Savella

Comment from: SavellaIsGREAT, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 16

Savella works great. But the first week of side effects while titrating are a bit uncomfortable. After that, it's WONDERFUL for energy, pain & brain fog, although it takes a couple of months to see a dramatic improvement. IGNORE any reviews from people who stopped taking it after the first week, because they most likely didn't take it properly & just aren't giving it a real chance to work. Savella isn't a pain pill; it doesn't work instantly. Very important to remember: TAKE SAVELLA EARLY & TAKE IT WITH FOOD; always take it with food. I take it at 5 a.m. & 2 a.m. (for 7 weeks now). If not taken correctly, it'll cause headaches/nausea. Don't give up; just give it at least two months to work. I take my doses halfway through my meals. If you take the second dose too late in the day, it'll interfere with sleep. The second dose should be taken before 2 p.m. Unfortunately, doctors also aren't telling patients that Savella is an SNRI so it SHOULD NOT be taken w/ other antidepressants or it'll make you sick (serotonin syndrome). Take it properly & give it a chance - because Savella helps A LOT for fibro sufferers! Wonderful for pain, energy & fibro fog. TAKE IT RIGHT, AND IT WILL HELP! DON'T DISCOURAGE OTHERS IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE SAVELLA CORRECTLY. IT TAKES LONGER THAN A WEEK TO FULLY WORK. IF YOU'RE NOT TAKING IT LONG ENOUGH, YOU'RE CHEATING YOURSELF!

Related Reading: savella | antidepressants

Comment from: Robin, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 31

I am a 47 yr old female and I have fibromyalgia. I am pain free for the first time in three years. I love Savella.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: JOY, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 29

AFTER ALL THE OTHER MEDS . THIS HAS BEEN BEST FOR MY FIBRO , ENERGY UP , FEELING BACK TO NORMAL FIRST TIME IN 5 YRS LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

Comment from: Savella, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 14

I have taken Savella now for 6 weeks. It is the ONLY drug that has helped me after 16 years of fibromyalgia!! Lyrica made me so dizzy, I was vomiting constantly from being dizzy. Cymbalta gave me flu symptoms so bad, I had the "runs" constantly and was nauseated 100% of the time. Savella has helped me with all of my symptoms. The only side effect is itching on top of my head and a few hot flashes. I can handle those. I feel 20 years younger!!

Related Reading: lyrica | cymbalta | flu

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 10

Within 3 days of beginning this new drug I felt like a new person. I arose from bed, went to the bathroom, did my business, then upon walking out realized how easy I just walked. It was like a miracle, no joke. I thought I was going crazy. I decided it must be a fluke or something. No medicine works that fast, or that effectively. Throughtout the day, I continued to notice the ease with which I was performing tasks of all nature, so I called and requested a visit with my rheumatologist for that week. I went in, explained to him and shared my worries of maybe it just being "psychosematic" and he laughed. It's not in your head, it's in your body. This drug really worked that fast! He shared that several of his patients had reacted to this med just as quickly and were having as good of results as I was. I have never had such good reslts from anything before and the side effects for me were just icing on the cake. I lost 20 pounds in the first month, gained so much energy, I'm more alert, and happier than I've been in years. I am only 44 and felt like I was older than my mother. Now I can swim and actually keep up with my 7 year old daughter.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 12

After only 10 days on this medication, I've had such a WILD range of side effects. It's been AWFUL. Irritability, agitation, insomnia, nervous shakiness, decrease in visual acuity, transient dizziness, constipation, sweating, sensation on skin surface that I am hotter than I really am (hot flashes? which I do NOT need in Texas in July), leg tightness / restless legs (which I NEVER had before), bad acne breakout (I am 42), extreme thirst but finding it hard to stomach some of the juices I normally drink with no problems, eating like a cow, Oh, and did I mention irritability?? And the med has NOT helped my pain IN THE LEAST. I will go back to Lyrica ASAP. They are allowing these meds out onto the market much too soon. They need to know much more about how they affect more people first.

