Ovide

Comment from: mbb, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: December 14

This medicine works wonders for lice! I have used several different kids of OTC lice products to no avail. I have 4 kids who always seem to bring home lice a few times a year. We had it 1 time almost 2 months. Finally the doctor gave us ovide and I was amazed it work so well, it's been 2 years now and no lice here.

Related Reading: ovide

Comment from: BarbaraJ1980, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 25

My 9 year old daughter had OTC resistant head lice. I tried everything under the sun to rid our house of them. She was prescribed ovide as a last resort and it killed them all. She's been head lice free for well over a year. The only drawback is it smells TERRIBLE!! It burned my eyes just applying it to her head but she had no side effects and it killed the little monsters with no follow up application needed...

Related Reading: head lice

Comment from: BuckeyeGirlTammy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 31

After several weeks riding the "lice merry-go-round", using Rid and Nix, nitpicking, vacuuming, bagging and washing everything and everyone in the house, I finally heard about Rx Ovide. It is a miracle drug!! Although the smell is atrocious (I think the lice commit suicide at first whiff), I will gladly have all my kids smell like Pine-Sol than to suffer head lice infestation again. The best thing about Ovide is that it also kills the nits. This is vitally important in the battle against lice, particularly if you're self-treating and have no one willing to diligently pick nits out of your hair. I treated my nephew's hair first. This medication is so strong that as I was applying it to the first section of his head, I looked down at my hand and discovered two dead bugs. It killed them on first contact. He also had many fewer nits after we washed his hair 12 hours later. I would recommend applying around 2 hours or so before bedtime to allow it time to dry in your hair and to put a towel down to protect pillowcase. I had to wash hair twice in morning to remove all of the product but had the added benefit of an oil treatment, which my hair so desperately needed after using the drying pesticides. If the kids ever bring lice home from school again, I'll use Ovide first rather than last.. My doc and pharmacist both said that that the lice in our area is resistant to OTC treatment. Our pediatrician is recommending Sklice for younger kids and Ovide for older kids.. Both kill eggs and you don't have to remove nits, though why anyone would want to leave them is beyond me..

Related Reading: ovide | suicide | sklice

Comment from: debbie7304e, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 08

We tried unsucessfully for years to get rid of our problem and nothing worked. We tried Ovide and it worked great. We didn't even need to use a fine tooth comb afterward to get rid of the nits. They came out on the own over the next few days with regular brushing. I was so impressed with this medicine. We had fought and won small battles but nothing worked for very long. We used this in 2001 and have not had any come back. As soon as one of my kids says that a classmate has headlice, I call the doc for a prescription because I know it will work. Thanks!

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: November 24

two years ago my daughter came home with lice from preschool. Turns out we all had it so we treated and everyone but her we managed to get rid of with over the counter medication. She has the thickest hair and very hard to see all the nits. So, after almost 2 months of dealing with just her with lice, I called the doctor crying. They had to prescribe the Nix script because Medicaid would not pay for the Ovide if we didn't try the other stuff. of course it did not work. Called back in tears 2 weeks later and they prescribed Ovide. It smelled horrible but worked wonders. It killed the lice and the eggs and 7 to 10 days after that still no eggs or lice. Fast forward 2 years she comes home with it again. Her and her brother. WE shaved his head but we can't do that with her. Called the doctor first thing and they prescribed the Nix, of course it didn't work. It didn't even seem to kill anything. I spent hours every day combing hair and washing and drying. I waited for 2 weeks and called the doctor again and they finally got me the Ovide again. I know this is going to work. I would recommend it anyone with Nix resistance.

