Prozac

Comment from: ??? 13-18 Transgender 1 to 6 months Caregiver Published: September 12

I am absolutely disgusted with my parents' decision to force me onto this medicine. They put me on it for suicidal thoughts related to PTSD and after around six weeks of taking it I got an absolute nightmare migraine. It was hell on earth and it was my very first migraine. I felt like I was burning next to the fiery gates of Hell and waiting for the devil's arrival. The worst thing was my parents didn't care and they watched me suffer.

Comment from: Reality Beast 45-54 Transgender 2 to less than 5 years Caregiver Published: August 20

I've tried many AD's including other anxiety medications, and I can say the Prozac is one of the best. It's not without challenges. You will have jittery feelings, bouts of anxiety and other weird symptoms when you first start it. But if you tell yourself it's the body getting acclimated to the medication, combined with exercise, meditation and taking warm baths or showers, you will eventually notice how effective this medication is when it comes to neutralizing panic disorder or anxiety. All have weight gain issues, except Wellbutrin and a few others. But these drugs wire you and IMHO do not treat anxiety efficiently. Zoloft and Wellbutrin were the worst. They seem to be effective at the beginning, but as your body gets used to them, the nervousness, difficulty sleeping and jitters will come back To combat weight gain, the two most effective strategies are low carb diets and or intermittent fasting. Try going for 8 hours, then 10 hours and then 12-14 hours if you can. Your weight gain will completely be neutralized. Your energy levels will help counteract the drowsiness Prozac can give you. This combined with exercise daily or at least 3 times a week will change your life Prozac is by far the most effective treatment. I took half of the prescribed dose (one 10mg pill every other day) to allow a slow introduction. If it's too powerful for you, you can ask your doctor or pharmacist to give it to you in a tablet form. This way you can break it in half and take 5mg daily or every other day. I didn't have my first panic attack until the age of 38. I had multiple visits to Urgent Care and visited other specialists like a Pulmonologist and heart doctor because I thought I was either having a heart attack, or my lungs were about to collapse. The anxiety was so bad, that it effected my breathing. Not shortness of breath, but when exhaling, it felt as if my lungs were trying to collapse. When I tried to sleep, it felt like I had to physically and consciously intervene with my breathing so that my lungs wouldn't collapse. I know it sounds crazy. It is one of the most humbling and terrifying feelings I've ever gone through and I will never ever question someone or mock someone when they tell me they suffer with anxiety. You have no control over it and it will rear it's ugly head when you're not expecting it. I hope this helps someone. Just know, that the jitters, restlessness and worry will subside when you first take it. It takes a few weeks for the body to get used to it and for the chemicals in the brain to stabilize. I know a few people that have taken Prozac for 6 months to a year, stopped it to take a break and then start up again when the chemicals in the brain get too low. It's really personal preference and you can talk to your doctor or psych to strategize

Related Reading: anxiety | prozac | wellbutrin

Comment from: Happy Gal 55-64 Transgender 1 to 6 months Caregiver Published: May 20

Took for anxiety. The most vile medication on the market. It’s the bully of the playground. I was only on 10 mg, couldn’t handle the awful side effects; nausea, headache, insomnia, no appetite, no libido etc etc. So I tried 5 mg & it was no better. Did this for 4 weeks & that was enough for me!!!!!!! Now on 15 mg of Mirtazapine & have not had one side effect!!! Finally feeling normal again!!!! Yay! I would not recommend this prozac. it maybe good for some, but it certainly was not good for me. And from what I can understand, most SSRI’s have the same horrible side effects.

Related Reading: anxiety | headache | insomnia

Comment from: ilikechocolate1 13-18 Transgender 1 to 6 months Caregiver Published: May 11

its good but the side effects werent for me; Restless leg syndrome, bad nightmares and overeating other than that gave me a great deal of happiness

Related Reading: restless leg syndrome | nightmares

Comment from: 19-24 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: March 21

I had been on Lexapro for about a year and a half before switching to Prozac. Compared to Prozac, Lexapro did nothing. Since switching, I have noticed such an improvement to my overall mood. There will still always be bad days but Prozac makes them so much more managable for me. I have also not noticed too many side affects. Please remember that everyones brains are different so everyone will react differently. I had a positive experience, but make sure to work with your doctor to find the best fit.

Related Reading: lexapro | prozac

Comment from: sk3l3t0nz 19-24 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: March 10

It gave me headaches after using it for over a month. Initially, it is normal to experience a lot of bad side effects for the first few weeks, but mine lasted too long.

Comment from: Nate 19-24 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: December 29

worked well, for a while, like 3 months. In the end it felt like taking tylenol to deal with the pain of a fresh bullet wound. I kept getting my dose upped, and after an 80mg dose proved ineffective, I stopped taking it. I won't speak to anyone else using it, as it's a drug meant to alter chemicals in your brain, and because of that, it could miracles for some and be hell for others. In my case, it didn't make things worse, but it definitely didn't make anything better either.

Related Reading: tylenol

Comment from: Jo 45-54 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: December 12

I,ve been on many antidepressants and Prozac was my last one and the most effective.got to normal life again.

