Procrit

Comment from: darlene k, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 25

Calcium Pyruvate has helped me not only lose 30lbs, but has allowed me to keep it off. I also have much more energy whenever taking this supplement. I would highly recommend this; especially for women struggling with the "age 50" belly fat. I saw immediate improvements in my waist, thighs and buttocks.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

This has not only given me more energy but has helped aid me in weight loss. I'm hypoglycemic, & have problems managing my blood sugar when dieting, & I can tell a huge difference in my blood sugar with this product!! I recommend this product to everyone but DEFINITELY to people with blood sugar issues.

Comment from: JAG, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 28

Under medical supervision, I am on a weight loss program that includes taking calcium pyruvate. While I cannot attribute my success so far exclusively to this supplement, I can verify that combined with a sensible diet, I am losing weight and I do feel increased energy and a more positive mood. I have not noticed or experienced any secondary effects after six weeks of taking this supplement.

Comment from: Sophie, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 07

I started Calcium Pyruvate along with following the Zone Diet in mid-June. By mid-August I had lost 20lbs! I take two capsules after breakfast and again at lunch, so the main "ease of use" issue is just remembering to bring the capsules everywhere and of course remembering to take them! I have hypothyroidism and take medication daily for it. But once I started The Zone combined with the calcium pyruvate I noticed an immediate improvement in energy level and the weight just started melting off.

Related Reading: hypothyroidism

Comment from: Lucy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 08

I started the zone diet a week ago and also started taking calcium pyruvate. In one week I lost 6 pounds. I also exercise 3 times a week. My diet include only fruits, vegetables, and lean meat. I have noticed that my sweet cravings have decreasded. This is a good supplement if you eat right and exercise. I haven't had any side effects.

Comment from: sport, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: May 27

this drug is bad. If you are anemic PLEASE get a doctor that will honestly diagnose why you are anemic. If the reason you are told is because of cancer, PLEASE get a second opinion. i believe this drug does more harm to most than good. Sincerely, a greiving daughter.

Related Reading: cancer

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 06

I have lost 65 lbs using this in combination with reduced eating. I am a big believer that that pyruvate has helped.

Comment from: harleygirl, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 09

Presently on Pegasys and Ribavirin for Hep C. Treatment caused severe anemia. Was put on 40,000 units injections weekly. While my anemia is still present, it is stablized and not getting worse. I only hope the recent FDA concerns for Procrit don't hit me later in life. Unfortunately with medications, while it may help with one symptom/disease it may also be causing long term effects. One can only decide if the good outweighs the potential bad. Had I known of these concerns I would not have started with this drug.

Related Reading: pegasys | ribavirin | anemia

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 29

Extremely fearful of taking the medication based on sign effects; however, this should not be a concern unless your red blood cell count is at 12 (Procrit is used to keep your count at 10 and end the use at 12). I am on my 6th week of 20,000 units per week and my quality of life has returned to being active and full of energy. No sign effects other then improvement of quality of life.

Related Reading: procrit

Comment from: ann, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 18

I found out this was a huge help in loosing weight''''

Comment from: croux, 65-74 Female Published: December 21

I have not taken this drug, but I think that anyone taking it or thinking about it, should read the book,"Blood Feud", by Kathleen Sharp. She tells of its development and how Johnson and Johnson committed fraud, and gave massive incentives to doctors to use it; pushed it in dangerous doses;promoted it for unlicensed, illegal uses;defrauded Medicare of millions of dollars; and used phoney studies to promote it. The dose of 40,000, according to the book, is extremely dangerous. Additionally, when a J&J rep brought problems to the attention of management, he was systematically harassed and finally fired.

Comment from: Nines map, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 07

I take 40,000 units every 3 / 4 weeks for my anemia for the past 3 yrs. The side effect I get is bad headaches which lasts about 2/3 days. The level of my hemoglobin stays between 9.6 to 10. I need to continue taking this medication to help stimulate my red blood cells as my bone marrow does not produce enough oxygen.

