Risperdal

Comment from: D's Mom, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 19

My 15 year old son was put on Risperdal two years ago as a mood stabilizer, he had a horrible, violent hair-trigger temper punching holes in walls, throwing furniture, and wasn't even allowed to attend his regular middle school, he had to be taught off-campus due to constant explosions directed towards staff and students. Thank God for the Risperdal. He rarely even gets angry anymore, and I'm no longer afraid to confront him if he's behaved negatively. However, the weight gain has been enormous. He's grown a lot height wise, but the weight gain isn't in proportion. He's an athlete, lifts weights 5 days a week and works out with his track team every day. The problem is he's now 300 pounds, at 6'5", and he gained so much weight so fast he even has stretch marks on his waist, hips, under his arms, his shoulders, etc. His size is great for football, to a certain degree but not so much for basketball, as the extra weight really slows him down. He eats healthy, but enormous amounts of food. If not for the weight gain, this would be the perfect medication for him. Kids have started teasing him, even though he's a popular athlete at his high school. His success in school can only be attributed to being on Risperdal. We've had to gauge what's more important here, and since he was basically headed for a life of crime and juvenile detention centers followed most likely by life in adult prisons, we'll take the weight gain.

Related Reading: risperdal | stretch marks

Comment from: xoyoullneverknow, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 09

this medication has worked wonders for my depression i am under control and able to go on with life again like i never thought i would but the side effects are very upsetting please read this i was an all a's student in high school i dont remember multiplacation anymore if you ask me a question it takes me way more time to respond than it should it has slowed down my thinking ill be speaking and i forget what i said at the begining of my sentence i cant remember events that have happened ive forgotten all my childhood memories my doctor told me this was not a side effect but now im reading that other people have this probelm im begining the weaning process tonight if you have this side effect your not alone and dont think your crazy like i did it has caused me to loose all my self confidence and feel unworthy in this world i feel as though i will never suceed or acomplish anything i was going to be a doctor school became to hard for me that i had to start taking online classes thank you eveyone who wrote in and also the lactation was not nice...

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: jglover0014, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 02

My son has been on Risperdal .25 MG since being diagnosed with ADHD last year in kindergarten. Although this is now used in a complete regime of other medications and therapy, I am pleased with how it works for him. It helps him to control his anger outbursts and helps to keep his emotions "even" through out the day. The ONLY bad thing we have experienced is weight gain, he has gained 20 lbs in one year. However, he is not considered obese or overweight, it is an issue for parents to keep an eye on.

Comment from: Cypher, 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 05

I took this drug for anxiety and was never the same. My life has been ruined by this drug. Because of it, I can no longer feel emotions, sleep soundly, stay still, remember simple things, get an erection, or relate to other people. I have been off the drug for months now and I still feel like a lobotomized zombie. Honestly, I'd rather it had killed me.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: I would rather be dead!, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 05

I am a 27 yr. old male. I have always had times where I have, you could say, went crazy. I have had extreme highs and extreme lows. In a rage I stuck a steak knife in my chest twice. Then was hospitalized. There they put me on this medication. At first I thought it was helping wonderfully. After about 6 months I began to hate myself on it. I never had any emotion. No happiness, no sadness, and no anger. All are vital to being a human being, as long as none are extreme. I decided to quit cold turkey. Did not take long till I was losing my mind, literally. At the time I had no idea why, I just thought I must really be crazy and need this medicine. Then I would take it again. Then of course quit. I spent another 6 months trying to live a normal life. I don't remember most of this time. It is time I will never get back. I just know that if ever I really wanted to die it was this time. My brain was screaming at me daily, hourly, minutely, and every second. No one including doctors understood what was wrong with me. It was a nitemare. To put anyone through any of this is horrible. To be on it was horrible. The dreams, the no emotion, the not wanting to live. Still every show that I watched when I was on this, when they come on I get the most horrific feeling when they come on. The side effects to using this will never, I do believe, completely go away. I would rather be dead than be on this. That is coming from the heart. Please make sure you or your loved one is in dyer need of this before taking. It will ruin yours and those around you's life.

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: September 27

It's like night and day. My son was out of control when he was not on this med and is able to control himself better now that he is on it. Besides all the weight he has gained, it's been a wonderful thing for him.

