Serax

Comment from: Rubyee2, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 13

I have been taking Serax for over 20 years. I do not take it on a regular basis. I only take half of a pill occasionally. It has made me feel so much better and more relaxed and no anxiey when I have times that I am really anxious. I feel like a different person when I take this. Been a life saver for me. I hope I can take it the rest of my life. I am 72

Related Reading: serax

Comment from: Milo, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 24

This was the first benzodiazepine I was ever prescribed. It worked like a charm, as I recall at a dosage of 30 mg./day, but that was 25 years ago, so my recall isn't perfect. I would have stayed with this medicine, except that I was in college at the time, and my college pharmacy didn't stock this drug, so my doctor tried an alternative. Very effective, with a very wide dosing range, so it can be easily tailored to individual patients' needs. I understand it's also easier on the liver for elderly patients.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: rubye2, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 28

I have been taking serax for many years. I do not take a lot of these. I only take 1/2 at a time. They have been a lifesaver for me.

Related Reading: serax

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 04

I have used this drug in the past and had good results. I suffer from panic disorder and anxiety attacks. It was also easy doses to use. I was very satisfied with the results.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: RC, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 18

56 yr/Woman/social anxiety/anxiousness/and with little warning,I'll experience panic attacks. Med is a "life saver", take two 10 milligrams/day. Had MD's who wanted to "try something else", so tried Valium, Klonopin, Xanex(sp?). These DID NOT WORK well and had side effects, so they did return to the Serax (generic). I have no side effects, such as drowsiness or concentration difficulties, only relief from a life-long suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. If anything, it seems to provide more clarity in my thinking. Rarely take more than prescribed, sometimes less. Also very helpful when I am having a really difficult time sleeping because of anxiousness. Although I no longer drink alcohol, I was a pretty heavy social drinker for some time. I really didn't take the med much when drinking, but don't recall that it caused a problem, however I do not recommend taking any med of this sort with alcohol. This med is especially helpful when having to do things, such as teach a class or address a group, something that was almost impossible for me to do without fear of a panic attack or extreme nervousness. I have no reason or plans to discontinue its use unless I find that I no longer need it, and this would only become known to me by noticing that I was simply taking less of the med daily. I think it is great, and based on my experience with the other prescriptions I've had for anxiety, don't understand why it isn't prescribed more often. Most people I know have never heard of it, but they all have heard of Valium and Xanex (sp?), which I think have terrible side effects and are much more addictive.

Related Reading: panic attacks | valium | klonopin

Comment from: me, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 06

my doctor prescibed this after i was diagnosed with parkinsons and was freaking out as i could no longer teach. originally i took it 3 times a day then reduced it to once a day. over time i have quit takingit except when my foot cramps up too much or when i am in extremely anxious conditions (about 1 time every week or two). it works well at relaxing my muscles.

Comment from: rosingerb, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 21

I suffer from anxiety and sometimes shortness of breath, also profoused sweating and Serax does help.

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 26

I've had trouble with tense muscles as well as insomnia. This drug has helped me without causing excessive somnolence.

Related Reading: insomnia

Comment from: Lee lee, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 29

This med has been used by me for many years to relieve anxiety and occasionally to get a good nights sleep. I use it sparingly far anxiety attacks. My usage is about 50 tablets per year, but it really helps when I have problems. I do not suffer from depression or alcohol abuse. Using. It the way I do it is not habit forming in any way. 30 years ago I took it for agoraphobia and it worked.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression | agoraphobia

Comment from: chathampit, 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 02

I have been on Serax for 40 years and know exactly how it will affect me. I have taken up to 90mg to get me thru an MRI. It is the only drug that has ever done every time what it's supposed to do. If anybody knows of any long, long term effects, I'd like to know.

Comment from: nimo, on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 08

I have diabetic neuropathy and have had a complete hysterectomy,gallbladder removal, and broke my shoulder and arm 4 months ago. The broken bones have not healed. The Serax works great but doctor will not prescribe enough. I take 4 10 milligrams pills a day and 1 hydrocodone. I take 40 units of insulin twice a day.