Related Reading: anemia | red blood cells

Comment from: Willidon, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 12

I first started taking calcium pyruvate when I started on the hcg diet. I have continued it and will do so for another month or so. I can actually see the results with the fat shifting in my thighs and abdomen. It's important to exercise while taking this supplement. You'll see faster results. I have not experienced any adverse effects.

Comment from: webster, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 06

I started taking it 3 days ago. I know its early but, I can tell the difference in energy. My teen age son who is overweight is also taking it,was really excited that he felt very energized through the day. And I could tell his appetite was not the same. I will review again in a couple of months. But so far, not even a week in and we can tell its making a positive change for us. Not negative side affects.

Comment from: paulito, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I suffer from both Pernicious Anemia for which I give myself Vitamin B-12 injections every month and that's under control. I also suffer from "regular" anemia that was discovered when I broke my pelvis. I have been taking Procrit in the Dr.'s office whenever my crit goes below 12. It will be fine for a month and the next time I go, it's suddenly 10. I feel absolutely no different after the shots and they've been giving me hefty doses. After being delayed for 2 hrs. in the office today, my BP was so high, they wouldn't give it to me. The crit level was 11.9. I told them I'd be back in two weeks, not one. I really am getting disgusted as it doesn't seem to be making any change in the way I feel--tired all the time. But if you stop taking it, what happens then?

Related Reading: pernicious anemia | procrit

Comment from: April, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 10

I am appalled at side effects, which I was not informed about. I have been given Procrit for MDS and I had no idea what this drug could do to ones brain and body.

Comment from: Sad in Texas, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: June 10

My dad was given high procrit doses for MDS from a quack doctor in Youngstown, Ohio Cancer Center. He suddenly developed rapid growing lung and liver tumors. Three days after his death we read the FDA article that says it can cause tumor growth. My dad might be alive if he didn't take this drug. He also had circulation problems in his foot and almost lost it, probably from this. DON'T USE PROCRIT!

Related Reading: procrit | cancer | liver

Comment from: Ricardo, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 01

I have esential thrombocythemia and myelofibrosis. My red blod cell count falls and I get procrit shots to bring it back. I am 80 years old.

Comment from: Robert, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

I was diagnosed with MDS nearly 4 years ago after two bone marrow biopsies. Have been taking Procrit for 1 1/2 years starting at 10,000 units per week but now on 40,000 because as the bone marrow continues to fail, Procrit has to be increased. It keeps my hemoglobin levels between 9-10 so quality of life is good. I have experienced no side effects so am satisfied; just wish dosage amounts would last longer in keeping hemoglobin levels up but have to realize it's not the Procrit that's failing, it's my bone marrow.

Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More See Slideshow
Comment from: Low-Energy Girl, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 14

I have anemia - cause unknown. Didn't notice the positive effect of Procit until I stopped after 5 weeks. Now I don't know whether to continue or not. Hemoglobin up 1/2 to 1 point,barely 10 instead of 14.

Related Reading: anemia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 29

goal was to lose 20 lps, was able to lose 30 using calcium pyruvate

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: November 22

if The kidney doctor attempts to inject over 15000 in my arm every other week I get migraine headaches - My blood count stays between 9 and 9.5

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 28

My Mom has been on this drug for almost one year. I think it has affected her thinking and the Doctors are blaming Dementia. She is 86, this could be true but she never had these symptoms before. Has anyone else seen this?

Related Reading: dementia

Comment from: dsilver, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 19

Treating anemia associated with MDS. Began during chemo, and have continued for one year. Procrit & Aranesp (after chemo) restored life-saving levels of Hemoglobin & RBC. Provided more energy & comfortable breathing. Initial side effects (confusion, memory issues) have subsided. Researched any alternatives but these two treatments seem to be the only options to boost blood levels and minimize transfusions....please post if you've discovered other proven treatments...

Related Reading: procrit | aranesp

Comment from: sacremot, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 10

Am 85. Have been taking Procrit for 3 months after bone marrow biopsy was negative for ca. Chronic anemia, fatigue. Cause unknown! "Age related." Take 40K mg weekly with low blood test results. Helps. Hemogl remains low (8.2-9.1). Can't get straight answer. Depressing.

Related Reading: fatigue