Seasonale

Comment from: 35-44 Female 2 to less than 5 years Patient Published: July 27

I have been using the generic version of Seasonale for over 2 years. It has been a life saver. I used to have very heavy periods with a lot of cramping and bad mood swings. My periods are only 4 times a year and much less intense. My mood is a lot better with less hormonal fluctuation. It took a little getting used to. Other BC pills seem to be more forgiving at missing a pill or taking a few hours late. I will have breakthru bleeding if I miss my pill by a few hours. I set a timer and religiously take my pill at the exact same time everyday. Once I started doing that I had no breakthru bleeding. I did gain weight on this pill initially but was able to lose it with diet and exercise. It doesn't help with acne like some other pills, but I haven't experienced my acne being worse like some patients describe. I really recommend this pill for people who are able to take it at the same time everyday. It's amazing only have 4 periods a year!

Related Reading: seasonale | acne

Comment from: NO period for me. Who has time for that 45-54 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: June 17

I have been on seasonal for more than 5 years. I take them every day, skipping the sugar pills every 3 months. I don't have a period, cramping, or bloating. I do not smoke. I have chroinc Headaches all my life so I can't blame this birth control for that. I have recently seen my blood pressure go up a little but my mother and father have high blood pressure, I am overweight and eat out way to much.

Related Reading: high blood pressure

Comment from: Julie 25-34 Female 6 months to less than 1 year Patient Published: December 06

I've never been this anxious in my life. The last 3 months have been the worst. This pill gave me depressive thoughts, major anxiety, insomnia, tension headaches, fatigue, weight gain, and brain fog. The anxiety is so bad I have bad neck and shoulder tension causing pain. I've been off of it for 3 weeks now and even though I still have symptoms, I already feel a difference and getting better day by day. I'd rather have acne and have my period every month than feel like this for the sake of skipping periods. Stay away from this birth control.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia | fatigue

Comment from: GeezerMom 35-44 Female 10 years or more Patient Published: January 11

I spent over a decade on seasonale, took it religiously at 6 pm every night, and got unexpectedly pregnant while taking it, at 42. Quite a shock for all of us, but baby was healthy and everything worked out for us, but I feel like I need to let other people know!

Related Reading: seasonale | shock

Comment from: Marie 25-34 Female less than 1 month Patient Published: January 31

I've been on it for 3 weeks now and I haven't stop bleeding since a started it. But the worst part for me is the constant hearth Ache! I feel sick all the time! It is so bothering I am debating if I should continu take it or not...:( bouhou

Comment from: 19-24 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: May 10

Worst birth control ever. I bled for weeks on end and if I didn't double up to stop it, it would've went on for 2 months. Constant breakthrough bleeding, severe cramps, passing tissue and clots. Periods 4 times a year? More like 4 periods per month without stopping.

Comment from: emmamarie 25-34 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: January 22

Seasonale gave me high blood pressure (164/112) after only two months of use. The high BP gave me a weird neck pain, a pinching feeling that would alternate from one side to the other. I was sent for many tests and discovered one of my kidneys had also become swollen (hydronephrosis). After six weeks, my BP normalized. The pill itself worked fine but the side effects were a major deal breaker.

Related Reading: seasonale | high blood pressure | neck pain

Comment from: Talyssa 13-18 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: May 29

This pill is extremely reliable, I never have to worry about accidentally getting pregnant. Especially with the use of condoms! This also made my periods a thousand times lighter, Seasonale has become a staple in my life for sure. It's easy to use and the only time I ever saw slight reaction is when I first started taking it and I became a little bit more irritable and I had some spotting issues, but now everything has evened out. I would definitely consider taking this if you're someone who struggles with rough cramps during your period, it's relaxing to not have a period for two months straight. This was also my first pill I ever taken so if your new to contraceptives I'd give this one a go.

Related Reading: getting pregnant | seasonale

Comment from: CstarS 19-24 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: May 23

9 years on this pill, was satisfied for 6 of them. The last 3 I had been diagnosed with diabetes, & tested for cancer, anemia, and heart problems. I couldn't take a shower without wanting to faint, severe heart pain, and ready for bed by 4pm everyday. By process of elimination, we found out it was Seasonale causing my symptoms. I switched to Microgestin Fe 1/20 with lower estrogen, and and feel like I am 23 years old vs 50. Wish my OBGYN had listened to my pleas for help a lot sooner!!

