Phenobarbital

Comment from: poohey, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 20

I have been using this drug for over 28 years now.I was diagnosed epileptic at age 12.I was put in a major university for over 3 mo.they tried depakote,dilanten,you name it,then at 16 I became pregnant @found out the other drugs given causes such bad side effects to my unborn child I changed drugs.This has been a life saver I have 6 children,3 grandchildren non can keep up with me.The side effects of this drug are real awakening but you can overcome all of them but the fidgeting!Or at least I have.The dilanten was so bad and rotted all my teeth.Dr. today call this an OLD drug,but not all "old" things are bad.The side effects of the others and the lack of control you have on them is over whelming and not functional and certainly not positive.I have only had 9 grand mall seizures in 28 yrs.this was and is a miracle drug for me.

Related Reading: depakote

Comment from: CJ, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 03

I was diagnosed with Eplipesy when I was 11 (I am not 46) but had been suffering from seizures for many years prior. Started with Phenobarbital (and Dilantin). My advice... do your homework and think twice before approving the use of Phenobarbital for yourself or your child!!! Can cause severe depression, rapid tooth decay and osteoporosis.

Related Reading: phenobarbital | dilantin | depression

Comment from: Kay, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 18

After using this med for over 40 years,my only quibble is that it does make you sleepy! Be that as it may,it works...and you do learn to adapt!

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 19

This medication was prescribed for my Boston Terrier dog who was experiencing seizures. She was taking it twice a day, and did very well until a month after the first seizure and had another one, had to up her dose.. so far it just makes her sleepy but shes doing great on on this medication.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: Truth be told, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 15

Phenobarbital will ruin your life and body. I was on 300mg a day for 24yrs, made me a very angry violent person. Rotted my teeth out . I finally just stopped taking it and food tastes much better and the anger is gone. been off it for 10 yrs and you could never pay me enough money to take it again. Phenobarbital is a evil drug and the doctors will never tell you about known side effects, that it destroys your body over time or that it may make you very aggressive / violent . by the way I took it for seizures that started after a car accident when I was 4 due to a head trauma that the doctor said caused me to have seizures. I still remember the principal in my school saying to my parents that I was retarded and should go to a special school. I wish he could have been put on 300mg a day to see him try and do his job. I run my own business , build homes and resteraunts. find a better medication for your children for their sake please.

Comment from: mandy, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 16

When I first started taking this medication it made me very tired, but it was worth it. My seizures have stop and I no longer get drowsy when taking Phenobarbital.

Comment from: on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 16

i have been on phenobarbital since 1985, when i had my first seizure, and through a combination of that drug and dilantin, i have not had a seisure. though i wonder why it is that 64.8mg of phenobarbital is considered the same dosage amount as 60mg. just looking at the numbers, it seems to me that 64.8mg is a higher dose that 60mg. i only mention this because i seem to get more drossy the day i began taking the tablets with the medicine bottle labeled 64.8mg.

Related Reading: phenobarbital | dilantin

Comment from: touchofblue, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 04

It's taken a while to get my levels staying in the therapeutic range, but once I did--ZAP!! I am now almost seizure-free...after 31 years.

Comment from: 7-12 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: June 01

This medication is for my Dachshund (canine) for severe seizures by her vet. She doesn't seem to have any problems but can this drug cause weight gain?

Comment from: happy101, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 16

love it

Comment from: Thomas NYC, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 19

After a motorcycle accident 1984 due to a double hematoma I have been on and off Phenobarbital tried dilantin,depakote blablabla,finaly this is the only med for me!I take3x64.8mg in the morning and have been Grand Mal Seizure free since 1994>The med does make me agigatated and very compulsive.But at least Seizure FREE

Related Reading: hematoma | phenobarbital | dilantin

Comment from: rosie29, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 13

I was diagnosed with a seizure disorder 8 yrs ago. my first medication made my seizures worst. i got pregnant, my doctor put me on phenobarbital, i have not had a seizure for 5 years. i am very pleased with this medication

Related Reading: seizure | phenobarbital

Published: July 18

I used this medication for more than 28 years and now have osteoporosis. This is one of the side effects.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 03

My cat was having frequent, severe seizures but on this medication has been seizure free for 2 years!

Comment from: christopher, 55-64 (Patient) Published: April 28

im on 3 drugs at the moment Keppra Laosamide and now phenobrbital how can i tell which one is working!

Related Reading: keppra

Comment from: HappyButNot, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 08

The drug has done exactly what it was supposed to do for me. That doesn't mean that I have been "satisfied" with the experience...to be on any drug is to forfeit control of your life. To do so because of a condition can be frustrating at the very least...

Comment from: sandi706, 3-6 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 26

My son, now 4 yrs old suffers from severe brain damage since birth & has been on phenobarbital since then. Of course the dosage has been increased over the last 4 yrs because he is growing & the dr wants to keep his phenobarb level acceptable. He was having gramd mal seizures quite frequently but now he only has them once in a while. The med works very well for him & anyone who has seen a child go into an uncontrollable seizure would be glad to have this med around.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 08

I started having seizures just before I started 2nd grade. I took phenobarbital for only 1 year. I am now 30 yrs old and have not had a seizure while I was on the drug or since I have been off of it.

Comment from: sah, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 18

epilepsy

Comment from: tyler123, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 02

4 Minutes After Birth i Had My First Seizure and Was In Critical Condition. The Doctors Still To This Day Aren't Sure What Caused The Epilepsy, but My Pediatrician Perscribed Me With Phenobarbital Which Was a Liquid And Everynight Until I Was 7 Years Old I Had To Drink This Horrible Tasting Stuff, but I'm Glad To Say That I Am Now 16 Years Old And Have Been Seizure Free For 13 Years Thanks To This Medicine.

Related Reading: seizure

Comment from: Tybee, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 03

I've been using this medication for about 1 month for my insomnia. It's worked very well for me and some nights I'd sleep for 12 hours at a time.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 05

I have been on Pheno since 1967 along with Dilantin and have very good seizure control.

Related Reading: dilantin | seizure

Comment from: Marcia, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 08

I was put on this medication in 1991 after having partial and then a grand mal seizure. At first it worked pretty good but then the seizures returned.I was put on 3 different other drugs(tergtol,topramx & Limictal ?sp. but they only made seizures worse. Am back on Pheno and usually have seizures every 1-2 wks.They generally are for one day only.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 22

I have taken it for 29years and works fine.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 27

I began having seizures when I was three (I am now 31) and tried other medications with adverse side effects. I then tried phenobarbital and have been seizure free since. I also have never experienced any of the known side effects. Phenobarital has done wonders to control my grand mal seizures.

Related Reading: phenobarbital