Related Reading: insomnia | dizziness | constipation

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 10

I have Fibro and have been taking this medication for 3 months. IT HAS GIVEN ME MY LIFE BACK! Pain is significantly reduced, energy is up and brain fog is much, much better. I had some mild side effects the first month taking this drug and on day 14 my blood pressure went way up. My BP had been borderline high for a couple of years so my Dr. put me on BP medication and now it is normal.

Comment from: grammyd, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 23

I actually wrote a review about three months ago, but want to update it. I've now been on Savella for about 5 months, but was diagnosed with fibro almost 20 years ago. I am still amazed at the feeling of well-being I have had since on Savella. My pain and stiffness is virtually gone. I still take Savella on a full stomach so I don't get nausea. I am still sweating, which for me is one of the worst side effects, but I do think that's getting better. I have gotten rid of all my sweaters, that's for sure! I also have freezing cold hands and feet - I feel like all the heat is directed to my face, head, and neck, leaving no heat for my hands. I think I am most surprised that my thinking is almost 100% clearer! I can concentrate on tasks and actually finish one before I start another. The fibrofog is gone! Another side effect I've noticed is my skin feels and looks like I have goosebumps all the time. I still have tingling in my scalp, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this skin thing? My constipation is much better - I eat 1 Activia yogurt a day and it helps. My heart rate is faster, but my BP is stable. My pain/burning/tingling comes back only if I am over-tired. After reading all the comments I realize why it's so hard for drug companies to figure out if drugs work. Look at how many of us have such different reactions! I can understand that some of you want this taken off the market because you feel the side effects are so dangerous, but for those of us for whom it works, I thank God every day for this drug! I wish it worked this well for everyone. Good luck to all of you - something will come along that will help you - hopefully soon!

Related Reading: savella | constipation

Comment from: caseyburl, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 08

I just finished my 30 day sample pack of Savella working my way up to 50mg/tab. I've had no noticable side effects & this is the first medication in 10yrs. that has helped me for FM. It has eased my pain, out of 100% feeling the best I've felt 80% better overall. I recommend this drug over any other FM drugs.

Comment from: momof3, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been to all doctors for pain. I then met an angel who prescribed savella. I took savella in 3 different steps. I have been on savella now for 3 months. I LOVE THIS MEDICATION it gave me my life back. It did take about 2 weeks to notice a major change. But now im keeping up with my 3 little boys again.

Related Reading: savella

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 27

I have chronic fibromyalgia - so far Saravella is helping me decrease the use of other pain medications. It also has not upset my stomach like Cymbalta did. Cymbalta did work well on the fibro pain, however.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia | cymbalta

Comment from: penelopeq, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 25

I've been taking it for several months now. It took a while to get used to. It was better than Cymbalta. At first I had nausea, excessive sweating, and dizzeness. But, I started sleeping better after YEARS of not sleeping well. The dr. took me off all anti-inflamatorys, sleeping meds and muscle relaxers I had been on for years, and I thought the doc was crazy for doing this. But, my son who has the same dr. told me to trust him & I did. Now after months, the pain is much less, only my oesteo arthritis pain remains, I am less nauseated, hardly ever sweaty. I take 2 50mg a day and divide the dose into 4 times with food. That helped a LOT. My dr. also put me on NO exercise for a month. I again, thought he was crazy, but it worked and my muscles healed. Now I can do a little more and more each day. Hang in there folks, it does get better. For me the alternative medicines are much, much, worse. Good luck everybody.

