Reclast

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 11

I have been unable to take any of the osteoporosus drugs for the past several years. Reclast is working for me both as an easier application, once a year, and better health. One thing I have noticed is that my fingernails no longer break and are becoming hard. The same with my toenails. I took Reclast 2 months ago and so far so good. My veins are very tiny and hard to find so I take the IV in the chemo room at my local doctors clinic. Not bad at all. I also seem to have more energy. Perhaps it's a release from anxiety that I'm not going to become a hunched over old lady.

Related Reading: reclast | anxiety

Comment from: rdhein, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 11

My mom, age 71, was scheduled for Reclast treatments for osteoporosis, after completing 2 years of Forteo. After seeing reviews, I recommended that she not do it. Her physician explained that he had attended a conference and they have found that by administering the Reclast slowly, over 60 minutes, instead of the 15 minutes that had been used in the past, this alleviated many of the symptoms that patients have endured. She didn’t receive any instructions from her endocrinologist, we found instructions ffrom Vanderbilt University to follow prior to a Reclast infusion (see below), which she did. On the day of the infusion, the administering nurse told us that it would take about 15 minutes, and we told her that the doctor had given specific instructions to administer it slowly over 60 minutes. After a call to the doctor, she gave her the Benadryl as he instructed along with Tylenol prior to the infusion. Overall, it was actually administered between 50 – 55 minutes. After the infusion, she said her head felt big, but really had no other issues. After the infusion, she continued to stay hydrated and kept waiting to experience adverse effects. I am happy to report that it has been almost 3 weeks since her infusion and she has had no ill effects from the Reclast. I hope that this review will help someone else. 2 weeks prior to infusion and 2 weeks after infusion: 1) Increase daily Calcium to 1500 mg 2) Take at least 2,000 IU of Vitamin D daily 10- 20 days prior to Infusion: Lab work at your doctor's office. Morning of Infusion: 1) Hold any diuretic medications. (HCTZ, Spironolactone, water pills 2) Take Tylenol 1000 mg prior to infusion 3) Be hydrated. Drink 64 oz. of water, juice, or tea the day before infusion and drink 16 oz. the morning before the infusion unless contraindicated for health reasons. Mention any dental procedures or procedures with oral or IV contrast(CT, MRI) planned 1 month prior to and 1 month after infusion.

Related Reading: osteoporosis | forteo | benadryl

Comment from: flowers, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 26

Haven't really been able to see if the injection works. I just got a shot in Feb. I am having stomach problems and still not sure what is causing it. I am very carefull what I take because of stomach side effect.

Comment from: snowcrab, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

I was an active 54 year old female that took the Reclast IV 4 months ago and in 4 months my life has changed dramatically. The first night I took it I was in so much pain that nothing helped me. I ran a fever of over 102 for one week. I needed help to walk and to move. My family physician called in two types of pain pills to no avail. Again, nothing helped me. Most of my bones felt as though they were broken. I was not told of these severe reactions that were possible. Even my family physician was shocked that I was so ill. One month later I took one antibiotic pill, the same type that I had used only three months prior to the Reclast injection. One hour after taking the antibiotic pill, I went into anaphylactic shock and almost died. At the hospital, we were told that if we had waited 10 minutes longer, I wouldn't have made it! Now, I have to carry an EpiPen because I am allergic to a whole family of that type of antibiotic. After lots of research of the internet about Reclast I found that this is one of the Reclast side effects. It has been four months since the injection and I feel worse that I ever did. I have trouble walking for any length of time and most of the time I am short of breath and my heart races. These are some of the other side effects I learned about later. I have also read the side effects that cause possible jaw rot.I am worried all the time of what side effect that may come next. I'm even afraid of getting my annual flu shot due to a possible reaction. My family has seen a dramatic change in my deteriorating health. I have lost so much energy since I've had the injection. Maybe women should age gracefully and not be used as experiments for new medicines. Ladies, please research all medicines before trusting the doctors.

