Rythmol

Comment from: winemaker, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 19

This drug has helped control my A-fib. However upon trying the generic, I did have 3 bouts of A-fib. My cardiologist put me back on the regular Rythmol. Sense then, I have been fine. Just an occasional flutter.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 04

Have had cardioversion on two occasions. The last one used Rythmol and then electrical cardioversion. I have had no atrial fib since then. Have regained strength and feel like a new person.

Comment from: Mike from Essex, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 30

I am 60, male and have had 4 cardioversions for paroxsymal irregular heartbeat. Once it slips into irregularity it doesn't return to sinus rhthmn and it would mean waiting months for a cardioversion, taking nasty Amiodorone and Warfarin in the meantime. I heard about Rhythmol from one of these AF feedback sites and asked to try it as a pill-in-the-pocket treatment. The cardiologist also changed my beta blocker to Sotalol (40 mg - low dose) from Atenolol (50 mg). Now I find that the new Beta Blocker prevents arrythmia quite effectively. I can drink weak alcoholic drinks again but I still avoid caffeine. I still get an episode about twice per month which usually correlates to doing something that exerts me or is stressful. When it happens, usually in the night, I take one 300 mg Rythmol tablet and by morning I am back in sinus rhthmn. Occasionally I have had to take a second tablet later in the day to achieve the same affect. So I have one drug to prevent it (Sotalol) and one drug to cure it (Rhythmol). I also take a magnesium tablet every other day. I can't tell if this contributes or not, but I started taking it at the same time as starting these two new drugs, so, with the result I am getting I am continuing with it. I consider myself extremely lucky to have found this combination. I get no side effects. I was very gloomy about my quality of life previously but now I am completely positive again. I wish the hospital had suggested this combination six years ago, but it might be that it doesn't work for everyone.

Related Reading: warfarin | sotalol | atenolol

Comment from: dessiesnana, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 24

Am in my mid 50's and have had cronic A-Fib since Thanksgiving 2006 and had episodes on an average of every 2 weeks or so. Always resulted in a 2-3 day stay in CCU. My heart was not responding to other medications given to me for treating this or the other medications prescribed had severe side effects. My cardologist started me on this medication over a year ago. Since taking this for the past year I have only had 1 recent A-Fib episode that corrected itself after about an hour and a half. This medication has helped me tremendously and improved the quality of my daily life. The only side effect I have experienced with this is occasional mild dizziness and a very light fluttering sensation in my chest for a couple of seconds that usually occurs about an hour or so after taking it. My only concern is that I read it can loose its effectiveness over time. I hope this is not the case.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: lodalyn, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 03

since I started taking rythmol food has lost its taste also I have this body odor thats driving me crazy I also started taking coumidin at the same time could these be causing the gas and body odor that I have?

Related Reading: rythmol

Comment from: Marion, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 26

At first, things tasted a little weird especially when drinking milk. I have had no problems with my irregular heart beat since I started this medication. Sometimes I do feel a little weird and anxious. I had irregular heartbeats for the past 6 years. It happened in 04', then again four years later. Then it started coming frequently but for only about four to five minutes. The last time it happened is when I woke up from my sleep to find my heart beating more than 200 beats per minute. I had to go to the hospital, I was really scared about what was happening. But I have adapted a sinus infection while taking this drug. I do not know if it was from the medication or not. I can actually smell the infection in my nose when I breath through it. I also have some severe headaches and pains in parts of my head that do worry me though. But my heart has been at normal rate.

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: Frenchy, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 12

I suffered through atrial fibulation for over a year. In that time I had 2 cardio conversions.However, I only was able to remain in normal rhythm for 2 weeks, at the most. My cardiologist referred me to an electrophysiologist who decided that I was a candidate for cardiac ablation. I ultimately had 5 ablations and after the fifth one, which was in May of 2007 and was put on 325mg of rythmol twice a day. I did go into atrial fibulation in January of 2008 and had to have another cardio conversion, which was successful! I have feeling terrific and am thrilled to have my "life back".

Comment from: b251943, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 28

I was diagnosed with atrial fib when I was 40. I am now 60. I started with 150mg then had to move to 225mg. In about 1997 my afib went out of control and my doctor tried different meds which didn't work. I suggested "Let's try 300mg." The doctor RX'd 300 which works very well. If you stress out or work long hours you can set off an episode of afib which has happened to me several times for 20 minutes. It is an excellent drug that makes my quality of life. Without it, I would be in bed because of dizziness, passing out etc. The other medications have severe side effects such as liver damage. I have to take a lot of meds and it works well without side effects with other medications.

Related Reading: stress | dizziness | liver

Comment from: pj, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 20

A-fib episodes since 1993. Periods where there were several short episodes (less than 6 hours) per week to other periods where the episodes could last for 5 days. Stopped Rhythmol for a while and things got worse. Back on it and improvement immediate. About 18 months ago doc put me on time release and I have not had an episode since.

Comment from: JFerg, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: August 31

I have been on this medication for 2 years this Labor Day for A-Fib. Have had a few episodes of recurrence but none in the last 6 mos. An EKG done every 3 months, so far so good. Exercise daily for 50mins on stationary bike and cut down on alcohol consumption greatly. Have slight dizziness from time to time but no other side effects. Only other item of note is trying not to think about it too much.

