Percocet

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

Percocet goes straight to my pain and I have sever chronic pain! It does not make me dizzy or nauseated. I HAVE NO side effects and do not feel I need to take more than needed. One would know if you take too much because you would get dizzy or euphoric. Any pain medication that you feel any euphoria, in my opinion, has addictive properties. When Percocet 5/325 or a 10/325 cut in half, relieves my pain, I am not dizzy OR SLEEPY and can drive the car and do any activity. I am not tired like some medications make you. I am not depressed like some other meds make you. I do not know what I would do without this medication because I have a high sensitivity to most medications of any kind, especially NSAIDS and anti-depressants, which doctors sometimes use for pain. It is ashame that Percocet has been abused by many, therefore making it a SCHEDULE II drug. Doctors seem to have a fear of prescribing it and this is a drug which works for me. Doctors should not be afraid to prescribe this medication, especially to an older person and the doctor knows they are in pain. There has to be TRUST going in all directions. Patients need to stop being law suit happy and realize that doctors would help more if their hands were not tied because of the fear of being sued by prescribing SCHEDULE II drugs. EVERYTHING can be potentially addictive! I cannot take AMBIEN that is a schedule V, nor ROZAREM (compare to melatonin in the body). Talk about being addictive and take AMBIEN! I also had chest pains and other side effects from it. Stay away from AMBIEN; you can't get off of it! Alcohol is addicting, chocolate is addicting, too much eating is addicting, soda is addicting. We need to write the Department of Justice under DEA and have Percocet lowered to a Schedule III drug, such as Vicodin, Lortab and Lorcet. I cannot take those meds! I have many side effects from them, but not one from Percocet. Percocet is a good med and should not be kept from those of us who need it to live!

Related Reading: percocet | chronic pain | nsaids

Comment from: Speakuppeople, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 03

PERCOCET has been given a bad "rap" because of people abusing drugs. People can abuse anything. This is the ONE MEDICATION that works for my pain and with NO SIDE EFFECTS! ARE YOU LISTENING, DOCTORS/Prescribers? The Department if Justice regulates Percocet, Vicodin, Lorecet and all the other narcotics and scheduling. PEOPLE, we need to write them! Doctors are afraid to prescribe the medications that work fear of law suits, so they are all trying to prescribe the latest antidepressants out there, like CYBALTA, EFFEXOR, LRICA, etc. I am sure that these may work for some and great for depression and in some cases pain, BUT THEY CAN ALSO BE ADDICTING! I am happy for those of you who can take them. I cannot. I have a friend who cannot get off of PAXIL! We have to speak, people and watch out for ourselves. The FDA has not done too well lately,and we have to watch out for ourselves and communicate with our doctors. There are laws for us, also and if we have a disease and are in pain, we have to be taken care of and not allowed to suffer as human beings. So many of the antidepressants, not only have severe side effects (like nausea, dizzyness, headache, chest pains)etc., but damage to the liver and kidneys. Percocet does have acetaminopen in it, but if you do not take over 4,000 mg a day, then you should be okay. The stigma placed on narcotics should not be there, especially when a physician prescibes this for their patient who is in PAIN! I would not be able to WALK or function without Percocet. I am not addicted, but IF I ever was addicted to anything, I would rather it be to this and able to lead a normal life, than an antidepressant or something else extremely detrimental to the essential organs in my body and may not live as long. Most of the medications just cover up the symptoms anyway unless it is an anti-iflammatory; those you have to be careful with, also. Good luck to us all in this horrible realm of pain. God Bless. Try and have a positive attitude!

Related Reading: percocet | vicodin | antidepressants

Comment from: elaine, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 25

I have been suffering from headaches that are a combination of a tension headache, a migraine and a sinus headache - all at the same time. Percoset is the only drug that has given me relief. I do worry about becoming dependent and I don't like the negative connations that come with taking it. Recently a doctor refused treating me for taking Percoset regularly. I felt that was unfair as it truly is a great pain reliever. Perhaps she was someone that doesn't experience pain - but it was bothersome to hear that.

