Pataday

Comment from: Eve Adams, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 23

After the third day of use a headache started, the headache continued to worsen. I asked a pharmacist if this headache was normal, and was told,....'yes a headache with this drug is normal, the headache will go away. By the end of the second week the headache was accompanied by shooting pains in my right temple. The next day I saw bright lights to right of head, I saw these lights frequently and my vision began to deteriorate. Also as I was experiencing these shooting bright lights I began to experience a black ring in my visual field, never directly in front of the eye, but always slightly to the right. I called my very busy ophthalmologist who took me immediately. He was shocked at the reaction, an I guess a little frightened that a drug that he had prescribed nearly blinded me. This is a bad drug, not enough is known about it.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: sim, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 10

I paid $38 as a co-pay for 2.5 ml which is a 25 day supply if you calculate 1 drop in each eye per day and no lost drops onto your shirt. That comes out to $143,000 a gallon! or, if you have no insurance and are paying full price roughly $750,0000 a gallon. I think Alcon has got some big 'nads charging 3/4 of a million dollars a gallon for eye drops. With that said....the stuff works great and I love for the first time in years not having to constantly dab at my eyes like I'm weeping while I talk to people. I'm also going to try OTC Zaditor or it's preservative free alternative Zaditen. But if they don't work I'm probably gonna refill the Pataday. Alcon really should make some kind of financial arrangement/adjustment for people who don't have the good fortune of having health insurance. Is it really necessary to charge 3/4 of a million $ a gallon for ANYTHING?

Related Reading: zaditor | pataday

Comment from: loom, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 16

It seems most do not understand what this drug is. It is NOT for instant relief. It is an antihistamine, it takes several doses before it is effective and one must stay on it. ONE drop in each eye daily.'-aday' get it? I occasionally get allergies bad enough to swell my eyes shut. As long as I start it before the allergy season and maintain I am golden. If you just have mild itchy eyes I don't believe this product is worth it. I've had my eyes itch so much from allergies that I have woke up with bruising from rubbing them in my sleep, so the cost is well worth it to me. If it works but seems to cause some irritation try Patanol. It's less concentrated so you have to take it TWICE a day but your eyes don't get the full blast at once.

Related Reading: allergy | itch | patanol

Comment from: MplsMN, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 29

A physician's assistant prescribed this after I complained about persistently itching eyes due to a suspected allergy. It seemed to help quite quickly. However, my group health co-pay of $124 for what amounts to about 2 teaspoons of drops nearly gave me a heart attack. Then came the allergists confirmation that I have a mild allergy to dust mites - at a group health co-pay of $832. He prescribed a different antihistamine eyedrop that he said was "massively less expensive" - at a copay of $88. And it doesn't work as well. So I'm rationing the Pataday, and when a drop lands on my cheek and not in my eye, I feel like I've just lit a ten dollar bill on fire.

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: kelly, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 14

Yes this worked for the eye allergies, but after about 3 weeks of use, I have had horrible body aches, sore throat, running nose....couldn't figure it out, well looked up the side effects of Pataday...Bingo!!! Will never use this product again!

Related Reading: sore throat

Comment from: jacki, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 07

This works great for my itchy, sticky eyes. The cost of it was a shock, but then I went to pataday.com and got their loyalty rebate. It brought the cost down to $30. The rebate is good for refills up to a year.

Related Reading: shock | pataday

Comment from: myates, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 29

I have only used these eye drops a few times. My main symptoms are redness, irritation and extreme sensitivity to light. They do seem to work when you first put them in, but they do not last very long. Within 3 or 4 hrs, my symptoms come back. So I use OTC eye drops the rest of the day.

Comment from: patadayyyyy, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 25

to all those people who are saying this treatment is too expensive: I paid thirty dollars for this! and yes it's 2.5 mL! u pay around 100 dollars only if u don't have insurance! I have united healthcare and I paid thirty dollars. one eye drop does it all. the itchiness goes away INSTANTLY! I'm so glad I found this! so all people out there: cechk if ur insurance covers pataday!

Related Reading: pataday

Comment from: swolleneyes, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

My eyes got so red and dry that I had to stop using the drops after 2 days and had to use dry eye drops for 4 days later. Hated it.

Comment from: bigboobs, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 30

Very expensive-Wow. Help[s for a couple of hrs. and then the terrible itch returns. Have had itching almost 2moths

Related Reading: itch

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 07

This medication makes my skin peel in the corners of my eyes, particularly the outside corners. This morning my eyelid is red, swollen and peeling. It feels raw and painful. It has done nothing to improve the itchy, red eyes caused by allergens. The skin around my eyes feels like elephant skin. Hate this medication!

