Proscar

Comment from: themission, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 29

I have used Proscar for 15 years now. It has been quite effective in initially lowering and then keeping PSA levels less than 3. It has mostly eliminated day and night frequency of urination. Other factors such as diuretics sometines interfere with this action.

Related Reading: proscar | diuretics

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 05

My use of finisteride resulted in less (but not total elimination) of urgency of urination within several weeks of start of use a few years ago. Dribbling after urination was eliminated for years until recently. My PSA test results have remained at the same low level (0.2) throughout. There was no reduction in sex drive or ability to achieve erections. There is a noticable reduction in amount of semen at orgasm. No other side effects have been noted. After several years of use, some symptoms are returning, notably starting and stopping of urination, bladder not fully emptying, and some dribbling after urination. I feel I have to push urine out to more completly empty my bladder than in earlier use of the drug. I am 69 years old.

Comment from: Happy2P, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 13

It has done what it was expected to do with the side effect of a reduced libido. A good trade off since the alternative was not being able to urinate. It helped in reducing my PSA from 13.3 to less than 1.0 in addition to reducing the size of my prostate. I had a prostate biopsy completed (no picnic), however, that did determine that I had BPH not prostate cancer.

Related Reading: prostate cancer

Comment from: BillyBaloo, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 31

I took this drug for about two years and then my breast began to enlarge slightly. After continuing to take the drug my left breast became really sore to lay on or rub against anything. I stopped taking the drug when my GP told me it was probably causing the condition. I went to my urologist and he told me there was nothing he could do. My breast is larger and more tender now after 6 months off of the drug. Is there a treatment?

Comment from: rfwilliams79, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 09

Proscar has cause me to develop tender nipples and enlargement of my breast. My doctor took me off this medication since it was causing me more harm than good. I was on that drug for many years.It is a bad drug and should be taken off the market.

Comment from: Jok 38, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 31

Taking medication for over one year. Urinate every 2 hrs. Psa 2. Dr. said when you take Proscar you must double the PSA# so I guess my real PSA is 4. Had 2 biopsies, negative. Decreased Libido(sex urge). I wonder if there is something better than Proscar

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 20

Saw improvement in urinary symptoms within 3 months: better stream, better able to hold urine upon getting urge to urinate, less dribbling.

Comment from: T. Charles, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 06

I'm 53 and was prescribed Proscar to reduce my prostate. I was on this drug for 6 months when I realized a little reduction in prostate and an extraordinary reduction in sex drive, inability to maintain an erection, reduced semen, shrinking penis and enlarged, tender breasts. Fun times. . .NOT! I quit in the hopes of regaining my manhood. All my doctor said was I would grow hair as a side effect. Oops, left out a little information Doc.

Comment from: Vic, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 17

I was given a prescription for this drug by a urologist for an enlarged prostate. I had some problems getting up multiple times at night, like 10 or 12, to empty my bladder. Before taking the drug I began looking closely at what was in the food I was eating. Apple sauce for example, the chucky kind has lemon juice in it. I stopped eating apple sauce. I suspected that my bladder was as much or more at fault than my prostate. I cut back on ice cream, and some fruits that I knew irritated my urinary system. Never did take the proscar and I am having a better stream,and better sleep without the urgency I used to feel while getting up two times a night.I added Prostate Revive which is helping to calm the prostate too. Only suggestion I have is look at the contents of what you are eating or drinking and drop those things you know are causing you harm.

Related Reading: enlarged prostate | proscar

Comment from: Etienne, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 25

I am 56 years old. I have had similar experiences with Proscar; PSA dropped from high 4 to high 1. Prostate smaller. However, got tender nipples and swollen breast. The most ego smashing was the lost of morning erections; minimum semen discharge; and lack of sex desire. My doctor and I changed to Alfuzosin (uroxatral); erections are back and sex desire increased. But my latest PSA is now 8.0 but the doctor's finger test says prostate is not swallon. Biopsy is my next step to determine what is happening.

Related Reading: proscar | uroxatral

Comment from: PG, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 21

Experienced scary side effects of swollen chest and tremors that felt like excessive heart palpitations. Brought to local ER, no heart or lung problems, just horrible side effects of the med. A urologist denied this but I know how my body reacted and it was extremely unpleasant. Going off it to try something else.

Related Reading: tremors | palpitations

Comment from: a.del, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 23

miricle drug.if i stop taking,i stop peeing. started working in less than 2 weeks.i may not be horney all the time,but when opportunity knocks,i can still open the door.

Comment from: mlh, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 30

What sexual desire I had left at age 75 is gone. Believe it or not, I believe that my penis is shrinking; really!

Comment from: NeedHelp, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I initially started taking Proscar for enlarged prostate after about 2 years, my doctor added Flomax. I hate these drugs even though they work pretty well for the prostate condition, however the treatment is worse than the cure. I can't get an erection, no semen, enlarged sensitive breasts, less of an appetite for sex.

Related Reading: enlarged prostate | flomax

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 17

my psa was 19 when i started taking finasteride a my flow was very restricted. within two months psa is 4. i also have a very good flow.

Comment from: Harry, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been taking Proscar for two months and cannot have an erection. In addition, my left testicle swelled up and was very sore to touch. I have stopped taking the medication. The side effects are too severe.

Comment from: shooter357, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 04

After many years of taking proscar 5 mg. daily, I found that I became impotent.My physcian told me that that is a side effect for some men!

Related Reading: proscar

Comment from: dfreitasnm@aol,com, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 01

I devloped Arm tremor amd shaking from my limbs. I see this is one of the side effects. I recently saw a Neurologist who diagnosed me with Parksons. Its not Parksons at all, its the side effects of Procar (Tremor)

Comment from: gmag, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

THe only thing that was strange was that I had one PSA test before taking the drug and got a 2.5 reading.Then took the drug for 6 months got another PSA reading of 1.1.and a year later had 2 PSA tests.within a week and got 2 similiar readings,2.6 and then 2.4. My guess is that the lab was never told I was on this drug or tested my blood differntly within a year.

Comment from: redneck, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 21

While it did not shrink my prostate it keep it from getting any larger 112cm. Some loss of sex drive and interest but better than nothing. I have to get a haircut at least every 3 wks now from the hair growth. hi.

Comment from: Pissed, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 03

This drug should be Band from Market. Side effects,E D,low or no sex drive. Burning while urinating,fequent trips to bathroom all day and night. No warnings from my Dr. about these side effects took it 4 months and it was 4 months of hell. Quit 18 days ago and 90% of side effects gone...........PS-Class acton suit(google it)

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 05

BPH symptoms relieved but produced impotence

Comment from: wallace, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 24

70 y/o taking proscar for 18 years. Dr. recently stated "you have done very well".

Related Reading: proscar

Comment from: jbud405, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 08

Im 43 years old with an enlarged prostate and have taken this drug for six months. It has lowered my PSA and improved my urine flow. The side effects are that im completely impotent and not interested in sex at all. The improvement in night time trips to the bathroom is enough to keep me using this drug.

Related Reading: enlarged prostate

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 21

better flow during urnation,increased ability to start flow.

FDA Logo