Seasonale

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 21

I previously was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, and was having major mood swings/PMS. After consulting with my PA, we decided to try something with the same dosage of estrogen throughout my cycle, and the seasonale was very appealing with only 4 periods a year. I can still tell when I'm supposed to be having a period because I get a little more emotional, but overall the moodswings are all but gone! It does nothing for acne, which was a benefit of the Ortho, but it's worth it to me. Initially I would spot the week before my period was supposed to start and then have a period the entire week, but I've been on it for about 18 months now and I usually only have a 4 day period, with no spotting beforehand. The side effects say that you may spot when you would normally cycle, but I have never had this problem. Overall I am thrilled with the change that I've made and I recommend this product if you are tired of monthly periods and the PMS that comes with them!

Related Reading: ortho tri-cyclen lo | seasonale | acne

Published: June 25

I have been taking Seasonale for about 4 years now and love it! As others have mentioned, I did have some breakthrough bleeding on the first 3 month pack, but have not had any problems since. My body does tell me when it's about time to have my period, towards the end of the 3 months....I can definitely feel that it's ready to have a period. I am in my early 40's, in good health and don't have any children. I highly recommend trying this oral contraceptive if you want to have only 4 periods a year and much lighter periods.

Related Reading: seasonale

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 29

I have been taking Seasonale for a year. I had no spotting or bleeding in between periods. It's fantastic to only have 1 period every 3 months. My periods are also lighter and shorter due to the medication. It's worked well for me and I am completely satisfied.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 25

I was on Seasonale for about 3 and a half years. While I will admit it took a couple packs (3 months each) before my body fully adjusted to it, once it did, I loved it. Couple things to note - I had quite a bit of random spotting during those first couple packs. Nothing heavy, just a little annoying. Like I said though - once my body adjusted to the pills that stopped and I loved them. I had virtually no PMS symtoms and a very light period. The only thing I had to watch though is if I missed one day and didn't take it ASAP the next day, I was much more likely to spot when on Seasonal than I was when on 28-day cycle pills.

Comment from: LizE2010, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm no longer on Seasonale, but I took it for about 3 years so I thought I'd share my experience. Overall I liked Seasonale, in the end I had to stop taking it because I have migraines and was told I can't take any bc that contains estrogen anymore, bummer. But, here's my pros and cons list for it: Pros: - my skin was absolutely flawless the entire time I was taking it - i didn't experience any weight gain - it did its job, I never got pregnant - My periods were much lighter Cons: - it completely killed my sex drive, I also always felt very dry (tmi? Sorry) - i had spotting about halfway through each pack, that didn't decrease over time for me, like they say it will. It would last a couple days, up to a few weeks - it may have increased my migraines, not sure. I still have migraines, but I had one migraine with intense aura while taking Seasonale, which it why I finally stopped. Haven't had one with aura since.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 10

Worst birth control ever. I bled for weeks on end and if I didn't double up to stop it, it would've went on for 2 months. Constant breakthrough bleeding, severe cramps, passing tissue and clots. Periods 4 times a year? More like 4 periods per month without stopping.

Comment from: CstarS, 19-24 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 23

9 years on this pill, was satisfied for 6 of them. The last 3 I had been diagnosed with diabetes, & tested for cancer, anemia, and heart problems. I couldn't take a shower without wanting to faint, severe heart pain, and ready for bed by 4pm everyday. By process of elimination, we found out it was Seasonale causing my symptoms. I switched to Microgestin Fe 1/20 with lower estrogen, and and feel like I am 23 years old vs 50. Wish my OBGYN had listened to my pleas for help a lot sooner!!

Related Reading: diabetes | cancer | anemia

Comment from: OVER40ANDLOVINGEVERMINUTE, 35-44 (Patient) Published: January 18

I have been using Seasonale for about 5 yrs. My first period using the product I had really bad PMS. For about the first year, I did have bleeding break through but both the doctor and the flyer that comes with it states that will happen. Since my first year I have not had any problems.