Comment from: gg, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 04

TINY TINY LITTLE CONTAINER, ACTUALLY 2.5 mil.no visible results after total 2.5 mil use..This Senior paid $88 my Insurance paid $140 Certainly not worth THAT PRICE!!!

Comment from: rebecca, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 03

I bought these eye drops thinking I needed them , but after paying 125. for a small bottle its the last time purchasing it, I will just use over the counter , its such a ripe off for such a small bottle, there is no way that is going to last a month.

Comment from: TheScientist, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 25

I've had allergic conjunctivitis most of my life as a result of year round allergies. Some days I feel great and do not have to take any antihistamines but most days I suffer from low level inflammation (itchy and red eyes, and stuffy nose) and struggle daily to stave off my allergy symptoms with or without medication. I started using Pataday on an off for a few days now, and the drug works amazing at stopping the itching. However, it sometimes causes me to feel dizzy, and short of breath within the first 15 minutes of using the drops, and then subsides. While my eyes don't itch afterward, they are incredibly dry, and a weird phenomenon always occurs. The inner red corner of my eye becomes puffy, and red while the outside of my eyes are not as bloodshot but are still very red. My eyes clear up the moment the drug wears off after the full 24 hours has elapsed. I suspect I'm probably allergic to the preservative BAK that is in these drops as it is already known to cause allergic reactions , and a common side effect to all antihistamine eye drops that use it as a preservative. I should also note that other antihistamines such as allegra, and claritin and antihistamine drops cause my eyes to turn red as well. Common side effects as well. I could just be sensitive when it comes to antihistamines. I won't be using the drug anymore. I'm upset I wasted my money.

Related Reading: allergy | pataday | allegra

Comment from: Beansprout, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 19

After using the eye drop for 24 hours, I noticed crusty flakes around my eye. After 48 hours, the crusty flakes occurred throughout the day. 72 hours after using the eye drops, I had a sudden severe sore throat that eventually subsided. After 4 days of using the drug, I had a sudden coughing attack that was similiar to an asthma attack. I read the side effects and immediately stopped taking the drug. I would NOT recommend this drug to anyone. It should be removed from the market.

Related Reading: sore throat | asthma

Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers See Slideshow
Comment from: DMC, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 08

It has not stopped itching of my eyes in any way whatsoever.

Comment from: MITTIE, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 22

THESE ARE THE BEST EYE DROPS I HAVE EVER USED THEY DO NOT BURN YOUR EYES LIKE THE OTHER DROPS I HAVE TRIED. THEY ALSO GIVE YOU INSTANT RELIEF. I HAVE BEEN USING THESE FOR SEVERAL YEARS WITH NO SIDE EFFECTS. I COULD NOT MAKE IT THROUGH THE ALERGY SESION WITHOUT THEM.

Comment from: love spring, hate allergies, Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 09

Patanol/pataday has been borderline effective for me. Low strength steriod eye drops, e.g. Alrex, (in conjuction with nasal steriod spray) has been much more effective than any antihistamine eye drop/oral medication combination I've tried. In fact, once I switched to nasal steroid spray, my eye symptoms got better as well and only use the eye steroid drops during the worst parts of the season (risk of glaucoma). Hope this helps.

Related Reading: patanol | pataday | alrex

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 08

I could not believe this cost me $90.00 for 2.5 ml. What a rip off. Has any one paid this price or is it an error on my grocer Raleys in California?

Comment from: Jeanie, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 11

I really haven't used it long enough to know how well it works. I bought it today, 9-11-14 at a Rock Hill SC Walmart and paid a $50 United Healthcare copay. The price without insurance was listed as $317.87! Absurd! Without insurance I would have just suffered.

Comment from: Dorbieann, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 05

I paid $115 (after my insurance co-pay) for this product and I had to stop using it because it made my eyes dry.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 27

What relief I received from the itching was vastly offset by the discomfort that came from my eyelids getting dry & crusty. It cost me $50 with my insurance - was so not worth it. Feel like I wasted my money.

Comment from: H7l1p60, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 19

Used it for 2 weeks, after which time the skin around my eyes felt very tight. I also suffer from chronic dry eye and am considering Restasis, but after reading the reviews, I'm not sure I want to try it.

Related Reading: restasis

Comment from: Jennifer, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 07

Worked effectively for one week, then worsening of allergies occurred, less effective.

Comment from: pat z, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 21

effectiveness...not noticible ease of use, same as any OTC use satisfaction...no not at $88 per 2.5 ml size!!