Periostat

Comment from: HappyHippieLady, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 02

I did not need gum surgery after taking Periostat but - according to the mfg- I was one of 4 people who's intestines were destroyed by this drug. I came down with to pseudomembranous colitis and I have suffered from spasms and non-stop diarrhea for 5 or more years now. It's awful and I am miserable. I couldn't sue because they did not know anyone would react to Periostat like this. I went thru so many doctor bills, hospital bills, etc and the mfg paid nothing. My doctor said I had the worse case of pseudomembranous colitis that he had ever seen in 20 years. He told me to warn everyone NOT to use it and for me to tell all my doctors what happened to me. 1 hour of oral surgery would have been easier than a life time of diarrhea.

Related Reading: periostat | colitis | diarrhea

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 08

I am a smoker with moderate to advanced periodontal disease. My periodontist performed scaling and root planning with localized surgical treatment. After several years in maintenance mhy condition began to breakdown. I began using periostat and slowly over the next nine months the periodontist noted a decrease in my bleeding and inflammation as well as my pocket depths. This medication has worked from inside my body to help control the inflammation response to my periodontal infection.

Related Reading: periostat

Comment from: me in MN, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 19

Had to stop because it caused Thrombocytopenia (low blood platelets). Tell your doctor or have your dentist tell your doctor you are taking this medication!

Related Reading: thrombocytopenia | platelets

Comment from: Mary B., 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 24

Prescribed by dentist after scaling and root planing. Had to stop taking it because of blood in stools. Also had to stop other medications (simvastatin, baby aspirin and Chantix) until condition clears, and be subjected to a sigmoidoscopy.

Related Reading: simvastatin | aspirin | chantix

Comment from: loves2dance, on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a complete hysterectomy which was not related to the periostat, but since my operation, I'm having digestive problems. I get bloated and have gas and indigestion. I'm taking glutamine and probiotics. I just don't know if the medicine caused my problem though. I was taking it for several years. The warnings in package warned about long term use.

Related Reading: indigestion | glutamine