Proventil

Comment from: orangejello1984, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I have been on a generic abuterol inhaler for almost 15 years. I can't believe they stopped making it. I'm disgusted with the fact that I have to pay $40 for a rescue inhaler when my old one worked just as well. It's great that someone wanted to clean up the environment, but it's criminal that they are charging everyone at least $35 for an inhaler that used to cost $5. This is a medication that some people can't live without and with the new prices, people can't afford it. I'm livid that there is no generic available. I'm half tempted to lock myself in a closet for the next 2 years while I wait for a generic because I simply can't afford to be out and about in a world full of allergens when I have to pay $40 for my inhaler! Ridiculous.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 11

Now I can't speak for everyone, but I agree with everyone 110%... I really miss the old albuterol sulfate! This medication isn't very effective and I find myself constantly using more than what is prescribed. Also, no matter how hard I puff... it never seems to be despensing the medicine, you could hear and feel my old inhalier working... but this one does work after a while. Just do yourself a favor and get a different perscription; because this one is worthless for emergencies! The only reason i'm still using it, is because it's only a $2.50 co-pay with my insurance. Which, by the way, is really all this crapp is worth.

Related Reading: albuterol sulfate

Comment from: mmartin, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 08

I have had asthma for 22 years. In the past, I have only had to use my inhaler if I was ill or sometimes following exercise. I'm not sure if my asthma has gotten worse, or if it's a casualty of this replacement inhaler. The new Proventil HFA is NO WHERE CLOSE to being as effective as the old Albuterol inhalers. I am all for decreasing the amount of CFC's we release into the ozone, but are inhalers seriously that big of a concern compared to all of the factories, air conditioners, etc. that spew CFC's ALL DAY EVERY DAY? I went to pick up my refill today, and was shocked to learn it's $68 (I am a student and without insurance). I have to wonder if the EPA and Big Pharma are in on this together, or if it's just a "happy coincidence". Nearly every post I have seen and nearly every person I talk to says they have to use this BS inhaler more often, and that it is significantly less effective.

Related Reading: asthma | proventil | albuterol

Comment from: highlyannoyed, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 10

Why is there no counter with this inhaler anymore? This is absolutely crazy! There is no way you can tell how much is left in the container, so you can't plan ahead whether or not you need to have a new one on hand. I just took two puffs, but have no idea if there was anything left in the canister or not, so I had to call my doctor for a new script, just in case. I sure would like to know how I can call the company and complain about this.

Comment from: betty, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been using this medicine for two weeks now and find that I have to use it more to relieve my breathing. Also now I have muscle cramps in my lower leg. This is one of the side affects, I am going to ask the Dr. if there is anything else I can take to relieve my asthma.

Related Reading: muscle cramps

Comment from: mrs s1, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 16

I want the old one back!!!!!!This inhaler is terrible!!!!!! It does not work half as well and I find I need to use it more.Please find a way to bring back the old one!!!!!!!!

Comment from: lgomez, 25-34 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 28

I'm a 26 year old asthmatic and I hate this new Albuterol all Albuterols are the same the generics or brand names the problem is once they made the HFA the medication strength doesn't work the same. I find myself using more and more often as before I only needed a puff once in awhile now I use it like 4 puffs or more specially when I really have a severe asthma attack. I believe if its not broken don't fix it. We were all doing very well with the old one. At work since I'm also a repiratory therapist every one of my patients complain of how ineffective this new inhaler is. Specially for our eldery patients they find them self more in the hospital because they find no reason to use their inhaler since it doesn't work for them.

Comment from: Beth, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 05

I have used Albuterol for the last 8 or 9 years. When they took it off the market I was put on this and it DOESN'T work. AND I think i'm allergic to something in it but its the only thing I can take when a sudden attack comes on(even though it really doesn't work).

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been using this inhaler for the past 10 months. I am not happy with it. I feel like I have to use more of it than I ever had to use my albuterol inhaler. After I use it it makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Related Reading: albuterol

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: September 15

I have only been using this inhaler for about 6 months as opposed to the 6 years I used my other inhaler. This one does not work most of the time! I feel like I am constantly needing more medicine, since it hasn't controlled my attacks as well as I need it to. I'm going to the doctor next week to hopefully try something different...

Comment from: Crytical, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

While Proventil *seems* to have a softer spray than plain albuterol (CFC inhalers), I find it easier to use. It doesn't seem as if most of the med ends up on the back of my throat. The taste is also far better :-) I just switched and I don't think I'll go back! While a regular albuterol inhaler only costs me $4 each and Proventil is a $30 copay, it's worth it.

Related Reading: proventil

Comment from: Gerbil89, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 28

When I feel an asthma attack coming, it helps within about 10 minutes, but the after effects drive me nuts. Sometimes I'd rather deal with the asthma attack. My hands shake, I get a headache, my heart starts racing and sometimes it makes it hard to BREATH. It works when I absolutely need it but I think I might try ProAir instead.

Related Reading: asthma | headache | proair

Comment from: Cindy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 26

Not effective at all! Need my other albuterol inhaler. Having more difficulty breathing. Just hoping my MD can help with something else.

Comment from: Brugor, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 14

I have used it for about six months. I may be getting resistant to it. It used to last 6 hours, now only lasts about 4 hours. I tried Qvar inhaler and Singulair pills, which have no effect on me at all. Proventil is effective, although slower to act than the old albuterol.

Related Reading: qvar | singulair

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 03

I was changed to this inhaler and it does not work. I finally got so tired of having to spend my day (puffing)that I went and got my Asmanex filled and am starting it tonight. Hopefully that will take care of it and I wont need this useless inhaler!

Related Reading: asmanex

Comment from: vegas44, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 20

The only drawback to this drug it makes you tremble, and if that is the least side effect to my recovering than I say "Bravo"

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 21

Well,my six year old daughter has been on this medication for about 6 months and at first she could not breath through the night,she would cough & have problems breathing. But, now she sleeps all night with out having any problem of breathing.

Related Reading: cough

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 03

It works but there are cheaper alternatives such as Ventolin.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 15

When using this medication I get a very warm uncomfortable feeling in my chest and lungs. It makes me sick on my stomach. I used the albuterol (old one) for 33 years and never had a problem. For myself taking that one off the market was a very big mistake for severe asthma suffers. I wish I new where to order the real inhaler.

Related Reading: albuterol | asthma

Comment from: Charlotte, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

I'm taking this inhaler for 1 week for bronchitis. The aftertaste isn't good, but it effectively clears my bronchial tubes. I would take again if needed.

Related Reading: bronchitis

Comment from: Candy56, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 22

It works really well for me. I was on a generic brand and it wasnt as good as this.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 12

It's great.Easy to use, no after taste.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 24

I have a hard time with the amount of spray coming out

Comment from: LadyDazzell1954, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 04

It works wonders but my insurance did not pay but only $1.00 on this. What else works this well at a lower price. This is not the only medication I take, and when I picked it up I was floored as to the cost of this medication.If I did not need it I would of not gotten it.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 18

I just started but it seems to be working for me. I was wheezing and my breathing was off.