Plan B

Comment from: sw13, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 02

My ex-boyfriend came inside of me after i told him not to. He said not to worry about it that i could just take plan b. I was freaking out and took the medication not even 6 hours later. I ended up becoming pregnant. So just be very cautious and not use plan b as an excuse for unprotected sex. I heard that the effectiveness rate is only about 75%. Ladies please take care of yourselves, don't let a man do that to you!

Related Reading: plan b

Comment from: snegra, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 26

I used Oral Plan b after a condom break with my partner. The medication was easy to use and seemed to be very effective, since I did not become pregnant. Although I am very satisfied with it's effectiveness the side effects were a big problem for me. I experienced nausea, and headaches. The pills also changed my menstrual cycle and I spotted for several days after my cycle was done. I am also having problems with lower abdominal pain, and it has been almost a month since i have taken the pill.

Related Reading: plan b | abdominal pain

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm 21 years old and my boyfriend and I had an incident where the condom slipped off inside me after we had sex. I had ovulated a day or so ago, so naturally I was worried and thought I should get Plan B. I stressed myself out a lot reading these reviews so much so that I waited 24 hours before taking it because I was paranoid about side-effects. I wrote this review because I took Plan B, had some very mild cramping for a day or two, no spotting, and my period came as scheduled. A lot of people only write reviews when they have bad experiences, so I don't want anyone else to get as freaked out as I was reading them. It worked for me and the side-effects were virtually unnoticeable.

Related Reading: plan b

Comment from: motherof2already, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 07

9 days after my LMP the condom broke... Luckily Walgreens was open on Christmas day... I took the pill as directed. it was Less Than 24 hours from the time the condom broke... I had mild cramping, off and on, and tender breast... but in the end, IT DID NOT WORK FOR ME!! I just found out today I'm pregnant. So much for taking it up to 72 hours later. This product was a waste of $45. It probably only works if you are past your 'fertile' time... They have an ovulation calendar on this website. according to that calendar, I was very fertile that day... I bet this Plan B would have failed even if I had taken it 1 hour later.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 21

Im writing this review mainly because when I took it I went online to read reviews to see if I could find some peace. The only kind of reviews I found were ones that complained about the side effects, and how it DIDN'T work. I just want to let others know that I took the pill with no side effects whatsoever. It was simple and easy, and it worked just fine for me. So for the ladies that are worried, and expecting the worst, I just want to let you know not everyone has a terrible experience after taking it..its just that those who have good experiences dont have anything to say about it. they took it. it worked.they were done. So dont expect the worst, and dont worry.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 20

I had to use Plan B after unprotected sex with my boyfriend. I took the pills as directed within approximately 60 hours. About 6 days later I started bleeding (seemed like a period, just 2 weeks early). I was told by the Plan B hotline that it was just a symptom and that I should get my period as expected. Around the date of my expected period, I only spotted about 2 days and when it did not come I took a few pregnancy tests and got negative results. At this point I was very stressed out (due to this and other issues in my life). I thought that maybe the bleeding was actually my period so I counted 25 days (my normal cycle length)from the bleeding I experienced after taking Plan B but again did not get a period. I tested a few more times and got negative results. Finally, after much stress I got a period! I suggest staying as calm as possible when using Plan B. Besure to take the pills as directed (12 hours apart within 72 hours of unprotected sex). Do not let the side effects scare you either (I was nauseas, bloated, had aching breasts, and spotted all after taking Plan B). Also do not hesitate to call the Plan B helpline, they were very helpful.

