Pristiq

Comment from: audrey, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 17

i truly thought that there was a magic pill out there that would cure my depression and anxiety. i have been on 9 different medications since 1998 most recently Pristiq. NONE of the medications i have been on have helped because there is no magic pill. i am NOT telling anyone to stop their medications but i am saying (for most people out there) you have to face what is depressing you-- figure out what it is and try to make peace with it. i did not deal with problems in my life and let them pile up and in 1998 it hit me like a ton of bricks and i ran to the doctor (which at the time i needed on medication to help) but nothing "fixed" ME. i am still depressed my anxiety is better but i have realized my depression is because of choices/decisions i have made in my life, some from 30yrs ago. i am writing this because if i can make just one person understand that there is no magic pill,i put all my hope in a pill and i was let down time and time again. please talk to someone or a support group to help you identify the source of your depression and anxiety and seek help with dealing with the problem. you might benefit from counseling AND medication. i have not. please take care of yourselves and God Bless you all. i wish you all the best.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety | pristiq

Comment from: MaryShowie, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

I hate to break it to you folks, but you could not feel better hours after taking this for the first time. I have tried every kind of antidepressant known to man. This has worked. No side-effects, it took some time - but IT WORKS. Don't listen to all the negative reviews. Everyone has a different chemistry so what is deemed "horrible" for one means in no way, shape, or form that this is the experience you will have. A definite plus is that Wyeth will pay 50% of your co-pay for the course of your treatment because it can get pretty pricey. I think there are a lot of drama queens/kings leaving feedback. It works - if you have tried everything else to no avail, give it a try - after all, what have you got to lose??

Comment from: nes85, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 27

Before starting Pristiq I had trouble concentrating, I was always tired and I was an emotional eater. Pristiq helped me within a week. I no longer emotionally eat; I have actually lost 25 pounds because I now have the energy to exercise and I am no longer obsessed with food. I feel like I am more positive and upbeat. The best part is that I can now focus and complete a task instead of my mind running 100 mph without solving anything. It has changed my life, I would recommend this to anyone that has low energy, trouble concentrating, or if you are an emotional eater.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 05

I started taking Pristiq about 2-1/2 months ago after trying many different antidepressents that didn't seem to do much for me. The first week was absolute torture. I had never felt so bad before, dizzy, nausous, sleepy and just totally out of it. I actually missed a couple days of work because of it. After I got through the first week the side effects got much better during the second week. By the 3rd week I was feeling very good. I am so glad I stuck out the side effects because I feel the best I've ever felt. No side effects at all, I am so happy now. Everyone I work with and family and friends have commented on the amazing change in me. This drug is awesome once you get past the side effects.

Comment from: deb, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 30

Started it 1 week ago. I felt better after the third day. I take it in the morning because it's a mood lifter. I love the time release factor. It helps me feel good all day and tired when it's time for bed. The doctor gave me a 2 week sample. I hope it's not to expensive, as I have no insurance. I have had no side effects and will continue taking this.

Comment from: Scott, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 23

I've had an amazing experience on Pristiq. Within just a couple days, a calm seemed to descend on every aspect of my life -- I had greater peace of mind and was more able to enjoy the small moments. It's now been 2.5 months, and it's still great. Anxiety and performance fear also greatly reduced. I had previously been on Lexapro (1 year) and Zoloft (off and on for 10+ years), and so far Pristiq has been far superior for me. Great results without feeling "drugged". Noticed a decrease in appetite, but not nausea. Other than that, no discernible side effects. In fact, sexual side effects seem less than Lexapro and Zoloft. Don't normally post to these things (never have, in fact), but wanted others to have the benefit of a positive experience. Thanks.

