Skelaxin

Comment from: bigdog773, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 19

I was in a traffic accident years ago, as a result almost all the cervical (neck) and all the low back disks are bulging with one actually touching the one below it. I was on Celebrex for years and it did a good job however, my stomach was giving me problems alone with the lower bowl. I was put on this medication and it really works well, and acutually helps me sleep at night. I am wide awake during the daytime and really think this drug is great! Retired Peace Officer

Related Reading: celebrex

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 03

This is the best muscle relaxer on the market that I have found! You don't get the laziness or a case of the blah's. Its' only effect is it relaxes your muscles and you can still function otherwise. It is kinda expensive and Dr.'s, for some reason, have issues with prescribing it. I love it and I have major muscle problems from my head down to my butt. You have to make sure you take it as prescribed because I think it's addictive, though I'm not sure.

Comment from: skelaxinfanT, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 29

I have Spondyloesthesis, problems with deteriorated cartilage between L4 and L5 and a bulging disc. I will eventually have to have surgery to correct. I have been taking Skelaxin for years and love it! It doesn't make me drowsy and I personally have never experienced any side effects. Takes the edge off the pain and allows you to go on with life without feeling like a zombie. Dr initially suggested Oxy and I said no way, just want something to help me deal with the pain to get through the bad days. A nice alternative to heavier meds, doesn't totally alleviate the pain but makes it more bearable.

Related Reading: skelaxin

Comment from: kathy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 26

Despite taking only one dose at 12 noon, experienced trouble falling asleep, then frequent waking and constant leg muscle twitching. I did not feel any relief from the muscle spasms in my neck. This is the second and LAST time that I will take this medication. It feels as though there is added caffeine or amphetamine in this med.

Related Reading: muscle spasms | amphetamine

Comment from: droobie26, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 06

Skelaxin when compared to other muscle-relaxants is a bit different. If you have prior experience taking another medication i.e. Flexeril or Zanaflex, I think you may be disappointed with Skelaxin. While working in similar ways to reduce spasms in various muscular tissue, Skelaxin does this in a much milder manner. To elaborate, Skelaxin does not leave the user feeling "zombified" or groggy as other muscle relaxants do. If you have ever been prescribed Xanax (alprazolam) or other benzodiazipines, the overwhelming feeling of calmness and reduced inhibition is very similar. For minor sprains, spasms, and/or strains, this medicine is great. People with previous history of alcohol or substance would be wise to start with Skelaxin as it poses a much lower risk for negative side effects and abuse.

Related Reading: flexeril | zanaflex | xanax

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 07

Finely after 2 yrs. of hurting,knees, lower back.have taken difference muscle relaxers, none worked.After taking SKELAXIN/METAXALONE finely I have one thats works. no side affects.I finelly feel like a new person!!!!!!

Related Reading: skelaxin | metaxalone

Comment from: Wendlynn, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 18

I had Anterior cervical diskectomy with fusion on C-5 c-6 with peek interbody fusion with plating. I was perscribed Flexeril 10mg before surgery. It made my spasms 10 times worse. I refused to take the medication. After surgery my nurse brought medications to my room one of the Flexeril tablets included. I refused my doctor changed my medication to Skelaxin 800mg. I was very skepcital worried it would cause even more pain. However it has worked very well and I am thankful to have it in my recovery.

Comment from: Moparman, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 12

I am being treated for herniated cervical discs, muscle spasms and trigger points causing radiating pain in both arms (not usually at the same time). I told the doctor I wouldn't take cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril) anymore due to the grogginess that lasted more than 12 hours. He prescribed the 400mg Skelaxin (metaxalone) but they quit making the 400mg dose. So I take 1/2 tablet when needed. Also, I ALWAYS take it with food, as this increases its effectiveness 4X! YES! Four times more with food. Also, it prevents the upset stomach/nausea that accompany this medication.