Comment from: amhudson04, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: November 29

I have only been on this medication for 5 weeks and I feel like an absolute mess! I don't feel like getting out of bed, my moods are high and low( meaning I am grumpy and mean to sad and on the verge of tears)I have no motivation to do anything (except sleep), VERY irratable (I feel sorry for my husband and daughter). I called my gyno today and told her how I've been feeling and she said to stop immediately and I set up an appointment for to see her in a few days to do a hormone check (blood test) and go from there as far as what method to proceed with. I also have another friend who has been on seasonique for a year and has been experiencing the same feelings, and she just recently stopped as well. So beware of how you feel before you start taking this drug and how you feel while you are taking this drug, you will probably notice a HUGE difference!

Related Reading: seasonique

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 22

I was using this for a preventive medication for endometriosis. The longer I toke it the less spotting, PAIN, bloating,MIGRAINES, nauseousness, and less mood swings there were. It also greatly reduced my heavy flow during my period down to a very manageable flow. I was on it for little under 4 years.

Related Reading: endometriosis

Comment from: jackielyn, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 11

I am 28 and have tried many types of BC. Ortho tri (lost weight but made me break out like crazy) Nova777 (made me feel wierd and moody) Ortho Evra Patch (loved it but after being on it awhile I started to have skin problems and was very moody) and now the Seasonale. In the begining I loved it. Very little cramping, my skin cleared up somewhat from how it had been on the patch and my mood improved. I have now been on it for 2 years and I have to change. I have gained about 30 pounds and I diet and exercise like crazy and cannot lose an ounce. I am also experiencing Melasma on my face and I haven't had that with any of my other forms of BC. I am a very sexual person and since I have been on this pill my sex drive has gone completely away and even when I am in the mood I have severe vaginal dryness. Nothing else in my life has changed and I am not under any unusual stress so my Doc thinks its the pill. I started having the negative side effects about 6 months after starting the seasonale and they have progressively gotten worse.I really enjoy only having the 4 periods per year but the negative side effects are outweighing that at this point.

Related Reading: ortho evra | seasonale | melasma

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 01

I HAVE BEEN TAKING THIS MEDICATION FOR 1 YEAR. I'VE NOTICED WITH THE LAST TWO CYCLES MY MOODS A WEEK BEFORE WHERE VERY INTENSE. THIS MONTH I FEEL TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL CRYING LOOSING MY TEMPER AND NOT WANTING TO BE AROUND MY CHILDREN.I ALSO CANNOT SLEEP AT NIGHT. I AM UP FROM 2AM-5AM EVERYNIGHT. I CALLED MY DOCTOR AND SHE SAID IMMEDIATELY STOP TAKING IT AND SHE CALLED IN MEDICATION TO COUNTERACT MY MOODS. AS FAR AS CONTROLLING MY CYSTS IT DID AN EXCELLENT JOB. I DO HAVE WEIGHT GAIN AND THE LAST FEW WEEKS NO APPEIATE AT ALL. I'VE HAVE BEEN OFF MEDICATION FOR 4 DAYS AND I AM STARTING TO FEEL A LITTLE BETTER.

Comment from: Girly_girl512, 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 07

I have been on seasonale for a little more than 3 years and never looked back. I didn't get any spotting in the first few packs. The only time I got spotting was when I missed 3 days in a row and that was only for two days, no big deal. When I stop the active pills it takes about 4 days for my period to start. I take my last pill on Thursday night and my period starts on Monday and only lasts about 3-4 days. I love not having my period in the summer at all and not at Christmas or on my birthday. It is the same every year. I would definitely recommend this product.

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 09

From the first pill on; I was in love with it. I never experienced any spotting or random bleeding while taking it. It is just very important to take it at the same exact time each day, one day I had taken it a few hours too late and consequently started my period a month too soon. I still experience horrible cramps but I have not had one break out of acne or pimples.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I had a hard time in my first few packs but now I've been on Seasonale for over 2 years and just had my Dr. visit. I told her that my periods have almost stopped and she (as well as I) was very happy. Before Seasonale I had a week of severe cramps followed by a heavy week of bleeding...never anything light. Now it's almost a little scary because I barely have a period (2 days) with 2 days of occasional cramping (2-3 times a day). LOVE this BC!!!!