Comment from: lp3333, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 11

Years ago I was falsely diagnosed with Schizophrenia. I am spiritually inclined, and my doctor was an Atheist. He made it very 'clear' to me that angels and god were fabrications, and false clutches, and there is no proof that my beliefs could be real. He also stated that imagination and faith are not healthy 'choices' in this world. I was suicidal at the time due to non-faith based problems, but pressures and events at that time of my life that built up to severe depression. But, he used his prejudice to diagnose me and ignored the real reasons I was in danger. I needed help for the events that happened to me, not medication for *one* sentence I uttered about prayer. It sounds like a made-up story, I assure you it was not. This is an issue I have with the sector of psychology that assumes God is a mental illness. I am a colorful creative person, and he used his gray-stoicism to counter my beliefs, rather than help me. If you are indeed, schizophrenic or have dementia, this pill will work, since my great aunt took it for her dementia, and it helped. But if you are diagnosed WRONGLY this will make you even more depressed, despondent, zombie like, and coupled with prozac, I gained 55 lbs. I had a trainer and was on a diet, and still didn't lose the weight, which made me MORE depressed. It wasn't until I went to a new doctor 2 1/2 years later, that I was avenged. She saved me, told me I was GROSSLY misdiagnosed, and dangerously over-medicated. (he had me at full dose Prozac and 90% full dose Resp.) Nightmare. PLEASE PEOPLE. GET SECOND OPNIONS. It could save your life!! You are never 'married' to any doctor, regardless if they make you feel like they're the only one you should see. LEAVE THEM if you are doing everything correctly, and still are getting no results months later.

Related Reading: schizophrenia | depression | mental illness

Comment from: happy mom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 19

my 10 yr old son has been taking this for 5 years, he has add and a mood disorder. This drug has been terrific in treating his tantrums, anxiety ,and irritability. He is easy to reason with and able to take direction, disappointment and change in stride. Additionally, he is able to sleep.He is currently taking .5 mg at bedtime. I do encourage parents to try this drug, but in conjunction with many other forms of therapy. I have seen this drug work miracles for children with PDD and ASD issues. It has changed our son and it has made us a happier family.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: Aalliieemarie, 13-18 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 20

I was prescribed Risperdal when I was put into the hospital for a suicide attempt when I was 9. The doctors did not take time to review my symptoms when I was admitted, so I was put on the drug almost immediately after admittance. As it turned out, I had severe OCD and moderate mood issues, NOT schizophrenia as they had thought. After being put on another medication, the Risperdal was STILL not working. 2 years later, I started going to a different psychiatrist, and he FINALLY got me off the drug. The problem was now, not my condition, but my weight. I had always been underweight, but during the 2005-2006 school year, I nearly doubled my weight, going from 65lbs to 120. I was bullied because of my weight, and eventually it got so bad that I was homeschooled from late 2006-mid 2009. 5 years later, I am a freshman (back in the public school system) and still have not recovered from the side affects of Risperdal,I am now almost 140 lbs. This drug did not work for me, and (even if they did have schizophrenia) I wouldn't wish this medication on ANYONE, even my worst enemy.

Related Reading: risperdal | suicide | schizophrenia

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 22

My 4-year old has been prescribed this for his mood-disorder. He has been less angry and less violent. He is very emotional though. Instead of raging out, he cries more. He definately has an increased appetite. Overall, I would say that this is a very effective medication for him.

Comment from: Smit_209, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 20

My 5 year old son has been taking this to help with his hyperactivity, and he is also on the Autism spectrum. We have had good luck with this medication in calming him down so he learn during the day and manage his behaviors better. he also used to not sleep at night (he was averaging about 3 hours of sleep a night) for almost a year! now he is able to sleep through the night. its been a godsend. he currently takes .5 mL at breakfast and .25 mL before bed.

Comment from: pepsi_girl, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 17

My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 6 and at first we had him on Straterra and it worked for a little while with his anger and fits, but it didn't help much with his impulsiveness and then it stopped working on his outbursts and when I took him back to the doc, she mentioned this one to me and I figured we would give it a shot and so far it has worked great. He doesn't get angry too much any more and he can actually think about his actions first.

QUESTION

Schizophrenia is the most disabling mental illness. See Answer
Comment from: zooyork79, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 22

i was diagnosed with major Depression Disorder in 2002. I was given Risperdal 30days ago and it changed my life! I have energy during the day, not tired all the time, i have a smile on my face. I am me again:)

Related Reading: depression | risperdal

Comment from: 7-12 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 23

My 9yr old was given this med for his anger. He has ADHD ,Oppositional Defiant Disorder and depression. His anxiety was high and his anger was intense. Once given this med. the anger was gone! he was so much happier. The side effect of weight gain was a plus . he was only 49lb at first and now he is 11 and weighs 72lb. he is still a little guy ,but he looks healthier.

Related Reading: depression | anxiety

Comment from: jenfri71, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 06

my 6yr old son just started this medication a week ago. he has adad, autism, and the dr. suppects bipolar. for the past several months he has not been able to behave in school after starting this medication he has been darn near perfect. staying on top of his work and behaving. it helps him get to bed at a decent time tho he doesnt sleep thru the nite. the school nurse said that nothing may help with that. but i'm happy with the results

Comment from: mommy2, 13-18 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 18

Our daughter has been on risperdal for many years. It was like a miracle cure for our daughter with Autism. She is very obsesive. This medicine helped with that and she would not sleep. This medicine helped with sleep. Now years later I wish we knew more of the side effects our daughter is now showing all the bad side effects. She looks like she has parkinism. She ended up having breast discharge. She is having twisting of he extremities. Her feet are turned inward, her musles are pulling her hips out of their sockets.Doctors had a hard time determing that it was the medicine. Please be careful with this medicine and know the side effects. A miracle turned into a nightmare, but most other medicines work on the same part of the brain and effect the body's dopamine.