Related Reading: tension headache | headache

Comment from: susies1place, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 18

I have fibromyalgia,anxiety and depression along with neuropathy in my neck area and lower back. I feel the combination of percocet ,zoloft and xanax really helps my pain and to be comfortable.There nare days where nothing helps and I just stay in bed.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | anxiety | depression

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 21

After having major hand and wrist surgery, I found that getting ANY narcotic pain medication was nearly impossible,but my MD warned me of all the dangers and allowed me to make an adult decision regarding me pain management. I consider myself lucky that not all MD's are so afraid to even discuss moderate pain relief with their post op patients....and that is why I make a 75 mile trip to see this Dr. I trust his judgement and I know he wouldn't steer me wrong.

Related Reading: pain management

Comment from: MARY, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I HAVE SEVERE CHRONIC PAIN AND COULD NOT FUNCTION WITHOUT PERCOCET. I WOULD ONLY BE SURVIVING AND NOT ACTUALLY HAVE A LIFE. THANK YOU, PERCOCET. I HAVE "FIBROMYALGIA," A STRANGE SYNDROME; BUT THE EXTREME ALL OVER BODY PAIN IS HARD TO DESCRIBE. YOUR MUSCLES, TENDONS, NERVES, BONES AND YOUR ENTIRE BODY DOES NOT FUNCTION AND SOME DAYS YOU CANNOT GET OUT OF BED. FIBROMYALGIA IS DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE AND THERE IS A LOT OF ANXIETY THAT COMES ALONG WITH THAT. ONCE IT IS DIAGNOSED, DOCTORS SEEM TO WANT TO USE YOU AS A GUINEA PIG AND TRY ALL THE NEW DRUGS, EVEN THOUGH WITH FIBROMYALGIA, COMES A HIGH SENSITIVITY TO MOST MEDICATIONS! ALSO, WITH FIBROMYALGIA, PATIENTS HAVE A LOWER TOLERANCE FOR PAIN. NOTHING MUCH HELPS. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS HELPED ME WITHOUT ANY SIDE EFFECTS IS PERCOCET. I DO NOT FIND IT ANYMORE "ADDICTING" THAN ANY OF THE OTHER MEDICATIONS. IF YOU HAVE PAIN, YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE SOMETHING. EVEN NSAIDS ARE ADDICTING IF YOU TAKE THEM EVERY DAY FOR PAIN AND SO IS ALCOHOL IF YOU DRINK IT DAILY TO CALM YOURSELF OR WHATEVER. HOW MANY DOCTORS DRINK ALCOHOL? HOW MANY DOCTORS HAVE REALLY EXPERIENCED SEVERE CHRONIC PAIN? I BET YOU THAT THEY WOULD TAKE THE PERCOCET! I DO NOT SPEAK FOR ALL DOCTORS AND DO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE SCARED TO PRESCRIBE PERCOCET BECAUSE OF THE SCRUTINY PLACED ON THEM, BUT LEGITIMATE PATIENTS IN PAIN AND IN ORDER TO LEAD A SOMEWHAT NORMAL LIFE, NEED THIS DRUG.IT MAY NOT HELP SOME PEOPLE BUT IT HAS HELPED ME FOR THREE YEARS. I WOULD BE IN A WHEEL CHAIR WITHOUT IT. I AM DISABLED WITHOUT IT AND THE PAIN IS SO EXCRUCIATING, THAT IF IT WAS TAKEN AWAY, I DO NOT THINK I COULD LIVE. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO WRITE TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE TO HAVE PERCOCET AS A SCHEDULE III DRUG SO DOCTORS ARE NOT AFRAID TO PRESCRIBE IT. IT IS NOW LISTED ON THE WEB SITE AS SCHEDULE II AND I DISAGREE WITH IT. ALSO, IT IS SO HUMILIATING IF SOMEONE KNOWS YOU ARE ON PERCOCET BECAUSE OF THE BOGUS STIGMA PLACED ON IT. THIS NEEDS TO GO AWAY. WE ARE NOT DRUGGIES!

