Perphenazine

Comment from: Now Sane and Happy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 22

I tried many other psych drugs before finding out perphenazine worked best for me. It is one of the older neroleptics but is just as efective as the newer drugs of this type. One of my doctors took me off it and gave me Zyprexa insted and the Zyprexa made me gain 50 lbs, which I now can't loose. So now I'm back on perphenazine and it works great for me. I take 12mg once a day. It makes me think more clearly and keeps me calm. It also keeps me from getting paranoid about things, which I had a big problem with. I have been taking this drug for over 20yrs with no side effects except for a little drowsiness which I counteract with coffee. I also take an anti-depresent, doxepin. These drugs saved my life.

Related Reading: perphenazine | zyprexa | doxepin

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: February 27

went to best hospital available (MAYO MN) was taken off Abilify and Geodon and perphenazine med. has helped so much. low side effects for me and leveled out hypomania and depression at same time. have been on for almost 6 weeks and feeling better every week! thank goodness for Mayo doctors who realized a old yet still very effective med. would work.

Related Reading: abilify | geodon | depression

Comment from: ccalvin57, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 12

It took a while, 4-6 weeks, but it does help allot. My mood swings, depression to way highs, slowly stopped. My thought patterns started to make sense, instead of being so strange. Best med I have been on for my bi-polar disorder.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 12

I was on perphanizine back in 1995 and it worked extremely well for my scattered thought pattern and depression.I was recently put back on this medicine.It is a great medication.

Comment from: CJdenise, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 12

This medication has been a life-saver for me. I had been experiencing insomnia for 4 days. My meds were adjusted from Abilify to perphenazine. After 2 weeks all of my symptoms were relieved and I can sleep 7-8 hours every night.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: bullwinkle, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 07

I have Bi Polar 2 and have tried practically every drug and or combination one could think of, then after particularly severe depressive episode that went to cycling rapidly along with anxiety and suicidal thoughts I was put on Trilafon along with Depakote. All I can say is after 4 weeks I feel better, not great but I'm not suicidal either.

Related Reading: anxiety | depakote

Comment from: dan r., 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 18

It made me hallucinate and disallusionment, made me extremly sick at my stomach. It made me go into extremly bad hot flash and perfusly sweat. I connot tolerate this medication not even a small dose.

Comment from: joefrmn, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 03

From day one my anxiety and depression went away. I have been feeling very normal. I take 4mg.

Comment from: wade4367, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 10

I have bipolar II with PTSD. I was given this drug to help quite the voices in my head. At first it had caused headaches, especially at night. But the headaches subsided and the voices have since quieted down.

Comment from: jabaerga, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 17

I use perphenazine 2mg for anxiety. It worked right from day one. I feel very stable. Before taking it I was having difficulty making decisions and I had a lot of tension in my jaw area and my tongue was rolling back, probably caused by the antidepressant medication I take. This drug is very inexpensive.

Comment from: jimbo, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 05

worked for me. better than cymbalta, better than geodon, didnt mess with brain chemistry(taking 4-6 weeks to start and stop). 5 stars. cheaper than geodon ($50 vs. $720)

Related Reading: cymbalta | geodon

Comment from: chevimpala, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 01

When first pur on this med I was taking abilify which quit working. I ended up in the VA Hospital and they started giving me 16 mg in the morning and 16 mg in the evening of perphenazine. This helped for a few months until I started to relapse. Lucky for me some people noticed me relapsing and I went to the Dr. They once again admited me to the VA Hospital and they changed the perphenazine to taking it all at night. This has turned out good and now it has been a year. The only thing I am concerned about now is my lower back started hurting shortly after starting this med and I need to follow up now with my Dr. to see if it is related to the med or not. I just got off the phone with the VA Telenurse and of course the same response "how could it be the meds". So now it is time to talk to the Dr. to see for sure what it is.

Related Reading: abilify | perphenazine

Comment from: fungalnut, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 03

It has helped me become more stable with my bipolar disorder since I have been taking it. It has been a life saver for me.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 26

My Dr. gave me this drug for sleep problems. I read nothing about helping insomnia. It did not help at all, as a matter of fact, it may have made it harder to sleep.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: buhnehop, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 01

un til lately, I have been feeling fine on this drug @ 2 mg a day. lately, tho, my blood pressure is going thru the roof.

Comment from: absolute_li, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 19

I only started this medication 4 days ago. I have read reviews saying it helped right away. I can say without a doubt that has not been my experience. So far, nothing but blurriness, dizziness and disorientation. I have PTSD, BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), among a few other diagnoses. So far, I have noticed no improvement and I pray this changes soon. I will definitely give it more time, but as I was also told to take it as needed (aside from my daily dose) I am worried. It does not calm me down even in the slightest, but makes me more disoriented and thus, more agitated. I hope this changes as I am getting pretty desperate. This review does not mean it won't work for you. So far, it hasn't for me but I tend to react to medicines poorly in general so remember everyone reacts differently!

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 17

ADHD is my diagnosis and the Dr. thinks this will help me find my middle c by enhancing the Adderall. Im not so sure.

Related Reading: adderall

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

I am Bi-Polar and have tried many drugs. This one helped alot with the rearragement of thoughts and slowed me down. I get dizzy upon standing, but I just go slow.

Published: April 02

The medication works for me with minimum side effects. I take the medication at night to avoid sedative and dizziness affects.

Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Mandy, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 26

I have tried numerous medications. A few months ago i sought help after having given up on medication for a while but I decided to receive help again due to the fact that my ability to organize my thoughts was diminishing. This is by far the best antipsychotic medication I've been on. This one doesn't sedate me or make me feel like a zombie. It helps me manage my symptoms very well. I'm not cured by any means but this medication has made life a lot more worth living.

Comment from: L, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 02

I have been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder. Had it since I'm 19, I'm 30 now. I have tried so many medications. I have been taking this medicine for about 2 years, 4 mg daily.. and it has kept the voices and ghosts at bay. I haven't experienced any side effects so far either. This is the only medicine I trust. I do have to take a sleeping pill for my insomnia though. It's been about 2-3 years since I last went to the hospital, and even though it didn't seem to help when I was having a psychotic episode too much, once I started to get better this has helped me maintain some sense. It isn't a cure, but it has helped an awful lot and anyone out there who is experiencing this, I say ask your doctor about it! I'm still alive! :) It was the least expensive of all the meds I tried too. The doctor did prescribe benztropine recently on an as needed basis, to help with the side effects, but I guess I don't really need it. She said if I experience any muscle stiffness or drooling to take it, but it drys me out too much.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 01

I started zyprexa in 2003 and immediately gained 50 lbs. after nine months I gave up on my doctor and got a second opinion. The new doctor took me off of Zyprexa and put me on Perphenazine and Lamictal. I can't separate the effects of these two drugs because I started taking them at the same time. It has been a very effective treatment. I have stable relationships and a very high quality of life, which would not have been possible after the onset of my illness. There is nothing I've done in my life which was harder than finding the right treatment, even quitting smoking. Take your meds, talk to your doctor, hang in there.

Related Reading: zyprexa | perphenazine | lamictal

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 11

Heart fluttering, involuntary movements, irritability, decrease of motivation, cerebral cortex damage resulted.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 16

this pill has helped me over the time that I was started to use it.

Comment from: jordan, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

similar to adhd - lack 0f organization, follow though, forgetfullness, trouble sleeping regularly

From WebMD Logo