Related Reading: anxiety | lexapro | zoloft

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 03

I am writing this to warn others of the life threatening nature of this drug. My husband cannot write this himself, because he died last year due to an extreme low sodium level caused by taking this drug. In his final hours, he lost the ability to speak, started having severe seizures, and he died within 4 hours of arriving at the hospital. He had gone to his doctor twice in the preceding 2 weeks and reported his flu-like symptoms, but they just dismissed it as a common virus. Within 3 days of his last doctor visit, he was dead. PLEASE, if anyone experiences any of the side effects such as body aches, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, etc... do not wait...insist that the doctor check your sodium level immediately! By the way, in the total 3 months that my husband took this drug, it never did make much difference in regards to treating his depression either.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: annabella, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 07

What I want to stress is NOT that this is the best drug for depression out there, but rather that it is the best drug for depression FOR ME. I've been on Celexa, Lexapro, and Cymbalta before starting Pristiq, and none of them worked nearly, even half, as well as the Pristiq (plus, they had horrendous side effects). I had no idea before I began taking the Pristiq that the experience of taking an SSRI could even be this satisfying...it is seriously as if I am taking nothing, but I feel normalized after serious and prolonged depression. No side effects (okay, some teeth clenching and foot shaking, but that's nothing compared to the others I tried), works like an amazing charm. The moral of my testimonial is that you SHOULDN'T GIVE UP! Keep trying different antidepressants until you find the one that works FOR YOU! Everyone's brain chemistry is slightly different, so what works for me isn't necessarily the answer for you. But there is hope (I had nearly given up on the whole SSRI thing)! Keep trying!

Related Reading: stress | depression | celexa

Comment from: benniesmom, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 19

This medication is wonderful. I've taken everything from Wellbutrin,Zoloft,Remeron,Paxil. All of these helped somewhat. But nothing is a great as the Prestiq! It has completely taken away my depression. The only side effect I can complain about is moderate short term hot flashes. I went through menopause several years ago and I thought they were gone. But now I get them sometimes but not bad. I can live with them if I can feel this good. I feel "normal" now which is something I haven't felt in at least 30 yrs. I thought someone should say something good about this medication since it seems that the only people who post are the ones with a bad experience. I say it's great!

Related Reading: wellbutrin | zoloft | remeron

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been taking this medication for 3 weeks now and I have never felt better. I have used many different anti-depressants and Pristiq has changed my life. I feel like I'm in the clouds and I have nothing to worry about. I am usually stressed out and crying all the time, picking fights with my loved one but everything has been great for me. When I start to think negative, I start to think of all the postive things in my life. I LOVE IT!!!

Related Reading: pristiq

AMAZING!!!! I noticed a complete change in my well being and quality of life within a week of taking the drug!!!! God bless who ever made this...I feel like I'm human for the first time I can remember in so long!!

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 25

I had gone to my doctor last week explaining that the antidepressant medication that I had been taking on and off for 9 years was not taking care of the anxiety and fibromyalgia pain I had been experiencing. She introduced me to Pristiq and gave me several weeks of samples. I really had hoped it would work with the holidays coming and having kids at home, etc. I also feared changing my antidepressant at this time because I didn't want to be more messed up than I already was, especially over the holidays. The next morning I didn't take my normal celexa dose (40 mg) and I started the pristiq (50 mg). I could not believe the difference in how I felt and almost wondered if it was all in my head since I had felt so bad for so long because of chronic pain issues, migraines, daily headaches, TMJ jaw pain along with facial and head pain, fibromyalgia symptoms and chronic cervical and shoulder pain. I felt like doing something for the first time in a long time!! I felt like life was worth living again and that I do have alot to look forward to in life. I felt like I used to feel and I truly never thought I would "feel" that way again because of the 25 years of pain issues I had been experiencing. I have only taken pristiq for 5 days now, but I have only ever had a negative reaction to an antidepressant change in the past. Because this is a "brand" prescription I am hoping my insurance pays decent, otherwise I will what the pristiq has that the generic brand effexor XR does not have since effexor is also an SNRI. I am sorry to be so lengthly, but to feel so well is definitely something I want to share with others in depressive states with pain, depression, and anxiety issues. Good luck to you all!!