Related Reading: chronic pain | percocet | fibromyalgia

Comment from: Polo, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 28

I have taken this for years....5 a day...now because of the government launched opiate crisis it's getting so hard to receive. All kinds of hoops. The only reason there's an opiate crisis is because of the ACA. When you add about 25 million Medicaid/Welfare recipients to the pharma roles you get lots of people on narcotics. Ridiculous that people who've taken this drug for years now must crawl for medication !

Comment from: Kay78, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 13

This is to respond to aries555. I have been on this med for 3yrs for back surgery that resulted in me living with chronic pain for the rest of my life. Yes, this med will give you pain all over when you stop it after being on it for such a long time. It can cause you to have severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, sweats, and make your pain that you are being treated for even worse if the medication is suddenly stopped. This does not mean that you were addicted, it simply means that you were depended on the drug to relieve your pain. It's either take the medication or suffer. I'm taking the meds. Most people don't like being depended on the med, but it's better than being miserable and bed ridden. One important thing to remember is to never allow yourself to run out of the medicine. It's when you run out, that you have these awful withdrawal effects. Also, if you plan on stopping this med, make sure you tell your Doctor so they can give you something to curb these withdrawal effects, or you can simply taper down on your own. By that I mean, instead of taking 5 a day, go to 4, then the next week try 3, then try breaking them in half until your body is comfortable enough without the medication. I hope this helps.

Related Reading: chronic pain | diarrhea

Comment from: painpro, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 07

im a 26 yr old male with spondylolisthesis, lumbar disc bulging at 2 levels and arthritic formation at 2 levels and im rapidly declining. ive been on vicodin, ultram, robaxin, skelaxin, celebrex and now ive graduated to percocet twice a day. takes the edge off, thats about it. works the best so far though. it causes constipation, but not as bad as vicodin for some reason (percocet is only a stronger version). hard to get doc to write for this drug, but most docs dont understand how life changing constant pain is. side effects can be strong, but they are worth it. take this drug on an empty stomach as it will have the most relief, the more you eat with it the less effect it will have in relieving your pain. when you get to the point that you need percocet i can probably speak for most sufferers when i say who cares about addiction, its better than literally going crazy being unable to walk or even do your own laundry. wish docs understood that most people feel like schmucks going in asking for percocet, so if someone asks for it, they need to consider the amount of pain they are in instead of making you feel like an addict looking for your next score. good luck to anyone reading this and is experiencing the same amount of pain ive been in and will likely be in the rest of my life.

Related Reading: spondylolisthesis | vicodin | ultram

QUESTION

Medically speaking, the term "myalgia" refers to what type of pain? See Answer
Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: October 11

Percosets are great for my four herniated discs that are pressing on nerves in my neck and back. My pain extends from neck to arms, from lower back down right leg. Not only do percosets deaden my pain, they also give extra boost of energy (whereas, other pain relievers causes severe drowsiness and depression). I caution you and from experience, Percosets are extremely addictive and you have the tendency to take more pills than prescribed. I further caution you ... Do not run out of your percosets before your next refill. Severe side effects will occur.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Trump supporter, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 04

My body is racked with OA and this is the strongest med my doctor will write, it's not extended relief and drops off like a rock after 8 hours, the government has got the doctors so afraid to prescribe any pain med, but if they were in pain they would get their supply of what they needed.Typical govt,BS. My doc has now started cutting pack on the monthly amount, which leaves me hurting, just to satisfy their needs. What get's me the prescriber has a record of our usage, and we cannot get them a day ahead of time, and have to go into see them every month and waste $100, and the taxpayer is getting the doctor's richer off of Medicare, but seems that if you live in West Va. there is no problem getting anything you want and quantities you want, but the honest people have to suffer.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 26

This medication has been a life saver. I have chronic back pain due to three herneated discs and degenerative disc disease. I could not work or even take care of myself without this medication. However, it bothers me that some people abuse the drug because it makes doctors skeptical and makes it difficult for me to get. Doctors should not assume that everyone who asks for this medication is a drug abuser. Some of us really do need the medication for legitimate medical reasons.

