Paxil

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 21

I had been depressed on and off since my childhood. This medication has worked very well to minimize my depression. I began taking 20 mg. 19 years ago. For the first 2 weeks I was tired and a little bit dizzy but I started to feel less depressed. After about 2 months on this medication I was feeling much better and my doctor recommended that I remain on the medication. Over the years it has taken larger doses to keep my depression at bay and I am currently taking 60 mg. per day with good results. I have tried to wean myself off the medication on two different occasions over the years. Within 2 - 3 days after reducing my dosage my ability to "think" went downhill very fast and I felt very confused. I resumed taking the medication immediately on both occasions and my cognitive functions returned to normal in 1-2 weeks. I will not try to wean myself off the meds again and will probably be on them forever. A very fair trade-off for the good quality of life that I and my family have had for the past 19 years.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Jill, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 27

PLEASE highly weigh the consequences and risks of taking Paxil. It could cost you your life and/or your sanity. My father took Paxil for 2 weeks and experienced realistic, vivid nightmares, extreme insomnia, exhaustion, and a detachment to life. He eventually committed suicide!! In his remaining letter, he reiterated these symtoms, pointing mostly to extreme and intolerable exhaustion. He wrote that his body hurt all over, most likely intensified from the sleep deprivation. After reading numerous reports on this drug, many users report many of the same problems, with additions: sinus, flu-like symtoms, feeling detached and numb, electric body zaps, loss of sex drive, terrifying nightmares, insomnia, confusion, exhaustion, and dizzyness. Adding to that, many users have reported that separation from Paxil resulted in a torturous and terrifying withdrawal, with headaches, added dizzyness, worsened depression, and impulsiveness. Please think hard before taking Paxil!!

Related Reading: paxil | nightmares | insomnia

Comment from: maya67, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 21

I suffered with undiagnosed social anxiety disorder for years, beginning when I was a very young child. I had an extreme fear of public speaking and even of small group or one-on-one visits with people, as I was always worrying about panicking and feeling embarrassed. I had extremely low self-esteem, and did not feel on an equal level with others, as I felt that there was something very wrong with me. I certainly was not comfortable in my own skin, and it caused me feelings of depression and anxiety for years. I would read self-help books having to do with coping with anxiety and discovering my true self, but nothing worked all that well, until I told my doctor about my anxiety and she suggested I try Paxil. I got on it, and the drug has completely changed my life! I no longer have any panic attacks; I have quit my dead-end job that I worked at for 15 years just because I thought I couldn't do anything else, and am now a sales representative with my own home-based business; I am a better mother to my four children; I no longer have a sick feeling in my stomach so much of the time like I used to have (in fact, I don't ever have that sick feeling at all anymore!). The only drawback I may see to this is the fact that I have not experienced this self-confidence ever in my life before this, so sometimes I get a little carried away in social situations, and maybe say too much or act a little wilder than a lot of the other people. I now do not worry about anything, and I have a general feeling that everything will be fine in life. I have gone from one extreme to the other with dealing with stress, and I definitely like this extreme a lot better!

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks | stress

Comment from: Deborah, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 15

My doctor suggested that it might take a few days before I noticed any difference when I started taking this drug. I could tell something the NEXT morning. I am concerned about long term use but it has allowed me to have a better quality of life. I recommended it to my mother's doctor when nothing else helped her anxiety. It has helped.

Comment from: Jenn, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 12

Paxil is the only medication that worked to lift my severe, recurrent depression. It also helps with my anxiety and PTSD. I had a dry mouth at first but that has stopped. I do not advise ever trying to go off this without talking to your doctor. I have gone from taking 60mg a day down to 20mg now as I want to be on the lowest dose possible that helps me. 20mg seems to be a good fit at this time in my life but I would go up if I needed to again. This medication has changed my life and it gave me the ability to deal with what I needed to in therapy also. I haven't had to be hospitalized for 10 years now and that is really a miracle.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 02

After a emotional time in my life my DR. perscribed the drug Paxil which I was on for approx 10 years. My dosage was 20mg/day. The drug seemed to really help balance me. Recently I decided it was time to see if I still needed the drug. I started on a gradual withdrawl. I reduced my medication - 1 pill every second day, then every third etc until eventually I was taking 1/2 a pill every third day. Everytime I changed the dosage I found I had side effects like dizziness, and lack of focus as well as crying at the drop of a hat. Finally I decided enough is enough and stopped taking the pills. It has been the worst 2 weeks. I have had every side effect listed and they do not seem to be getting any better. Although the drug was effective while I was taking it, I would not recommend it to anyone who does not plan on taking it for the rest of thier lives. The side effects are just not worth it!!!

