Pravachol

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 20

I have use Pravachol for over four years now. My total cholesterol lever has changed from 250 to 160. I have had no side effects from this drug.

Related Reading: pravachol | cholesterol

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 31

My father was given this medication after bypass 2 yrs ago & complained about the burning sensation in his face/he was told it was better than the alternative. After blood test showed chol. level of 167, dr increased to 40 mg in May 2007. He complained of pain in every bone & muscle of his body- he became so weak. He blamed the medication for his pain/stopped taking but too late...his muscles were so weak that his heart gave out in his sleep..I don't trust this medication at all!

Comment from: mizrose, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 10

I've been taking it for about 12 days and I feel awful! Pain in my spine, legs, hands, headache. Feel like a zombie. Will try to switch to an herbal like red rice yeast. I hate it!

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 28

I took myself off of Zetia afer the bad press. At that time my cholesteral level was great. I was off of cholesterol meds for a year and my level climbed back to 230 so Doc prescribed Pravochol. I was given the generic. Took one pill every other day. Afer first pill felt burning in calf but didn't connect. Took second pill as directed and major muscles were on fire in addition to achy joints and itching all over. I won't take another one. It's been two weeks and my leg muscles are still burning. Doc is now reccommending Welchol or going back to Zetia.

Related Reading: zetia | welchol

Comment from: augydog, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 07

I started out on Zocor (5mg, 10mg, 20mg), and had to get off of it because of aches to my arms and shoulders. I've been on Pravachol for almost 5 years and have a LDL of around 100, and HDL of 48. My total cholesterol is around 180. I haven't experienced any of the known side effects to date. I also take CoQ10 100mg daily. If you take CoQ10, insure that you use the ubiquinol rather than the ubiquinone. Ubiquinone is the oxidized form of CoQ10. The ubiquinol is utilized by the body faster. I would advise reading up on the two. Also, ask your doctor about CoQ10, before taking it. I guess I'll stick with the Pravachol as long as I don't have any problems. I just hope there won't be any long term negative effects from taking this drug.

Related Reading: zocor

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 13

I'm 90 yrs old. Started taking pravachol on 9/14/11. On 11/25/11 I had a terrible pain on my right side under my ribs. My blood test revealed my liver enzymes were very elevated. I'm stopping it on my own. My doctor sent me to have an ultrasound and a nuclear goldbladder test. He shoudl have reviewed my chart and asked me to stop it. Lesson: do your own checking on all drugs and procedures.

Related Reading: pravachol | liver

Comment from: Roz, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 16

Took Pravastatin for about a year 40mg. Handled lowing my cholesterol very well. Over time I developed fatigue, mental fog, detachment, leg cramping, extremeties tingling/asleep, nausea, vomiting - overall not well. At a doc visit - I was told to come off the drug until I saw the doc at the next visit - in two weeks (a test). Within 5 days the symptoms started to lift and within days I felt like a new person. Then - 1.5 weeks into the "test" I got head to toe hives/rash - extreme. Doctor did not know why - but a friend of mine suggested that it was probably the "cold turkey" withdrawal from the drug. Anyone experience anything like that?? I'm now looking for natural remedies.

Related Reading: pravastatin | hives | rash

Comment from: linenrug, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 15

I have taken pravastatin for 1 year. After some months, I developed a chronic tired feeling. The last month I took it, iexperienced sever arm and chest pain/cramps. I also experienced short memory loss and emotional upset. I have since quit taking it once I realized the connection. I will have to see whether the symptoms decrease.

Related Reading: pravastatin | chest pain

I've been on Pravachol for 12 days and I feel awful! Pain in joints and spine, headache, feel like a zombie, no energy. Feel dislocated from everything. Going to ask my dr. about going to red rice yeast.

Related Reading: pravachol | headache

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 23

Hip, thigh and lower leg pain. Tiredness, Waking after 3-4 hours of nighttime sleep, with inability to go back to sleep. Unusual amount of urine.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

I just came back from my ophthalmology and have been told that I am developing a cataract. I am only 53. When I told my doctor that I have been taking Pravachol for the past 3 months, she said that was most likely the cause and for me to read the side effect warning. Sure enough, there it was. Now I don't know what to do. Guess I have to find another drug or risk heart disease. The Pravachol lowered my cholesterol from 234 to 180 after only 30 days.