Related Reading: pregnancy | stress

Comment from: JootiJazz, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 05

I am a 40 yr woman who is married and was never pregnant before. I was on birth control since age 15 due to severe periods. At age 40 (12/23/09), I developed a blood clot from birth control - found out I was Leiden 5 positive with 1 mututation and ordered off birth control for the rest of my life. On 12/22/10, my husband's condom broke at appx 10pm at night. I was mid-cycle - in other words - it was the 1st day of my ovulation. The worst day it could have possibly happened. Unsure if I was allowed to take Plan B due to my blood clotting disorder, I contacted my OBGYN that night. He instructed me to contact my hematologist in the AM. At appx 1:30pm the following day (16 hours from broken condom), I was told it was OKAY to take Plan B with my blood clotting disorder. I did not have one side effect at any time. No sickness, no dizziness, no headache...NADA. I did not take any food with my pill and had an empty stomach when I took it. I didn't eat until 4 hours after I took the pill to ensure it stayed in my system. I also am the type of person who has reactions to everything - but not Plan B! FYI: Plan B hormones only stay in your body for appx 48 hours. The results? NOT PREGNANT. I got my period on the exact day I was supposed to get it too. Not 1 day late, not 1 day early. I am very glad I took Plan B, because I was ovulating the exact day the condom broke. It is important to state that time is of the essence in taking Plan B. Sperm can live up to 2 days inside your body. If you are ALREADY PREGNANT, PLAN B WILL NOT TERMINATE YOUR PREGNANCY. It will do nothing for you. It will stop you from ovulating - and possibly hinder the sperm from fertilizing your egg and attaching to your uterus. To all future readers and posters: Don't believe the hype. Relax. Take Plan B (one pill). Post where you are in your cycle when your accident happened. It will help in determining the chances of Plan B working for others. Good Luck & THX Plan B!

Related Reading: dizziness | headache | pregnancy

Comment from: (Patient) Published: June 07

ECTOPIC PREGNANCY: I took a pill 8 hours after sex -- I took a pregnancy test a few weeks later when my period was missed, and it came out negative. I wasn't worried, as I had light spotting all month, sore breasts - thought it was the pill side effects. Got what I thought was my period a month after taking pill, it lasted for 9 days (usually my period is 3 days), but it was not normal as it was lighter flow and dark brown. Two weeks after that, I suddenly was hit with HORRIBLE cramping and some bleeding. I assumed it was another period, and was cramping from hell because I had 2 months of period "stored up." After a night of pain, I took another pregnancy test - POSITIVE. Rushed to emergency room, it turns out that I had an ectopic pregnancy (fetus formed in fallopian tube), and I would have died from a ruptured tube and bleeding without fast surgery. From what I understand, this is a very rare side effect, but I wanted to let all know to take very painful cramps seriously. BTW I'm 34, healthy, no children.

Related Reading: ectopic pregnancy | pregnancy | ruptured

Comment from: horsiemama, 19-24 (Patient) Published: December 10

I just wanted to explain how this product works for those that dont know. Ive seen some unhappy women on here talking about how it doesnt work. It is not guaranteed to work. Plan B works by making your body not ovulate. If you are already ovulating when you had the unprotected sex, plan b will do nothing. Sperm usually lasts about 48 hours. Plan B is to keep you from ovulating if you havent already, while the sperm is still alive, if that makes sense. If you havent ovulated when you had the unprotected sex, it really is a wonderful product. So, what I am trying to say is if you were ovulating when you had the unprotected sex, chances are you will get pregnant. Because of the way this works, if you were to get pregnant when you take the pill/s or if you already were, it will not harm the baby in any way, though, of course, it is not recommended. I hope this makes sense and is helpful to some of you. Good Luck! ;)

Comment from: 25-34 (Patient) Published: April 16

I was off the pill for a few days and we forgot to use back up contraception. I took Plan B 8 hours after sex. I was confused because the doctor said I'd get my period within a few days and that concurred with information I read online. After a week I still didn't get my period and I was a little nervous. But I got my period on schedule with my natural cycle, two weeks after I took Plan B.