Comment from: ztamom, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 21

Took this drug for 16 years. It was the only thing that helped with my back/leg pain.Tried many other drugs but didn't help. Unfortunately, my doctor retired and I cannot find another dr. to prescribe it for me because it is addictive. Good grief. I was on it for 16 years and only to 1-2 at night because when I lie down my pain increases. I actually was taking less than when I first started taking it. Since I couldnt get any more of it I went off it completely at once. I had no side effects from going off of it. Addictive???? Well, it may be but I guess after taking it for so long and such a small dose 5/325 I didnt have withdrawal symptoms. However they have tried other medications to deal with the pain, but nothing is working..Give me my Oxycodone back. At least with this drug I was 95% pain free, could sleep at night and because of the length I was on it I no longer had sleepiness as a side effect. This has been a terrific drug for me. You would think after being on it for 16 years drs. wouldnt be so worried about addiction. Apparently there have also been some issues with drs. prescribing this drug too much, but I say if it works and helps a patient be productive, give it to them. Certainly is better than being in pain all the time.

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: karlacisco, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 19

I have tried to stop using it and now I have the withdraw symptons and the worst pain I have is the bone ache. I would like to know how long it takes for the drug to get out of my system completly.

Comment from: road king, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: December 25

I have two ruptured discs and three bulging discs with an old fracture as well as severe spinal stenosis. percot allows me to fuction in a normal capacity. it is great to be pain free after twent five years of constant pain.

Related Reading: ruptured

Comment from: cmitch2866, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 10

I've tried many many pain relievers for my back, 3 hip replacements, total knee replacement and after 24 years in the US Military, I have pain every where. This is the only one that works for me and I had liquid morphine while in the hospital that didn't work as good as this does for me. I call it "My miracle drug".

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: kim129, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 17

This is my opinion/answer to "Supershmoo," an 18yr old w/back pain or to any young person who is thinking about taking opiate-based drugs for long-term usage. YOU SHOULD NOT BE ON THIS DRUG FOR LONG-TERM USAGE! Percocet and/or Oxycontin should be the LAST DRUG you are given! I have sever rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis & ANV. I have been on a combo of Percocet & Oxycontin for about 5 years now for chronic pain. I have been on pain meds for about 15 years, and just like you, I was started on anti-inflammatories (non-opiates) first. As my arthritis got worse (over years), I was slowly given stronger and stronger pain meds, but wasn't given Percocet & Oxycontin until I was in so much pain I was (still am) using a walker and wheelchair. Your dr is correct by starting you with non-opiates. You are way too young and opiates are highly addictive. Also, keep in mind, the longer you take this type of drug, the less effective they become and the more you will need to ease your pain. If the anti-inflammatory doesn't work, your dr can try another one or combine it with a another non-opiate drug. You may also want to talk to your dr about a nerve block, which I hear works wonders for back pain. Let me tell you about this drug and other opiate based drugs. For short-term use, they are fine, but for long-time use at your age, they are not, especially Percocet and/or Oxycontin. The side-effects are horrible if you ever go through withdraw. I have gone through it, as I am sure other people writing a review have, and it isn't pleasant. I ran out of them before my dr & pharmacy would re-fill them and the I started to go through withdraw. I felt like I was having a heart-attack, sweating, twiching/jerking of my muscles, you can't sleep, can't eat, the list goes on and on. You are way too young for this drug or any opiate. What do you think they will be able to give you when you get older, if they give you on one of the strongest opiates first?