Related Reading: paxil | dizziness

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 28

The Paxil works great while you are taking it. However it is VERY DIFFICULT to get off the drug. I urge anyone considering going on the drug to do some research on the web and discover the awful things that happen to people that are experiencing withdrawal from Paxil.

Comment from: angsap, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 17

i would NEVER recommend this medication to anybody. my doctor had me on it, only 20mg, and it ruined my life for months. he then took me off of it cold turkey. last week i spent two nights in the ER because of it. it made me have the worst anxiety attacks of my life. i was hyperventalating, couldn't breathe, my arms/hands/legs/feet were numb, i was hystarical, couldn't keep water/food down, could NOT sleep, and cried for weeks. please do not take this drug! i don't want it to ruin anyone like it did me. and NEVER let your doctor take you off cold turkey. and mind u, i was supposedly going to one of the best hospitals in cleveland. all doctors do now a days is memorize things out of a book to pass a test. they generalize you in a category without listening. i hope this helps people.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Clinnon, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 11

After trying many other antidepressants (Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa) My doctor finally prescribed Paxil. What a difference. No side effects what so ever, and my head finally feels "clear", I feel "back to normal" again. So far, I have not had a down day. Can only hope that continues.

Related Reading: antidepressants | prozac | zoloft

Comment from: dan86, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 25

i like paxil. it workes better for me than zoloft, about three fold actually. tolerability is higher than zoloft in my case, due to the lack of watery bowls, however, paxil interferes with a lot of other meds, specifically OTC. i don't recommend taking paxil and combining any of the following drugs: diphenhydramine (can give anxiety and akathesia, due to interaction from CYP2D6 even at low doses as 25-50mg, every dose of benadryl is doubled because cytochrome2D6 is inhibited by the paxil), dextromethorphan(DXM) for the same reason as diphenhyrdamine. DXM's dissociative hallucinogenic effects are more noticeable so it can and may make you feel funny. there are other meds that may be potentiated by paroxetine. alcohol + paxil = extrovert. but alcohol being a depressant, combining the two for me have been no comment. sometimes good, sometimes horrible. use caution. constipation. drowsiness. night sweats. stimulation of appetite. WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN, WEIGHT GAIN. which is good if you're slim like me. insomnia, but not as bad as the other ssri's. lack of motivation. reduction on anxiety, brought on by paxil's relaxing effects. this lack of motivation is why i cannot give it 5 stars for satisfaction. i LOVE THAT PAXIL is amazing for anxiety and it is almost a downer on it's own, but i wish it did this without making me less motivated. sexual dysfunction. i take 40mg daily. generic paroxetine. manufactured by TEVA. this generic seems to have a pretty good bio-equivalence to brand name paxil GSK.

Related Reading: paxil | zoloft | diphenhydramine

Comment from: Star, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 01

IT'S SO HARD TO GET OFF !!! I dont't know what to do, I don't need this drug anymore I'm so scared that it has turned me into a junkie or something, I've gained 20 pounds in a very short amount of time,I GET HEAD ZAPPS & whole body jolts my head hurts all the time I'm really trying to go cold turkey, but everytime I read a review i feel HELPLESS. It helped me when I needed IT but I DON'T NEED IT ANYMORE!! good thing I'm not working right now, It's no way anyone could hold a job going though this, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME !!!

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: sorry I took it, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 07

Withdrawal from this drug is horrid! It's scary and affecting all areas of my life. I'm having terrible uncontrolled anger (rage), irritability, unbelievable problems with temperature regulation,and short term memory issues. Self control and inhibitions are negatively affected. Earlier had week of nausea and loose stools - those symptoms have resolved. I used Paxil for over 10 years for depression and migraine prevention, with small once daily dose. This is my 2nd attempt to get off it - needed since my appetite was never satified while taking it. I gained >50 pounds while taking - lost 10 pounds in first 2 weeks off it. I resent that no one ever told me about withdrawal issues, but now find this is a common problem. I've been off it 1 month and still having significant symptoms - much worse than the depression it was used to treat. I feel trapped - coming off it is ruining my life but I can't continue taking it.