Related Reading: excessive sweating | arthritis

Comment from: Happier Girl, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 10

I started out on this medication 11 months ago. At that time I was walking everywhere with a cane. I have degenerative disk disease, Fibromilgia, and arthritis. I felt as though my life was on a down hill slide. I had tried every other fibromialgia drug with no success. This was my last resort. I had the same problems in the beginning as several other people and was ready to give up. My doctor suggested to crush the pills and try it in small doses several times a day until I felt as though I was adjusting to it. It took about 3 weeks and then I was able to take the pill in small pieces as I adjusted to the medication. I am happy to say I rarely need the cane and am 90% pain free. I have more energy, and a much happier outlook. Please give this medicine a chance.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 03

I have been on this drug for almost 3 weeks. While I have had decreased pain, it has made me very sick. I have constant nauseau. I have lost 12 pounds due to being unable to eat. I have dizziness and the cold chills are horrible. I have agreed to try this for 2 more weeks and if things don't subside, I am getting back off. This has been an awful experience.

Related Reading: dizziness

Comment from: Kathy, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 03

I have had Fibro for many years and have tried so many different things but so far after one week I find Savella to be a god send. The pain relief far out numbers the side effects so anything that helps the pain is valuable to me. My depression was due to the pain that I was at the point that death would be a good thing that is how bad I felt. I am slowly getting over some of the side effects that I have had and hope within some time the other's will go by the wayside. I am now going to try a massage every other week to see if this may produce added comfort of which is one of the suggestions while taking this medicine. To those of you that are still struggly I hope in time that you find something that will give you some relief because this Fibro is not any fun at all and it's hard to describe to anyone the pain that a person has due to this. Good Luck and God Bless!

Related Reading: savella | depression

Comment from: Tax64, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 02

If you give this med a chance, after 30 days the side effects begin to go away. Just to see what it did for me, I laid down, felt like I had an electrical storm in muscles with twitches/spasms etc, took Savella, storm quieted down, hang in there folks, the side effects go away then you really feel what the meds are doing for you. I take it with Lyrica (450Mg/day), the Savella works with Lyrica, but you have to give it time 30 plus days. I have Fibro and ankylosing Spondylitis. I did experience strange things, but they pass once your body adjusts to the meds, your nights sweats will lessen, crazy dreams go away, and many other minor things, I have been helped tremendously by the combination of meds, hope this helps others.

Related Reading: lyrica | ankylosing spondylitis

Comment from: Gentalhugs58, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 05

I have only been taking this for 7 days so Im not sure of the answers yet of the effectiveness. I have experienced increased nausea, headaches, and extreme disorientation, altho, I think it's too early to say if it's gonna work. I also, have had increased insomnia. I have a sample pack that will get me up to 100mg a [email protected] a prescription Doc wrote, pharmacy wasnt sure if they will carry this or not, since it's so new. I am willing to try anything for Fibromyalgia because after 24 years I have tried everything and never brought any lasting results. I do belive that increasing Norepinephrine in the brain has got to be as important as Serotonin, so this is what I had wanted in my thearpy but most Drs. will tell u it's dangerous to mess with chemicals in the brain, but thank god I have a good family doctor who is willing to try anything for his Fibromyalgia patients. So i will see how I feel in a month, I do agree with others who posted side effects of this drug as being hard to keep going.

Related Reading: insomnia | fibromyalgia

Comment from: Shali, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been in pain for more than 2 years and nothing has even began to ease the pain. I tool Savella and the pain did subside, however, I couldnt stop vomitting, and was unable to control my bladder. I had to take off work for an entire week, and all I did was sleep, vomit and use the bathroom. It made me lose my appetite too. I like the fact that is stop the pain in my legs, but I couldnt function any other tasks. I'm 39 yrs old and I was using a walker because of the pain in my legs and I had to continue to work, and now in 6 days of taking savella, I am walking on my own. I am waiting for my doctors return call to see what can be done.

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 02

Savella was prescribed for treatment of Fibromyalgia / coupled with advanced Lupus ailments. Frankly, this is only day 5 of my initial titration kit of Savella. However, there is a marked noticability of: Severe sweats (periodic)within 1 hour of dose; faster heartbeat, sometimes pounding (passes after 10 min or so); some blurriness of vision, and reedness of neck and shoulders (the redness lingers indefinitely)

Related Reading: lupus

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 06

It has worked very well. I am allergic to Lyrica but this has done very well. Only side effects that I have are (1) mild headacke and (2) sweating.

