Prilosec

Comment from: eks, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 29

I started taking Prilosec under direction of a gastroenterologist in 1992, which I think may have been very close to the when it was first available. I had severe Barrett's Esophagus and was having emergency endoscopies about once a year. I took it 365 days a year from about 1996 until early this year. The scarring in my esophagus has almost completely healed, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, I also now have low B-12 levels, low iron levels, constant fatigue, and muscular non-arthritic pain. When I stopped the Prilosec, much of the muscle pain stopped as well. I think there is a strong possibility of a connection, but no doctor even told me of the B-12 connection, which is in fact well-documented. However, if you have been on Prilosec steadily for a long time, you cannot just discontinue it. Please do talk to a doctor first. There is a severe rebound effect and you have to do it very slowly. I am still taking some Prilosec after 6 months because I can't quite manage without it.

Related Reading: prilosec | barrett's esophagus | fatigue

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 25

This medication and others like it cause water weight gain in the feet, hands and especially the mid-section (belly) which only complicates the problem of pressure related to the stomach and esophogus. Not to mention the joint pain due to all of the excess fluid. Lethargy always accompanies drug use. We trade one disease for another unless the drug is a cure for the disease (which these medicines are not). Furthermore, once you stop taking it, the buringing is worse than ever before and so you almost become addicted to using it. I wonder how many folks have a malfunctioning gall bladder which is causing the problem and therefore these medications are only a band-aide fix for a larger concern. Also, these types of medications, including other anti-acids cause your bones to be weak. Counter to what we have been told about anti-acids being good sources of calcium. Perhaps, but your body needs the acid to rid the bones of old bone material. Otherwise, it just keeps building up causing bones to become brittle.

Comment from: breck, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 09

The Prilosec worked well controlling my GERD. But in the literature there is conflicting information. They seem to mention that you should only take it for 14 days except for certain conditions, but they sell it over the counter in 30 day increments. I took it for 4 months not knowing this. I had some stomach distress (nausea) at times. The worst was that my ankles and feet started swelling and my liver enzymes shot up. After reviewing literature on the internet I discovered that a) I probably took it too long. b)It can cause serious liver issues in some patients and c) When I quit taking it my stomach produced WAY more acid than it had previously. Almost like it was making up for lost time. I have been off of it for a month and my swelling is gone. I will find our about the liver function in a week. The acid reflux is still worse than before the Prilosec, but it's calming down a bit each day. Advice: make sure you keep an eye on your liver function. It's not a common reaction, but it is mentioned as a very serious potential reaction in the literature.

Related Reading: gerd | liver

Comment from: lynn, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 26

I dont understand i constantly clear my throat thinking there is a phlem ball in it and it won't stop. I have been taking 20mg prilosec in the AM and zantac at night no relief now i am taking prilosec twice daily. The bloating is hard to bear. Does anyone have an answer to the clearing of the throat at all? I have been to an allergist and an ENT and still no answers.

Related Reading: prilosec | zantac

Comment from: sue m, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 30

So glad to have found these reviews. I have taken Prilosec OTC for almost 2 years. I have had every side effect listed here: fatigue, hair loss, swollen ankles, increased blood pressure, urine odor, bad breath, foggy head, dizziness, weight gain, and stomach and abdominal bloating and fullness. Doctors told me these were not related to Prilosec and act like I'm just crazy. I am trying to gradually stop taking this and hope the side effects go away. But having terrible rebound reflux. Will be trying natural remedies in the future.

Related Reading: hair loss | bad breath | dizziness

Comment from: In Sealy, TX, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 31

I have been taking this drug for a year to help me with my acid reflux. It works very well for that but it has cause side effects for me that I have endured over the last year and was not able to pin point until recently. It caused me to become vitamin D deficient, I gained about 30 pounds, I have experience hair loss and my joints and muscles have been weak and in pain for a year. I decided to try not taking this product for a few days to see if my joint and muscle symtoms would clear up and they are. Follow the directions on the packet. Do not exceed 14 days of treatment unless your doctor prescribes it.