Related Reading: heart disease | cholesterol

Comment from: cath306, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 26

I have been taking Pravachol for 2 weeks now and every muscle hurst and I have bloated so much and also having a hard time breathing so going to stop it myself and call the doctor in morning

Comment from: marsha, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 25

I have been taking this medication since jan 2010. For the last 3 months I had had muscle pains. The worst pain is in my shoulder areas.

Comment from: SarahSoda, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

I was prescribed 40mg. Shortly after starting the drug I took a nasty spill and sprained an ankle and pulled a muscle in the other leg. I mention this only because I really felt lousy long after the fall. I suddendly felt 88, not 58.. could barely walk at night time and had a hard time getting out of a chair. I was depressed and felt absolutely lousy. A friend mentioned to me that statins cause muscle pain, so I stopped taking the drug. Within 2 days I felt like a new person! No pain in my feet and knees and depression gone. I will not take a statin again. I'm not convinced after reading about statins that they are effective in woemn.

Related Reading: statins | depression

Comment from: Phil, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 11

My total cholesterol is 200 or less but my doctor is concerned about the LDL which is around 40. I have been against taking any cholesterol medicine in the past. The doctor is concerned about my family history with my mother's side of the family dieing with heart attacks and strokes when they were approximately 70 years old. I have had the same family doctor for 15 years and 7 years ago he started to encourage me to start taking cholesterol medicine and potentially blood pressure medicine which I have resisted until this last May. I started taking the pravastatin in June this year and in July started having blood pressure problems and was put on Lisinopril. I have had headaches and don't seem to generally feel the same. Experienced some depression and since taking pravastatin for 3 months now have been put on Lisinopril which the doctor says has no relationship. I felt fine and my blood pressure was good prior to being placed on pravastatin. I am not sure the preventive maintenance is worth the feeling. I am not overweight, ride bicycle (14-20 miles, walk 3 miles in 45 minutes etc.). I thought I would share this with you. By the way I do think my doctor has my best interest at heart but I do think somehow the cholesterol medicine affected my blood pressure. It may have not been a direct affect but potentially the change in body chemistry may have created a stress which has indirectly caused the blood pressure increase.

Related Reading: lisinopril | stress

QUESTION

What is cholesterol? See Answer
Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 28

I got this Pravastatin Sodium 40mg from my doctor for high bad cholesterol and low good cholesterol. I took it twice at bedtime as directed. Upon waking on the third day, I noticed that my ankles and feet hurt a little, as though I had run a lot the day before. I hadn't worked out for several days prior to taking this drug. My ankle and feet joints hurt. There was no muscle pain. There were no other side effects that I could discern. I have no other health issues, am in fairly good shape, and do not take any other medication. This was my first prescription medicine that I started taking after I turned 40 and started worrying about getting old. I had read the other reviews, both good and bad, and had hoped that I wouldn't have any side effects. I have stopped taking this medication. From what others had written, the side effects tend to get worse and take a LONG time to recover from. No thanks. I'm not taking that chance. I will try some Red Rice Yeast with COQ-10 tablets or just the COQ-10 tablets themselves from a healthfood store. They are more expensive than this prescription which was only a $10 copay with my insurance. But, I do not want to risk the side effects, including possible problems that I couldn't readily detect like liver issues. No way. Forget it. These COQ-10 supplements are not controlled substances since they are not marked as statins as far as the Food and Drug Administration is concerned...but they are statins from what I've read. So, I'll spend more money and try them.

Related Reading: pravastatin | cholesterol | liver

Comment from: kastle, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 12

I was recently perscribed 20mg Pravachol by my doctor. Almost immediately after starting it, I had extreme pain in my hips. I could barely walk let alone sleep at night. I thought maybe I had injured myself, but, could not think of anything I had done. Called my doctor, she told me to stop taking it and when I did, the pain went away immediately. Whew. Pravachol, not for me.

