Roxicodone

Comment from: armyssg, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 10

Hello I used to be in the Army but had to retire due to debilitating pain suffered from a back injury. I went from civilian doctors to the ones at the VA hospital. Am I EVER glad I did that, because now I am getting the relief I need. I take 4 15 mg oxycodone 4 times a day, and I cannot believe how much more I can do with my life. I just wanted to say on here that there is a BIG difference between addiction and TOLERANCE. Yes we are ALL physically addicted because thats the way opiates work. Unfortunately, your body does become accustomed to the drug and you become physically addicted to the meds. But when you require more, it is NOT because you WANT more, but your body has built up a TOLERANCE to the drug, meaning you need more after a while for the drug to work as effectively as what you are used to. It DOES not mean you are an addict, just you need more to achieve the same effect. Don't feel bad people; we are not these raving addicts needing a fix, we need the drugs for the relief of our pain. No matter what anyone says about you, they have NO clue what you and I are going through. If you are taking the medications as prescribed, and have documented proof of your ailment, then you are a law abiding citizen and are doing NOTHING wrong. I have been called an addict more times than I can remember, because people are just so uneducated about pain meds and why people take them. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. I am sure that like most of you, if there was a fix to our pain through surgery or other means, we would not need the meds, true? It's these idiots that abuse their medications that make those of us taking them for a valid reason, a drug "addict". Don't listen to them. You are taking them for the right reasons, and it is unfortunate that many doctors today will not prescribe pain medications out of fear their patients will abuse them. It is not fair to deny those that truly need them simply because the doctor had those types of patients!

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 08

I have used all the RX pain medications in the market (Opioid and non-opioid) and right now a combination of Oxycontin and Roxicodone has given my life back to me I'm 98% pain-free all day. I use the Roxicodone 30mg every 6 hours for breakthrough pain and it works in 20 minutes and you can feel its full effect in 1 hour and its a superb pain-killer, opioid analgesic; I use a lot oxycodone - Oxycontin and Roxicodone 240mg a day, so I do have side effects mild to moderate sedation and moderate constipation are my two main complaints but otherwise it's a Godsend. I was previously using Fentanyl Patches 75Micrograms and Oxycodone IR 30mg for breakthrough pain but I wasn't getting enough pain relief so my doctor switched me to Avinza and liquid morphine but had a lot of severe side effects and finally after trying 2 other medications I was put on Oxycontin & Roxicodone and that does the job(Pain Relief). Sometimes I do use a muscle relaxers like Soma, Valium, or Ativan (Lorazepam), (those three work best for me) together with the Oxycontin and Roxicodone and that adds more pain relief. So if everything fails I would strongly recommend the oxycodone in the form of Roxicodone alone or for severe pain Roxicodone with Oxycontin; just find a doctor that listens, cares, and will help you with your pain. Please take it as prescribed if its not working well or as desired tell your doctor! At first I was given small doses but after 4 months I was on the dose that I am on right now so be as patience with your doctor and with the medications. Give it a couple of weeks to work and make sure your at the appropriate dose for your pain level, liver/kidney function, age, and individual case. If your not happy with your pain level and/or your doctor keep looking for a different one never give up, eventually you'll find one that will help you! Never lose hope or give up. Good luck, God Bless and hope this helps.

Related Reading: oxycontin | roxicodone | constipation

Comment from: dan , 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 19

Hi, I'd like to start off by telling you I am 22 take this medication for chronic pain (8 herniated and 6 bulging discs from a car accident, football injuries, and working construction for 8 years). I am prescribed 30mg Oxycodone HCL 7x/day and it has been a lifesaver for me. It has changed my life and enabled me to go back to college and it has kept me from bedresting. It almost completely numbs out my pain and I'm not going to lie compared to hydromorphone (dilaudid) it gives me a feeling of euphoria to go with my pain relief. The only downside is the addiction potential that comes with taking the medication for chronic pain. I would only recommend it to people with chronic conditions and only if nothing else works. Side effects for me are constipation and nausea when I first started using the drug. If you are prescribed the drug or are thinking about asking your doctor for it to help with your chronic condition, make sure to get as much info on it as you can and do read the information paper that comes with the prescription at the pharmacy so you know what you are putting in your body. Just remember it is one of the strongest narcotics out there so make sure the benefits (helping you deal with your chronic pain) outweigh the risks (addiction and other health hazards). Good luck with keeping your pain tolerable and I hope this review helped.

