Serzone

Comment from: JustThatGuy_42, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 28

On just Wellbutrin, I was far less depressed, but also constantly wired. With the addition of Serzone (in generic form), I've had almost no depression symptoms at all starting at about 2-3 weeks of use. Yes, it's blackboxed. I know. All SSRI's did was make things worse - then I was depressed and couldn't orgasm, which is worse than just being depressed. With the combination of Wellbutrin and Serzone, I've had no sexual side effects, none - the only mental health cocktail I can say that about since starting meds over ten years ago. Yep, there's a 1 in 125,000 chance of liver failure and death. I live in a Metro area. The chance of death driving to work on a freeway is higher Every Day. The chances the earth will be hit by a wayward comet by 2011 is around 1 in 250,000, but we don't all walk around worrying about that, now do we? Seriously - if you are a man and depressed, talk to your doctor about this drug. It is available still, just in (very cheap) generic form. Not only is it part of my dynamic duo of wonder drugs, but it caused no weight gain, helps me sleep more soundly, and makes me a nicer person all around. I'm a huge fan. And if you are on Wellbutrin XL at a high dose (300mg+) and still have some residual symptoms of depression or anxiety, ask your health professional about Serzone - it's totally worked for me.

Related Reading: wellbutrin | serzone | depression

Comment from: Babydoller, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: January 17

I have been taking Serzone (nefazone) for 14 years and it works amazingly well for me. I have no side effects. It has been the best antidepressent. All the others had terrible side effects and didn't work that well. But serzone has taken away all my depression with no se's, it is a miracle. I hope they never take it off the market. Some citizens advocacy group is trying to get the FDA to ban it I hope it does not succeed because no drug has worked like this for me, and it is a generic! Best wishes to everybody.

Comment from: bill, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 26

Serzone is the only medication that has relieved my depression and made my life bearable. I've had depression since childhood and i'm lucky to have lived long enough to encounter serzone,and only by chance i believe,when i was thrown into a psyc. ward and was started on this drug in 1996. Either my doctors analysis was excellant, or it just dumb luck that i started this drug no longer matters, because i've been able to live a relatively productive and somewhat happy life since.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 22

SERZONE HAS MADE MY MARRIAGE BETTER & treating deppression tolerable. My migraines have severely comprimised my depression treatments. Also being dissatisfied with the loss of sex drive with many of the SSRIs, I knew that my Dr. & I would have to try an older med. Migraines were our 1st concern when he put me on 100mg Serzone. Changing meds is old hat for me so I'm well aware it takes a good month to get used to a new on; I took this one at night 1hr before bed. MY DR. HAS BEEN BETTER THAN ANY I'VE SEEN IN THE LAST 20 YEARS! He wouldn't change the med or increase it at the first rough patch & encouraged me to continue to "Heal My Heart" with cognitive behavioral therapy. When I couldn't shake the "meanies", we added 20 mg of Celexa in the AM; low enough to still love my husband! I did go to 150mg of Serzone for a couple of months, but am back down to 100mg. REMEBER, TOO MUCH SERETONIN & THE LIKE WILL MAKE U JUST AS MOODY AS NOT ENOUGH! I'm well maintained enough to treat my migraines when I have to & can work on myself in a way that was too difficult between migraines & med changes before. Good luck & get those liver panels!

Related Reading: serzone | celexa | liver

Comment from: amandas mom, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 07

I had heard this med was "black boxed" and would no longer be available, but I have had no problems with availability and I live in a very rural area. Thank God, because I have been on the generic form of Serzone for more than 10 years with no side effects and great results.

Comment from: Suzie, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 12

I took Serzone for about 8 years until it was pulled off the market. About a year ago I had told the doctor I wished they still make and he told me they did but only the generic. I began to take it again and have been without any major depression since. I still get down but only for a day or two. I also like the fact that it has very few sexual side effects. Works great for me!

Comment from: 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 19

I have been using this drug for year with no side effects. I suffer from clinical depression and have been on many antidepressants. This is by far the best one with no sexual side effects. Beats Prozac and all the others.

Related Reading: antidepressants | prozac

Comment from: suzyq, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 19

I used this medicine 12 years ago for approximately three years. It was very helpful. I have just been informed of its availability again and can't wait to get back on it. I have tried so many others with so many side effects. I am relieved.

Comment from: Wisdom, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 10

I've been taking this for years and have never had side effects or any liver problems. It's much better than the seratonin reuptake inhibitors and has no effect on the libido. I won't switch.

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: murray, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 14

This is the one antidepressant that has worked for me with NO side effects. I was unable to tolerate the side effects of many other drugs over the years, and my doc prescribed this as a last resort. Even with this drug I can tolerate only a very small dose, 50 mg once a day, but for me it is effective. Tried a couple of times to increase the dose, but that only increased my anxiety (for which I am being treated with clonazepam). I also take this in the morning because I found taking it at bedtime or in the evening made it difficult for me to sleep. NOTE: For those who think this drug is no longer on the market, please know that while the brand Serzone is no longer available, the generic nefazadone is available and is quite inexpensive.

