Prialt

Comment from: John55-64on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: March 01

Prialt is very effective for pain relief. I was pain free for the first time in 10 years. The only problem was it destroyed my ability to form memories, made me constantly irritable and over emotional. If they could reduce the side effects it would be great. Unfortunately it left me a crying, screaming near psychotic.

Comment from: AC55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: March 07

My intrathecal pain pump was filled w/prialt 2006-2016. It was the only time I've been almost pain free after 2 bouts of cancer. I only stopped due to new Dr unable(unwilling)to find a way to fill it for me saying it was cost prehibitive. I was able to tolerate side effects by reducing PRIALT and increasing rider. I would love to go back on it as nothing else gives me the pain relief as PRIALT did. I hate taking pain relievers by mouth due to all their side effects , especially difficulty thinking clearly. Please make PRIALT available to us again.

Related Reading: prialt | cancer

Comment from: Too risky65-71on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 26

Hallucinations, depression, thoughts of suicide, loss of memory and Lost all desire for intimacy. My pain doctor charged 5 times what same dosage of dilaudid cost. Possible secondary gain? If you like to gamble, try prialt.

Related Reading: depression | suicide | dilaudid

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 19

Because intrathecally infused morphine has caused severe chronic lymphoedaema, the doctor was slowly decreasing the morphine and increasing the Prialt, so it took several months for the side effects of Prialt to become so pronounced as to be obvious ~ also because those side effects were compromising my critical thinking ability to assess the degree of the side effects. The side effects were an increasing memory deficit, and what became rather severe narcolepsy. I was sleeping 18 hours or more/day, I would fall asleep while performing functions... while brushing my teeth, thankfully the feeling of my legs giving way and the clatter of the toothbrush hitting the sink would wake me in time to keep from falling completely to the floor. Because if I fall asleep in my chair it is painful for my back/legs, once when I could tell it was coming on, and without thinking I made for the stairs to get up to my bed before it hit . . . but I did not make it and fell asleep, thankfully falling forward onto the stairs. If I'd been going downstairs when it hit, I would have fallen down the stairs. Even trying the stairs shows the level of impaired judgment. I was afraid to drive, could not track medication dosing for my elderly mother, could not remember day of the week and kept missing appointments. Clearly I was not functioning, the Prialt had to go. Thankfully, within a few days of the next pump refill without Prialt, the side effects began to decrease. I had hope that the side effects would fade altogether, but now a year afterward, I still have a moderate form of narcolepsy, and my memory/critical thinking have never completely returned to normal. I can at least function now, but I am still apparently permanently impaired by the Prialt.

Related Reading: morphine | prialt | narcolepsy

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 25

I was talking during a trial and I have never been more agitated and couldn't stop moving like restless leg syndrome and also found I was unable to urinate and when walking my legs were so weak I will never ever feel like I did taking this

Related Reading: restless leg syndrome

Comment from: Scotto 45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 06

For the first time in 20 years my pain is nearly gone. I am shocked how well it's working. The only bad part is it seems to make it harder to breathe(I have emphysema). I took it for severe chronic pain after multiple lower back & hip surgeries. Decades on oral narcotics never have this relief.

Related Reading: emphysema | chronic pain

Comment from: Roxanne65-71on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 25

This has been a positive treatment, and because of the way it is working, I have been able to NOT be taking 'drugs' for the pain. (I was taking way to much narcotic medication, but only as prescribed.... and my system became toxic.) I have had one pump replacement after 6-7 years, and now about half way through the second. I cannot say it was easy, but much easier than before. I cannot say it was painless, because regulating the amount of Prialt took some real time. Now I really want to know if some of my other problems could have anything to do to Prialt. Like stones, or elevated WBC.

Comment from: dsn55-64on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 01

I did not have music playing in my head but did have issues headaches, sinus teeth issues, concentration, and irritability. It took me a week to get pain relief and it was minimal. I would not have considered going back to work while on it. My flow was low at 1.2 and I recommend no higher than that to begin with. I have switched to morphine and am slowly making progress on pain levels.

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: September 07

I've been on Prialt for about 6 years. I've had no side effects that I can think of. I broke my lower spine and upper spine in several places during military career and my pain was horrible and ultimately ended my career, however Prialt made all the difference for me. I'm able to be a somewhat active dad and no longer take narcotics. I took narcotics for about 4 years before have a Medtronic synchromed II placed. I am on my 3rd pump and have no complaints about Prialt. Only that it's a serious game changer.

Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths See Slideshow