Related Reading: oxycodone | hydromorphone | dilaudid

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 20

i have tried every drug there is and this drug by far worked the best for me

Comment from: ekitchen6, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 07

As with any opiate pain med they are effective. I have degeneration of multiple vertibrae and several pins plates and screws in my back and shoulder from an atv accident. Before taking this medication I was miserable, irritable and basically nonfunctional. As a father of 2 and a husband this medication has given my life back to me as far as being able to participate in family functions and everyday life. Your body does however build a tolerance rather quickly if not taken as prescribed but is effective if not abused. I have to say the negative effects of addiction and high tolerance come no where close to the positive outcome of taken this medication. I cannot speak for everyone but have to say that it has given me my life back and no longer have to feel severe pain, depression, and guilt when my children ask to play or swim or go riding 4-wheelers. I will take the chance of the side-effects over not being a father to my children or a husband to my wife. You will know if you are going to have issues with abuse early from this medication cause it come on quick and can if not controlled last a lifetime and will lose everything. You, yourself have to decide what is more important. Your family or a medication that alot of people take even though they do not need it. There is a happy median of prescribed medication and a family life. Myself have been given a second chance of life because of this medication. If you have issues have someone help with the despencing of the medication so you don't run out. The withdrawls a miserable and debilitating themselves not to mention the increase of your pain by 100 percent. So be responsible and remember you have a choice, make the right one. Thank you

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: bojangles, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 21

i currently use this med as a breakthrough pain med. i use 30mg on an average of 5 to 6 times a day between my oxycontin 60 mg doses every 6 to 8 hours. yes that kinda seems like alot of med for a 31 year old married father of 3, but let me tell you something after that 7,800lb forklift ran into me not once but twice pinning me between a trailer and a 4500 lb pallet this breakthrough med has been like "and father forgive me, but its like god actually came down and meet me face to face" i developed rsd and crps along with many herniated disks and a fractured vertibrate. just the oxy alone even if i had 10 a day there was still that need for the extra round in the middle. kinda like a seventh inning stretch only 5 of them. so shame on the scum bag drug addicts or normal people who use it just to cope with problems in there pretty little lives and use it just to get "high" because there the ones who seriously make it hard to get and make us look like felons when all were doing is just trying to live a normal life. i can now have a football catcth out front with my 9 year old boy. its only 15 20 min at a time but its the world to him thanks for reading and god bless pain management doctors who actually take time to listen to there patience and not just the words i need pills..... god bless all

Related Reading: oxycontin | pain management

Comment from: Freedom1960, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 04

This is a great drug for people like me who have many different painfull diseases, such as RA,DDD,Fibromyalgia, and many disc and nerve root problems in my back from the DDD:(herniations,protrusions,etc.) I must also educate the person who was satisfied with the drug and warned of dependency, but used the word addiction, which you shouldn't if it is merely dependency. This person also stated and I quote: "it has Heroin in it" which it certainly doesn't. It is a different drug altogether. Herion is closer to morphine,which takes about 1.3 times the amount to do the same job and have the same pain treatment effectiveness as Roxicodone. I just had to add that as I wouldn't want people to believe this error. I am also not trying to be flippant or derogatory towards this person, but as far as I know, we don't use Heroin legally, except in one form of rarely used morphine. But over all this is the most effective pain control drug i've taken, and besides Opana and Fentenyl, I have use just about all others with less effectiveness than Roxi. It's a great drug! I've been taking narcotics for my pain for 10 years straight, and often before that, for the 5-7 years before that in fact.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | morphine | roxicodone

Comment from: bram, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 14

With this drug I now have a life! It's wonderful. I have to ask Why do you get all these dirty looks at the pharmacy? They look at you likea criminal.

Comment from: Joe13, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 18

It is my understanding that this is the safest pain medication available. I have severe liver damage and this is the only drug they can prescribe. Works very well the first 6 months then you build a tolerance and the dose has to be raised or you have to take a short time off. Idiots abusing the medication have gave it a bad stigma and can be hard to get. Best there is at this point.