Related Reading: pravachol

Comment from: Barb, on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 08

used Pravachol 80 mg at night for 7 yrs. Could not get LDL below 109 with Zetia added for tha last 3 years HDL is 65 LDL down to 55 from 109. Total cholesterol is 122. No aches, no pain

Related Reading: zetia

Comment from: cards2atm, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been taking Pravachol for several years. It seems to be effective with little adverse effects. However during the time I have taken this drug, I have had an allergic reaction,(watering and running nose usully in one nostril.) I stopped taking Pravachol every other night, and noticed my allergies are not present.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 28

Started swelling about 4 months after first dose , pain in joints, could not sleep tingling in fingers at night, broke out in a rash and hives. Had to stop and start treatment for the hives and itching. I would not recommend this medicine.

Related Reading: rash | hives

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 09

Side effects have made me stop taking this drug. The good news is that it reduced my cholesterol from 270 down to 190 in about 60 days. The bad news is that at the same time I developed knee, wrist, and bottom of the foot pain that I never had before. I have excercised 90 minutes a day for 20 years with no problems. Now I have stopped due to these pain symptoms. I have stopped taking the drug for 10 days and am hoping the pain symptoms will stop. It may work for others but I will NEVER take a statin again.

Related Reading: foot pain

Comment from: gaylenlawrence, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 31

I have pain in my legs after taking it at night in the morning my muscles in my legs hurt. no sure if its the medicine or not been taking it for about 3 weeks now.

Comment from: doll, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 23

hi, i was using vitorin last year for a bit and was experiencing problem in the left arm when i leaned on it so i stopped taking it and then when i went to doc i told her why i stopped. she proscribed pravastatin and said this drug isnt as strong. provastatin 4mg. then i realised my joints were feeling very sore after sitting up, rising in the morning. i started doing doing bicycles in bed and stretching before i got up in the morning, it was that bad.stopped taking them for month.stiffness started going away.so i asked pharmacist whats the name brand of pravastatin and she said "Pravachol", i said give me that. $15.00 i had to pay for it.started taking it and believe me when i say this, my joints stopped being so stiff and now i do not do bicycles and stretch in morning before i get up! nor am i so stiff when i arise from couch or chair! body feels alot better and doc just love my numbers! sometimes you just have to do whats right for your body regardless of what your doc may be prescribing for you and thats what i did. i dont like to give any meds 5stars so i give pravachol the brand name 4stars lol. i willl not go back to the generic pravastatin which was 3dollars.

Related Reading: pravastatin

Comment from: Canashar, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 19

I took them for about 3 months. I have always been relatively fit and coordinated person. I soon experienced severe muscle weakness, muscle pain, muscle wasting and brain fog. I literally had to sit down walking from the kitchen to the bedroom, but for a while, I did not realize why. When questioned, the doctor said, and I quote: "You are just going to have to find a way to deal with these side effects, 'cause you are going to be on them the rest of your life". This statin induced muscle weakness resulted in two severe falls, a torn rotator cuff and a permanent dent in my skull!! I took myself off the statins, went on CoQ10. It took about 6 months for my strength to return. Please.....BE VERY CAREFUL with these statins. They were poison to my body. I wonder how many older Americans out there are feeling weak and are in pain due to these prescribed meds. Had my side effects not been as severe and come on so quickly, they may have been played off as simply getting old.

Related Reading: statins

Comment from: Bonnie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 02

I was prescribed .20 mg I started having severe gas pains on left side, almost went to emergency room. Put hot pack on my side and sure enough it was gas. I have had weight gain of 7 pounds. Started at 112 went to 119. Female 5'2" 58 years old. I started cutting the pill in half. The gas is less but still more than normal. I hate it. I feel tired and crabby. Did a great job on my cholesterol dropped it 100 pts. My doctor does not believe it is the medicine causes gas or weight gain. I stopped taking it and my weight started dropping right away. I am going to go back to flax seed oil and keep up with my diet and exercise routine. Any one else have gas and weight gain?

Related Reading: cholesterol

Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart See Slideshow

Pharmacy Editor: Eni Williams, Pharm.D., Ph.D.