Propecia

Comment from: jlcDE, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 10

Started having bald spots when I was 23.Rogaine didnt do anything for me.I started taking Propecia,and within six months I started seeing results.Seven years later,I have the same amount of hair,but my hairline is receding slowly at the temples.I would recommend this drug.The drawbacks are the high cost and a slower sex drive.

Related Reading: propecia

Comment from: Johnny, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 05

I'm a 35yo healthy athletic Asian male, I've had NO side effects. I've been on it for 3.5 years, it seemed take about 6 months to notice any difference. I don't think I've gained much new hair, but its certainly stopped the losses. Generic is now available for about $180/100pills through Costco. I've witnessed absolutely NO LOSS of sexual appetite or libido. I'm still fired up! My theory is that some married men might use the "loss of sexual interest" potential side effect as an excuse not to have sex with their wives, most of whom have long since lost their attractiveness(ie. got fat, cut their hair too short, stopped using make up, stopped wearing lingerie) since the wedding day. Most middle aged couples stop caring what they look like, hence lack of sexual energy. Sorry, I know the truth hurts.

Comment from: Formeruser, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 25

Effective for stopping my hair loss with some regrowth. Took for almost 20 years. Noticed some diminished sexual drive after a few years but not enough to be a problem. Plus I was getting older and thought that could be a factor. Then one day I was mortified to find I could not maintain an erection or orgasm during intercourse with an exciting and much younger girlfriend. I stopped taking the drug and in about 60 days the situation had greatly improved so that I have a sex life again. I am hoping it will continue to get better. I lost the hair I had gained but since it coincided with regaining strong erections I was happy to watch it go. None of the women in my life ever cared how much hair I had. It was my own vanity. If you are taking this and notice a decrease in your libido or erections, even if it is not yet a problem, as you get older there may come a time when it makes a difference. You don't want to find out then that permanent damage has been done. Don't take this. There are plenty of attractive women who don't care about hair loss. Work on your confidence and personality instead.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Maneman, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 09

I have been taking finasteride for over 10 years now, I started with Propecia, now I split Proscar in 5 pieces and take the recommended 1mg a day. Although I dont have as much hair as in my 20s, Finasteride has without a doubt slowed down the balding process, I know I am thinning, but slowly, my brother who is 4 years older and never took this drug is almos completely bald. The only "side effects" I have experienced are, not a loss of sex drive but a decrease of amount of semen ejaculated, this by no means made me "sterile", as a matter of fact, in 2001 I got my wife pregnant and have now a normal male child, and I say normal since I was a little worried about somehow affecting the pregnancy by this medication since the warnings are so clear with pregnant women to stay away from this medication etc. Another side effect was the loss of hair on my back and chest, not completely but at least 50%, not too many people know I take Finasteride for my head hair yet they noticed my loss of hair around the chest, used to be very hairy around the chest so its obvious, last but not least my nipples appeared to have swollen a bit as well. All of these effects are not bad for me, the good outweighs the bad. Good luck, give this drug a try, it works, the sooner taken the better the results. I almost forgot, if you are being screened for prostate enlargement, the normal "bendover" check will be innacurate since this drug in 5mg form is given to reduce the enlargement of the prostate, which as a side note is how they noticed the "side effect" of hair regrowth back in the day. A more accurate PSA screening is recommended where they can compensate the level results with the amount of Finasteride taken.

Related Reading: proscar | pregnancy

Comment from: upset, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: May 12

I have taken propecia for over 10 years. I then found out propecia is finestaride. So I started saving money by buying finestaride instead. Anyway, they work great for the hair, but after noticing my ED and other sexual related issues,I started to look into my medications,and there it was "POW" All of my sexual side effects are directly related to "PROPECIA". Please ,if you are taking this medication,"STOP" It has long term and possibly life consequences that will destroy your sex life.

Related Reading: propecia

Comment from: kmarie690, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 23

My son takes this medication since he started losing his hair at 19. Working pretty well so far. Believe his hair has stopped thinning. Anyway, I have found the generic for about $129 for a 6 month supply. I researched the generic and says it has the same chemical makeup and seems to be working for my son.

Comment from: Greg, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 09

This is strangly one of the most largely undiscovered treatment for hair loss. So many men waste their time with rogaine or other bs products and never try the real thing. Downside is cost, but then again its definitly worth it.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: DH, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 20

I was 25 when I started the medicine -- while certainly I didn't regrow a full head of hair, a layer enough to cover all empty areas grew back. Unfortunately, I am one that had serious ED as a side effect. I just stopped taking and am hoping I am not one of the permanent ED cases of long-term Propecia users.

Related Reading: propecia

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 21

I'm 40 yr. old male who has now taken this medication for a year. My Doc had taken a pic of my scalp upon the on set of the written script. and an other one yr. later. the result is approx. 30% more hair in the effected area. I've been told this will continue to improve over time? To what extent. I'm hoping for a 60-80% improvement over a two year period. The only major draw back to this medication is the price....approx. $75 per month...

