Ritalin LA

Comment from: [email protected], 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: November 11

I Have already posted on here about my 6yr.old son he is now 7 and been on ritalin LA for 8 months now.I hate when people say don't give your 5,6,7 yr.old medication their to little. But I think as parents we know them better then anyone else does and we know when they need a little help controlling themselves.Belieive me giving my son meds was the last thing I wanted to do. This medication helps him get through school and have good evenings at home. I have no complaints. He eats, he sleeps, and he isn't a zomby like the other medication vyvanse made him. He gets a good 7-8hrs out of it and slowly comes down in the evening. he's on 30mg and thats what seems to work for him.

Related Reading: ritalin la | vyvanse

Comment from: daisey826, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 12

My daughter was 5 when diagnosed with ADHD. She started on Ritalin LA as her first medication attempt a few months later when school started. She did good on it for a while. We got up to 30mg daily but instead of the 6-8hrs promised, she usually got a good 5 usable hours prior to coming down. She was arguementative about homework at night unless it was done right after school (which we started doing w/my mom). She developed a very loud, annoying and very disruptive verbal tic. (Think throat clearing loud enough to hurt your ears within 3 feet of her). So we are switching to Strattera to try it and we'll see. The Ritalin was pretty good though, she complained of stomach pain sometimes and I think that was the medicine. But overall, no weight loss (just smaller gains than prior on the growth chart but it remained consistant) normal growth rate, appetite was less so for lunch but good the rest of the day. She did SO much better in school and her ability to concentrate when it was working was great. An overall good improvement, but the tic thing was an overwhelming side effect that was detrimental to school and social situations. I think the tic was brought out from stress, but, am not sure. I'm hoping she will do good on the Strattera, but it bothers me there is no other way to treat this that doesn't involve potentially mood altering drugs.....

Related Reading: ritalin la | strattera | ritalin

Comment from: Robin, 7-12 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: April 07

It helps my son concentrate better during school but by the time he gets home, it wears off and then we spend 3 hours doing homework that should take only 30 minutes. So I have to give him a 5mg pill to help through homework and then doesn't want to go to bed and doesn't sleep well.

Comment from: 3-6 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 20

My daughter has been taking this medication for about 6 weeks. The difference in her school performance is amazing. She can stay on task much better and her socialization has improved greatly. The only side effect so far is she gets very emotional in the late afternoon(crying/whinning), but this seems to be improving somewhat. We are pleased with this medication as our first ADHD med.

Comment from: [email protected], 3-6 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 23

My 6yr.old son has been on this medication for a week now and seems to be doing ok. a lot better than he did on vyvanse. the only side effect I see is that at lunch time he does not eat. so far so good. no depression no insomnia no crying.(all with which we had with vyvanse).

Related Reading: depression | insomnia

Comment from: GoGoSarah, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

Love It! It is the miracle drug that I have always needed but when younger refused, if only I knew! I can focus now more then ever. I once was not able to study with ANY noise around and now the TV can be on no problem. I was on 10 mg twice a day and now I'm at 20mg. I do not have any side effects other than great energy and the ability to focus on homework and work. Its great it has improved every aspect of my life. I am careful of not taking it 3 hours before bed because it does take me about 5 minutes longer to fall asleep. Drink a pop around the peek of my medicine working has helped an nervous feeling that I have. With that in mind this helps me have all the positives and none of the negatives of the drug. If your thinking about taking this drug, just do it becuase you will never regret this.

Comment from: Jimrobert, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 01

I began taking this medicine when I was about 17(20 now) and I would be very careful giving this medicine to younger children. It alters your personality as well as helping you focus and stay on track with your activities. It does not substitute for a good work ethic or diligence however, those skills must be trained not drugged. This medicine does give an extreme drop off after approximately 6 hours after the dosage and is rather rough on one mentally. Almost as if you were watching one channel of tv and suddenly someone else grabs the remote and switches channels without your control. I felt I needed to post because I read of so many VERY young children being given this powerful drug and I believe that discipline must first be attempted before jumping into giving your 5 year old drugs.

Comment from: pawprints1959, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 20

This medication has made a tremendous difference in my life. I was diagnosed at 45 years old with ADHD and wonder how much better my life could have been if I'd been diagnosed as a child!

Comment from: mariecopage, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 28yrs old and I been on this medication for about three years now,yeah it help a lot, I kept my job finally for 4 years and I was able focus on school, this medication was a miracle to me! so I thought. I am on 30miligrams a day and it seems that my body has been reacting different towards it.I think I'm getting immune to the drug, I find myself emotionally unstable,and lately I have really bad ticks,prickling and my thumbs and my focus has been off as well. It's scary because I really want to get off of it before things get worse, the only thing stopping me is school, I worry that I will be completely off focus and I wont be able to finish school. Today I didn't take it and i was in a great mood, normally when I'm on it I am depressed and guarded. I really don't know what to do from here.

Related Reading: ticks

Comment from: sharkfit, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 06

This medication has worked very well! I am 36 years old and I have finally been able to keep the same job(going on 5 years) I used to get 2 or 3 speeding tickets a month. I have not received a single one since I started taking ritalin 5 years ago!