Related Reading: paxil | depression | prevention

Comment from: jylatham, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 22

I started taking Paxil in 10/09 after 8+ yrs on 20mg Prozac. I'd gone through some major life-stressors and felt as if the Prozac wasn't doing its job anymore. I started the 20 mg Paxil and felt a new "mellow-ness" start to settle in after a few days, which obviously was a nice change. I weighed 134. However, after about 3 months, I noticed a huge, steady weight gain, though my eating and exercise habits had not changed. I began to feel very anxious and depressed about the way I looked due to the weight gain and asked my Dr. about it who basically told me I wasn't 21 anymore (I'm 31) and my metabolism had changed. I thought, "Bulls&^*" and did a little research, only to find out that massive weight gain is actually very common. I read over and over not to stop the drug cold-turkey b/c it can cause major withdrawl symptoms. So I started out by half-ing my dose (down to 10 mg) for 10 days and didn't notice any change. then I did another half (down to 5 mg) for another 10 days. Then I started taking 5mg every other day. After about 10 days of that, I started to LOSE it. Major crying episodes, muscle aches, confusion, rage, memory lapses and just a general horrible feeling. My husband noticed a big decline in my mental health and suggested I started taking it again, which I've refused b/c after 5 months on the drug, I have gained 39 lbs!! Just typing that made me get flustered and cry. It was totally counter-productive to "fix" my mental state but destroy my physical state. It's a huge cycle and I am beyond frustrated. I didn't gain this much weight through my entire pregnancy and I was on prozac throughout the pregnancy! I now weigh 173 and am starting back on the 20mg Prozac but am not sure my mental health will recover until my physical health does - and losing 40lbs will obviously be a long process. :(

Related Reading: prozac | mental health | pregnancy

Comment from: Clarisse, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 16

My life has and attitude have improved tremendously. I feel noticably less anxious and irritable. The only downside is if you happen to run out. Don't. The withdrawel is highly unpleasant to say the least. However,I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. I have tried Prozac, Zoloft, and Pristiq to name a few. I literally feel like a different person now. I have been taking 40 mg per day for 8 years and am grateful for the change. Also, watch out for Pristiq, it has extreme mood affects & can make you suicidal.

Related Reading: zoloft | pristiq

Comment from: HappyBlonde, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 30

I take paxil for depression and OCD. I am on a 40 mg per day dose. I have had no weight gain, or other side effects, beyond vivid dreams. The dreams are not disturbing, though. Weight gain may deter some people from taking this drug, but paxil greatly improves the quality of life! In my opinion, stay active, exert some self control over your diet and you will be fine. Paxil is great and gave me my life back.

Related Reading: paxil

Comment from: chris, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 09

This is the first drug I have had to battle depression I've had for about 10yrs. Finally I made the decision that my family & myself deserved to be happy. It's a wonderdrug!!! If I knew it would change me back to the fun person I thought I would NEVER BE AGAIN,I would have taken it long ago. My advice to someone considering trying it- What do you have to lose? GIVE IT A TRY,YOU'RE WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Comment from: llharnold, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 05

This medication could cause you to gain weight very quickly! I was on Paxil from June 2004 through December 2006 and during that time gained 50 lbs. No other changes in appetite or exercise. When i tried to take off weight, it was very difficult. My doctor finally changed me to Cymbalta when she realized that I had ballooned in weight and she thought that the Paxil ahd something to do with it. It also lost its efffectiveness after awhile and I began to have some depression symptoms returning. Now that I am on another medication, I'm takign off weight easily and feel much better.

Related Reading: cymbalta

Comment from: Mare, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 06

This medication worked well for my depression which I would consider moderate.It helpped me to feel "balanced" and not prone to overreacting as I was prior to it's use. I decided (with my doctor's approval) to quite taking it because I began having trouble with erosion of my tooth enamel which I had read could be caused by Paxil and long term use.It also effected my weight and ability to lose unwanted pounds.Getting off of this drug was a horrible experience and felt like a narcotic withdrawl(what I would think it would be like).I had night sweats and terrible flares of temper over a 1 month reduction.I have been off of it for approx 5 months trying different medications but am going back on it becuase I did benefit from taking it to much more of an extent than I did from others I have tried.