Related Reading: muscle spasms | cyclobenzaprine | flexeril

Comment from: satified user, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 27

SKELAXIN Users, I have read the reviews of this product and want to comment on this product based on my own experience for the last twenty months with this med. Two weeks ago I finally got the real deal, because the pharmacy was out of the generic substitute they have been giving me the whole twenty months. There is no comparison between the generic and the real deal. The real deal works great. If you are one of the people taking Skelaxin/Metaxilone, and it is not doing anything for you, you may be getting the generic/knock-off and not the real deal. Check with your pharmacist, your Dr. and insist on the real deal, it works great. If you need it, you should be getting it, the real stuff! A satisfied user.

Related Reading: skelaxin

Comment from: 55-64 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 01

SKELAXIN IS A WONDER DRUG FOR ME. ORIGINALLY I WAS GIVEN THIS AS A MUSCLE RELAXER, WHICH IT DOES QUITE WELL. HOWEVER THE WONDERFUL SIDE EFFECT IS THAT IT WORKS GREAT AS A PAIN RELIEVER WHEN I HAVE A BOUGHT OF FIBROMYALGIA! I CAN ALSO USE IT WHILE WORKING WITHOUT GROGINESS. I DON'T USE IT DAILY, ONLY WHEN NEEDED.

Related Reading: fibromyalgia

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 08

My docter has givin this medication to me off and on for the past two years i keep telling him that i don't feel a difference when i take it. I have severe boldging of the discs and pain constantly from this but he insist it works but i don't think it works for me

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 26

This medicatuion is a joke for muscle spasm relief.Skelaxin is actualy a mild sedative and doctors only believe it works because it is a sedative.Anybody who says it works never had a real problem in the first place.I was given it for a muscle spasm in my upper back and took it for a week and my injury got worse and I had to go to the hospital to get a real muscle relaxer so I could get better.I almost lost my job because of skelaxin and the fact it didn't work at all.

Related Reading: skelaxin

Comment from: mamabear, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 15

Don't take this terrible drug! It doesn't relieve anything; causes bad side effects: insomnia,nervous like you're on uppers,bad dreams,ankle swelling, thighs itched,muscle cramps in calves,dizziness,rapid heartrate,lowered blood pressure,headache & stomach problems. I felt so drugged the second day I couldn't function. Had I taken the full dose with a pain pill I'd be in the hospital!

Related Reading: insomnia | muscle cramps | dizziness

Comment from: feeling better!, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 11

I have had back spasms that come out of nowhere at times, that literally drop me to my knees. I can't take vicodin & don't really like taking any habit forming drugs. My physician gave me Skelaxin & upon taking the first dosage, I felt my muscles relax. I wasn't drowsy from it either. The only side effect was I had a headache the first day or two. It was prescribed for only short term usage. I would recommend this product if asked.

Related Reading: vicodin | headache

Comment from: katiem, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 27

I have used Skelaxin 800 mg 3x daily since 2001 following cervical fracture and resultant osteoarthritis. Was unable to use Skelaxin during a period without health insurance and noticed a dramatic improvement in symptoms once drug was restarted. Highly recommend Skelaxin; it's been wonderful for me!

Related Reading: skelaxin | osteoarthritis

Comment from: phoenix, 25-34 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

Back/Neck pain. This was given to me as an alternative to "sleepy" muscle relaxors. 3 times a day. My pain was so severe I could not sit through a 3 hour class, could not even sleep and had to manipulate my head with my hands to lay down. After taking these pills for 4 days the effect was nothing. Upset stomach for the side-effect was pretty discomforting. I guess from the reviews this drug either works wonder or does nothing at all (except for the side effects).

