Risperdal Consta

Comment from: Sarah19-24on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: September 08

I took this for about 3 years for Bipolar 1 mania. I was non-compliant on oral meds, and in the hospital more than I was out because of my symptoms. It took a while for my moods to regulate, but eventually,it worked better than anything else. I have not had an episode in three years, nor, of course, been hospitalized. It helps me because it takes away my ability to be non-compliant, because I do it in a doctors office, and because it is only every two weeks. Overall, it is one of the things that helped me return to a normal life.

Comment from: lakristi35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: December 23

This med is the devil and has irreversible side effects. Impotence, restlessness, loss of concentration, it damages your brain. After having awful suicidal thoughts the doctor has withdrawn the treatment 8 weeks ago but I am still feeling dreadful. Don't take it unless you want to say bye-bye to happiness

Comment from: irishone2119-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: December 01

I feel as thought once the shot wears off I feel flat... I wasn't like this this before, so it seems as thought the medication actually caused negative symptoms of skitzophrenia by treating them.

Comment from: reva45-54 Published: June 26

I have been on risperidal consta for the last 5 years because i was hearing voices in my head which stopped on its own but not due to the medication. Is there any way I can stop the psychiatrist from giving me the injections. I am completely normal for the last so many years and I don't know how the medication can be stopped once it is started. The psychiatrist has said that I must take it all my life. It is very expensive to take this medication all your life and is a drain on my resources. Among the side effects are weakening of the muscles of the eye (I am not able to open my eyelids when i get up in the morning). doctor refuses to stop the injections. Even my calf muscles seem to have weakened and I fear that my heart muscles and other muscles in my body may have weakened also due to this strong injection that I have been taking for so many years now. I have also put on weight due to the medication but psychiatrist is not attributing it to the injection and continues to treat me wiht it because he thinks the more expensive the drug, the better it is. I would like to know what will make the psychiatrist stop the medication all together.

Comment from: stefunny25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 02

I have been consecutively on this med for about a year and a half. It has worked miracles but I have VERY HIGH prolactin levels because of it and have to take pills three times a day to try to keep it from going higher. I don't know which is the worse of the two evils...but my prolactin is definately a concern and MAJOR inconvienance. My Bi-Polar is totally under control though. I do not like having to drive to twon to my Dr pffice every two weeks though, it is a bit inconvienant for me, but the pill form did not produce the results of this shot. I would highly recommend it, but beware of your prolactin levels.

Comment from: rugar1300719-24on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 31

it sucks

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: March 28

I was diagnosed with Psychotic NOS in late 2010, and have been on Risperdal Consta for over 2 years now. This medicine is very helpful for me, very beneficial, as it keeps my mood and behavior very good at all times. I started on Risperdal Oral but was switched to Consta a short time later. I prefer the Risperdal Consta over the oral type of this medication. I highly recommend this medication!!!

Comment from: death25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: January 09

you will die or you will be severely tortured the rest of your life. don't take. worse than any poison

Comment from: Previously charismatic19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 03

Writing on behalf of my 19 year old son, who has a Schizoaffective diagnosis & previous bipolar & BPD diagnoses. During a forced admission to ICU when he visited a psychiatrist to talk about his MS (we were managing okay), he was started on this drug (37.5mg) & discharged into the community after 3 shots. All passion for living has gone completely. His depression is now so much worse than it has ever been, gained 13kg in a month, aching muscles despite lack of use. It is now almost 3 months since his final injection (we sent him out of the country to avoid the compulsory treatment order) & he is spending 20 hours a day in bed, can't manage to self care or exercise whereas he was previously a charismatic energetic skateboarder who mentored younger kids and exercised 5 hours a day. Bloods show tripled prolactin levels, elevated lipids & cholesterol damage. Although we are still hoping for some improvement, we can say without doubt that this drug has destroyed my sons life for more than 6 months, & that was only 3 injections. Be warned!

Comment from: CitizenSofa35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 15

Been on for 5 months. This medication should be banned. Side effects weight gain, loss of sexual ability, insomnia. Benefits: none. Want to come off this med but psychiatrist won't let me. At wit's end over it. Causes so much suffering.