Comment from: Sexyslim, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 20

I used the Plan B the very next morning after the condom slipped off, and I started myt period about 1 week later. and i was wondering if i were going to see my period again at the end of the month??? but overall, i was happy to see any type of blood !!!!!! no complaints from me at all

Comment from: PlanBuser, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 21

I have had to take Plan B twice. The first time, was a couple of years ago and the condom broke. I was pretty secure of where I was in my cycle but the guy I was with at the time was adamant about taking every possible precaution so I figured the $40 was worth a little extra reassurance. I don't like to take meds without extensive research and by the time I completed my research the pharmacy was closed and it was the next morning before I could take it. Roughly 36 hours after intercourse. I did have minor side effects, but they were so minor, I think they may have been in my head because I convinced myself that without the side effects the pill wasn't working. In the end, my period was on time and regular. The second time was a completely different experience. This time, in the heat of the moment, me and my boyfriend didn't use protection and had a definite "oohps" moment. The next morning I didn't think anything about it, but throughout the day, I started calculating and realized I was closer to ovulation than I had originally thought. The next day I went and got Plan B. Again it was about 36 hours. This time, I had severe cramps, nausea and fatigue for the first few days. After that off and on for another week or so. The good news is that my period came a week later. The bad news is that it wasn't regular. My normal period is 3-4 days. As of this posting, it has been 10 days and I still have spotting and it is seems to be off-color. Based on these varying experiences, I suspect that the last occurrence would have likely ended in pregnancy and the Plan B did its job. The first time I was probably safe to begin with. Keep in mind that Plan B only works to stop ovulation during the 3 day life cycle of sperm. If you aren't within the range for ovulation you don't need it.On the flip side, if you are already ovulating, it is already too late. If you are in doubt about your cycle, Google "Ovulation Calendar." Also, you can find a $5 coupon online.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: ***, 25-34 (Patient) Published: May 14

I took Plan B, felt a little "off" that day (light headed, nauseas, slight headache)Then recieved a period 5 days later. Great! I wasn't pregnant! It worked. My biggest concern was that I DIDN'T GET MY NEXT PERIOD FOR 6 1/2 WEEKS! I normally cycle like clockwork. I took 2 pregnancy tests and although they were negative I was still very concerned! I finally got it today! YEA! I would still recommend this option in case of emergency but I sure hope I don't have to go through the worries again myself! Better than having a new baby on the way tho!

Related Reading: headache

Choosing Your Birth Control Method See Slideshow
Comment from: lilpanda, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 10

First off, i'd like to say that thinking i could possibly get pregnant is the worse feeling i have ever felt as a college student. Things were running through my head like crazy such as: My family will disown me; OMG! Im going to seriously hurt him if i'm pregnant;and will i have to get an abortion? I asked the guy i was with if he remembers anything from other night and whether or not anything got in me. He was experiencing a hangover atm and completely useless(the doofus). I actually started crying and my friend drove me to CVS to get plan B. I read all the possible side effects and, frankly, didn't care what happened, just as long as i didn't get pregnant. I consumed it just a little under 48 hours after intercourse. It cost around 45 bucks because I was able to print off a coupon from Plan B's website. A week later i got my period (which was sort of odd because i had just gotten it a week earlier, but i didnt care, it was the greatest relief i had ever experienced) The best part about this is that i didn't even experience any of its possible side effects besides the change in my cycle. One of my other friends said the same. Another friend, however, said that she felt dizzy, nausea and had major cramps. In short,knowing this product prevented me from getting pregnant and possibly having an abortion (which is at least $350 with the pill) is definitely worth the $45 i spent. I am extremely grateful for this product.

Related Reading: plan b | getting pregnant

Comment from: `1234567890, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: May 04

My girlfriend and I had sex when my condom broke off. We went to our local pharmacy and paid 55 dollars for the plan B pill, I didn't care about the price, it was our only hope for her not getting pregnant. She took it within 30 minutes and we waited. Her period was scheduled to arrive a week later. With many sleepless nights and uncertainty of our future cause alot of stress. Then a week later she got her period, a blessing from God himself! She had no side effects and 3 days after taking pills started to feel her period come. I am very happy with this pill and that we aren't having a baby! I also read the bad reviews on here. For the people that say thanks to plan b pill for not working, its not the pills fault, its not guarenteed to work. Try to stay calm and ladies dont stress out and cause your period to be late. My girlfriend was very calm and told me to relax and thing will be fine.

