crohn's disease

Comment from: Jan, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

I had undiagnosed hypthyroidism at the time I was perscribed OsmoPrep for a colonoscopy. I had a very bad reaction after the first dose of pills and ended up in Intensive Care for 2 days, which is when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. If you have any kind of medical condition or if a particular condition runs in your family (my dad has hypothroidism), read up on this medication before you take it. (People with hypothroidism should not take this medication.) It's been almost a year and I can't put off doing the test much longer. I'm going with the liquid only so hopefully all will go well.

Related Reading: osmoprep | hypothyroidism

Comment from: jerseygirl, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 08

I was prescribed this medication for my first colonoscopy. Had no idea what to expect but felt lucky I didn't have to drink the liquid after hearing about it from others. Instructions were to consume 32 pills; 20 within one hour (4 pills every 15 minutes)the night before the procedure and 12 pills 5 hours prior to the procedure. Started the pills at 7:00 p.m. the night before. Had no problem getting them down with a cold 8oz glass of water using a straw each time. Got a horrible headache almost immediately and felt nauseous but did not get sick. Had a few bouts of diarrhea about 45 minutes after the first dose but was able to sleep from 9:00 - 11:30 p.m. After that, I didn't sleep all night, running to the bathroom almost constantly. Consumed the last 12 pills starting at 3:00 a.m. Had to be at the SurgiCenter at 7:30 a.m. and was still running to the bathroom once I got there. Lots of intense cramping all the way through the process. Not a pleasant experience at all. Received an "Excellent" rating from the Dr. on my prep work so the pills definitely did the job. I am still cramping the day after the procedure and have had a few loose BM's. I am only able to eat very small amounts; my stomach isn't quite back to normal.

Related Reading: headache | diarrhea

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 01

For my 3rd colonoscopy, I chose Osmoprep so I could just drink water or tea instead of that great quantity of one, rather sweet liquid. After the firt round of 5 doses, I was naseous, headachy, and miserable. The fact the I vomited just before time to start the final round was the only thing that enabled me to finish. Felt OK in the morning and test was uneventful. Another round of nausea hit last night after walking from bedroom to kitchen. OK on waking the morning after, but still am a little off-balance. Won't repeat this one. FYI: weight 130, age 67.

Related Reading: osmoprep

Comment from: Vicki L, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

The drug definitely did its job and was far better than drinking excessive amounts of disgusting liquid. However, it is now 5 days since my colonoscopy and my mouth still tastes like I am sucking on salt. I did not read this in any of the listed side effects and may call the Dr to see if there is something to be done.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 30

Pills were easy to swallow and I had no side effects. I drank Gatorade before during and after the total prep. The pills started to take effect one hour after the first round of 20 pills. I would highly recommend this prep, but be sure to drink Gatorade and have salty soup.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 07

Although the use of the osmoprep was simple, the side effects quickly took away any of the positive points. I immediately started vomiting after the first course of pills and developed a rash on both sides of my face as well as inflammation of the facial area. The worse part was that even five days later I was still experiencing very painful stomach cramps and still having very fluid diarrhea. I haven't been able to fully rest after my procedure due to constantly having to go to the bathroom after I've eaten or because of the pain. As much as I hate the liquid alternative, I refuse to use osmoprep again.

Related Reading: osmoprep | rash

Comment from: kiwi1982, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 22

taking the pills was easier ,only negative report pills are very large and salty.it cleanse you very well.would take this medication again.

Comment from: Nette, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

I could not drink even one glass of the gallon colon prep! Using the pill method was so easy and you can drink liquids that taste good to you! I had my colonoscopy yesterday & it all went great!

Comment from: eal, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 21

For those of you who have had to force down 4 liters of Golyghtly-like preps, BELIEVE ME, these pills are a dream...

Comment from: Janet, Rossville, GA, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 22

DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION IF YOU HAVE LIVER DISEASE. This drug came with NO Warnings to indicate that I should not take it. I read all information supplied to me prior to taking it. After I was admitted to the hospital (for a 2 week stay), it only took 5 minutes of research to find a report from the Mayo Clinic that urges doctors NOT TO ADMINISTER TO LIVER PATIENTS. The result?????? ACUTE KIDNEY FAILURE. That was May 24, 2007. As of today, Feb. 22, 2008, I have tremors, volitale blood pressure, suicidal itch, weight loss, Numerous diet restrictions. My MELD score was a 6 before OSMOPREP. Today, 9 months later it is 19. I had used Go-Lytely previously with no adverse effects. This drug has changed my life forever.

Related Reading: liver | kidney failure | tremors

Comment from: Mak10, 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 04

I have used this prep in the past without any issues. I can not tolerate the gallon prep or Miralax preps without vomiting everything back up. I was instructed to take Osmoprep at 5:00 pm, 4 tablets every 15 min (total of 20) the day before the colonoscopy and then 4 tablets every 15 min (total of 12) 3-5 hours before procedure. The first evening, about 2 hours after taking the last dose, I vomited. Not fun. Then about 30 min later, the prep started to work.. It continued for about 5 hours. I got a really bad headache and stomach cramps. Then at 0700, the day of the prep, I took remaining pills. About 2 hours later, it kicked in full force. My colonoscopy was at 1:00 pm and I was still using the restroom. I had a good cleansing. So that part is good. It's now 10:00 pm and I still feel bloated, nauseated, I have a headache, and still using the rest room, I hope it stops soon, because this is ridiculous. I don't know if I could do this again or not. I hope by the time I need my next colonoscopy in 5 years, there will be something better out there. It was easier to swollow the pills with apple juice than water. Anything to hide the salt flavor. Although after vomiting the apple juice with the salt flavor, not sure I can ever drink apple juice or Gatorade ever again!

Related Reading: miralax | osmoprep | headache