Related Reading: ritalin

Comment from: Over40momma, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: May 18

My daughter has been on Ritalin LA for six years. Started with 5mg back in 6th grade and has slowly increases dosage over the years. She just recently went to 30 mg. She gets good grades in school and is able to focus, but she notices that she is quieter in school while on it. The days she forgets to take it the "real" her comes out and she is talkative and fun to be around. She does, however, get "C" grades on those days. Since switching to 30mg she has been moodier, more irritable, and she cries more easily. These are heightened on the weekends when she usually sleeps too late to take it. Her boyfriend says she has less emotion and doesn't have an interest in things. She also has a lot of headaches. I think we may have to switch her medication. It's unfortunate that in order to focus and do well in school she has to take something that keeps her true personality from showing. Have others experienced any of these symptoms? I do have to say that children as young as 5/6 shouldn't be on this medication unless they are completely out of control in school. And they should never need medication at that age just to get through homework. and it shouldn't be needed in order for them to do homework. Homework at that age isn't necessary.

Related Reading: ritalin la

Comment from: Al442, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 10

Prescribed to help me pass my Engineering exams. Although I give it great reviews, its more for what its not prescribed for than what it is. I got A's and B's in Calculus 1,2,3, Physics 1,2, and Chemistry 1,2 sequence plus Diff EQ. But, this drug will make you want to have sex all day and it is a distraction. Its almost painful how the mind will not deviate from this topic. Also, when the drug wears off many people feel "nervous" but in my opinion this is when you can get the most work done because whatever you focus on will be worked on, you just have to ignore the depression or jitters. Do not take this drug everyday! I took 30mg capsule about once a week and the mind really doesn't stop racing for about a week. You can sleep about 24 hours after taking a 30mg capsule, but the mind seems to remember how to function correctly well after that. One final note is that when the drug does wear off, waking up is very very difficult, but sleeping is very enjoyable.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: ldybug4805, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 27

I have ADD without the hyperactivity for 20 years and ritalin has been the only medicine thats worked but the 24 hour pill has moe extreme side effects.

Published: February 15

My dr. prescribed this for a deep fatigue due to pain and depression and it has done a very good job reducing the fatigue. I have had some shakes from it, but not too bad

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: tpgriffin, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: September 24

This medication has greatly helped my son with his mental disorder. He is such a better person.

Comment from: coolaunt2, on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 29

I just started the IC Methylphenidate 40 mg today is there anything I should be looking out for side effect wise ? I was on 54 mg Concerta but the cost was to high

Related Reading: methylphenidate | concerta

Comment from: Flemdog, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 26

Started taking in Grade 3 and then switched to concerta, bad mistake got very agressive and tertorial, attack my sister for no reason and got for angry over some like food not perfect, which is the complete opposite of me, then switched back to ritialin and everything has been good, I still get C grades but, a lot better when I'm on ritilin.

Related Reading: concerta

Comment from: Goofy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 24

Helped me zero in and fix what ADHD took from my life.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 12

I started this medication three days ago. Although it works just as well as shorter dose, I find that when it wears off, I have a drop off ... sadness is the best way to describe it. The information that came with it did not mention this issue, but things I have read since mention the possibility.

Comment from: smokinjj, 65-74 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 25

I take Ritalin LA for Narcolepsy. Other medications were tried; Provigil put me to sleep for 14 hours. I took Provigil twice - the Docs had trouble understanding. Ritalin LA works for me. I take 60 mg each morning & live a normal life; without it, nothing is normal

Related Reading: ritalin la | narcolepsy | provigil

Comment from: Cherry Ann, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

Only been on it for a month. It seems to be okay; although I start going down hill around 3:00PM. Was on Provigil, 300 mg, for years and it too stopped providing help with my fatigue & tasking (Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis). What is the maximum dosage for MS patient on Ritalin LA. Oh, by the way... it works great for my tasking problem.

Related Reading: fatigue | multiple sclerosis

Comment from: sunshine 01, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 06

I have a sleep disorder not helped by Provigil, but 15 mg of Ritalin in the am then again around 4pm worked well. Dr. switched me and after 2 days of the new capsule, it is easier, but not nearly as effective. It seems to wear off early in the day (like 5pm) and leaves me exhausted during a usually productive time of my day -when my child goes to bed. Unless this is going to kick in better in a few days, I want to go back to the regular pills. This capsule also takes an hour to kick in, and the pills only 30 to 40 minutes.

Related Reading: ritalin

Comment from: heaven, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 23

i have Hashomoto's thyroiditis and now being tryed on Ritalin due to I had 18 out of 20 question. But now they increased my does to 20mg, and I'm speeding. Lost 3 pounds in the last 4 days. Heart rate 130+, it runs 90 anyway.But this is crazy, and I feel like i'm running 100. No one can tell the differnce, other than I'm hyper.

Related Reading: thyroiditis

Comment from: Julian, 13-18 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 27

ADD

Comment from: m5sx80, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: May 01

Afternoonand evening symptoms return