Saphris

Comment from: ejom723, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 30

Have taken everything from Wellbutrin to Depakote to Tegretol and many others, nothing worked. Kind of leary when Dr. prescribed this sublingual, but the difference is amazing! I HATE the taste and when it dissolves it fills my mouth with saliva as well as numbs my tongue. I also hate having to wait ten minutes after to eat or drink. It's the worst part of my day. However, prior to starting this medicine I was constantly thinking about suicide or attempting it, my moods were all over the place with rage, impatience, and lack of motivation and I hadn't written anything worthwhile in over a year. I also was only getting about two hours of sleep a night. This medication does make me drowsy so, I take it right before I go to bed and sleep like a baby, waking up pert and perky (something that's never happened until now). No signs of depression or suicidal thoughts and I love the fact that I feel like a normal woman. It's really been a miracle for me and even my husband has noticed. I've been on this about a week, so I hope Saphris is the one for me. So far I haven't had any negative side effects.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | depakote | tegretol

Comment from: reddevil323, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 18

I just started this drug as well and when I read the review that it tasted like ass, I laughed but that was a true understatement. It burns your mouth and made me want to vomit. It better turn out to be a miracle drug for all that.

Related Reading: burns

Comment from: BPone, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 01

I’m going on three weeks now 10mg morning and night. I switched over from Seroquel XR once a day. To beat the bad taste use Listerine breath strip or mouth spray when you take it. This is a Doctor approved method. Brushing the tongue 10 min. after taking the tablet helps with the numbness of the tongue. It gets the residual medication out of your mouth as well. I still get tired about 1 hour after I take it in the morning or night. This is the same side effect I had taking Seroquel. However Seroquel knocked me out for 10 hours at night and did not affect me during work hours. Saphris only seems to make me really tired for about one hour. However I seem to have difficulty keeping my mind awake from about 9:00AM to noon. I take my pills at regular intervals: 8-9:00PM at night and 6-7:00AM in the morning.

Related Reading: seroquel xr | seroquel | saphris

Comment from: djd61, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 03

I have had Bi PolarI/mixed episodes since 2003. I have tried every possible anti-depressant marketed with the exception of a few. I had no choice but to retire from a 20 year career. After about a year with my new physc, trying basically all the new anti-depressants on the market, it would relieve some of the symptoms for a short period of time then nothing!! At last we thought we had found the right combination of meds to deal with my illness. I started taking Celexa, Lamactil, xanax and trazadone. That lasted for about 2 years then my symptoms came back with a vengance!! My doctor gave me samples of Saphris SL, discontinued the Celexa and cut my trazadone in half, they told me about the terrible taste so I was expecting that. I have been on the Saphris SL for about 4 weeks at bedtime and stopped the trazadone because the combination was so sedating. I would sleep for 2-3 hrs and wake up sometimes needing to go the the restroom and I couldn't even function, I could hardly hold my eyes open and my coordination was limited at best, much to my regret, I have turned into a monster! I have never been a violent person even with my illness. My family noticed the change in me after about 2 weeks of taking the medication and I am gaining weight rapidly and serious swelling all over. I did start to notice that pretty much anything anyone said to me made me angry. I blew it off as stress, but never have I experienced such aggitation before. I continued to take the medication for 2 more weeks trying to give it a fair shot. Last night to my horror I started throwing everything I could find at the wall!!!! I grabbed my car keys and off I went. Thankfully I arrived home safe., I knew it had to be the medication. Last night I quit taking it and will NEVER take it again. I DO NOT recommend this. Please read ALL of the reviews on this medication. If it works,I wish you the best.

Related Reading: celexa | xanax | stress

Comment from: Lucid Nightmare, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 04

I reviewed this drug once, and now am updating my recent discoveries. I have been on saphris a little over 2 and a half months. I have continued gaining weight about 20 lbs I can account to this drug. My shrink said the norm is 4 lbs. She decided to do blood work to see what could be causing this continuous weight gain. I am even taking 50 mg of adderall a day!!! WELL< my chloresteral levels were off the charts!!! I guess a good number is around 100 or so. I came in at 280!!!!!!! Somehow this mixes in with the weight gain, I don't yet know all I need to know. I am being put on an aspirin regimen and also have to take a pill to help get that level down before I have a heart attack. I have enough stress and anxiety daily and am very scared as my father had heart disease and heart attacks. I am only 34. SO PLEASE anyone trying saphris keep on top of it and get your blood levels checked. Wish you the best, Lucid

Related Reading: saphris | adderall

Comment from: puka, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 19

The taste is very nasty. I am not convinced that it is working for me because I feel worse but I will give it another day or so. It does taste very bad and then makes your tongue numb. Not good

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: October 27

Saphris works well for me. For the first time in my life I feel my sleep/wake pattern has been corrected. I can get out of bed in the morning, stay awake all day and fall asleep in 15-30 min. It quiets my racing, obsessional thoughts and stops the suicidal thoughts. Now I can concentrate on talk therapy and having a life! I still have too strong of an appetite so it hasn't corrected that. I also still feel some depression, lack of drive and low energy. Psych has prescribed 10 mg. of Prozac to help me out, especially since I just lost a beloved pet. Saphris is not a magic bullet, but I find it effective with few side effects. I hope the effectiveness doesn't wear off! It works for me, but may not work for you. Don't give up and don't wait to get help. Be patient and find out what drug works for you and stay on it long enough to let it work.Good Luck!