Related Reading: vitamin d

Comment from: annieC, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: May 04

The medication works great for the acid reflux disease but the side effects are rough. I have gained weight, my legs swell, I feel and uncomfortable physical fullness but stay hungry all the time. I have alot of pain in my knees. I feel very tired all the time. I can not lose any weight at all no matter what I do, so it's like fighting a losing battle because if I could lose weight then I wouldn't have to take the medication. I also have very disturbing dreams. I wake up with tingling legs and hands. I know the effects are from the medication because if I don't take it they go away. I need the medicine for the acid reflux so I just don't know what to do.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 08

Made me extremely ill due to retention of fluids and excess gas. Also had irregular heartbeat, lethargy, paranoia. Have been off of it for almost 3 months and feeling so much better. Still have rebound but better to tough it out than take this stuff! My advice: try lifestyle changes first!

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 09

I have suffered Reflux since 1972 and only found relief when prilosec came on the market. But I now have a concern about the length of time I have been taking the medication. I am suffereding from lack of energy to an extreme and I am concerned about B12 absorbtion caused by length of treatment. Also last week during an endoscopic it was discovered that I have polyops attached to the lining of my stomach. It seems that there is quite a few of them. My Reflux is so severe that I can't do without some sort of medication.

Related Reading: prilosec | b12

Comment from: Sati, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 23

I started taking prilosec 1 year ago, and immediately gained weight. The worde thing going on is my ligaments have become calcified, which means the calcium from my bones is growing outside of the bones structure, I am 37 years old and have to have surgery to scrape the calcium off of the tendons, I may have to have my rotor cuffs broken if it is too bad. I am a teacher, and drive 60 miles a day to and from work, in short I need my arms to live. The pain in my arms was so terrifying that I went to the emergency room screaming in pain..recently I have found out about the calcium blocking, and calcium absorbing problems created by taking prilosec...I wissh someone had told me about this before I started taking this drug. probiotics and magnesium are one of the ways I have gotten some relief..My weight gain is hard to handle, since I have taken the drug...but I am starting to lose again now that I have stopped taking this as well.

Comment from: micbar68, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 16

Prilosec 20 mg had been very helpful to me. I have suffered for years with gastro problems and acid reflux. The only thing I don't like is that my stomach gets bloated really bad and I feel full all the time. I only take it when I have flare-ups because of that reason. A few days after I quit taking it the bloating and the full feeling goes away. I do feel tired all the time but never really thought of this medication being the cause (after reading other reviews). I have been on this medication for over a year and it has helped me.

Related Reading: prilosec

Comment from: justme1974, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 12

I have been on Prilosec now for almost 10+yrs.Needless to say I am not slowly weaning myself off this medicine cause it has now caused me to have a stomach full of polyps, low b12, anemia, weight gain, muscle cramps, spasms, and low magnesium levels as well. Yes it works wonders for gerd, but not that wonderful if it causes all this and now a warning that PPI's like Prilosec carries a higher risk of heart attacks too, no thanks! Everyone please check out the link below to a complete list of all Prilosec side effects, mind blowing!!I am getting off this medicine completely and soon! To those who have tried to stop you have to wean yourself slowly off this medicine, you can't just stop or you will get rebound reflux that is much worse than regular reflux. Wishing everyone well.! http://www.drugs.com/sfx/prilosec-side-effects.html

Related Reading: anemia | muscle cramps

Comment from: Kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 30

I've been taking omeprozole(generic Rx prilosec) 40 mg per day for about 3 years. I'm age 51, gone through menopause, family history of osteoporosis, personal history of fracture (finger) and osteopenia in my hip. Do you think anyone (ENT, GP or GYN) who all knew I was taking this med. took an adequate history or advised me about this medicine? Fractured my wrist on Nov. 3rd. Bones moved and weren't healing after 3 weeks in a cast. Had surgery to put a plate in on Nov. 29th. Hopefully this will work. I've missed so much work that i've used up my sick time. I'm very frustrated! DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!

Related Reading: menopause | osteoporosis | osteopenia

Digestive Disorders: Common Misconceptions See Slideshow
Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 06

I've had acid reflux for my entire adult life (40+ years). My father had acid reflux all his life (82 years). I took this medication one morning and haven't had stomache problems since. It worked the first day! Must have something to do with B-12, iron, vitamin D absorption. The only side effect might be lethargy. 10 days into the initial 14 day treatment I was exhausted. Sleeping all day Saturday helped, but I'm still not as energetic as I was.