Related Reading: prozac

Comment from: Annathebun 19-24 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: July 12

I was originally prescribed Prozac when I was 16 for depression, it definitely worked but I had side effects like extreme fatigue and intense nightmares. However it was necessary at the time due to the severity of my depression, and I stayed on it for 2.5 years. Last December I was prescribed it for anxious depression and I still found it had an effect, but less, and my side effects were much more severe, as well as complete loss of sex drive, and nightmares so intense I was unsure what was real and what was dream. Iâ??ve decided the side effects are worse than the benefits and so I am in the process of coming off Prozac now.

Related Reading: prozac | depression | fatigue

Comment from: lee 13-18 Female Patient Published: April 27

I took this drug for a year I had very severe panic disorder it was horrible I couldn't even leave the house my therapist gave me this med to help, it did nothing for two months, I took up to 40mg and I had no changes, it would make me exhausted and I do not recommend this.

Comment from: Louisianagal 19-24 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: April 09

Prozac has honestly changed my life for the better. After a terrible experience with Lexapro, I didn’t have much hope for this drug. I used to have extreme difficulty controlling my thoughts. I have struggled with anxiety and minor OCD for several years and after taking 20mg for 6 months now I am feeling so much better. Little things do not bother me and I am able to control my thoughts. Only side effect is mild hand shaking and night terrors, which are definitely outweighed by the positive effects. Stop reading reviews and take the medication. It could change your life too.

Related Reading: prozac | lexapro | anxiety

Comment from: Tammy 45-54 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: April 07

Do not ever take this medicine, do not let a doctor prescribe this for you I was on this medication due to the fact that I was depressed for a few years before I started taking it when I lost my twins at three and a half months... I was prescribed this for a couple years later after that happened I took it for about six or seven years, I would have a conversation with somebody for an hour or so and 5 minutes later I had no idea what we talked about it messed with my memory severely. I tried to take myself off at a couple times and I was angry throwing stuff. The best way I can describe it is it helps you put everything away on a Shelf for a while and when you come off it everything hits you like a ton of bricks it blocks everything until you come off it. I have now been it's approximately 15 years and I'm just still getting my memory back. I'm a bus driver I'll be driving along during the day and I'll get a memory back of something that happened years ago not in the way you just remember something but people's names what we talked about years ago things I couldn't remember at the time. It's very scary just downright crazy do not ever let a doctor give you this medicine!!! And just to let you know I worked 10 years in the health field so please I heard you do not ever take this I really didn't know it was back on the market haven't heard anything about it in years and I just assumed it was gotten rid of I'd like to sue personally whoever made best medication to begin with and not for the money not about the money it's about getting it off the market once and for all! Please heed my warning everyone no...

Comment from: Amber 35-44 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: August 07

I have tried so many medications for my depression and bipolar and this has worked the best for me out of everything they've tried. I have been dealing with this for over 20 years and Prozac has been a God send. If you've tried everything and nothing has worked I'd give Prozac a try, it's worth it!!!

Related Reading: depression | prozac

QUESTION

Depression is a(n) __________ . See Answer
Comment from: 19-24 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: April 28

I have been taking this medication for 5 years at 30mg, when I was first diagnosed with MDD and GAD. It made my life a lot easier to live, once it kicked in. Only negative thing is that in my personal experience, it became less effective over time. I recently relapsed (in the mental health sense) I now have to take several other medications in addition to this to get back on my feet again.

Related Reading: mental health

Comment from: awesome 25-34 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: March 31

awesome medicine, I suffer from anxiety, i took 20mg and after a month my anxiety disappear completely, I'm on this from 2.5 years, but it makes me eat alot, I was 60kg and now I'm 85kg, it makes me enjoy eating and crave for sugar, but I'm okay :) my life become so bright and shiny..

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Rebecca 45-54 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: March 25

When my doctor mentioned Prozac to treat my depression eight months ago, I hesitated to take it. He explained the benefits of prozac. It took me a month to see the positive results. I am so glad I did. I feel wonderful. No more anxiety/panic attacks.

Related Reading: prozac | depression | anxiety

Comment from: rosan 25-34 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: March 23

It definitely helped me through hard times. On the good side, i was neutral emotionally. On the bad side I got pssd and also rage symptoms (that i never had) that may remain or may not for the rest of my life.

Comment from: MrsH 25-34 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: January 12

I started taking this medication a year ago. The first three weeks I was on a very low dosage of 20 mgs but it didn�t worked. I was still having a lot of anxiety and a lot of ocd symptoms. I was then prescribed 40 mg which helped a lot to stabilize my mood and feel normal again. Side effects while being on 40 mg were no desire to sex or delayed to organ. My dr said to lower it to 30 mg and it has worked wonders! This is just my experience and it may work different in other people but I�m thankful that it was a good one.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: porky 55-64 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: December 31

taking for panic attacks, I am not sure but I pray that it works!!!!

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: Pdee 45-54 Female 10 years or more Patient Published: December 08

I have been taking this daily for 19 years. I do not like taking it or the stigma attached. But if I do not take this there is a rapid decline into my behaviour before starting it. Paranoia, ocd and massive depression returns. Tried to reduce dose to come off it, I can't ever according to doctor. I believe taking this has saved me, without it I would be dead.

Related Reading: depression