Related Reading: liver

Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths See Slideshow
Comment from: carpenter, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 30

I first started taking pain pills back in 1975 after a very serious cycle accident. Started off with the more tolerant meds like darvocet loratabs..ect. But there are several issues that I believe are most important thing that I most peoplemay not realize. Bones may break, legaments get torn and dislocations occur. But what does'nt EVER leave is the fact that though you might think that you are healed, but comes back in later years as arthritis, fibromalgy... So people start taking pills that are prescribed by people we are suppose to trust with are health and well being. Our PCP or pain management physician to give us treatment, therapy and if all else fails , surgery. In the meantime we are given stronger doses of pain pills that eventually become ineffective. I am currently on 30mg Roxicodone times 3 per day. Now I am dealing with a pill that is no longer effective after over a year of use and having grown a dependancy for these pills. I can certainly understand how EASY it is to abuse these pills, I mean how often does anyone of us stick precisely to the script order? People here are dying at a rate of 7 per day here in Florida from fatal drug overdose. Whose to say which one of these addicts were LEGALLY allowed to take these pills, whom with proper physician diagnosis missed on the telltale signs of abuse. I part I take responsibility for what I take medicinally. However those PHYSICIANS whose only concern is to PAD there bank account through Medicare and Medicade patients, should be held accountable. It is my hope that one DAY either on a state or Federal level that specific LAWS and proceedures be put in place that were create a treatment plan that would focus on the patient than on having all these pharmacuticals and pain clinics reap all this money from patients who continue to suffer.

Related Reading: arthritis | pain management | roxicodone

Comment from: BigT, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 04

If i take too much i get alot of itching and it affects my breathing a little. Be very careful if you have allergies or asthma like conditions triggered by stress, allergy episodes or taking too many of these. I recommend to new users to get the 15mg especially when driving. After 6 months you will be use to them and can use the 30mg ones. My biggest cautions to everyone is to watch your respiratory functions and try not to take too many as they are very addictive. I developed a high level of tolerance to them in as short as 6 months. I recommend switching to Dilaudid 8mg tablets for a few months once you feel you have this high tolerance. I also recommend not to take the Oxycontin or Oxycodone ER unless it's 20mg tablets or less as those are twice as addictive and time release. Make sure to eat food since it makes the medicine last longer and be careful driving. My last caution is don't share these with anyone since they can be very harmful and even giving someone 1 pill is a felony!

Related Reading: asthma | stress | allergy

Comment from: singleblonde, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 09

i just wanted to say this med is amazing. before i suffered with an extreme amount of pain due to a messed up back going on 15yrs from a car accident..anyway, this is good stuff but there are some drawbacks to this medication as in once you start taking it you can't just feel better and then decide not to take it that day, your body reminds you, that you haven't taken it and it can make you feel really awful. otherwise, this stuff works...by the way, you can be phyiscally addicted w/o being mentally addicted..i think that every person taking this that doesn't abuse the med. is physically addicted and unfortunately there is no way around this..i just wish they could come up with something new that would relieve pain but that you didn't have to depend on even if you're having a good day...

Comment from: Dowork2011, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 19

I have been on 30 mg oxycodone for 5 years due to a back injury and was being prescribed 7 a day. Well this month my Dr. decreased me to 6 a day. He said the DEA put a cap on how many pills doctors in Florida can prescribe. He said 180 a month is the cap. Does anyone know if this is true?????????????????

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: v.j, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 30

roxycodone works very well for my back and leg pain. my pain is severe,but well controlled when used properly. it is very important not to take more than you need. you will get hooked,and drs will cut you off if they think you are abusing the medicine. it is no fun withdrawing from it. take my advice and dont increase your tollarance! it will stop working like you want it to.so be carfull!

Comment from: danosr47, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 13

The only way I have complete pain management is to use the Brand name version of this medication. I have found that one certain Generic Brand of Oxycodone manufactured by Qualitest Pharm. is a 0 pain reliever.

Related Reading: oxycodone

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 06

It has been an outstanding pain medication for my back knees hips and shoulders.I tolerate and function very well on this medication.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 02

when i first started this medication i got excelent results. however as time went on.i found that i didnt get as much relief as i did originaly.also having no medical insurance the cost can range from 1 dollar apiece upwards to 7 dollars for no reason except illegal price gouging that the goverment should have some control over!

Comment from: HeelToHeal, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 02

I broke my heel in 5 places 8 years ago followed by 6 surgeries, including a triple fusion. I was told in the ER that I suffered a "life changing incident" and they were right. I never imagined so many years of pain. I've taken Vicodin, Percocet, and now Roxy. Guess what? I'm also now a drug addict. Most of us 'reviewers' are. We use pain meds for two reasons: to help our pain AND satisfy our addictions. Oxycodone is actually just synthetic heroin. No wonder it works so well. I'm honest with myself after I've had my fix.