Related Reading: percocet | oxycontin | rheumatoid arthritis

Comment from: Skwigelf, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 11

This drug is amazing in every way. People who whine about withdrawal symptoms try prednisone and see how much WORSE those side effects are. I was taken off percocet, because they seem to think the withdrawals are terrible. Granted maybe over time withdrawals are bad, but they have a great drug to curb withdrawals called SUBOXONE. This drug makes me feel amazing it helps with my anxiety, depression, and my pain! It helps me focus and keeps me driven to succeed! I work harder, I smile more, more talkative and friendlier, and I feel like I can handle anything thrown my way. I TAKE IT AS PRESCRIBED that is the most important part. Misuse causes serious problems don't be a dumbass and take more then prescribed simple solution. MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE, but sadly you are in the minority, because this truly is a miracle drug for chronic pain. I am on constant pain level of 8 and it relieves to about a 2 sometimes it disappears all together. Doctors are evil they would rather see you suffer then to help you, just to PROTECT THEIR OWN BUTT! As the mercenary in FIREFLY states "Every Doctor should be shot in the leg to see how it feels" It would make them a ton more understanding of pain and how much it ruins your life.

Related Reading: prednisone | percocet | suboxone

Comment from: Jonathan445, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 26

I'm 19 and have chronic TMJ pain which runs in family. I've tried Vicodin (Hydrocodone-Acetaminophen) which didn't help the stabbing and dull pain in my jaw. Went to the ER and was given Percocet 5/325. This drug stopped the pain COMPLETELY for hours and had no side effects. It does cause drowsiness, so do not operate machinery or drive until you know how it effects you. Aside from that, Percocet is really a lifesaver for moderate-to serve pain. Since I have legitimate pain i also don't have those "addictive" feelings that narcotics tend to have.

Related Reading: vicodin | hydrocodone | acetaminophen

Comment from: lojayevañs, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I'ge been diagnosed w/ spinal stenois, oa,spine curvature, 6 bulging disc and 2 perineual cysts on my c7 and L2. I find the comb/percoset,prednisone, gabapentin and Paxil helps me TREMENDOUSLY!!! if I can lead a halfway normal life I Don't care of the horror stories bout addiction!!! Prior to my recent mri I took lortab for 5yrs or so for oa along with mobic. If you have been diagnosed w/ crippling disease don't be putoff w/ the stigma of an addict if u you have a little bit of quality life Then So Be It !!!!

Related Reading: gabapentin | paxil | mobic

Comment from: chelseabrock, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 01

Have been taking percocet for over a year now. 5/325, worked very well at first but I've found it doesn't last as long as it should, which causes me to be short at the end of the month. the withdrawals are really bad, is there anything I can do to help eliviate the depression hurt and feeling like I'd rather be dead than suffer through the withdrawals ?????

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: Sickofthis, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

I am a 19 year old male. I was in a car accident and it ruptered a disc and fractured a vertebrae.When i was released from the hospital i was given 20 percocet 15mg. They worked wonders. Im in pain 16 hours out of the day now and cannot get any pain medication due to the fact that everyone is GETTING HIGH from them. This p**ses me off because i cant even work. but I would just like to thank all of you who have made it impossible to receive pain relief.

Comment from: working man, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 25

I was prescribed Percocet for damaged nerve pain in my adbomen area, after two major surgeries. It has helped me soo much. Doctors who are afraid to prescribe it are either ignorant or evil. It has allowed me to get out of bed and go to work and spend time with my children, and gradually evolved into exercising regularly. It is simply a "Quality of Life" issue. Either deal with the pain and not be able to enjoy time with my family or be able to work and provide for my family OR take the medication as needed and enjoy time with my kids & wife and provide for them by enabling me to work with minimal pain. HMMMM, a "No Brainer".

Related Reading: percocet

Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths See Slideshow
Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

Has anyone had the side effect of getting very hyper and not being able to sleep? The side effects listed are drowsiness and slowness but I am having the opposite of this. Took two 10 mg yesterday (about 4 hours apart) and did not sleep at all. It did relieve the pain completely so that was good. I was just unable to sleep - had unexpected energy. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment from: thewholive, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 26

This drug is the most dangerous drug on the planet in terms of addiction.I took it for 2 years and withdrawel i would'nt give to my worst enemy.Its like having the flu x 5 plus anxiety extreme pain sweats etc.Please people be carefull if your on this drug.Long term effects are beyond danger.

Related Reading: flu | anxiety