Related Reading: risperdal | dopamine

Comment from: a1shif, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: July 30

My son took this medication when he was 8 years old for behavior symptoms which were eventually diagnosed by a team of doctors other than the prescriber as Asperger's syndrome. At the time, it did help with disruptive behavior but mostly because it caused fatigue. My son gained almost 40 pounds, had breasts beginning to develop, and abnormal liver function tests. Whenever he was 16, last year, he suddenly developed abnormal liver enzymes which couldn't be attributed to anything else- every test short of biopsy was performed. And suddenly he started to gain weight- so much that he now has severe stretch marks. All of this happened 8 years after stopping the risperdal and returning to his pre-risperdal weight. I am very concerned about what even psychiatrists such as my son's previous pediatric psychiatrist are giving to kids. He is functioning much better on nothing but behavior modifications. He just graduated at 17 and made a 25 on the ACT. I'm just not sure of the long=term effects on children and I don't think anyone in the medical community truly is either.

Related Reading: asperger's syndrome | fatigue | liver

Comment from: Andrea, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 11

My 10 year old has been on 0.25 mg and I have seen it help, but I do not like the side effects!!!!!! He is starting to have ticks and tremors and wets his pants plus he wets his bed EVERY NIGHT!!!!!!! He now has to wear pull ups!!! I knew that these were the side effects before going in but knew that everybody is different. I will be taking my son off the med w/dr.'s help this week! There has got to be a better alternative than these meds for children w/bipolar and ADHD!!!!

Related Reading: ticks | tremors

Comment from: Cam, 3-6 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 03

My son has Mild Autism and had bad temper tantrums and anxiety. This first approved Autistic drug has made my childs life more normal.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

I was given this drug for depression in addition to paxil ( which works very well). this drug caused me to have EPIC hallucinations and night terrors.... I actually body slammed myself through a bedroom window because there were "demons" hovering over me. I was convinced I slit my wrists and called my mother and asked her how long it would take me to bleed out. I locked myself in the bathroom for hours because there were "people" in my yard coming to "get" me. I had 30 minute conversations with people who weren't even there! STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!

Related Reading: depression | paxil

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 03

My son was diagnosed with anger issues. He is almost 6 years old and has been on the medication for three months .25m once a day. Have seen great results (no more issues at school). No weight gain, less sleep than in the past but very managable. We tried taking him off for one week and noticed the previous hostile behavior returned. He is now back on the medicine. Hopefully no side effects! This decision did not come lightly!

Comment from: Oakley4, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 20

My son has ADD and was put on risperdal to stimulate his appetite. The only thing the medicine did was slow my sons processing process and give him short term memory problems. He also became extremely paranoid and suffered from severe anxiety. As a parent I wouldn't recommend it for that reason.

Related Reading: risperdal | anxiety

Comment from: donals63, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 31

My 11 year old son has been taking this medication for over 4 years now. He has ADHD, OCD with the possiblity of Asperger's. This medicine has help him very much. He is in more control now and his outbursts are very few and far between. We tried the medication vacation during the summer and we can tell you there is a really big difference. Our only concern is the weight gain and the enlarged breasts for a boy. I thought maybe it was due to the weight gain, but I'm not so sure now. Is there anything else out there that will have the same effect on him without the weight gain??? I sure hope so and I'll keep looking in the mean time. It truely is a miracle drug that has made our lives much easier. We just don't like the side effects it has.

Comment from: 3-6 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 20

my son is a patient that takes risperdal. He was not diagnosed with having ADHD or ADD he just seems to have fits of outrage and really bad temper tantrums. The drug has been very effective in maintaining his temper but he has recently begun to have problems such as a weak bladder where he sometimes urinates on himself. I don't know if this is a reaction of the medicine or if it coming from laziness on his behalf.

Comment from: allisonacres, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: August 31

My son was angry, aggressive, irritable, depressed, totally not loving or happy at all, nonstop energy and did not need much sleep, and woke up several times each night. He started this medicine and within 2 days he was amazingly better. He is almost 7 and is on .5 mg twice per day. If we skip a dose, it's obvious, as he's angry and irritable again. When he's on it without missing a dose he is happy, loving, appropriately energetic, sleeps through the night. He still has a full range of emotions and is very caring and loving and social. It has made a tremendous difference to our family as things had gotten very bad and he had even talked about leaving the family and suicide a couple of times. He was on a higher dose (just .5 mg more) and he started having trouble swallowing, so I took him off it for a week while we decided what to do. All his psychological symptoms cam back within 2 days... His psychiatrist wants him to stay on it but I'm vigilant for any swallowing issues and I will give him Benedryl at the first sign of anything. He has oral dyspraxia also so he already had difficultly with swallowing and breath control/cooridination, so it's hard to say if it's the Risperdal or not. He has gained weight, 8 pounds so far, but we are trying to develop better eating habits!

Related Reading: suicide | risperdal