Related Reading: saphris | depression | prozac

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 20

Saphris for me has been a gift from God. Nothing else seems to work on my irritability and aggression and even my family has commented that it has made a great difference in how I relate to people. The black cherry version is much better than the original in taste and I dont think my tongue stings for as long.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 15

I have gained 30+ pounds within a few months of use my sex drive in non existent and it tastes horrible and made my tongue numb everytime I took it. I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night. It makes me tired i feel like doing nothing and my anger has gotten worse I just flip out for no reason sometimes or vice versa I will be sad for no apparent reason. All in all it hasnt been the worst drug I have taken but it certainly isn't the best either. So if your over weight to begin with I wouldnt reccomend this medication at all cause it will make you gain a lot of weight! and also if you love sex i wouldnt take it either like i said my drive is non existent.

Comment from: Daejo, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 11

Very sedating for about 5 hours (5 mg dose) or 10 hours (10 mg dose). Helps me sleep, but can't function until the dose wears off. Have taken it for two weeks and am not noticing much improvement in mania/mixed state. Side effects: (1.) after taking, tounge and throat are numb for up to an hour so I don't eat or drink because of possibility of choking, (2.) tastes terrible but the bad taste only lasts for a minute or two, (3.) Feet and ankles are swelling. My guess is this drug is probably more effective for schizophrenia than it is for bipolar.

Related Reading: schizophrenia

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 11

I've been on this medication for a month and other than the slight numbness to my tongue for a few minutes, i've found it to be very effective. My doctor decided to put me on Saphris after Seroquel, Depakote ER, Trazodone, Effexor, Zyprexa and Elavil all shut down my thyroid and caused rapid weight gain and fluid retention. It leaves me slightly hungry after I take it but overall it helps regulate my sleep pattern as well as my moods.

Related Reading: seroquel | depakote er | trazodone

Comment from: spunkymoose, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 10

Saphris is the only medication that I have taken and can say that I love it. I have been on so many combinations of meds that I can't even write them down. I have not gained weight, I lost weight. I had episodes of psychosis and was put on saphris. Since then I feel great. The taste is horrible but I got used of it. I'd rather put up with the horrible taste than lose touch with reality again. You do get used of the taste. I have to only take it at night because it will knock me out. But that is a good thing for me. I go thru periods that I don't sleep or sleep only 2 or 3 hrs a night. I have had a great experience with saphris and love it. The best medication I have been on. I started taking it in April 2010. Its great because I'm not a huge combination of meds like in the past. I have narrowed it down to just taking saphris and topamax. Oh, I did have a period that I was really depressed but dr. put me on wellbutrin and felt a little better after that. No longer on wellbutrin. I feel great, no episodes of psychosis in 8 months, I feel stable. One thing I did notice is that if I did miss one or two doses it would effect my moods in a big way. Have to make sure you take everyday!!!

Related Reading: topamax | wellbutrin

Comment from: LifelongBipolar, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 24

First I would like to say Take this at bed time. Give yourself a 6-8 hour time frame to rest. The taste is bad but so far the effects are going very well for me. I have been Bipolar for many many years and I have been on many different medications. I have trouble sleeping but when I take this before I lay down I wait the 10 minutes like I am suppose to and drink something with flavor to wash the taste away. Yes it does make my mouth under my tongue numb(where I put it) to dissolve. If you can keep it under your tongue do it. My normal reaction on first couple doses brought it above my tongue. Don't its worse tasting and makes your whole tongue numb. Then I lay down and that is all I remember for the next few hours. Don't try to do anything after taking it, Just rest. The side effects I do not have yet and may not have. I am in the time frame of my most possible manic state of the month, I do not feel that everything is 100 fold worse then it really is. I can say this is working for me. Please keep in mind when reading these reviews that most of us are in a state of saddness, moody, etc... it is why we are taking it to begin with. No medication has it full effect for at least 30-40 days. When trying this medication please give it 30-40 days before you decide on its full effect for you.

Comment from: ASENAPINE, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: February 02

this medication is very good. u can tell by the very 1st day you start taking sahhris.i pray it works forever.its the 1st medicine that works.the only very bad thing is that just the insurance won't pay any of it and it is $600.00,yes $600.00 per prescipation.PLEASE,PLEASE, HELP US .WE CAN'T AFFORD IT AT ALL.AND IT'S THE ONLY MEDICINE THAT WORKS!!!!!!PLEASE HELP.

Comment from: Karen, 75 or over on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 30

Saphris has helped me a lot, but it tastes so bitter you have to be careful how you take it. Insist that your psych prescribe the black cherry flavored saphris. It's still bad tasting, but is 100% better than the original. After removing the pill from the foil pack, place it in the middle area under your tongue. Avoid talking or moving your tongue for the required 10 min. This takes patience and practice. The pill will dissolve quickly causing a lot of saliva. After the 10 min., swallow the built-up saliva, immediately brush your teeth (and tongue if it bothers you), and go to bed soon after because saphris is very sedating, especially at first. If you can get past the taste, you may find it a very useful drug. I find it effective for sleep, keeping you awake during the day, depression, and stopping obsessive/suicidal thoughts. Good Luck.