Related Reading: vitamin d

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 23

I took Prilosec/Prevacid for 7 years and found that when you try to wean off you'll experience acid rebound and it's 100x worse than regular reflux. It made me extremely sick. I also found out that I have osteoporosis after years of taking these pills and have since read articles linking these drugs to bone loss. If you have reflux, you may want to have a HIDA scan to check your gallbladder. About a year ago, I had my gallbladder removed and the reflux is almost gone & can be controlled with just Zantac.

Related Reading: prilosec | prevacid | osteoporosis

Comment from: DEC, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 21

I have GERD as well as a small sliding hiatus hernia. I have used Tagamet, Zantac, Pepcid, and now 40 mg Prilosec (the latter for the last several years). Each one of these medications has provided superior relief over the prior. Prilosec has been the very best to date and I essentially get complete relief from its use.

Related Reading: gerd | hernia | tagamet

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 25

About 3 years ago a Ear Nose and Throat doctor prescribed me this with a cost of $100.00 since I took the RX kind. Unfortunately I could only take it for a week because of the side effects, which were much worse than the actual acid reflex. Side effects included: horrible headaches, dizziness, a feeling of being out of it and constipation so bad it plugged me up for a week. Next I'll be trying Prevacid, I hope to experience better results.

Related Reading: dizziness | constipation

Comment from: Anna, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 27

I've been taking Prilosec for 7 years for heartburn and it works well.Unfortunately I just had a dexa scan and found out I have osteoporosis. My Dr.didn't tell me about this risk. I've read that calcium carbonate isn't absorbed with the drug but calcium citrate is so check this out and take vitamin D also. If you're at risk of Osteoporosis you may not want to take this. I am 58 years old, postmenopausal, small build and have a family history of osteoporosis. I now have to find another way to treat my heartburn and also a new Dr.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 09

omg,severe depression,hair loss,swollen fingers,inability to concentrate and hives on my face. my doctor too thought i was nuts but funny since stopping it they all went away. it took me 3 weeks to figure out. back on dexilant. more expensive but works great w/no side effects like that. just dry mouth

Related Reading: depression | hair loss | hives

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 19

Feb. 2008 I was diagnosed with GERD. Doc put me on 20 mg 2 times a day. My hair was falling out in handfuls. I cut back to one a day to keep my hair. With a special diet, I was able to keep things under control. Decided it is time for something different so now I am doing ENZYME THEROPY which has been a blessing.

Comment from: Henry, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 13

Am 70 year old male with GERDS. Have used 20mg Prilosec (daily) for 3 years. Relief has been good, but not complete. Occasionally, it is necessary to double the dosage. In last two years I've had four episodes of severe chest pain which have been very much like heart attacks. EKG's showed no heart disease. Events were diagnosed as GI-based due to GERDS. Last event has resulted in lingering mild nausea, low grade fever, lethergy. Could Prilosec relief over the past 3 years be masking possible gall bladder issues?

Related Reading: prilosec | chest pain | heart disease

Comment from: kiwi, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 19

This medication has greatly helped my acidic stomach issues but I am now concerned about some side effects that may be related to this med. I, too, am experiencing hair loss and lack of energy. I have also been diagnosed with anemia but with not apparent cause. Recently I have also experienced a generalized anxiety. I am wondering if these symptoms are related to the prilosec. I have also had major issues with frequent sinus infections and noticed that one of the side effects of prilosec is sinus issues, although this is rare. My thyroid checks out o.k. Anybody have any of these same experiences?

Related Reading: hair loss | anemia | anxiety

Comment from: adg, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 01

This has been a miracle drug for me, and yes I too gained weight. I gained in about 4-6 weeks 10 lbs. only because I could eat like a normal person again. No side effects. Have taken for 9 years. I take 1 pill everyother day 30 to 60 mins. before my breakfast, and it works GREAT.

Published: June 14

I have had severe heartburn and peptic ulcers for 25plus years. An ER doctor put me on Nexium which worked wonders but was switched to Prilosec by family doc for insurance reasons. Has worked VERY well for me. Haven't had one episode of heartburn or stomach pain since I took the first pill. Have had a few episodes of severe chest pain though - don't know if it's from this medicine or not but I never had it before.

Related Reading: heartburn | nexium

Comment from: other, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 17

been using for five years, working great, but after reading all these reviews no wonder I was always drained of energy.