Related Reading: fever | shock | epipen

Comment from: Faith, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 01

I had the infusion in Dec,09 and have been suffering from severe bone and joint pain and muscle weakness ever since. My life is not the same since taking this horrible drug. I was told after the fact that this drug could cause side effects that could last from 3 months to 1 year. Nothing seems to relieve the pain. Ther pain seems to move but the worst is in the neck area upper arms, back & leg weakness. I'd like to hear from someone who has had an adverse reaction to this drug and hear if anything helped relieve their pain. I have spoken to the drug company and have received confirmation from them and the doctor that these symptoms are definitely a reaction and has been reported by others as well. Once this is in your body you can't get it out and they don't seem to have any answers. They should be more open with this info before you take this infusion. It's like a poison in your body. I can't imagine osteo pain being any worse that what I'm experiencing right now. I went from exercising 4 to 5 times a week and walking 4 to 5 miles to not being able to get thru 1 mile without incredible pain. I'm extremely tired all the time and everything seems like such an effort to do. The drug company and the doctors who administer this HORRIBLE drug are not up front with the patients about how it can affect you if you have an adverse reaction. They only want you to believe that the only reaction is 2 or 3 days of flu like symptoms. They also will try & convince you that it is not the drug causing you all this pain but that it is a flare up of your pre-existing arthritic conditon. It's amazing I have never had a flare up that lasted 24 hours a day every day for 3 months.More of us need to speak out and tell what the doctors won't tell you about this drug.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: Ruth, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I received my first Reclast infusion in November of 2007. I had previously used the oral drugs, but experienced severe digestive side effects and my doctor recommended I try the infusion. The day of the Reclast infusion I drank several glasses of water beforehand, and more during the day. I had flu-like symptoms that day, but by the second and third day I had only a mild headache. In June, seven months later, I had my annual bone density test. My hip had improved 7.6% and my spine 18.9%. I realize that all drugs have side effects and have the potential to be damaging, but brittle and crumbling bones also have side effects and can be damaging to ones way of life. Perhaps at some point in the future I will regret having the infusion, but today I made an appointment for my second infusion. It's hard to argue with the improvement I experienced.

Related Reading: reclast | flu | headache

Comment from: scarletttw, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 27

Wanted to provide another update: My situation briefly is: Due to gastro issues I am not able to take the oral medications. I have to admit, I read many of the comments and it scared me to death some of the negative comments. Well, I had my treatment 2 months ago and never have I had any of the problems except for the first night with the major flu symptoms. As someone who almost decided to cancel due to some of the comments, I decided to provide another update. I feel for the folks having issues that may or may not be related to this infusion, however for me. still no problems. There is hope for everyone with this treatment.

Comment from: sally, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I had NO side effects at all from the infusion! There is so much negative info being posted on this drug from people who are reporting bad experiences, I feel those of us who have taken it with no problems need to speak up. Several of my friends have received it--and other than one having a mild headache the following day--none of us have had any problems with it.

Comment from: Foozie54, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 29

My Dr. did not prepare me in advance for an infusion of Reclast. Due to Intestinal issues and an ulcer I was unable to take other Rx's by mouth. I was sent to an infusion center to receive the drug and given 2-Tylenol and a Benedryl before the infusion as the nurse said it can cause flu-like symptoms. I was well hydrated before and during the first 12 hrs. I was not presented with any of the side effects until I departed. I was a little fatigued which I thought was the Benedryl. I went to bed and was awakened at 3:00 AM with severe, severe joint, bone and muscle pain, and a fever. I live alone and could make it to the bathroom and was able to get water down. I took Darvocet for the pain and it couldn't begin to take the edge off the pain. 3'd day still fever, but now vomiting and diarrhea along with the pain that was lessening somewhat. Today is the 4th day, I am still not able to work and now have tingling and numbness in my feet and arms and my jaw is locking while trying to get some toast down. I pray that the effects will subside soon. I should have done better research before agreeing to this poison being infused to my already battered body.