Comment from: janep45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: August 14

Comment from: etienneon Treatment for 5-10 years Published: July 13

i take risperdal consta since 18 months,because i was not compliant with pills of risperdal.Now i'm having very serious problems with this drug,since 3 months i get constant dizziness,impossibility to concentrate,feel like i'm going to fall down when i walk,headhaches,hypersensitivy to noice and more and more.i told my doctor about this side effects and he tells not to stop the injections because there's no therapeutic alternatives to this form of risperdal.this product is about killing me and nobody has a solution to keep me out of this nightmare.The fda can't let janssens put such poisons in the market whithout rigourous controls before.Now i'm going to die as many other peapole was have taken this drug.That's all i wanted to say.

Published: October 14

Janssen Cilag have better products!

Comment from: joe25-34on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: January 31

Comment from: 35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 22

Comment from: hugo25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: October 24

Comment from: Jacob25-34on Treatment for 10+ years Published: May 20

I am 28, with a long history of bipolar 1 and schizoeffective disorder. After trying many antipsychotics, and failing treatment with form of tablets, I now use injectables, Risperdal consta. Though my health care provider and county are very angry it came to this course of treatment- I live in a very small town. I have been to jail, and my insurance no longer places me in decent facilities because of this route of treatment. You are viewed negatively. Please consider this and talk about this with your insurance and psychiatrist in question for your loved on. God speed.

Comment from: 13-18on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 01

Comment from: Erric35-44on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 25

If covered, try this. One shot every 2 wks. so worth it. I've tried at least 10 other RX, but most satisfied with this.

Comment from: Lisa45-54on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: July 22

I was diagnosed with bipolar, tried few antipsychotic oral medications, last time was on risperidone consta, due to non compliance but after 75 injections total was gradually taken off it since 2011, since been on this treatment has done damage to my nervous system, memory loss, suppressed my thinking faculties, and also recently been diagnosed with cervical dystonia, which is neck spasm, and chronically painful lower back, and muscle spasm on both buttocks where the injection was given, limbs weakness, I would like to inform the public that it may work in some people, but this is definitely not given me quality of life, I work full time in a Mental health rehab, and beware speak out for your rights, I have complaint to authority and expecting some sort of compensation, I am normally in good physical health, but these chronic side effects cause me to visit my gp more often than usual..this is potent stuff, psychiatrist who authorise: these treatment must think twice on what the individual consumer need.

Comment from: 19-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 05

I've taken Risperdal injections for 4 months for Bipolar. It makes my concentration poor and I feel dead and in limbo.

Comment from: Why Not? BP aTX45-54on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: April 28

I took Risperdal when I entered treatment for Bipolar 1 (Major Depressive) along with alcohol and meth addiction (snorter). I was in psychosis from the substance abuse and untreated bipolar. I needed the antipyschotic. It worked well to help me get back to reality. I experienced pretty bad side effects: rapid weight gain, major ticks and uncontrolled body movements, saliva gathering at creases in mouth, body core overheating without notice, extreme lethargy. But! I came back to reality during my seven months on the drug. And sixty five pounds later I was happier fat and sane than skinny and insane. It stabilized my mood, eased the delusions, started the brain chemistry back on track and allowed me to think again. I had brain fog. I moved onto Invega a second generation of Risperdal from what I was told with far less side effects. I'm glad I was not on it very long. As far as antipsychotics go, one must be aware of the potency and how strong they can be as far as side effects. Please take precautions ie avoid heating up as I did not realize how I could suddenly heat my core and hit the ground. But you can take other drugs for the ticks and it really worked on the psychosis for me. I toughened up on this drug. It made many I went onto the past six years seem tame... Relativity... and sanity. It did work. It hurt and I got fat but I got better.

Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Kizzie25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: June 25

I've had alot of problems with side-effects such as absence of period, increase blood sugar levels. and I can definitely feel when it wears off,but the bipolar is totally under control, its easy to use and I really like it b/c i hate taking pills.

Comment from: jackson35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: September 22

This medication sucks. It has forced me to gain 70lbs, cases muscle tremors, insomnia, blurred vision, and gastro-intestonal problems

Comment from: panthiras35-44on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 28