Sinequan

Comment from: rocco218, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: November 10

Older antidepressant, caused some weight gain, but is a tried and true intervention that more experienced psychiatrists love to use. I would recommend this med to anyone. Helped me sleep, raised my mood, put color back into my life, helped significantly lower anxiety level.

Comment from: Rod, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 01

I have been taking Sinequan for 25 years. Started out with 25mg and increased dosage through the years to 150mg one capsule 2 hours before bed time. I was prescriped this drug by an orthopedic surgeon for lower back pain. I have not gained any weight as a result of it's usage all these years and it simple gave me my life back. I tried several times through the years to cut the dosage back but as soon as it got to low, say 50-100mg by back pain would come back and I would be unable to walk and would become bedridden. I've had not any adverse effects from this drug and plan on taking it for life. I have not had any adverse effect with this medine mixing with any other medicines.

Related Reading: sinequan | lower back pain

Comment from: JD, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

I've been on this drug for 2 months, and my depression is much less severe. I no longer think of suicide or end up in bed for days paraylsed with depression. I thought I would get lots of side effects from this older anti-dep. The only side thing was some tiredness during the day at the start of the treatment, but that only lasted a few days.

Related Reading: suicide

Comment from: glnrowan, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 30

Very effective at calming and beginning the sleep cycle. No side effects at all. Now taking 150-200mg nightly. Lost 25 lbs from not doing nervous eating and getting better sleep.

Comment from: Delaney, 13-18 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 09

Hi, I know I am onlly 16, BUT I have been taking various medications for TONS of reasons since I was 4. I started taking this medication when it was administered to me in a psych ward for chronic nightmares/flashbacks. This medication stopped them the very first day of taking it. Thank God for Sinequan!

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: grace, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 22

I had hallucination from this medication, and thoughts of self-harming myself while using this medication.

Comment from: nina, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 27

i have been taking sinequinn for 2 years and am finding it not very effective.weight gain is horrendous,dry mouth of morning and depression still gets severe at times.also sleep patterns are disturbed

Related Reading: dry mouth

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: May 17

Very Effective and satisfied and It stops the itching.

Comment from: yoheim, 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 26

I've taken Sinequan for over 20 years with no ill effects. I suffered from severe panic attacks and muscle aches which affected my life dramatically. I have had a normal life since taking this medication. I only take 25mg. a night. On occasion I try to reduce the dosage or go off it but always come back to the 25mg.It works for me.

Related Reading: panic attacks

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 21

This is a great to help you sleep by it made me so angry. I would snap at everyone for the slightest thing. Going bact to taking my Effexor. This pill is not worth being mad all the time. The weight gain was awful too.

Related Reading: effexor

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 13

My allergist prescribed this for me for severe chronic hives. I don't think it is working. I still have hives. Been on it for one month and in that time I have gained 15 pounds and I am not happy about that. My diet and exercise have NOT changed. I would rather have hived than the weight gain. I am going to suggest to the allergist to take me off this med.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: Marie, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 01

I was prescribed Sinequan for severe anxiety/panic attacks and depression. It has helped me tremendously. I am no longer a prisoner to my bedroom and home. I have gained 30 pounds since starting the med (2 years ago).

Related Reading: sinequan | anxiety | panic attacks

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 06

I was given this medication as a teenager (I am 31 now) and it caused SEVERE hallucinations. The Neurologist I was seeing for severe migraines prescribed this as a daily medication to try and break the cycle of migraines I was having. (Migraines run in my family) It caused me to feel like I was losing my mind. I woke during the night feeling like my bed was spinning and I was hearing voices. I would not tell anyone to take this medication and I am glad I have found a place to post my experience with it.

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 29

Excellent results but reduced libido extreme!!!! No weight gain

Comment from: mimi, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 28

I used to have agorophobia, and not want to leave my "comfort zone", but I am finally free. I use sinequan with xanax.

Related Reading: sinequan | xanax

Comment from: 5ofsix, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 04

I am prescribed this to help with pain management for a returning brain tumor. Non malignant

Related Reading: pain management | brain tumor

Comment from: capless, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 20

I had my first episode of severe depression/anxiety in 1992. Several anti-depressents were tried and a combination of Prozac and Doxepin seemed to work. After a few weeks my anxiety level began to intensify. The Prozac was "over-stimulating" and discontinued. I remained on the Doxepin and my anxiety decreased and my mood significantly improved. Through the years I have had trials with the newer drugs (SSRI) and the side effects were awful. Doxepin is the only one in the TCA class that works for me. The weight gain is an annoying problem but I don't think I'd be alive to worry about it if I didn't take this med.

Related Reading: depression | prozac | doxepin

Comment from: AJP, 45-54 (Patient) Published: January 23

I was put on 125 mg of Sinequan for insomnia and anxiety two weeks after a death in the family. A mild tranquilizer and sleeping pill would have been much better and effective. Side effects: Extreme fatigue, weight gain of about 60 lbs in a month, made my nose so dry that it started bleeding, and worst of all, developed Restless Legs Syndrome, which is now chronic. I would avoid this drug entirely or at least ask for a low dose of it.

Related Reading: insomnia | fatigue

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 28

I was given this med because my doc said it was a sleep med. It has been the total opposite for me. He doubled my dose and I wake up 3 hrs later and still no sleep.

Learn to Spot Depression: Symptoms, Warning Signs, Medication See Slideshow
Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 30

I have been prescribed this med on two different occassions for chronic urticaria (hives that itch horribly over 30% or more of my body that last longer than three weeks at a time....have had them up to 8 months non-stop). This med combined with other OTC antihistamines completely alleviated my problem. I only take 10 mg each night for 3-4 weeks during flare ups now. Main complaints: dry mouth and extreme drop in libido due to decreased lubrication.

Related Reading: hives | itch | dry mouth

Comment from: (Patient) Published: June 09

I was prescribed this medication after the death of my mother and my divorce. This medication did not help me at all. I am not happy with the excessive weight gain. With all the exercise and dieting the weight will not come off. What a waste taking this medicine

Comment from: Ken, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My neurologist prescribed this for peripheral neuropathy pain 15 years ago. I'm 65 yrs old & take 50 mg. daily. I can walk now without pain. This RX is useful for more than depression.

Related Reading: peripheral neuropathy | depression

Comment from: TessAnn818, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 29

I switched to this medication from an SSRI that was unsuccessful in helping my anxiety and depression. I really do like the effects of the Doxepin. It helps me fall asleep and stay asleep, reduces anxiety and OCD, and improves my mood. I do have dry mouth sometimes to the point that I feel like I have cotton mouth and no amount of water helps. This medication greatly reduced my sex drive so that isn't fun but it has been great for my anxiety and depression so I have stuck with it.

Related Reading: anxiety | doxepin

Comment from: Mike, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 31

I have been on a single 10mg Doxepin capsule daily for years. I take it just before going to bed. I've been skipping it every other day for about 3 weeks, due to being close to running out of them. My mail order pharmacy screwed up the newest prescription date my doctor called in to them early November, and they wouldn't release them to me. I only now (12/30/14) appear to have finally got that issue cleared up. Anyway, it appears that me missing taking this every day has caused me to relapse into a depressive state now and again. Anxiety, fear of death, and crying. Can just taking this drug for every other day (rather than daily as I'm supposed to) for 3 weeks cause a relapse such as this? I wouldn't have believed it, but something is sure going on. I have about enough pills left to last me 2 weeks (if taken every day). Hopefully the pharmacy will send the new ones before them. If anybody has a comment for me, please leave one. Thanks!

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: not happy, 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 16

does not help and having a hard time sleeping