Prolastin

Comment from: kauaimama, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 16

I have been receiving weekly infusions since 1999 and my PFTs have remained stable with the last one showing a slightly improved condition. Anyone with Alpha 1 should be on this on another proteinese inhibitor. It slows the progression and not on it, the deterioration happens rapidly.

Comment from: Patricia, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 14

I have been on Prolastin for nearly 20 years. I have found that my PFT's have declined but only slightly. I know this medicine is not a cure, but for me it has had great benefits. I work full time and do not have to use oxygen via cannula at this point in my life.

Related Reading: prolastin

Comment from: nobucks, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 26

I was diagnosed in 1991 with A1AD and started weekly infusions May of 1992. This augmentation therapy has been a life saver for me. When diagnosed I was told that the disease had progressed so rapidly that I had approximately four years to live. Well, I’m still here and my PFT’s have dropped somewhat, but nothing like they were prior to infusions. Thank God I had a knowledgeable physician.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 24

Was started on this treatment late in the formation of symptoms. Dr. first had me take it 1 time per month and then every 2 weeks. As of the last month I have gone to once a week and am hoping for a much better control.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 05

It has considerably slowed lung deterioration due to alpha-1, but does require a weekly (biweekly for some patients) infusion by a medical professional. It is also very expensive and so is feasible only for insured patients.

Comment from: tattoocindy, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

In have emphysema and I am 50. Theophelline gives me the shakes so I have to take Xanax and clonopin.Anyone use a different med? I talk 200mg 3 times a day and 10mg of steroids,once during the am and then at bed. Haven't gained a pound,cannot eat too muck because it depresses my diaphragm.

Related Reading: emphysema | xanax

Comment from: mary kroening, 75 or over (Patient) Published: May 31

I havenever taken it yet