Sarafem

Comment from: MORELIKEME, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 15

I've been on Sarafem for 3 weeks now for PMDD. I have to say I'm thrilled with the results so far. I am more stable in mood, my breasts weren't tender with my period, I have less symptoms of PMDD (my hubby noticed a difference!) and I just feel more like myself. I take it at night b/c it tends to make me a little tired if I take it in the morning. I have also lost weight which has been an issue with my past history of anorexia. I am never hungry. The fog I felt the first week went away and I feel like doing normal things (playing with the kids, laundry, grocery shopping) again. My aches and pains I used to feel are also gone. I almost worry this is to good to be true. I feel wonderful. I take 10 mg each day. Start with small dose and work up from that dose if you need to increase. High dose gave me anxiety. I hope this drug helps you as it has helped me, you aren't alone in the way you feel! Keep trying!

Related Reading: sarafem | anorexia | anxiety

Comment from: LIMom, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 23

I take 10mg for just 14 days before I get my period. It definitely helps with my mood and uncontrollable anger. Before taking this, the silliest things would make me want to scream! When my husband asked me why I take it, I tell him that I take it in order to extend HIS life expectancy :-) Enough Said?

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I started Sarafem several years ago. It has brought me peace of mind and wonderful sanity. My "crazy" time is a lot less stressful on my family. It has brought harmony back into my life. When I think of how angry and shrill I became around "that time of the month" I wonder how my family could stand me!

Comment from: FL MOM, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 10

I asked my Dr if there was anything I could take for that anxious and "short-fuse" feeling I had each month, before my cycle. She told me about Sarafem. I told her I didn't want to really take anti-depressants. She told me about taking it for 14 days, before my cycle. I've been taking it for over a year now and it has been a blessing. I haven't experienced any negative side effects, except a lack of sex drive. That could be due to communication problems in my marriage, but I noticed the lack of intrest in sex increased when I began Sarafem. I read the reviews for Paxil CR and Zoloft, hoping to find another treatment for PMDD without the lack of interest in sex drive, but Sarafem has the most positive reviews. I take 10mg of Fluoxetine HCL for 14 days each month and I'm very pleased with how I feel each month. It has made me feel less anxious and generally content.

Related Reading: paxil | zoloft | fluoxetine

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 23

I suffered every month my whole life, this drug has helped me so much. I am not a crazy lunatic every month before my period anymore, it has balanced me. It is the only medication I am on other than an allergy medication. I wish I had started sarafem many years ago. It has really taken away all my symtoms, especially my anxiety and anger before my period. I am on 10 mg a day.

Related Reading: allergy | sarafem

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I liked the treatment. When I ran out of it, I noticed I went back to being ''moody". So my Dr prescribed prozac instead this time. But as for sarafem...i did like it.

Related Reading: prozac

Comment from: sjgirl85, 25-34 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 25

I have been taking this medication for 7 months now. It has honestly changed my life. I wish I would have started taking it a lot sooner. I have suffered from, what my doctors called,PMDD. I was depressed, anxious and easily frustrated at some points of the month which seemed to center around my menstrual period. I would cry for no reason, get upset or mad for no reason, I was super sensative, got frustrated VERY easily and was extremely anxious at times. It interfered with all of my relationships - my family (especially my parents), my boyfriend, my friends (especially my rooommate and best friend). I was reluctant to start taking this medication, as I was afraid to feel like a different person or TOO happy or disconnected with reality. After reading reviews, I decided to start it... it was worth a shot. I'm going on my 8th month and I feel like myself with a happy outlook on life, a more balanced mood and more control over my emotions. My frustration level has gone WAY down, which was one of my biggest problems. My relationships have become better and easier... and everyone notices a huge difference in my mood and personality. The ONLY negative I have found is that I have gained about 10 pounds since starting it and my doctor says that is is related to the medication. Totally worth it though!

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 14

I take the 2 week dose before my period. Works very well to resolve PMDD issues.