Related Reading: depression | paxil | night sweats

Comment from: Chele, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 17

For the last 22 years (since I was diagnosed) I have taken all the SSRI's except Prozac. They work great for my depression, but they don't last forever. I can tell when the med starts to "wear off" and a change to the next one is all I need. I have tried, way back when, to NOT take them. But, after I had to check myself into a Mental Hosp. I continued to see the same doc, he told me I should Never stop taking anti-depressants. and I agree with him. I have been suicidal, had one attempt, and Never want to feel that way again! For some people that's just what we have to do, do to our brain chemistry.

Related Reading: prozac

Comment from: motherload, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

makes me feel overall happier and more at ease and level headed, and less anxiety. Mood is lifted, and I a can get up in the morning and look forward to the day in a more positive way, and enjoy my kids again.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: bigjonbrown, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 01

It works fine, with a very slightly euphoric sensation after the first 2-3 weeks which goes away in a few months or less. Initial inability to climax during intercourse (men and women) fades after several months. Only real problem is that quitting is REALLY hard. I haven't had any psychological withdrawals, but the physical withdrawals were FAR more intense than the 'slight flu-like symptoms' described by the manufacterer. My symptoms were more like serious sea-sickness or a bad hangover... inner ear seemed to be off in me and I felt the room spinning until I took some of the drug. I took it initially in 1998 after a breakup and have been unable to kick it due to the discomforting side effects. Anyone have a solution?

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 15

I took this drug for a short while back in 2000 along with a whole list of other antidepressants and, at the time, I didn't notice any of them helping me at all. So I quit taking antidepressants and struggled for my life over the past 10 years. I've recently started taking Paroxetine (Paxil generic) again and in only 1 weeks time, I feel a great change. I'm feeling significantly better already! But I would warn people to be especially careful about having regular meals. Even though the instructions that come with the drug say that it can be taken with or without food, I have found that if I don't eat enough, the side effects are greatly exaggerated and I feel very nauseated, very faint, and even a little confused. These episodes can be very scary! I think it's best to take the medicine in the morning and have regular meals throughout the day, and a little food before you go to bed at night. Overall, I am very satisfied with the drug. It has given me some hope that I may still live a normal life. And I had completely given up hope. Hope this review helps!

Related Reading: antidepressants | paroxetine

Comment from: eskoskye, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 09

I won't even take asprin, so after a family crisis that I just couldn't cope with, I was hesitant to take this, or any drug. AT first, I felt kind of weird, like I was watching my life out of body but I kept with it, because I felt I had NO other choice, and after 2 weeks I felt fine! I also lost my appetite for the first 5 or 6 weeks which I thought was actually GREAT! I found it wonderful with no side effects at all and I went off myself, cutting the does every 2 weeks and did not have ANY problems. For me it quite literlly was a life saver, but then everyone reacts differently.

QUESTION

Depression is a(n) __________ . See Answer
Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 23

I was experiencing a very depressed mood with a hopeless feeling and increased edgyness. Paxil helped relieve the symptoms.

Related Reading: paxil

Comment from: McLovin, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 20

Started on 10mgs. Within 2 weeks I was 100% depression/anxiety free. At about 6 months I started waking up sick to my stomach every morning this would go away after taking Paxil. Spoke to my dr about it he didn't think it was related and he upped it to 20mg a day. 2 weeks later the same thing morning sickness. I went back to the dr he added klonopin and upped paxil to 30mg. Fast forward 18 months I quit going to work had lost all inhibitions, felt happier than ever but I just wanted to drink alcohol and sleep. Spoke with the Dr. he wanted to up the dose of Paxil, I got a 2nd opinion same thing they wanted to up the dose. I said no more, both doc's said I could quit cold turkey. Don't go cold turkey I could have died many times, falls, seizures and psychosis. Never experienced anything like it in my life. I failed quitting many times finally did a short tapper, became psychotic and immediately went into a mode of complete emotional flatness. 9 months latter I've made a 100% recovery but I made such a mess of my life on Paxil it's hard to deal with, so I have to take something temporarily for anxiety. I never even heard of someone having such a destructive reaction to a medication, and I can deal with the depression, for me I'll never take another SSRI. Probably had I stayed at 10mg, I would have been fine and the most negative side effects would have never happened. Just make sure your closely monitored while taking this one. Don't let your dr tell you it's not the medication and throw 6 new meds at you, I called bullshit on that but the damage was already done after 3 years. So I'm 37 and starting over. This drug has helped a lot of people, but it would be my last pick of SSRI's and then only if it's life threatening.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | klonopin