Related Reading: diabetes | cancer | seasonale

Comment from: June 35-44 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: April 27

This is by far, the worst drug I have ever used. From the second I started, after about 3 days I noticed my mood changed to very irritable. Then, I noticed I started to become bloated, and after 3 weeks gained 7 pounds! I have NEVER had a problem with weight and always have had to eat alot to keep weight on. The deal breaker was when after 4.5 weeks of being on this pill i started to bleed! I thought I went on this pill to stop bleeding all together. So I threw the pack away, and now have been bleeding heavily for 10 days with no sign of it stopping. Do NOT take this drug! it is harmful and such a joke.

Comment from: Rae 25-34 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: April 02

I love seasonale, had troubles on every other birthcontrol I tried. I only get acne around the time I go off my pills and My sex drive is higher I find. Really no complaints here.

Related Reading: seasonale | acne

Comment from: shanfan 25-34 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: January 23

I had tons of bleeding the fist two months. I also got a lot of acne and never had acne before. I also felt a lack of sex drive. So weird. I'm getting off of this.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: datgoodgine 19-24 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: October 18

Alright, it did its job because I didn't get pregnant, but WOW. I know everyone reacts differently to birth control, but I experienced what a lot of these women have-- NO sex drive. Also, I noticed weight gain. I started at 110, got up to 121 and kept weight on despite being active. A month after I stopped taking it I was back down, with no change in diet or exercise. Also, yes, acne wasn't a real problem at all--I usually break out right before my cycle and with no cycle, this didn't happen. Not having a period is also awesome. But I was emotional, irritable and hard to arouse. If you live alone, are single and just don't want periods, this is perfect for you.

Related Reading: acne

Comment from: S.A3 19-24 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: September 18

I was on this medication for about 5 and a half years to control my irregular, difficult periods. My doctor advised me to schedule a period every 2 months instead of 3 and it worked very well for me for the first 5 years, after that my body began to reject the drug and it stopped working altogether. I was bleeding almost constantly for about 6 months before my doctor finally took me off the pill and suggested I look for a new form of birth control. I did gain a little weight (about 10 pounds)which I quickly lost and I would have a headache once a month, I spotted slightly for the first month but the most irritating side effect was probably the dryness. Overall I loved this while it was working for me, my skin was great, I never had a pregnancy scare and my periods were lighter, easier and more predictable. I really do wish this had kept working for me but I guess nothing lasts forever, I just hope I can find something else that works as well for me as seasonale did.

Related Reading: headache | pregnancy | seasonale

Comment from: Arwen 25-34 Female 5 to less than 10 years Patient Published: April 23

I am not on this anymore, but only because I stopped needing any bc. I was on it for over 6 years; started with name brand then moved to the generic with no noticable difference. I never had any side effects, and never any spotting. The 4 periods a year that I did have were extremely light. I did not see added benefits like less acne, but that wasn't my purpose for taking it. I was very pleased.

QUESTION

Which of the following are methods for contraception? See Answer
Comment from: papaa22 19-24 Female 1 to less than 2 years Patient Published: December 04

I've been on it for a little over a year. I don't know about anyone else, but I've experienced weight gain, acne (when I've NEVER had acne before), fatigue, depression and loss of sex drive. I've talked to my doctor AND my gyno and both do not attribute my symptoms with seasonique. I love not having my period--one of the reasons why I chose this one is because then I could have copious amounts of sex with my boyfriend. But like I said, no sex drive.

Related Reading: acne | fatigue | depression

Comment from: YUCK 35-44 Female 1 to 6 months Patient Published: November 04

I have been taking this medication for 5 1/2 months now. The first 3 months were good, only had break through bleeding for a few days in week 8. However the second 3 month set has been nothing but a nightmare. I began spotting in week 8 again and now I am in the beginning of week 11 and it has not stopped. Continuous spotting some days even heavy bleeding the entire past 21 days. I went in last week to the dr to have an ultra sound, rather be safe than sorry. Good News everything looks normal, though the spotting continues. I am starting a 28 day pill this evening that the doctor has called in for me with 50 mg of estrogen so hopefully the bleeding will stop real soon and I am being hopeful of no migraine headaches with the higher dose of estrogen. This pill must work for some people but obviously I am not one of them so I can not recommend it. :-(

Comment from: 45-54 Female 10 years or more Caregiver Published: October 10