Phenobarbital

Comment from: Garvy65-71on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 07

I've been taking this drug for over 30 years and now had a seizure due to being toxic. My doctor has put me on Keppra, what can I expect from this drug? Will it keep the seizures away?

Related Reading: seizure | keppra

Comment from: Grateful75 or overon Treatment for 10+ years Published: April 19

I had grand mal seizures starting in 1957 when I became pregnant with third child. I was put on Dilantin which caused a lot of problems with my gums and did not control my seizures. I changed drs and was taken off Dilantin and put on 100 mg of Phenobarbital to be taken at bedtime. Iâ??ve not had a seizure since 1983 ( my 36th yr seizure free) I have no problems with teeth or gums, I sleep well, and I have not had to increase my dose. Far superior drug for me than Dilantin. I am 85- no bone problems.

Related Reading: dilantin | phenobarbital | seizure

Comment from: pamish6745-54on Treatment for 10+ years Published: December 29

I had my first seizure(grand mal)at age 15. After one year the doctors discontinued my use of it, chalking the seizure up to hormones. Within a few weeks I life changing grand mal seizure and spent 6 weeks in the hospital undergoing skin grafts and reconstructive surgeries. That was when the doctors put me back on phenobarb and officially diagnosed my epilepsy. I have taken this medication for 36 years now and my only seizures have been while I wasn't taking it. At age 51 I am just now experiencing some of the side effects, specifically bone/back issues, but it is worth the sacrifice to be seizure-free.

Related Reading: seizure