Related Reading: lyrica

Comment from: Sheila, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 22

i was diagonized with fibro in 1998 after suffering for years without a name for the pain, i have tried several drugs and combos of drugs over the years, my dr recently wanted me to try savella, after 2 days of the lowest dose i felt amazing, i was telling everyone about my miracle drug, but as the days went on and the dosage increased the side effects came in full force,excessive sweating which caused my potasium to drop so leg cramps occured, hot flashes, difficulty urinating,stomach aches, moodiness, irratibility, and the depression increased with an excessive amount of crying, i was so disappointed because the relief from the fibro was the most i have had in years, i am hoping that your company continues to work on the side effects so maybe one day i can attempt it again but thank you so much for trying to find us fibro sufferers some relief

Related Reading: savella | excessive sweating | hot flashes

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 19

I have chronic pain and tried savella. I dont think I can stand the sweating to the dehydration point, frequent unination and the fluid retention. Just took the 50mg and it is worse. I really need to take some weight off and thought this drug will help with pain so I could feel like exercising, live without the brain fog, and be who I would like to be without the pain. Dont think this is the drug for me. The pain is better but I think the side effects are worse than being in pain.

Related Reading: chronic pain | dehydration

Comment from: Dawn, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had fibromyalgia for 5 years and have had no relief from my pain except in the use of narcotics that dulled the pain. This medication has been wonderful. I have had no side effects and it has tremendously helped my pain. I am having to relearn to pace myself so I don't do too much as my muscles have not been used in such a long time. I have more energy and my pain has decreased to almost nothing on some days. I highy recommend this medication.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: Steph in Alaska, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 15

I want to share advice which I read when first considering this medication. Please remember that it will not work the same for everyone. I am frustrated when I read some reviews saying how bad the drug is or "take it off the market." Savella has been a life saver for me. I could hardly get out of bed each day because of the fibromyalgia pain before I started taking this medication. I had tried Lyrica, Cymbalta, Neurontin, and a couple others of which I forget their name...I couldn't tolerate those other medications and they were much less effective if at all on the fibro pain, insomnia, brain fog, etc. I understand if Savella has not worked for you or made you feel rotten but please don't forget there are other people out there who wouldn't know what to do without it. And if your just starting out and your having a little trouble adjusting, try to stick it out unless you just can't do it. You may find out like I did that it is the best thing out there for you.

Related Reading: savella | cymbalta | neurontin

Comment from: mom_of_3, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 27

I take Savella for Fibromyalgia pain along with degenerative disc disease,and spinal stenosis. I decided not to follow the mfg dosing directions as I know my body and started with 12.5mg a day for two weeks and then added 12.5 every two weeks until I got to 100 mg a day. It took me several months to get there. I know if had started with 50mg a day like some people have I would have ran screaming too from it. My biggest complaint about this drug is the hot flash/sweats. I think it helped relief the nerve pain but I still have pain in my muscles that I take other medication for and of course exercise and watch my diet. If you sensitive to medication better to start with a lesser dose and work your way up like I did and you might just find that this is a good drug for you. I took Cymbalta for 18 months before this and just didn't get the relief I needed. So as I was lowering my dosage of Cymbalta I was increasing my dose of Savella. It was a 4 month transition from one drug to the other. It wasn't horrible but there was a couple of days I did feel a little odd but doing it 12.5 mg at a time made it more tolerable. If I had listened to my doctor and just went from Cymbalta to Savella without tritating down on one and up on the other I would have been at the hosptial. No drug works in a day and if you are sensitive to meds and if it is a drug you can split with a pill splitter like this one then do so and take it slowly to increase to the full dose.

FDA Logo