Related Reading: anxiety | fibromyalgia | celexa

Comment from: Depressednomore, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 12

I was diagnosed with chronic depression in 1978 and three years ago with bipolar disorder. I've taken more antipressants than I could possibly count, none of which have had more than a minimal effect until I started taking PRISTIQ! About 5 weeks ago my doctor took me off a combination of EffexorXR and Wellbutrin and prescribed Pristiq in their place. He continued my use of Lamictal. The change has been dramatic. I just woke up one morning suddenly realizing that I wasn't depressed and I remember thinking "Oh my God, is this was normal people feel like?!" It happened quite suddenly. I'm still feeling some of the confusion and disorientation associated with major depression however my doctor says that these symptoms should subside. I've also noticed a decrease in my need for Xanax and my insomnia has all but stopped. I only wish is that something like Pristiq had been available 40 years ago!

Related Reading: bipolar disorder | pristiq | lamictal

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: realsis, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I took this drug for almost two years. At first it really seemed to help..then I sank into a even deeper depression. I could hardly do every day things. I stopped caring for myself. I wouldn't shower for weeks,! I dropped out of life completely.I stopped caring for my house. All I would do is lay on the couch all day. I was out of it.I put on 30 pounds. I was barely existing. It was ruining my marriage. I just couldn't shake what ever it was.. I'm now withdrawing from that and on a different medication. Withdrawal from this medicine is ridiculous. You get brain zaps,body aches,headaches,and a general feeling of ill. This is the most difficult medication I've ever withdrawn from! Truly awful. I do not recommend this medication.at first it's great then it will take you deeper and darker then you have ever been before. I know everyone is different with medications, but please be careful with this one. It made it so I cared about nothing,litterly, not even myself or basic hygine. And I've never been that way before. I always showered daily but on this pill I didn't even care. I just wanted to lay on the couch mentally numb to everything.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: drugskeptic, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 20

Tried every drug & even considered shock treatments. Lived in my bed 8 yrs.since the loss of my 18 year old in a car accident. Dr. asked me to try this, said it was new and talked me into it. I have a long way to go but I can see a light at the end of my tunnel now. I pray it continues to help. Many times I had planned my suicide, written my obituary, etc. but I didn't want to put my family through any more pain. I am so thankful my Doctor heard things I wasn't even saying. Give it a try!!!

Related Reading: shock | suicide

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 14

Pristiq has calmed me down alot. I can think of other things besides bills and cleaning. It has made me able to slow down a little and enjoy my everyday life. I've only been on it for about 6 weeks now, but so far so good!

Related Reading: pristiq

Comment from: LifeIsGood, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 24

Use of this medication has changed my life. I have been taking Pristiq 100 mg. for 3 1/2 months now. I have used numerous antidepressants over the years. Never found one that I felt I could continue on due to side effects and lack of emotional feelings. I began to feel better within 1 - 2 weeks of taking it although t took about 2 months of taking this medication daily to eliminate some of the initial side effects such as inability to fall asleep and some crazy dreams. These side effects were minimal compared to benefits of this drug. First time I've ever felt I can continue taking a medication to keep myself from the continual ups and downs that depression and anxiety has caused in my life. My advice to anyone is to not give up taking it too soon. I am happier and have more energy than I've had in 30 years (since my teens), yet still have the ability to cry when appropriate and has not diminished sexual desire as so many other medications have done in the past.

Related Reading: antidepressants | anxiety | teens

Comment from: NYC girl, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 15

I love this medication. Before I was on prozac for 12 yrs and tried lexapro too. The prozac stopped working and the lexapro did nothing. This new drug not only helped my depression but it took away my food obsession. i used to eat nonstop and now i eat my meal and dont even think of food anymore. Instead of living to eat, im eating to live. I only had mild nasea in my first couple days, now no side effects other then loss of appetite. I sleep great and the depresssion is gone. I dont obsess over things like i did either. taking 50 mgs currently once per day.