Related Reading: vicodin | percocet | oxycodone

Comment from: nervepain 19, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 01

I have been on this drug for awhile, what happened was I went to the Oral Surgeon to have a tooth extracted so I could get a implant, well the Dr. hit my left lingular nerve with the needle and severed it in half, the pain I had was so bad . It felt like I had a clothes pin on my tongue with someone holding a match on it 24/7. I went every where to find someone to treat this injury, well I finally found a pain specialist in the Chicago area that designed a Pain Pump that is inserted inside me, the box "pump" is inserted by my waist line and then I have tubes running up my side, under my chin with a catheter that administers the med's that are in pump. The med's are Novocaine and Hydromorphone. When I have break through pain is when I use the Oxycodone, it works well. With all the med's that I have tried before the pump the Oxy worked the best. This has been a life changing experience , I have had to quit my job, because it required a lot of talking and I just could not do it anymore, I worked there for 10 yrs, and I have not worked since. My injury happened in Oct.2007 my last day of work March 2009. I'm writing this because I wonder if anybody else has ever had this happen. I have No taste buds, my left side of my face is numb, I can not chew with out having pain. I'm one in 5000 that this could happen to, if any body has ever heard of this please let me know I would like to talk to them because I feel like I'm all alone in this, it is very depressing, which I take like 4 other med's for nerve pain and depression.

Related Reading: hydromorphone | depression

Comment from: Mackpain, Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 05

I'm a 44 year old male I have been taking roxy's now for 6- months.. They have gave me my life back.. Before I was on ms contin, opana, They just made me sick when I took them.. The roxy's Have been a life saver.. I take 30mg. twice a day, also lortab 10/500 3 times a day, And as needed soma 350mg most of the time I will take those at bedtime.. I wanted to tell MacAttack I read your comment I can feel for you they have done the same for me. he pharmacy treats you like a junkie, or like you said they never have what you take... My Doc. called them and wellll let's just say the now have my meds.. My back is so screwed up ddd. since 2000, spinul stenosis my disc. from cervical to lumbar are a joke.... The injections do not help.. Maybe that first day but after that it's over.. My e-mail is [email protected] Good luck to everyone.........

Related Reading: opana | lortab 10 | soma

Comment from: TiffanysHope23, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: December 30

Well about 2 years ago i had my daughter by c-section n she had a lot of problems so i went to the other hospital where she was without my pain meds. from the doctor well my friend gave me like 8-10 of the roxys and i was taking them for my pain but then when i ran out i realize i needed more or else i would be VERY VERY sick! so i did them everyday for about a year and a half then i lost everything to my drug addiction EVEN my own daughter!!! Yes i do agree that thid med. does work for real pain but do not abuse it or you will def. loose your life even the most important things to you. I got my daughter back and now i am clean and i have my daughter to remind me of what i once lost but now have back!!

Comment from: knowfromexpierence25, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 09

This medication is meant for a person with cronic pain. It is very addicting and if you abuse it it can cause permanent damage or even death.The withdraws are the worst i've ever had and wish i would of never agreed to start on them.Im dependent on them now and cant even get through a day if i dont have them.My advise is if you can get by with a different medication then do it and never start on roxy's. I've personaly seen it ruin many lives.

QUESTION

Medically speaking, the term "myalgia" refers to what type of pain? See Answer
Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 22

even though people beleive they can take this medication for years and decide when they want to stop,... thats just a dream. This is the most addictive medication i have ever taken. Ive been to medical detox 3 times and when its all over, about 7 days, when u go home u still have major withdrawls, pretty much suicidal at times. DONT TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 03

ive been takin hydrocodone for 10 months and it was working like it use to,i have severe lower back paindo to an injury,the doc swiched me to roxicodone (oxycodone)it helps with pain better but it wears off fast and creates extreme dizziness and very difucult to use while working,interferes with your concentration and coordination be very careful you shouldnt drive.

Related Reading: hydrocodone | roxicodone | oxycodone

Comment from: dakota54, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 08

I have Fibromyalgia. My doctor presribed Oycodone 5 mmg. bid as need for breakthorouh pain. The medicacation is ineffective in resolving my pain, diffult to take and in m opinion I feel the the dosage sshoud be incresed. I also have neuropatic pain; this medication doesn't even hhave any effect on that pain. Believe me when I say a lot of pain. I'm getting to the point of almost losing y mind due to how much pain I endure every day of my life for 7 years now with an incurabule disorer/disease! Any suggestions?

Related Reading: fibromyalgia