Related Reading: anxiety | clonazepam | serzone

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 30

I've been on almost all of the depression meds, but this one works without the sexual side efeects. Love it.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: happy, 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: March 19

been on 400mg for over 10 years, get routine liver tests every 6 months. Tried others and didn't like side effects (sexual dysfunction). Just got lab results back with elevated liver enzymes - could be nefazadone related - I hope not because I don't want to go through trying new meds and jeopardize my mental well being. Knowing this medicine could cause liver damage has been a risk, but I have also been depressed-free for over 10 years.

Comment from: benazoop, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 12

I took this drug a few years ago and it worked like a dream within 2 days. I was a totally diferent person. I only had to take it for 8 months and was off of it. Recently I have become depressed again and wanted the drug again but is unavailable in canada. Too bad. It always seems to be that a drug that works gets a bad rap and is removed from our shelves. I know a lot of people on other antidepressants and not one of them ever comes off of them. Serzone, for me, worked and I was only on it temporarily. With the drug and some psych thereapy they were the perfect combination in my battle with depression.

Related Reading: antidepressants

Comment from: lucy, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 07

I take this for depression and post tramatic disorder. I have been on it for about 8 years. Having tried several other medication,I found that this is what works for me. Controls my depression and flashbacks. I haven't gain weight or have loss of sexual desire as I had from past medications. No liver problems. I take 3 tablets daily. It has been my wonder drug.

Comment from: elizar, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 10

Serzone was very effective particularly used in combination with Wellbutrin to treat major depression and anxiety with no sexual side effects HOWEVER after over 4 years of use my liver functions were elevated to more than 10X normal levels. I was lucky it was caught in a routine blood test. It took more than 4 months for levels to return to normal. I would NOT recommend anyone using Serzone despite its efficacy in treating depression/anxiety with little or no sexual side effects. Further, I am now experiencing almost constant lightheadedness, imbalance, orthostatic hypotension (sudden drop in blood pressure) that may also be long-term effects of using Serzone. Has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms? I know of one other person who is having similar difficulties who took Serzone long-term....

Related Reading: wellbutrin | orthostatic hypotension

Published: February 28

Loved my serzone. Was tired at first, but got used to that. I took it only at night before bed, so i woke up feeling great. Went off it cuz i felt guilty/embarressed. Been off it for three years and am gonna start again this week. Just get your liver enzymes checked every six months.

Related Reading: serzone | liver

Comment from: uno, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 26

It was a little tough getting it into my system.. it made me feel uncontrollably tired and miserable. Once it was in my system it worked great and no sexual side effects. I do recommend getting your liver functions checked every six months through bloodwork though.

Comment from: Glad to be here., 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: November 07

This medication helps me to be less irritable and more awake. I do an annual health screen and ask for liver panel to check for adverse effects as declared in warning by FDA.

Comment from: dungotsmart, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 18

my husband had been taking for 5 years, (worked great)pharmacist said it was discontinued, now he is a guinee pig for other meds and has been very disoriented and falling. gave him cymbalta, falls all the time from dizziness.

Related Reading: cymbalta | dizziness

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: July 14

I have been taking this drug for 14 or 15 years now with absolutely no side effects. I have heard the liver tests were actually done on alcoholics in England so I really have no fear of this drug. I do have liver teats and have never had a bad result.

Comment from: dbee99, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: March 29

I have taken serzone for 5 years, I have had little to no side affects. I'm starting to come off, my vision is very blurry so the Doc.s think this might be the problem.

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 02

My doctor changed my med from Zoloft to Serzone due to less sexual side effects. Other than being extremely dizzy and very sleepy on Serzone, I had a strange effect. Once I got to an effective dose, it only worked for a few days and then stopped working. This happened all the way up to the highest recommended dose and it still was not effective. You have to taper off this med very carefully because it has a short half-life and can have withdrawal effects.

Related Reading: zoloft | serzone

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: December 22

I have been taking Serzone for 11 years now without any severe side effects. I get a bit dizzy sometimes & I have dry mouth but that's about it. I went off serzone for 4 months about five yrs. ago & I was a mess. I tried a few other medications but soon realized I needed the serzone ASAP. I got back on Serzone & have been feeling much better.

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: sadMatty, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 27

I am planning to ask my doctor whether I might go back on Serzone. It isn't as effective for me as Prozac, Lexapro or Celexa but it has none of the sexual side effects of those other medications. Serzone works moderately well for my cyclothymia and OCD and is potentiated effectively by Wellbutrin.

Related Reading: prozac | lexapro | celexa

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 24

I took this medication several years ago to deal with postpartum depression and other depression related issues. This was a very STRONG medication for me. Be sure not to drink alcohol or caffiene while taking it. There were nights where I stayed up all night and slept the afternoon if I had a day off. Be sure you also eat a well balanced meal and keep up with your diet as it can make you irritable if you just take the pill and refuse to eat. I lost a lot of weight while on this medication. When first starting out, I had to take it gradually, beginning with 1/2 a pill per night, 1 pill per day, and then the 2 per day. I was prescribed 3 refills, and only used 2.

Related Reading: postpartum depression | depression