Comment from: LindyLu, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had episodes of AFib for over 30 years. Have been on Inderal, Amiodarone, Sotalol and now Rythmol. On Rythmol for a little over two weeks. Have had 4 episodes. 1st one was bad. Almost called 911. Lasted 4 hr., next one 2 hrs, then 1/2 hr. and last night 15 min. I'm hoping that I won't have anymore, but I'm not too optimistic. These are terrible. I take a 40 mg Inderal and a Lorazepam when having an episode. It takes awhile to kick in. I wish I knew of a combination of drugs that I could take that would prevent me from having any more episodes. I guess my next thing is an Ablation. I really dread that, but if it works it would be worth it.

Related Reading: inderal | amiodarone | sotalol

Comment from: Ed, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 12

rythmol was the pill in pocket I would take after I got an a-fib episode while on CC blocker or beta blocker meds daily. I've been on rythmol on a daily basis and it seems quite effective. However ... taking this med leaves me with with a persistent horrible taste on my tongue.

Related Reading: rythmol

Comment from: luvingrand, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 03

I started having A-Fib 6years ago. At first did'nt know what was going on. I would only have a irregular heart about everyother week. To the point that I would pass out. Once I was on interstate going 70 and had a really bad one. I seen a cardiologist and was sent to a specialist and had a heart ablation done. The irregular rate wasn't captured during the ablation but was preformed then was put on 150mg 4x daily. It has helped me..still have a flutter now and then but nothing like before.

Comment from: ask77, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 05

I have had many years of in and out of Atrial Fibrillation and many cardio conversion and two ablation. My medicine was changed 3 months ago and have not had any spells even in anxiety situations. I have been on Flecainide for several years but now on Rythmol. Also I was taken of the Beta Blockers and put on Verapamil. This combination has worked well with me. I do have side effects from the Rythmol like blurred vision, water retention, muscle pain and constipation. I guess I have to accept the side effects to have relief from Atrial Fibrillation.

Related Reading: atrial fibrillation | anxiety | flecainide

Comment from: alinah, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 30

Rythmol works ro me for 27 years 2 x 225mg excellent medication.

Related Reading: rythmol

Comment from: Blam36@AOL.com, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 25

I have used the drug for at least six months it seems to work except there have been times when the atrial fibrellation has over ridden the effect of the drug usually when I have exerted my self or in one case for no apparent reason my heart rate went up and I experience an extra heart beat also I feel that I have been effected by the side effects of drowsiness, weakness dizziness but I am not sure that Rythmol is the cause,

Related Reading: dizziness | rythmol

Comment from: patricia, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 24

Alleviates heart arrythmia significantly. If I forget to take it my heart reminds me by bumping like an artillery wagon on a rocky road.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 16

three doses a day is hard to do. I need to be able to take it twice.

Comment from: Candy in SC, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 27

Have tried every drug out there. This one works OK. Have had one ablation, getting ready for 2nd. Does it seems ablation is the only answer or is it just me? I really don't think any drug helps AF. Just get an ablation and get it over with. It's really not all that bad!

Comment from: Sharon, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 27

I have gone through atrial fib off and on for almost 2 years now and have been on rythmol for a little over 6 months. Unfortunately I have experienced major headaches and dizziness and have cut the dosage down resulting in more a-fib. I am now scheduled for the catheter ablation in mid-January. Scared? Yes!! Praying it works the first time.

Related Reading: rythmol

Comment from: ncgirl321, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 19

I have had episodes of A-Fib for 7 years. The longest I went between epsiodes was 2 years. Recently,I had an ablation done on the left side for flutter. The rythmol kept the A-Fib in check and allowed the flutter to surface so they could stop it. Wonderful procedure and non invasive. Went home the next day. Have been very pleased with the Rythmol results. I have been able to resume my very physial lifestyle and I am 60 years old.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 22

I was in AF several times a day but since I have been placed on 225mg three times per day, I have been feeling great. Only rarely do I have an AF episode. I have been on it about 1 year.

Comment from: Trip lover, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 22

I was diagnosed with A-Fib over 5 years ago. I started out Rythmol 325 and now I take Rythmol 425SR twice a day. This drug has worked for me and I haven't gone into A-Fib for over a year now. I have not had the ablation - it was talked about early on but my doctor stated that the percent for effectiveness is about 70% right now so I opted to keep trying medicine. I have had no side effects and feel great. I've lost some weight, started eating healthier and do some walking every day which I feel has also helped me out.

Comment from: Tommyboy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 19

I started taking Rythmol in July of 2008. I had been diagnosed in February of 2008 with very severe cardiac myopathy, enlarged heart, CHF, A-fib. I was told that my only hope was a heart transplant. After an electric cardioversion and some rate control meds, I came out of a-fib and stayed out until July. I was put on Rhthmol and Metoprolol. I was on Rhthmol SR, and was back in rhythm after a week. I now use the generic, propafenone. 150 mg 2 x day. I am supposed to be taking in 3 x day, but I try to limit it, and I am able to stay in rhythm. I do have occasional instances of A-fib, but i just start taking the third dose that I should be taking, and I am back in rhythm within 24 hours. I also take Metoprolol ER 50 MG 1 x day, and a baby aspiring once a day. Rythmol has been very good at keeping me in rhythm, but it does make me tired, along with the Metoprolol. Overall, it works very well, and I am so grateful that it keeps me in rhythm. I am going to look at having an ablation, however, because I am only 48, and I know it hinders me to be on rythmol.

Comment from: Benlea, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 09

Combined with one other medication, this is the best I've felt so far.

FDA Logo