Related Reading: diabetic neuropathy | hydrocodone

Comment from: BJ58, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: September 14

Having had problems since I was 12, and it being hereditary, I have found this the only thing that brought my life back to order. I was out on every antidepressant, MAO, andlithium, to no avail.I couldn't leave the house, go out of town, or even get dressed.While on a MAO inhibitor, and ready to commit suicide, the psych. suggested adding serax to it. The next day, I was a new person.I since had the quit the parnate, as the problems were getting worse with it, but continue my serax, twice a day. I am a manager of a company, drive 40 miles a day, and speak at functions. My biggest fear in life, is that some idiot will decide I am dependent, and try to take me off of it. I have been on it for 25 years, with no problems, and have liver enzymes checked regularly. Dependent or not, if it is the only thing that separates you from insanity....so be it.

Related Reading: suicide | serax | parnate

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

I was not aware of the addictive-ness of this drug. Although it worked rapidly and gave me a good calming affect, I would feel like I had a hangover if I decreased my dosage. This was after taking it only a week! Being in therapy and a 12-step program gave me true coping tools and a support system so, against my physicatrist advice, I stopped taking the Serax after two weeks. Although the drup was very effective, replacing one substance (alcohol) with another wasn't a solution for me. I now take a natural GABA supplement and, with 12-step support, manage my anxiety much better.

Comment from: ruby, 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 17

This medication has made my life so much better as I suffer from anxiety

Comment from: wildthingwarrior, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 14

I take 1 full pill when stress is overwhelming due to work or home life. It helps me clam down and focus on 1 object/issue at a time. complete the task and mov eonto the next one. Mission accomplished!

Related Reading: stress

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 06

Its been a life saver for me !

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 25

suffer from chronic anxiety, shortness of breath, profused sweating, Serax helos when yaken in small doses like 15 milligram, up to 4 pills a day, that's only 20 mg but it should be enough for the average person.

Anxiety Disorder Pictures: Symptoms, Panic Attacks, and More with Pictures See Slideshow
Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: November 18

no side affects given by me phys.

Comment from: wluckygirl3, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

what is the differant dosages

Comment from: nursealib, 75 or over on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 25

Started on this med. in 1968. I still take this med. I took it @ first for many years 30 md erery day. I was able to finish college. Great life. Strong. I started taking 10 mg every day. Than 6 years ago started taking 10 mg as needed. I will never be off this med completely. Believe me I have tried. I also suffer with being out in public places.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 30

Used when having dental work done, helped with anxiety.

Related Reading: anxiety

Published: May 08

my dad has been taking this medicine and he drinks with it which does not make it effective and he is unresponsive when we talk to him he just ends up being a couch potato the whole day.

Comment from: drowsy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: February 24

It's a valium derivative like temazapam in effect but it only works for 6 hours for a big guy, comes on strong, v. relaxing. Allow 2.5 hours before you want to sleep. When I was totally wired in hospital having been told I didn't have long to live the doc gave me one poxy 10mg pill of it for sleep, I had to laugh it was so small, 2 nights later after the night staff complaining about me staying up all night and smoking in the bathrooms he gave me 2; I took 20mg everynight thereafter for 11 months and had little problem to sleep. Then the malignant blood pressure broke and I had no problem dropping them along w. the drugs for cancer of the adrenaline glands but I still always like to have them around for when I can't get a good night sleep for a long time or I just have to be at an early interview or something. I think they are great and have no hangover effect like the other benzodiazapam derrivatives. Looking back over 11 years extra life since end stage terminal heart failure in '97.

Related Reading: valium | smoking | cancer

Comment from: big T, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 07

I was a hard drinker at least a fifth of booze a day.. Since I started serax I havent had a drink in 30 days..I dont realy understand how it works but it has saved my life.

Related Reading: serax

Comment from: squiggy, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 04

I need to know how long this medication will stay in my system.I had taken it for a month and I stop taking it over 14 days ago and it still shows up in my urine Do I need a liver function test to see why I am not metabolizing it quicker.

Related Reading: liver