Comment from: deann, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 06

I have taken it for 6 years. I take 2-3 capsules each month just before my symptoms/period. It takes effect (gently calms me down and makes me sane again) within 12 hours. I have no side effects.

Comment from: ngoody, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 16

This drug is my new best friend! Why did I wait so long to ask for help for my PMS???

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 03

Effective, with no side effects for me! Although situational depression still gets to me, I no longer feel it's unbearable since the extra weight of PMDD-induced depression has been lifted. Most importantly, I've experienced basically no side effects. I dream a bit more vividly, that's all. No sexual side effects, even though my doctor warned me this was common! I'm in a bad place in my life, but Sarafem has made it bearable.

Related Reading: depression | sarafem

Comment from: Donna, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 17

I used to be very cranky and snap at everyone but now I am calm an happy again.

Comment from: TheGirl, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 30

i feel like a human being again. and THAT is a wonderful beautiful thing.

Comment from: thankgoodnessforSarafem!, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 13

Prior to taking Sarafem the week before my period and the week of my period I felt like a completely different person. It felt like I went through two weeks of moodiness, irritability, anxiety and depression. It finally got to the point where I was having depressive episodes where I just wanted to sleep. I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with PMDD. She changed my birth control and wrote me an Rx for Sarafem and after one cycle I have noticed a major difference. I feel like I normally do the rest of the month. I'm not moody, irritable or depressed. I'm so glad I went and talked to my doctor about this I can finally be normal again!

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: MrsDawgdaze22, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 06

This drug has been a great help for me. However, my pharmacist has told me that they have discontinued it. Does anyone know why or of anything else that works as well as Sarafem?

Comment from: ROOFERGIRL2006, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I USED TO GET AGGRAVATED CONSTANTLY THIS MEDICATION STABLIZES MY MOOD. VERY WELL..

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 05

It has definitely taken the edge off every month. I feel like I have more control and can at least recognize what is happening before I lose it! I am much calmer now.

Comment from: Tay12, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 22

I tried Sarafem for the first time to help with PMS. I only took 10 mg for 14 days. Yes, it does take the edge off, however I had a very difficult time sleeping. I would lie awake for two hours some nights which is never usually an issue for me. Another issue was that I could not achieve orgasm. I had an option to cut the 10mg in half but I decided against it. I will try a more natural route or even consider getting back on birth control.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

sleep better, stopped being irritable and screechy, love life in a calmer state!

Comment from: missy, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 17

I have been using this drug for four days now. I am noticing that I have the "I don't care" attitude to situations where I would normally over-react to. Be careful taking this with Robatussin (battling a cold). It caused me to be a bit confused and disorientated, with several weird dreams.

QUESTION

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome. See Answer
Comment from: 45-54 (Patient) Published: March 25

Been on the med for a week now. Had partial hysterectomy and have been going thru me menopause 8 yrs now. Ovary/hormone symptoms been tougher to deal with this past 2-3 months. One positive so far, appetite has decreased (usually increases at this time). Had been taking Viibryd for about 5-6 months now; told to stop taking it while taking this med; luckily no withdraws since stopping Viibryd (knock on wood) depression has not worsened. Hoping that more positive things come of taking this PMDD med. Two more weeks before I'll really know.

Related Reading: menopause | viibryd | depression

Comment from: Jodi, 45-54 (Patient) Published: December 10

I am researching Sarafem. All reviews very helpful. I feel tense, overwhelmed, angry and ready to choke everyone. I have appt w Dr. tomorrow, I am looking for some relief from these symptoms!

Related Reading: sarafem

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 21

It was pretty bad when I knew I was being a witch. My Dr. recommended this for the 2 weeks before my monthly. I love it! My husband and daughter have noticed the change also.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 09

This medication has been very helpful to me.

Comment from: cam830, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 02

it is so simple to take and really does help with my severe PMDD It keeps my moods stable and also helps with the severity of my PMDD symptoms.