Prometrium

Comment from: eseismydog, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 25

I am 49 years old and have not had a period for about three years. My doctor did some blood work and said I have started menopause. I was feeling horrible. I had hot flashes, anxiety, heart pounding, couldn't sleep, and was miserable. He put me on prometrium, 200 mg. daily to be taken before bed. This medication has changed my life. I feel normal again.

Related Reading: menopause | hot flashes | anxiety

Comment from: laurielkiss, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 51 yrs. old and have been taking 100mg prometrium along with 1mg estradiol every night for approx. 3 yrs. now. I was having extreme hot flashes and night sweats along with prolonged periods and terrible mood swings. I have not had any problems taking these medications. My hot flashes and night sweats are gone and my husband is very happy that my mood swings are also gone. You might say these medications saved my marriage. :-)

Related Reading: prometrium | estradiol | night sweats

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 26

I am 47 years old and for the past 7 years I have been on hormone replacement therapy for early menopause.I have had hot flashes, extreme mood swings and irritability, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, fatigue, etc. I have been on other treatments, patches, pills,and even though they relieved all of my symptoms in a short amount of time, I have had superficial blood clots in my legs and depression. My Dr. recommended Prometrium 100 mg a day (she said it was a more natural version) along with 1 mg of Estradiol. I have to admit I was hesitant to take it but all of my symptoms were relieved and I have had no side effects. I can only speak of my own experience, and it gave me my quality of life back!! I have been on it for a year now and will continue as long as my Dr. recommends. I don't ever want to feel that way again!

Related Reading: fatigue | blood clots | depression

Comment from: cindy, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 14

I'm 58 and have been taking Prometrium for 6 years. Not only did it end the misery of my extended menopause, it also helped slow down my aging process. Since it's a bio-identical hormone, I'm hoping my doctor will consent to letting me continue to take it.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 06

I started taking this drug - 100mg after hormone saliva testing showed I had VERY LOW progesterone. I was experiencing horrible anxiety to the point that I was unable to function. It truly was the worst time of my life. I feel like this drug saved me. Prometrium works better for me than compounded oral progesterone. I do take at bedtime and have had no bothersome side effects. Works so well for my anxiety.

Comment from: dsm, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

I too was very dizzy & very tired... Due to high risk m/c rate my doc has me taking this for the first 14 weeks of pregnancy to ensure enough hormones are there for the baby to go full term. That is our hope at least! Although, reading the label "do not take if pregnant or trying to become pregnant" make me really nervous, the Dr. assured me it was ok... I sure hope. haha!

Related Reading: pregnancy

Comment from: TnMama, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 05

After 2 miscarriages we talked to my doctor and he checked my hormone levels. My progesterone was extremely low. I started this medicine once a night right after ovulation... We became pregnant with our son right away. I stayed on it until 10 weeks and my pregnancy went smoothly! I will return to the medicine for my second child too!

Comment from: speckje7, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 29

I have been taking prometrium now for 6 weeks to sustain my pregnancy. so far i have been drowsy and a little nausious but other than that i am through my first trimester, which has never been able to happen before. after doing research and checking with my doctor, this medication is safe to use when pregnant to get through your first trimester if you have a history of misscarriages.

Comment from: ljd, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 16

I started this medication when i found out i was pregnant due to misscarages with lots of prayers and this medication i'm going into 16 weeks. I really never had side effects,I,ve been tired but was it do to the medication or just being pregnant? I feel great and my baby is doing well.

Comment from: mybabies1965, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 03

I love this medication,I am 43 and have had heavy cycles and this had made my body more normal,I had severe anemia and this has saved me,also I would like to keep my cycle around for a while and it makes me feel like I am twenty again,it increased sex drive and I was not really concerned with that and it felt really weird was normal before also for some reason my skin seemed healthier(face)more youthful and I noticed my hair was more managable too not sure why all this occurred,only felt dizzy first few days I took it,no problems with it ,hope I can stay on it.

Related Reading: anemia

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 50 years old and was put on 100mg. of Prometrium. I was originally placed on this medication for terrible migraines and irregular, heavy periods. Almost immediately my migraines lifted and my cycles are perfectly regular. Success!