Related Reading: neck pain

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 15

I was prescribed this medicine about 40 years ago. I had started having severe bouts of restless leg syndrom after my 2nd child was born. They were eespecially bad when flying or 8 hour+ car trips. It always worked very well. I tore my rotator cuffs about 15 years ago. One was repaired but lasted only 3 years. I was getting steroid shots in my shoulders for almost all that time. Then recently they stopped helping. An MRI showed that my shoulders were in such bad shape the doctors recommended a reverse should replacement on both shoulders. I looked the proceedure up on the web, read a paper presented to the national Orthopedic Conference, and after seeing the very many things that could happen during the proceedure and the fact that it was NOT recommended for the elderly (I am 72) decided I would do without it. The deltoid muscles and muscles in my neck now cramp terribly from time to time, as they are doing all the work to hold my shoulders and arms together. I have found once again this medication is the only thing that helps. I certainly don't want to get hooked on the opiate drugs I was given for pain, and use them very sparingly in half the dose they recommended. I tried other muscle relaxants when Humana refused to pay for Skelaxin, but they gave me tremendous migrains. So now I pay cash for Skelaxin (100$ a pop) and break the pill in half 90% of the time. Usually that is enough to make the pain barable. I have had no side effects, and my doctor keeps a check on my liver function. I would never recommend using alchol before or after taking a dose, due to possible liver damage. However, tylenol has caused more liver malfunctions, in fact is a leading cause of it, I have read in some medical journals, than I have seen about Skelaxin.

Related Reading: liver | tylenol

Comment from: Jack67, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 01

As one can see from other reviews, Skelaxin works wonders for some and is much less effective for others. I am one of the lucky ones. I had muscle spasms in my lower back so severe, I could hardly walk. After 2 days on Skelaxin, the spasms went away completely, I stopped taking the Skelaxin and the spasms have never recurred (4 years now).

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: Hall, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 08

I have a herniated disc in my lower back. The pain was a 10+ at it's worst. I recieved a series of spinal injections which helped a lot but the pain would slowly come back. I had been prescribed Flexerill but quit taking it because it completely spaced me out. My doctor then presribed Skelaxin to take with Voltaren. I've had great results with no side effects at all and I can actually function while taking it. I usually only take two a day.

Related Reading: herniated disc | voltaren

Comment from: choose5, 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 01

Not as drowsy as Flexeril and works better on loosening neck and back muscle knots, which I seem to get from mental stress. No other side effects for me.

Related Reading: flexeril | stress

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 10

My physician prescribed this for me after unsuccessful treatments of headaches with other medicine. This help relax the muscles in my neck that cause the headaches. Take 800mg before bed...and am usually all better in the morning. Would recommend this. I didnt experience any side effects at all. Works great!

Comment from: Fibromaiden, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 29

Have had FMS for years, but also, recently have a herniated disc L5/S1 giving more extreme pains and spasms localized in my back and left leg... I think I have had every possible side effect. Rash, tiny bumps allover torso. Palpitations, heart racing, High BP, more asthma type problems than normal, couln't sleep, it was like I was on a pot or two of coffee. Bad dreams, terrible headaches, very sick stomach...but the very worse side effect that I noticed was my mood changing into depressive mode! Not a good place to have your head at when you are suffering from excruciating back, and leg spasms. Please people read all the side effects...And do not, I repeat do not pay for it until you try it out! Ask for samples first! I really envy those that have had good results...I hope those that come here to read up on this med will read all of the entries! Consider the risks and if you are one that often has side effects to a lot of these types of medications be very wary!

Related Reading: herniated disc | rash | palpitations

Comment from: Princessm0del, 19-24 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 08

I had extreme stomach aches, and a hard time sleeping while taking this medicine.

Comment from: Sara H., 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 31

This is the best of the best muscle relaxer ever, it doesn't have any side effects like flexeril, and I was also have severe panic attacks and when I take this, it stops them in just a few minutes.

Related Reading: flexeril | panic attacks

Comment from: RenaRn, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 29

I can't take narcotics and Flexiril makes me so sleepy. Skelaxin worked right away, I am able to go to work without feeling like a zombie

Pharmacy Editor: Eni Williams, PharmD, PhD