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: 19-24 Published: May 22

Two days after my period, my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. He says he knows what he's doing and blah blah blah. But I still don't know why I let it happen, passion takes over I guess. I was very worried although he did not ejaculate inside of me, it doesn't matter. I took plan B within 15-20 hours after. I had tenderness in the breasts, a little moody, and lower stomache pains. Nothing I couldn't handle though. After 3 days I had bleeding for about 3 days. Breakthrough bleeding I suppose? I got my next period right on schedule.

Comment from: nyambush, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 29

I took it after 36 hours,it actually worked.but the second time after 48 hours,it dint work.It was too unfortunate i became pregnant.I was dissapointed knowing how it had costed me.$45.00

Comment from: oknow, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 04

I have only taken plan b once in my life, and here is how it went. Ive never been on any kind of birth control before, and will all the side effects was scared to take it. My boyfriend and I use the pull out method and are extremely careful when I'm ovulating. One night we had a bit too much to drink and he came inside. I was at the prime of ovulating so I knew I would get pregnant. The next evening after a day of research i took the pill. It didn't make me break out nor did it change my mood swings. I just slept that whole night and the following day. My body just felt exhausted. The pill worked with very little side effects at the time. In a bit over a week I got my period. That month it came and left and it was all fine. The trouble started the following month, my next period started only after 10 days since the previous one, it was very heavy. After 9 days of huge blood clots and heavy non stop period i went to see my family physician. After blood test i was told that i became anemic due to all the blood loss. They put me on low hormone birth control and iron to help stop the period. a few days later it stopped. I started taking the inactive pills as my period started and again to active ones after a week. at this point a month and a half later my period is still on. Its pretty light but constant. I have gone back to see the doctor that has put me on high hormone pill but its been 2 weeks and the period is still on. Ive never had anything like this happen to me before but the pill has really messed me up. not sure how long it will take to recover. at this point even though i was 90% sure i would've gotten pregnant, i would most likely still taken the risk, this is so not worth it. don't think the pill effects everyone the same but thats what it did to me...

Related Reading: plan b | blood clots

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

I had sex on Friday and my partner did not use a condom. I took the pill around noon the next morning. I had been on birth control pills but I NEVER took the pills on time, so I pretty much didn't use any form of protection. Stupid, I know. The next few days were unbearable and I spent each minute overwhelmed with anxiety and panic. My period was supposed to come that Friday, so every day I didn't get it, I grew more and more anxious because my period never comes more than a day late. Six days after I took the pill, I finally got my period. I can not express how thankful I am that plan b is available for times like this. This experience has made me realize how important it is to practice safe sex. I will always use a condom and I will take my birth control on time every day now. Sex is a huge responsibility. It's an adult decision to become sexually active and therefore requires adult actions, like being responsible by using forms of birth control. If you are freaking out like I was about not getting your period, PLEASE do yourself a favor just don't psych yourself out. Until your period comes, there's nothing you can do but wait and have faith that this pill works. Because it does. The situation you are in is what it was made for. Use this experience as a life lesson.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: blueblue, 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 28

My bf and I had sex and the condom broke while he ejaculated inside me without either of us knowing it broke. We were both freaked out being only 16 years old. A week went by without side effects and exactly one week later my period came. I was early enough in my cycle that it worked just fine. Even if your not early in your cycle the medicine will stop the egg from attatching. Bottom line, you have to pray. I did for an entire week and everything turned out okay. Yeah, the medicine doesnt always work, its not perfect. But if you pray and ask for a second chance to make things right maybe everything will turn out alright. Don't worry if it takes long for your period. The medicine will make it come early regular time or late. Everything will be okay you just need to calm down.