Related Reading: tylenol | fever | diarrhea

Comment from: mamaR, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 28

I had my injection of reclast on Wednesday this week. While I was receiving the i.v., I was experiencing an icy cold sensation in my arm, asked if they thought we should stop, and the nurse said it was just positional from keeping my arm still. It's been over four days, and that arm hasn't stopped tingling! Within one hour of the i.v. I had a terrible headache in the back of my head. Shortly after that I started to get a fever, chills, nausea, bone and muscle pain, and confusion. Even my eyes hurt! By midnight I awoke with vomiting and a fever of 103.5! My husband rushed me to the E.R. where I was given Demerol for the pain and fever, Zofran for the vomiting, an i.v. bag of fluids, and sent home with a prescription for more demerol and some steroids to take for a week! It is now Saturday night, I still have a fever of 100 to 101 degrees, muscle and joint pain, while taking all the meds I'm required to take! If I miss a dose of tylenol, I start to get worse! This was the worst drug reaction I've had since Levaquin! If you have allergies, please don't take this drug! I feel as though I have been used as a guinea pig by my doctor for a drug that didn't go through enough testing! I'd love my doctor to pay me back the fee for my emergency room visit since he could have sent me home with two prescriptions that cost under ten dollars, in case I had a reaction! As an adult over 50, I know darned well that the fever of 103.5 degrees was very dangerous. I urge anyone considering this drug to look for something else to take for bone loss.

Related Reading: reclast | demerol | zofran

QUESTION

What is another medical term for osteoporosis? See Answer
Comment from: mary doe, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: February 14

My 65y/o mother had her first infusion last March, and it has been a nightmare ever since. She began with weakness, pain, jaw pain, and fatigue. In October, she started with swelling in her eyes, face, and hands and feet. She has been to several doctors, including 5 specialists at Mayo. Everyone admits that there is something wrong, but it is not their department. Of course, nobody will admit it is from this drug. This drug is nasty and should have never been put on the market. She is suffering everyday and had to take a leave from her job in November.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: JanPhillips, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 12

My mother was prescribed and given the Reclast infusion for osteoporosis on May 22, 2008. She passed away on July 7, 2008 due to complications that arose as a result of having been given prescribed this very toxic medication. According to the Reclast website this medication was not tested on patients with kidney disfunction and was simply not "recommended". With so few cautions and not much testing this drug is definately not safe and should not be taken. The Zometa, the same drug with a different name, website has far more information and regarding this drug and uses strong cautions frequently throughout their website. If you feel that you must still consider Reclast as an option in your own healthcare, please take the time to read the Zometa website information closely. My mother lost her life due to the medical communities lack of knowledge surrounding this drug.

Related Reading: reclast | osteoporosis | zometa

Comment from: on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 25

My mother who is 59 got this treatment on a monday morning, by 7pm that night she could not walk, get out of bed by herself. She had a fever, and was shaking all over..she was told she "may" have flu like symptoms... Today is Wed. and she still is in pain. she's able to walk a little but only after taking 800mg of Advil.. she will not be getting this again.

Related Reading: fever | flu

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 23

I am a 42-year-old woman who was diagnosed with osteoporosis at the age of 40. I recently was prescribed Reclast because taking oral Fosamax caused very bad heartburn. I received Reclast yesterday and suffered no side effects except for feeling tired. I am very healthy outside of having osteoporosis and I think this drug will work well for people who do not have chronic illness.

Related Reading: fosamax | heartburn

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 13

I've read horror stories about Reclast on line. I wanted to post something positive about the infusion. I had no reaction. I can't believe that I postponed it for months.