Related Reading: prometrium

Comment from: kg, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 16

I have been prescribed this med. for menopausal symptoms. I am 55 and on the Vivelle Dot Patch (3.5 dose)I still have my uterus, so my Dr. has also prescribed Prometrium 100 mg. However, she only has me take it for 10 days every THREE months. I asked her about this because it seemed unusual based on the dosage I've heard other women prescribed. She said taking it every month is 'old school' and taking it for 10 days every three months is the 'new way'. I am just curious if anyone else has been prescribed this med. in this way. I am on my third dosage (in 9 mos.). and when I do take the med. I don't have any spotting but I don't feel all that great either. The dr. said to keep an eye on things and if I start to spot to let her know!

Comment from: Bluebell, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 30

I have been taking this drug for a little over 3 years to relieve menopausal symthoms. Within the last 3-6 months I have experienced moderate to severe foot pain muscle aches,upset stomach and vision problems along with dizziness and fatique during the day even after taking it at night. After renewing my prescription and reading the insert on the side effects realized this drug could be the culprit to all my problems. I decided 10 days ago to go off of it and it's incredible how much better I feel off of it. My foot pain went away I'm more alert and my vision is improving! This drug took away my hot flashes and night sweats but overall I would say it's not worth taking-- the side effects for me were too great, now I'm ready to try something more natural and my sympthoms are not as great as they were at the start of taking it. I'm done.

Related Reading: foot pain | dizziness | hot flashes

Comment from: charsosweet, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 25

44 yrs old w/ type 1 diabetes /Total hysterectomy in 2000/ started on viville dot until 3 weeks ago / switched to oral estrogen and 200mg oral prometrium / hot flashes gone / vaginal dryness gone/ AND have lost 11 lbs around my middle/ was referred to gyno for prometrium by two doctors and my personal trainer after a year of heavy training (weights/cardio) + dieting with no weight loss. I didn't beleive this would work especially when I saw the side effects--one of which is gain weight. However, it has worked tho I am still in training watch my diet very closely-/ no bad side effects / pure brilliant!

Comment from: JoyRenee228, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 16

Due to secondary infertility issues (PCOS) which can cause a woman to miscarry due to low progesterone this medication has been a life-saver (literally). I have had two successful pregnancies because of this medication and one loss due to not having it (sonogram showed embryo without a heartbeat). My progesterone was dropping this current pregnancy and I got the RX very quick. Sonogram this time showed a beautiful beating heart and a jelly bean baby. I will be taking it until week 12 of this pregnancy.

Related Reading: infertility | pregnancy

Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain? See Slideshow
Comment from: McDemo, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 29

I have been taking prometrium for over a year because I had an endometrial ablation to stop heaving bleeding during perimenopause. After the ablation I was still having a period, so since taking prometrium I don't have one but every six months and it is really short and light. I take it at bedtime so I don't know if I would be dizzy or not. I have had no side effects from it as far as I can tell.

Related Reading: prometrium | perimenopause

Comment from: hwiley, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 23

I was trying to get pregnant back in january 2008. I found out I was not ovulating so my doc put me on this. 2 months later I was pregnant with my little girl. So it worked wonders! Now that I had her I am now 5 months postpartum and not ovulating again. My doc has prescribed it again. I am sure it will get me back to normal!

Comment from: Ranae D, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 16

I am taking this drug along with Estradiol, (estrogen), to help with menopausal symptoms, severe hot flashes in particular. I was alarmed at how I felt different- moody, irritable, anxious. It did help with the hot flashes, but I decided they were better than the way I felt on this drug!!

Related Reading: estradiol | hot flashes

Comment from: stephanier, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 17

I am 26 years old and began taking 100MG of prometrium due to irregular bleeding, and horrible mood swings. I have been taking the medication for 3 months. I cannot express the amazing effects this has done for me. Bleeding has stopped and now is only once a month for 3 days. mood swings are gone!!!! I have had psoriasis for 13 years, and since taking the prometrium, all of my psoriasis and its effects are gone. I am forever greatful to my doc for prescribing this miracle for me. I also take this medication everynight before bed.

