Patanol

Comment from: ginas, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 19

I have used this drug for about 5-6 years. Very expensive but works wonderfully. I suffer a lot since everyone has a wood burning stove or fireplace so I use all year around. $75 copay. Pharmacist just recommended Zaditor which cost me about $11.00. Use to be perscription, now OTC. Works well but not as well as Patanol. Am using Patanol only when eyes are really, really bad. Also take OTC Claritin and I get by.

Related Reading: zaditor | patanol | claritin

Comment from: PharmaDoc, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 28

My FP prescribed Patanol after I complained of severe itching,scratchiness and moderate pain. I went to pick it up at the drugstore and the copay was $35.00 so I cannot imagine what the cost to the insuror is. I bought Clear Eyes ACR and took Claritin generic tablets and the toatl cost was $11.59. I had great relief and saved alot of money. Oh, by the way I am also a pharmacist who knows drugs but will always go to a physician for my eyes. MY FP approved of my suggestion and now has given his patients options when he considers Patanol. That drug is a major rip off.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 23

I have used the medication during allergy season for many years. It works great. I tried OTC first and had no relief. The only reason that I did not give it 5 stars for overall is because of the expense. I have excellent insurance and my copay was $50.00 but it has been worth it.

Comment from: sunshine247, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 07

I have suffered for many years with this condition and finally found a doctor that helped me. There's no more burning, itching and swelling. He also has me using Systane (lubricant eye drops) several times a day. This has really helped with dry eyes. I tried other well known lubricants in the past, they never worked as well as Systane.

Related Reading: dry eyes

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 06

I'm the mom of a now 9yr old boy who's used Patanol for going on 3 yrs. Using the drops with OTC allergy pills have helped him a lot. He still has some burning/itching in the eyes, but he previously couldn't even go outside in the grass in the spring.

Comment from: JLM, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 02

My husband, son, and I all suffer from allergies. We have been using Patanol for years. It's the only thing that really works well for us for burning and itching from allergies. My insurance plan no longer covers Patanol and told me to 'just use an OTC'. We've tried virtually every OTC drop for allergies and none can compare to Patanol. We've taken to ordering it online because it's so much less expensive than the cash price at the pharmacy.

Comment from: MrWestie, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 20

My normally bad, allergies have been greatly reduced this spring, especially when most people have said it is the worst they have seen it. Only drawback is the price, even with insurance.

Comment from: a33lopez, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: April 16

My son has been using Patanol for about 4 years now and trust me when Allergy season came by he looked like Rocky Balboa. It was sad because the school would call me to have him pick up so that the kids wouldn't tease him, now he doesn't have that problem at all with this medication. It works well.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: taralynn, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 12

suffer from allergies and once i put the eye drops in it was like a instant relief with no side effects.

Comment from: MendAngel, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 20

I was scripted this med by my eye doctor after my regular visits for eyeglasss; it is expensive and my co-pay was $40, but it was the best $40 investment I've ever made for my health. I had been suffering with a (yet undetermined) allergy for years and this provided the relief I so desperately needed. Incidently, I had tried OTC eyedrops and have determined that THEY are a waste of money.

Comment from: Mike S, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 17

They now have a generic solution rather than the brand name Patanol. I know it was very expensive at one time but it was the only thing that would stop the random allergic reactions I would have due to sporadic environmental events (wind or sand storms, tree pollen etc.

Comment from: JMS, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 03

Have been using for a long time with total relief of all symptoms and without any side effects until recently. I had been taking year round for various allergies then with insurance change and expense, I stopped it during off peak season. Just restarted and now I am having trouble sleeping so I'm cutting back to 1time a day to try to take some but still be able to sleep. I just found this listed as a less common SE.

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

I suffer from red, scratchy and/or watery eyes. I used only one drop, per eye, per day, rather than 2, due to the cost. I probably would have had better relief if I'd used the drops as prescribed, but I wanted to stretch out my $133 (after insurance) for as long as possible. I'm searching for something OTC because I'm not getting a refill.

Comment from: Jenn, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 05

Best eye drops for allergic conjunctivitis. Others I tried just don't work like this one. Worth the extra cost.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 26

allegies

Comment from: Patanol user, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 15

The last 3 days of use, I have developed severe dry eyes. I have had to discontinue use of Patanol and use OTC eye drops to lubricate my eyes about every 30 -60 minutes depending upon my activity. This is a great disappointment to me as the drug has been very effective for many years and also I have to pay full price for it and my hayfever season has just started. $80 wasted!

Related Reading: dry eyes

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 09

I've had been using this for about 3 years and it works great during allergy season. I wish it were less expensive.

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: sandyg, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 30

I have been using patanol for the last 3 months works really well only drawback is the price even with ins I have to pay 120.00 copay really for a little 0.01 oz bottle come on novaritus give us consumers a little break! great product TERRIBLE PRICE but in the long run worth it

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 24

Great relief but my co-pay doubled recently so I intend to use it as little as possible and see if I can find some other medication to help.

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 30

My Doctor recommended Patanol because he said that my eyes looked red. It is too expensive. My co-pay was $50.00 This medicine caused blurred vision and also my upper eyelids were puffy. I had much whether have slightly red eyes than have blurred vision and puffy lids. I did not like Patanol and thought it was a waste of money!

Comment from: wrightamye, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 25

Very simple to use. I've been following orders and wearing my glasses while doing the drops; however, my eyes feel like sand dunes and ache. I've developed sinus problems since taking them and I have a funny "coating/taste" issue going on in the back of my throat. They work but don't use them if you develop sinus/severe allergy problems. Remember to tell your Dr. everything; meds and symptoms!

Pink Eye (Conjunctivitis) Symptoms, Causes, Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 04

My eyes start to water to the point that I have trouble seeing. Put a drope in each eye and every thing clears up, soar throte, cold nose.I feel much better very fast and can sleep much better.

Comment from: JKep, 13-18 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 05

Works everytime I need it!

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 28

did not help much with my pollen allergy, my eyes are still very itchy and swollen

Related Reading: allergy

Comment from: amanda, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 06

I was given a free sample last year for Patanol. I remember it working and was very happy with it. I have dry itchy and red eyes all the time.I was prescribed it this year and hate it. I now have a feeling like there is something in my eye all the time and it hurts. I wish I could get my money back. It was very expensive! I would recomend others to just go with over the counter.