Comment from: J.W. in Ohio, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 08

It was a horrible experience. I had so much bone pain, jaw pain the first two weeks. The first twenty-four hours after taking the drug, my chest hurt so bad, I thought I was having a heart attack and was going to die. I could not lied down. No one warned me. I basically got blown off at the doctor's office. It took someone eight days to contact me. I did not want to go to the emergency; I wanted to be home when I died. I actually thought this is it. I may sue someone over this. Anyone know a lawyer who handles these cases? J.W. in Ohio

Related Reading: heart attack

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: August 15

I am very angry that the Dr.'s gave this medication to my grandmother. It is slowly killing her. It's been 1 week since she received the meds and has had every symptom listed, nausea, vomting, high fever, chills, muscle weakness, dizziness, shortness of breath, extreme weakness and extreme loss of energy, upper respiratory problems. She sounds like she's developing pnuemonia. Every time she gets up she gets worse. This is absurd. A patient pays $3000 for something that inevitably worsens their overall health. Stop using people as guinea pigs. If you have side effects please call the drug company and inform them, because my grandmother called and apparently was informed that they are uncertain of the side effects and still surveying patients. Why would you want to submit your patients to an experimental drug?!

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: Maddie, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 06

The first night after receiving my injection I had a fever of 103, vomiting, diarrhea and a three day headache. It has been a month since the IV and for the last three weeks, I feel like someone has punched me in the jaw. I would never again use this medicine.

Related Reading: fever | diarrhea | headache

Comment from: anti-scooter, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

I had an injection of Reclast in March. It was very quick and easy. I have experienced no side effects. My doctor says it is working for me by making my bones stronger. I would definately have the IV again. Once a year is so much easier than having to do an injection daily.

Related Reading: reclast

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 53 years old and was told that the side effects of this medication were some muscle and bone pain. If I had known then what I know now there is no way I would have ever taken this medication. It feels as though every bone in my body has been fractured. I am at risk of loosing a job that I love because I have been out for so many days. I wasn't told about drinking water before or after and I probably thought what many of you did. If a drug company can put out a medication that causes this much harm I would have had to sign my life away to be able to receive it. I have had more warning for ibuprophin than with this medication. I regretfully think now that had I stayed with the once every three months medication it would have taken four hours out of my year as opposed to the 3 weeks this med has already taken and it is not over yet. Please consider this when trying to make the decision to receive this treatment.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 06

I would not tell anyone to have this done. I had it done on wed. it now is sat. and my right hand aches. That night I could not get warm. My bones ached like the flu only 5 times worse. No body told me to drink water before the treatment.Had trouble with eyes,now I am coughing. I have a bad oder coming from my skin. I will not take it again.

Related Reading: flu

Comment from: DTallent69, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 05

I was scared to death to take this drug after reading all the reviews. But, like is human nature in so many areas, I've concluded that the vast majority of posters are the ones it hasn't worked for. In other words, if everything is OK, no one bothers to complain or post. If there's a problem, they come out of the woodwork. I just wanted to say this drug had absolutely no side effects for me, and won't for 99% of those who take it. You may see a few bad reviews here of those who have had side effects, but you won't see many reviews of the thousands like me who had no ill effects.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 21

I went into treatment without knowing that it could cause kidney problems. All blood tests were norman before the treatment. Severe kidney damage became obvious within 24 hours and has lasted 8 months so far. I read the doctors information for this product and it did not say anything about Causing kidney problems, just not to take it if you already have kidney problems. I would reccomend thinking long and hard about taking this treatment, had I known what it could do to me, I never would have had the treatment done.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 24

I am an active 53 year old woman with osteoporosis. The same night I received the Reclast IV,I felt like I was hit by a fraight train. I could not get up without help. Before receiving the injection I was told that usually there are no side effects. When I called the Dr's. office to explain the pain, I was told that it was normal and was prescribed pain pills. The pain in my muscles and joints are so severe that it feels like most of my bones are broken. If I had done research prior to the treatment, I would have refused it. In my opinion, the Reclast IV side effects outweigh the benefits.

Related Reading: osteoporosis

Comment from: Diane, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 15

I received the infusion on May 1,2008 and experienced terrible joint and muscle pain and stiffness about 6 weeks after that date. I thought I had hip bursitis for a while. I also have had blurred vision and a bad taste in my mouth. Now I have developed high blood pressure for the first time in my life and am on blood pressure medication. I would never, ever get the Reclast again.

Related Reading: hip bursitis | high blood pressure