Related Reading: saphris | depression

Comment from: fallindownbella, on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 11

i'm very very satisfied with this medication it is awesome. knock on wood i have not had a single insomnia night from my mania or depression moods. i hate the taste but its well worth it. i seem to be more level with my moods. my first experience with saphris when i woke up the next morning and got up and stayed up the last drug i was on was geadon it made me have to have at least 12hours of sleep i love to sleep but not that much i have ADD too i take vyannse its a new medication too it keeps me focused all day i also take trazadone as a sleep aid ihave gain weight since i have been on saphris i actually lost weight with eating well and exercise.

Related Reading: insomnia | saphris

Comment from: BIPOLAR PSYCH NURSE, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 24

THE SPEED OF EFFICACY AND DEGREE OF RELIEF FROM SX OF AGITATION AND ANXIETY ARE AMAZING. I DID NOT HOPE FOR ANYTHING LIKE THIS RESPONSE TO THIS MED AND RELUCTANTLY AGREED TO TRY IT AS MY PRACTITIONER HAD BEEN TO A TALK ABOUT THE DRUG AND WAS ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT IT'S POTENTIAL. I HAVE JUST COMPLETED MY FIRST WEEK OF RX AND AM HUGELY GRATEFUL THAT SHE ENCOURAGED ME TO TRY IT. FIRST FEW DAYS I FELT VERY DRUGGED BUT, ODDLY, NOT IN AN UNPLEASANT WAY

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: female zombie, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 11

I am in a stupor. I can barely stay awake or operate my cash register at work. I've developed a rash an a severe headache. I feel severely lethargic and thirsty. I could not drive while takig this so I stopped. I give a vote of no confidence to any antipsychotic medicine. We are being turned into zombies. It is a chemical lobotomy. I have to struggle to stay awake

Related Reading: rash | headache

Comment from: kj1091240, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been on this for about 3 weeks now and feel better than I have in 8 months. It took me a little while to get used to taste and the numbness it left in my mouth but after that it is not so bad. With the goodness I get from it dealing with the bad taste is a small thing to deal with.

Comment from: angel, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 15

I have just finished the 5mg at bedtime for 5 days. After the first 2 days I noticed a tremendous difference in my mood. I felt great. I wasnt as depressed, I felt very calm, and actually had alot of energy. I seemed to have a peacefullness feeling. I also have taken Depakote, Seroquel and others medications that did not work and had horrible side effects. I was very hesitant about starting another new medication because I had taking everything and nothing seemed to work. This is like a miracle for me! I have noticed my hands and feet have swollen when I awake in the morning but it eventually goes away after a few hours once I start moving around. So far that is the only side effect. I start on 10mg tonight. Hopefully it will still keep improving. If everything else has failed I would definiely give this medication a try. Within the first couple of days I could definitely tell a tremendous difference. It definitely puts me to sleep within an hour after taking it at night and I do sleep alot better.

Related Reading: depakote | seroquel

Comment from: RedMarshall, 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 26

I have tried a lot of other medications and saphris is the first of many to make a significant difference in my life. The taste however is terrible and is a rather unpleasant experience. Once you have been on it for 6mos-1yr you get used to it. I have been taking saphris for a while now and it has worked wonders for me. I have really bad insomnia and saphris allowed me to finally get some sleep. Before I began taking saphris I went with 20 hours sleep for a period of two week straight. 720 hours in one month. With two weeks at 20 v 336 hours you can only imagine how bad the first two months were. Saphris was a god send for my bipolar disorder I disorder. The side effects are becoming a nuisance but I am happy to be stable.

Related Reading: saphris | insomnia | bipolar disorder

Comment from: AmyJade, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

This medication was given to me when I was experiencing a mixed episode. It does cause your tongue to go numb with unusual taste. I do not like how it makes me want to binge eat a few minutes after taking it. I can only take at night before bed because it knocks me out. I have gained a ton of weight because of this so I am not going to continue using it. I would recommend you try it you may not have the urge to binge. We all metabolize medication differently. I just cant afford to keep gaining weight after Depakote and this Saphris I am depressed from weight gain. I have to try something that wont cause me to retain water or binge eat at night. Good Luck! It does work just not the right med for me.

Related Reading: saphris

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 12

ADDED TO LAMICTAL FOR BIPOLAR 1 DEPRESSION HAS MADE A TREMENDOUS POSITIVE DIFFERENCE

Related Reading: lamictal | depression

Comment from: shana, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 27

i am feeling very anxious and agitated by this med. though it has helped my manic state settle into a little more even keel, the agitation is incredible...i have started smoking again after quitting for 3 months just because of how saphris makes me feel! the taste is yuck but thats okay

Related Reading: smoking

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: April 27

This medication KILLED my daughter! She died of toursades de pointe while taking this medication in combination with effexor.

Related Reading: effexor