Choosing Your Birth Control Method See Slideshow
Comment from: SpaceGirl, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 01

I've been on Seasonale for over five years now. Prior to taking the pill and when I was on Ortho, I had long, heavy, and painful periods. On Seasonale, they only last four days, they're really light, and I only get mild cramps for a day or two. I used to get depressed before I'd have my period, and since I've been on Seasonale, I've never PMSed. I have never had any spotting problems while on this medication. The only two things I don't like about it are decreased libido (sex drive is almost non-existent!), and this medication seems to have numbed my emotions. I don't feel extreme emotions like I used to, and something has to be big in order to affect me (but I feel normal when I take the one-week placebo pills).

Related Reading: seasonale

Comment from: betterlucknexttime, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

After one month of use I started to have very back leg pains and a continuous period. I bled for over a month, they don't tell you that "break through bleeding" can be just as heavy as a regular period. I went from having a 3 day period on ortho cyclen, to having a constant period on this drug. I stuck with it because I my doc suggested that my body had to adjust. By the third month it was clear that it was time for me to switch back. Oh and to top it off I developed inflammation of the veins, which is the first step toward clots. I've never had that issue before taking this med.

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 01

I experienced nothing but problems when starting on Seasonale. I experienced extreme fatigue as well as extended, painful bleeding lasting up to 6 weeks, and that does not even count the spotting which would last for a week before the heaving bleeding as well as a week after, always beginning the second month of pills. Once the bleeding and spotting was finally over, It was time to begin the placebo pills and have my actual period. While this pill make work for some, it's definitely not for me.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 21

I love Seasonale, I was on Depo Provera for many years, but had to go off due to risk of osteoporosis. This is the second best thing to having no period, only 4 light ones a year. However, the 2 times I have been late taking a pill, (by like 6 hrs) I got my period the next day!

Related Reading: provera | osteoporosis

Comment from: Arwen, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: April 23

I am not on this anymore, but only because I stopped needing any bc. I was on it for over 6 years; started with name brand then moved to the generic with no noticable difference. I never had any side effects, and never any spotting. The 4 periods a year that I did have were extremely light. I did not see added benefits like less acne, but that wasn't my purpose for taking it. I was very pleased.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: papaa22, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 04

I've been on it for a little over a year. I don't know about anyone else, but I've experienced weight gain, acne (when I've NEVER had acne before), fatigue, depression and loss of sex drive. I've talked to my doctor AND my gyno and both do not attribute my symptoms with seasonique. I love not having my period--one of the reasons why I chose this one is because then I could have copious amounts of sex with my boyfriend. But like I said, no sex drive.

Related Reading: depression | seasonique

Comment from: 25-34 Published: December 20

My daughter at the age of 33 was on this medication when she died from an intercevebral hemmorage. After reading the side effects and all, I wonder if this drug could have contributed to the death of my daughter at such a young age.

Comment from: Nixx, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 16

I started Seasonale about a month ago. I'm two weeks into my second month. My doctor prescribed it to help curb my heavy and painful periods because I am iron deficient and its making me worse. I started the breakthrough bleeding and spotting about two weeks ago and now I'm in the midst of my 'normal' period (three weeks in) which is more painful and annoying than ever. Not to happy now but it sounds like you have make it through the first pack at least so I will stick it out and see what happens because shorter, lighter periods only a four times a year sounds heavenly to me!

Comment from: rkobrien79, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 28

This is the second time I've been on this particular brand of oral contraceptive - after a two year break from the pill. It works well for me - shorter, lighter periods, minimal PMS symptoms, and fewer headaches! As a side note - I did have some spotting with the first pack. It does take some time to adjust to this medication, so be prepared! Any pill may have an initial adjustment period - give it a few months!

Comment from: Katie, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 13

I switched to this from Ortho-Cyclen because I liked the idea of only having four periods a year. At first I liked it. But by the second month of the pack, I was ready to switch back. While it is nice not to have to deal with your period every month, being on this pill made me an emotional trainwreck. As soon as I finish this pack, I am DONE with it.

QUESTION