Related Reading: psoriasis

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 14

I started spotting when I was 8 wks pregnant. I will be 13 weeks on saturday! My OB put me on this because my Progesterone levels were extremely low for me being pregnant. Medicaid would not pay for the vaginal suppositories so I have to take the pill form. I am on 200 mg 3x a day. I have noticed more tiredness and dizziness..When I have to go somewhere I skip that dose and continue on my schedule! So far after taking this med I have not spotted at all, so I don't mind the side effects b/c I am high risk with diabetes and PCOS so this may be the only pregnancy I get to finish!

Related Reading: dizziness | diabetes | pregnancy

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 07

I started using Prometrium about 5 years ago to help with abnormal menstrual bleeding. I would have periods lasting for more than a week - sometimes on and off for a month at a time. When I was first given Prometrium I took 200mg once a day (night time) for 10 days and it worked great. My gynecologist suggested after about 4 years of success for me to stop taking the medication to see it my old symptoms would return. After 4 months of light/no period it started again. In order for me to get back onto Prometrium I had to have a cervical ultra sound, series of blood tests and a biopsy. All the while I had my period - constant - for almost 5 months! After all results came back "normal" I was reissued a prescription for 100 mg (1/2 the amount) for 7 days (less time than original). This did not work, so I had to take 200 mg for 7 more days. The bleeding finally stopped. After discussing the problem with my Dr's office, my prescription is almost back to my original doseage - 200mg for 7 days.. so far so good. Yes, when I take Prometrium I am very tired, wake up tired and the pill sometimes gives me acid reflux. Yes, I've gained weight - but to me, not having wacky periods is worth it.

Related Reading: prometrium

Comment from: T, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 17

I am pregnant, my MD prescribed this drug for 30 days. But I have to take it vaginally. I'm really scared because of the warning label for pregnant women. Has anyone heard of this? I've had 1 miscarriage.

Related Reading: miscarriage

Comment from: icethistle, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 24

I took this medication for several months to regulate my period. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant so we needed to be able to track my cycle, and this definitely worked. I didn't notice any side effects, although I only took one 100mg dosage per day for 15 days of my cycle, so it was basically two weeks on, two weeks off. Maybe some of the bad effects that others are experiencing are due to higher doses and/or taking the medicine more often. I am finally pregnant and, because my last one was a miscarriage, my doctor has decided to keep me on Prometrium for the first 12 weeks in order to prevent another miscarriage. He has also recommended baby aspirin for that same reason. So far, so good!

Related Reading: miscarriage | prometrium | aspirin

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 03

I started taking prometrium two months ago to help with chronic daily headaches. I had been having headaches for two years with frequency increasing to become almost daily. My original neurologist tried to treat these headaches (which seemed to initially be menstrually-related) with birth control pills and an estrogen pill in the "off week". This only made things worse. I luckily found a new neurologist who recognized that progesterone may be beneficial to me- to balance out the estrogen. It turns out that estrogen was somewhat toxic to me, and that if I take a daily dose of progesterone I feel almost completely better. This effect was absolutely unbelievable. I literally felt like a new person within two days of taking 100mg of prometrium nightly. I am currently taking it for 3-weeks and then taking a 1 week break for my period. I cannot say enough about this approach for treating headaches. I was repeatedly frustrated by my previous neurologist's inability to look beyond the "estrogen replacement" theory of treating menstrual migraines. Granted, this is pretty much the only thing that is in the literature (I'm in the medical field, so I have looked into this extensively). However, I wonder if this progesterone option couldn't help more women suffering from menstrual migraines. I hope that more providers begin to recognize the usefulness of progesterone as an alternative to estrogen for treating women's headaches.

Related Reading: prometrium

Comment from: Beth, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 13

I am 41 and I have been taking this medication now for 6 months and it has changed my life! I had a total hysterectomy at the age of 32 and have been on a hormone patch ever since. I was experiencing bad night sweats, mood swings and anxiety. This little pill has made me feel like a new person! the only draw back is that I did gain weight.

Related Reading: night sweats | anxiety

QUESTION

What is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)? See Answer

Pharmacy Editor: Eni Williams, Pharm.D., Ph.D.