Salagen

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Salagen oral pills to counteract dry mouth and a persistent cough I may have developed as a side-effect of anti-depressive medications. It did moisten my mouth and throat, but I found that it also caused me to sweat profusely. I also found the amount of saliva that built up in my mouth was slightly uncomfortable, and I had to swallow a lot more than usual. As I was taking this medication while working full-time in an office, I found the sweating to be distracting to me, and off-putting to some co-workers, with whom I generally did not share my condition(s). So the medication did do what it claimed to do, but I found it not to be a useful medication for my particular symptoms and needs.

Related Reading: salagen | dry mouth | cough

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 03

Prescribed by dentist to counteract dry mouth caused by Zoloft (sertraline) taken before sleeping, Pilocarpine did reduce the dry mouth effect, but it had a side effect of "stealth" diarrhea: liquid with flatulence.

Related Reading: zoloft | sertraline | diarrhea

Comment from: st.leonardpatient, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been taking this medication for 1 1/2 yrs and I will often get either an abundance of saliva or it will work very little. It is not a constant, regular effect at each daily dosage.

Comment from: Lisa, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 19

The NAME brand works very well...I find that generic pilocarpine is NOT helpful in producting saliva

Comment from: midwestcore, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 05

i have found that this drug does help dry mouth, but seems to wear off to quickly after to much saliva at once. also it causes me to do crazy things when i try to go to sleep. like i will catch myself holding my breath and i also have involuntary muscle movements of my legs and arms.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 01

I take it 3 times a day and after 2 1/2 weeks I have noticed no change whatsoever.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 06

Salagen worked well for me in the beginning. It released water into my body within only a few minutes of taking the 5 mg. dosage. I started off with 3 a day and now take 5 a day starting with taking two pills first thing in the morning so that I can work out without discomfort.

Comment from: Cannot tolerate, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 08

I began taking this about 7 days ago for dry mouth from persistent thrush. prescribed 5mg 3 x daily. Have been taking 2 x daily to see how med would affect me. About 3 days ago I began to feel very agitated. I can't stop crying, everything gets on my nerves, I don't want to talk to anybody or be talked to, my heart beats fast. Not tolerating this at all. I will not be taking any more of this and will be calling my doctor 1st thing Monday morning.

Related Reading: thrush

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 25

I dont see any change in me

Comment from: RCSutton, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 15

I have a mild case of Sjogrens, and have to be careful not to take too much of this med. I find 2.5mg taken three times daily works pretty well. I do not oversalivate this way, as I can wake up choking on my own saliva at a higher dose. Had to play with it some to establish what worked best for me. Restasis drops have been a godsend for the dry eyes.

Related Reading: restasis | dry eyes

Comment from: muddling through, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 12

While it has worked for me, the sweating and chills especially at night when trying to sleep are very off-putting and I'm not sure if I'll stick with it very much longer. My eyese no longer feel like there is "something" in them and my mouth is definitely not as dry as before but the side effects are too invasive for my liking.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 06

This med has worked for me. If I take a dose before eating, I don't have to drink as much fluid with my meal. I do feel some hot flashing occassionally and I can't tolerate as much alcohol.

Comment from: 19-24 (Patient) Published: January 07

Tôi r?t mu?n mua lo?i thu?c này nhung không bi?t ? dâu bán. Tôi ? Vietnam.

Comment from: Laura Lee, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 08

It works for a few hours but effect is pretty short-term. Does cause some sweating but no other side-effects noted

Comment from: chris731, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 19

I've only been on Pilocarpine for 3 weeks. I haven't noticed that much of a difference. However, lab results show it takes at least 8 weeks for the drug to be effective. But the results show it does work. I haven't had any side effects. So I guess I will be patient for another 5 weeks.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 15

I have sjogrens and have found this medicine to be a lifesaver. Without it I can barely swallow or talk, the only disadvantage is as it wears off. If I take it 4 x's a day as perscribed I do fairly well, although I often wake up so dry I am unable to swallow, then I must take my next dose.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: October 27

I have taken this medication for 12 years, starting just before radiation therapy. It has worked extremely well for me against dry mouth symptoms. If I forget to take it I really feel the difference.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: new patient, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 15

had side effects, cramps in legs, the runs,faster heart beat.

Comment from: ImCaroleM, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 20

I have Sjogren's, Lupus & asthma. My Dr gave me Salagen to try to see if it would help my severely dry mouth & eyes. He told me to start with 1/2 tablet & warned me about side effects of possible sweating, diarrhea, headache, etc. About 3 hours after taking this 1/2 tablet I started not feeling 'ok', but thought give it time. An hour after that, my son asked me to help him with his homework - I couldn't. I HURT to think & my heart was beginning to hurt too ! My fiancee called, & I couldn't figure out how I was - I could only tell him "My my heart hurts, I don't know what to do." I know this sounds 'stupid' but I could not 'think' my brain hurt when I tried to formulate any thought - or try to determine what to do about my heart hurting - call 911, call a friend ? Will they think I'm stupid ? It took 2 days until it started to get out of my system. *Someone please tell me if they've ever heard - or had a bad reaction to Salagen themselves.

Related Reading: lupus | asthma | salagen

Comment from: momskids1968, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 19

still dry mouth

Comment from: jlb, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 07

I was prescribed this to see if it would help my dry eyes. I started off taking 2.5 one a day for a few weeks and slowly increased to 2.5 twice a day and the 5 and 2.5 each day until I now take 5 twice a day. I find this works very well for me. If I find myself really dry I will take another 5 for a day and then go back to my normal. I have not had any side effects as long as I stay at the 10.

Related Reading: dry eyes

Comment from: Male 54, 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 23

Really does produce saliva for dry mouth. Just had dental work and saliva helps mouth sores heal quicker.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: Sjorgren's patient, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 11

Issues with excessive saliva, sweating, chills and weight gain once dose was increased to 2 tablets (7.5) 3 times a day in 2013. Once the dose was cut to one tablet(7.5)three times a day sweating is tolerable, but have been unable to lose the extra weight. Has anyone experience weight gain with this medicine?

Comment from: tess, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 11

worked fine until last night. took 1 as prescribed and about an hour later I was sweating profusly, severe headache, my stomach felt like it was in knots. i hadn't eaten very much so was vomiting up bile. horrible experience. not sure if it was an interaction with any of my other drugs, my dr. says it shouldn't have been. i also take methadone for my RA. i believe i took flexeril yesterday also. bad experience now afraid to take it again.

Related Reading: headache | flexeril