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 31 year old male that has been taking this medication for the past three years. Once my hair started thinning when I was 28 years old, I started Propecia. I have had great results with the medication. Another great thing about it is I work out alot and use supplements. It blocks DHT and keeps the prostate from enlargeing. The only down side to the medication is that it is very expensive and most insurance will not cover it.

Related Reading: dht

Comment from: GrayLeft, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 15

I've taken this drug for 20+ years. It stopped the onslaught of hair loss pretty quickly for me but I never regrew what I already lost. HOWEVER, my libido is practially non-existent and the amount of semen I now produce is down to a mere dribble. I'm concerned these may be permanent but I'm also fearful that if I stop taking it, I'll be bald in no time.

Comment from: Tom57, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I am taking this since last 4 years.It's a wonder drug and it stopped hair loss and also to have good thick hair. Wish I should have started early. I had very little loss of libido and think it's good for me to concentrate on other activity. No erection problem so far but yes reduced morning wood. I am happy with the results.I bought propecia here http://health-care24h.com/catalog/Hair_Loss/Propecia.htm Maybe my review helpes someone too.

Related Reading: propecia

Comment from: SS, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 08

Taking it for three months now Hair Loss stopped about 90%. Yes there are some side effects. Morning wood is story of the past. But can get erections not as quick as before but can get easily. Ma y be little loss of libido. One thing I noticed is amount of ejaculation has gone down rapidly. My doctor said it will be back to normal If I leave it for 3 months. Fingers Crossed for that. Hopefully it helps.

Related Reading: hair loss

Comment from: Dave, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 14

I've been using Propecia for about 10 years and it seems to be working very well. However, I'm still losing hair in the crown area but at a very slow rate. Overall, I'm very happy with Propecia. I wish I could find it a little cheaper. It's expensive!

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 01

40 yo and I've been on it for exactly a year. Very difficult to tell if I have re-grown hair, but it seems quite clear that the thinning has stopped. It is expensive, but worth the cost to avoid going bald. No noticeable decrease in sex drive here.

Comment from: Nick A., 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 13

I heard on NBC news tonight (12 July 2012) that a number of men have experienced ED during and long after taking this medication: I have had the same experience, and I thought it was merely my age or something undetermined. It never occurred to me that my extended ED might have been caused by Propecia. I stopped taking it a long time ago now, but I continue to have significant problems with ED.

QUESTION

It is normal to lose 100-150 hairs per day. See Answer
Comment from: YoungSir, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 07

I am in my mid twenties and began taking propecia for hair loss; it killed my sex drive and made it impossible for me to get an erection. My doctor didn't inform me these side effects could be permanent; luckily I discontinued the drug before it was too late. My hair is not worth losing my sexual desire and ability for.

Related Reading: propecia | hair loss

Comment from: jevz, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

I take Finasteride 5mg daily for BPH. Was suprised to find that it supposedly treats hair loss. I'm losing my hair, but I'm also 65 years young. Have noticed decrease in semen but no hair gain that I can see. I've noticed other reviewers state that the drug is expensive. I get the 5mg tablets for $10.50 for a 90 day supply through my insurance companies mail order pharmacy. So guys, check that out! I've been on Finasteride for a couple years now. From what I read, I should have a full head of hair, but no such luck.

Comment from: budster626, Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 27

I've have taking propecia for about 8 or 9 years.Both my younger brothers are bald but I still have my hair and I thank they are a little jealous.I take a pill every other day to cut down on the cost.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been on Propecia about 7 years and I think it really works. My hair actually got a little thicker and I don't have the receding hair line that my older and younger brothers have. It sure is expensive though. I'm thinking about skipping a pill now and then to reduce my costs.

Related Reading: propecia

Comment from: Not Bald, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 28

I have been using Propecia for about 12 years. My little brother and dad do not. They are bald and I am not. My hair still seems to fall out some. Overall I am very happy.

Comment from: James, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 16

have taken for 10 years-has slowed the loss of hair dramatically.

Comment from: wtx, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 28

This drug helped really well with my hair loss. Within 2 months I noticed a signifigant increase in the thickness of my hair. But I developed the most HORRIBLE acne on my face. I had the skin of a 13 year old hormonal boy. After stopping the drug within 2 weeks my skin was completely clear. Also, I had difficulties with maintaining an erection which also resolved after discontinuing the use of Propecia.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: Blurdawg, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I use this drug with rogaine to maximize the effect. I also skip the pill every other day to save on the cost. It's very expensive; however, I started using this after a hair transplant and it's worth the investment. After a hair transplant, it's good. I don't know about before because the hair follicles may already be dead. You can't grow leaves on a dead tree.

Comment from: Bob, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 04

The reviews posted within this consumer reporting are bogus. If you look closely at the name, age, GENDER of the patients posting, you will see that they are all Female... That being an obvious contraindication due to the drug being only safe for men. BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU READ, THE PEOPLE WITH $$$ DO A LOT FROM THEIR INTERESTS!... I have not begun the regimen of Propecia because I am still skeptical of its drawbacks.