Related Reading: prozac | lexapro

Comment from: suzQ, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 31

Am so happy to have found a drug that motivates and energizes me after taking so many that just zone me out! Have also lost the 8 pounds that I packed on when taking Lexapro. Depression is gone and I'm feeling better than ever after only 2 weeks. WOW!

Related Reading: lexapro | depression

Comment from: Bogey5, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 02

Just a little background. I suffered a severe neck injury( 3 surgeries) that rendered me disabled way before my time. Became depressed after I had to resign my job and give up golf and other activities that I loved. I tried several other meds but between the constant pain of my injury and the depression I could barely get out of bed. My Dr. put me on wellbutrin at first and it helped for awhile before I fell back into a rut. Then he suggested 100 mg prestiq ALONG with the wellbutrin and everything just clicked. I know that this may be an strange combo but I also know that it has worked wonders for me ! I have proof every morning as my first hour of the day is still brutal until the medication takes hold. I now have the energy and resilience to face each day in a positive manor. A little wordy here but if I can help just one person it's worth the extra typing. I now have a renewed and much needed energy level and feel light years better than I had before.

Related Reading: depression | wellbutrin

Comment from: Jo-Ann, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 30

I have tried over 7 or 8 of the top medications for depression and found the best results with the least amount of side effects with Pristiq. I am not bipolar. I have been diagnosed with depression for over 30 years. Prozac was my first medication but life circumstances worsened my depression. Only my faith kept me from ending my life. I pray for all of you reading this who can relate to the tremendous pain of depression. God bless and hope you keep trying these new meds that are out there.

Related Reading: pristiq | prozac

Comment from: Tessa, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 25

I have only been on this medicine for three days but noticed a change in how I felt after only two hours. I asked to change meds because the Cymbalta I was on made me want to sleep all the time. After over a month you would expect that to wear off some but, NO!!! I almost fell asleep behind the wheel twice, decided it was time for a change. The doctor prescribed Pristiq. After two hours on it I got a burst of energy and actually felt like doing something. The next day I felt very bubbly and happy for the first time in months and MOST important of all is my sex drive came back. Mind you I was not on the cymbalta for years either so that may also be a reason I had a change so soon, mabey not. Yes I have side efects. I have the ocasional dizzy spell and slight insomnia but, considering all the other side effects I have had to deal with, I am more than willing, and happy to soilder on and see if I continue to feel as good as I do now,even though it is so very early on in the treatment. My family deserves a happy person, not a mean, snappy grouch.

Related Reading: cymbalta | insomnia

Comment from: Lablady, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 28

I started off with Lexapro and it wasn't working so my Dr. changed me to Pristiq 100mg. and its worked wonders. I no longer cry over the smallest thing like I use to. I became depressed after having a few surgeries 6 months apart and I felt like I would never get better. I had no side effects at all. I would recommend this to anyone having depression.

Related Reading: lexapro

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 14

Switched from Lexapro and dropped 40 pounds. No reduced libido or other major side effects. Pristiq was a much better choice than Lexapro (for me) and I wish I had the option to try it sooner. Losing the weight made me feel better about myself (being overweight perpetuated the depression).

Comment from: Helene, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 25

Pristiq has been an absolute MIRACLE drug for me. I started taking it in September 2010 and within four weeks I was feeing 100% better. I have been on antidepressants for almost 20 years and nothing has worked this well for me. I had continued to be somewhat depressed regardess of what I was taking. I feel so good that I can't believe it's me that is talking and reacting so comfortably with people. I have had NO SIDE EFFECTS whatsoever. It is an amazing drug and I hope that it continues to work for me. I have been on it now for two months and could not be happier with how it is working on me.

Related Reading: antidepressants