Comment from: 13-18 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 12

So I was on antibiotics for about 4 days with my birth control. I wasn't expecting any kind of sexual encounter so I didn't really think about it too much. Then I stopped the antibiotics, and the next day i had sex. My partner had a condom, but he got it from his car and that really worried me. He told me everything was fine, but still i was freaking out. The next day i got plan b, just to be safe. (i'm a very paranoid person haha) I did not experience any side effects like nausea, but i did feel a little bit tired and dizzy. The thing i didn't like about plan b was the cramps. I had these dull cramps that lasted around 2 weeks, and then turned into the normal menstrual cramps i get before my period. Also i am prone to headaches, and this definitely made them worse. But anyway, I got my period today (a day and a half earlier than i expected) so everything's good!!! I recommend it for anyone who's worried that they might've been unprotected!

Related Reading: plan b | menstrual cramps

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: June 29

After having sex, my boyfriend and i discovered the condom had slipped off, stayed inside of me and broke. Needless to say the entire night was ruined and filled with feelings of anxiety and uncertainty. Although i was on the pill, my boyfriend suggested Plan B. I took it the next morning and waited. Two weeks later i waited for my period to come and well....nothing. But as it states on the box, plan b may effect your period. Thankfully, the week after it was expected it arrived and obviously it worked! Plan B saved the day....well the lifetime my boyfriend and i would have spent raising a child. I would definetly recommend this emergency contraception.

Related Reading: anxiety | plan b

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: January 16

I'm writing this review for the women, who like me read all the reviews scared of the side effects of taking Plan B. Don't worry not all medications affect people in the same way so I wanted to share my expereince. I took Plan B one step within 24 hours of having sex. I took Plan B because i missed some pills during the month of my daily low-dose birth control. I was nervous this pill would make me sick but I experienced NO unpleasant side effects and got my period 2 days late. I'd recomend it to anyone who thinks there could be that chance of becoming pregnant if your birth control failed. It pays to be safe and if I ever get in the situation again later in life and I would definitely use it as emergancy contraception again.

Comment from: Barbie Crash, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 02

The first day of my last menstural period was January 16th 2010. On January 26 around 9:30 pm I had unprotected sex, and on January 27th at 11:00 am I went to a clinic and took plan B one step. The next day I felt a little nauseous. On February 2 2010 I had started a very weird period, I wouldn’t even call it an actual period, the blood was dark brown, I had no cramping (which I ALWAYS have), the “period” last 2 days and was not heavy at all.. My breast were starting to get tender as if I were going to be starting my actual menstrual cycle. As the weeks went by my breasts got EXTREMELY PAINFUL, I started getting bloated and my face broke out HORRIBLY on the sides of my chin. I took a pregnancy test February 20th and it came out negative. February 25th something possessed me to eat a hot dog and that’s when I knew I WAS PREGNANT!!!! I took another test and sure enough I am pregnant! 5.5 weeks along (now 6 weeks)… I went to the Dr. and had an official test done, yep I am pregnant and my due date is October 24, 2010 PLAN B ONE STEP DID NOT WORK FOR ME AT ALL…. So ladies if you have pregnancy symptoms after taking this stupid pill, and your period is late…GO TAKE A TEST!!!

Related Reading: plan b | pregnancy

Comment from: riddlegrl, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 18

I was taken advantage of while passed out at a party a week and a half into my cycle. I was on the pill but I was also taking antibiotics and I could feel myself ovulate the next day. 2 1/2 days after the incident I took plan B. It was very easy to take and I had minimal cramping. Friend who had taken this in the past said they'd started their period within 2 days but mine was on schedule 2 weeks later. After reading some reviews I was very nervous those 2 weeks and when my period was light I waited another week and took a pregnacy test just to be sure. Thankfully it was negative. The drugs website lists bleeding as a side effect and says you're supposed to get your period on your regular schedule, so don't freak out by what you read and hear. I was very happy with this medication even for the $45 price tag.

QUESTION