Comment from: Lesli, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 09

My 7 year old got lice for the first time in Feb. 2012. We used an OTC kit and it worked no follow up was needed, but being hyper vigilant 7 days later I reapplied. However it irritated her scalp and gave her dandruff. Then at the end of March 2012 she was sent home with it again. I bought Lice Ice and it seemed to do a good job of killing and keeping it in control as well as using a shampoo. However this week she came home from school with a couple of large bugs in her head, and so I started treating her again. Mind you I have been combing her hair almost everyday with a nit comb to remove all the eggs from the second time so I am positive she did not have any live bugs the night before. Today April 7th I went to the doctor and he prescribed Ovide. The smell is strong, but I applied it and combed through her hair with a regular fine tooth comb and a lot of eggs just fell out of her hair no pulling at strands. This is amazing. My daughter has really thick hair and before March she had long hair which I cut due to the lice and the cost of the treatments, it took two boxes of the kits to treat just her once, not to mention the third box to treat the other three of us.The second time she got it I used the other stuff to avoid irratating her scalp. The bottle of Ovide is half empty and she smells like turpintine, but the combing was easy and the fact that the nits just kind of fell out is wonderful. The stuff that came in the kit did not do that. I have sprayed, washed, dried, and hoovered the house almost everyday for the last two and a half months, not to mention all the boiling of brushes all of which are warped now. I have spent well over two hundred dollars in trying to kill the lice. Ovide is so far the best thing I have spent money on. While the other stuff has worked for me my husband and son, Ovide is the best for my daughter, tomorrow morning I will wash her hair,comb with a nit comb, wash the bedding and stuffed toys, hoover,and be happy I used Ovide.

Related Reading: dandruff

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

Simply the only medication that kills both the lice and the eggs. Have used it twice already. Anything else like the over the counter NIX does not work, and it's just waste of money and time. Although Ovide smells horrible but does the job. Don't waste your time and energy on over-the-counter medications.

Related Reading: ovide

Comment from: Waveguy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 26

Most often lack of success with Malathion is a result of improper application and use. The hair should be completely dry when applied. A regular comb (not the nit comb) should be used to spread the medicine. If you keep combing it will evenly distribute. Comb slowly and start from the bottom on the back if the hair has snarles. Heaviest conentration of medicine should be above and behind the ears continuing behind the head. Once even thorought the entire head, let the medicine stay in the hair for at least 8 hours. Once all the snarles are out and the hair combs smoothly it wouldn't hurt to use the nit comb to improve your odds. While the medicine is in the hair is the best time to change all the bedding and wash all the laundry. Remember the heat of the drier is what kills the live lice. You can store stuffed animals and unwashables in plastic bags for two weeks. Vacuum all the carpeted floors also. The lice can't live without food and the nits will die within an hour if they are not on a human head. Repeat the bedding/laundry wash and malathion treatment 5 to 7 days later. Check out the information on the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/gen_info/faqs_malathion.html

Related Reading: malathion

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 28

The side effects expressed here have no documented basis. They are written as if there is any supporting research, there is not.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 08

I have had head lice present in my home for 6 mos. now. I have 3 children and began the battle last spring. ('08) I did otc, ordered products off of the internet, and finally told my pediatrician I would sleep on his steps if he did'nt perscribe something! I have used Ovide twice on my entire family, and each time we find nits again. I wash bedding, clothes, boil brushes, the money and time spent on this battle has been unbelievable, and we still have them!!!

Related Reading: head lice

Comment from: blondeforever721, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 07

My husband and I tried everything and Ovide was recommended by the doctor, we used it twice. We still have them(the lice). My hair is falling out and we no longer no what to do. The side effects are terrible.

Comment from: jazz1, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 14

We have had head lice for over six months. OTC items didn't work. A dermatologist prescribe Ovide. The first time we used the medication it did kill some but not all of the lice. The second time it killed none. Since then we have tried Ovide twice, and our results have been futile. Is there any prescription medicine that is effective in killing these annoyning bugs?

Comment from: Rhino, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 11

I used this product back when you could buy it at GNC and it wasn't a banned substance. I took it for 3 months and my workout partner did not. My gains were substantially better than his with an increase in 70 lbs on my bench press in 30 days.

Comment from: katec, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 01

Responding to the one review included here, there is a wealth of scientific evidence that this supplement is ineffective and poses many risks. This is a summary of one review from NYU medical center. More research can be located if you look at the bibliography on the page. Please do not believe this fool. "Androstenedione is said to enhance athletic performance and strength by increasing testosterone production, thereby building muscle. However, in double-blind studies, when androstenedione was given to men, it did not alter total testosterone levels, nor improve sports performance, strength, or lean body mass. (2–7 links to studies) It did, however, increase estrogen levels, an effect that would not be considered favorable. Curiously, some evidence suggests that androstenedione does raise testosterone levels levels in women; again, this is not likely to produce favorable results, and it could cause harm (see Safety Issues ). 8,11 The most consistent effect of androstenedione is to increase estrogen levels.

Related Reading: testosterone

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 15

this treatment is awsome. I love drugs.

FDA Logo