Solu Medrol

Comment from: es1968, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 13

I had my first MS flare up in 4 years. I lost mobility in my lower back, had pain in my right arm, and had the "MS Hug" sensation. I completed a 3 day Solumedrol IV treatment and a 6 day oral prednisone taper. All my symptoms have completly gone away. I have had solumedrol on 4 different occasions over the past 14 years with the usual weight gain, bloating,sleeplessness, etc. This timer I did not gain weight, felt really sleppy annd mellow throughtout the treatment and now I feel GREAT! *One trick I learned is to suck on a cinnamon candy or fireball during the infusion....it really cuts the metalic taste that you get during the infusion.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Bill86404, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 15

2nd series in 7 months. 3 days x 1gm via IV in 250ml .9% sodium chloride drip. Typical side effects. Bad taste, increased anxiety, some insomnia. Results - walking ability greatly improved, pain diminished. Other MS symptoms diminished (I have a lot of the symptoms). Overall I hate IV but I do this because the results are so substantial for me. It has been the only real relief I get. Prednizone (sp) also gave some relief to symptoms but quickly diminished within a day of last oral med dosage.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia

Comment from: 357sig, 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 29

Told Docs at hosp that if they had to give me any drug that stimulates my adrenal glands, they would need to strap me down and knock me out. One day they might listen to me. 1.5 hrs after starting IV drip, I went bezerk. Sweating,rage, headache,muscle pain, got so upset I walked out of the hosp. and put my fist in a metal stop sign which tore it off it's metal pole. like taking a shot of pure speed. Hosp security brought me the sign as a momento! When will they ever learn that we know our bodies better then they and that every person is diffirent.

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: kabreez24, 25-34 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: August 28

Always leaves a bad taste and muscle aches at withdrawl time but well worth the relief from the MS syptoms. I have had everything from weak legs to dizziness to optic neuritis and it always clears things up withing a day or so to a week. Warn your friends about mood swings and stay positive :)

Related Reading: dizziness | optic neuritis

Comment from: kat, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 27

I did the first run pre-diagnosis. I was losing my vision at an alarming rate. I did my first day and then went out with my mom. I was actually scared when someone showed up in my periphial vision because it had been months. I was overjoyed with the results and I am no looking forward to my next run this week for my left side weakness and vision problems because I know it will help. Side effects are bearable. I was super hyper but, my neuro offset that with Xanax, which really helped. The only unexpected was that I had to remove the IV myself. I have a friend who is an EMT so he did it for me, but I would have freaked out if I had to do it myself!

Related Reading: xanax

Comment from: raerae977, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 15

It stopped my symptoms immediately. Does leave a bad taste in your mouth and I have swollen all over and I have some stomach trouble because of the treatment, but the side effects aren't near as bad as not being able to walk or move. Would do it again when needed.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 11

I was hospitalized 8/2/13. My blood was checked and was told my white blood cell count was 15,000. I was told I needed to be admitted to Morton Plant Hospital, Fl. A neurologist told me he prescribed me for solu Medrol for 4 days. 3 hours after being admitted I was given Solu Medrol through a vein in my right arm. It took about 27 minutes. Within 3 hours I began to feel stronger and able to move my right foot. I was given the drug Saturday and Sunday at about the same time for 27 minutes. On Monday I received at about 830 for one hour.

Related Reading: solu medrol | medrol

Comment from: lmarsden, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 28

bad taste in mouth for days....got really sick the last day of treatment....muscles hurt all over....i am not sure if i would do it again

Comment from: joyffree, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 09

I have undergone IV treatment with Solu Medrol on a few different occasions. I have had MS for over 15 years.The idea is to assist your body in a quicker (like a jump start) recovery from a relapse. Yes it has some really crappy side effects but when you consider the end result (I was paralyzed from the waist down and after treatment and pt I was able to walk again) they are worth it. It leaves a terrible taste in my mouth, elevates my sugar levels, makes me want to throw up (I get an rx for that previous to starting IV)and usually leaves me feeling pretty weak for the week following. The side effects are things you need to consider and weigh honestly.

Related Reading: solu medrol

Comment from: Pjbir, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 06

Had MS exacerbation. Had solumedrol IV therapy tx 5 days for 11/2 hour session. The extra tx really helped!

Comment from: Mammabee, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 30

I find that what every one is sayiny is correct, I feel great from the ms part, but the side effects from this drug are horrible I dont like the way I feel from it, very dizzy weak and not myself it has only been 3 days since I have been off the drug, all I can say is I hope it gets better!!!!

Comment from: thereseg79, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 26

I had a 3 day high dose IV course to treat optic nueritis. It made the eye pain go away. Still waiting on vision loss to recover. I have the worser heart palpitations, headache, dizziness, and stomach upset ever. I hate it.

Related Reading: palpitations | headache | dizziness

Comment from: chieyann, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 12

this is a lot easier then taking a load of pills or having to do injections in the stomach or anywhere else.....horrible taste...nothing takes the test away...but its well worth it, thought i would never feel my leg again but this medication has proved me wrong every time i had an episode....

Comment from: Mswoman, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 29

Hated this medicine. Side effects out weighed any good. The headaches, weight gain, tinny taste left in my mouth made me sick.

Comment from: ttmarch03, 25-34 (Patient) Published: April 16

Worst part was getting a vein to cooperate. Minimal side effects, worst was the taste. It did treat my symptoms but still have some? Would take again if I absolutely had to.

Comment from: trinah80, 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: December 17

I love this drug, it helps with any MS symptoms I am having. I do 5 days of the IV when I need to. Does leave a tinny taste in your mouth but Wintergreen Breath mints help with that, as far as sleep my Dr prescribed sleeping pills, also prescribed Zantac for the sour stomach.

Related Reading: zantac

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 10

I had an MS flair and this drug really helped. I took five days of the medication and it cleared my symptoms up very quickly. Leaves a really bad taste in the back of your throat though. Have had a few anger issues but nothing really severe, got over it pretty quickly.

Comment from: margaret621, 45-54 on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: August 17

takes an hour to find a good vein. leaves a terrible taste. cannot drink waterm it tastes so bad. but other than that so far so good.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: April 30

Received 60 mg dose daily while admitted to hospital. Had onset of excruciating migraine after first dose and this has lasted several days. Headache was much worse than the symptoms needing the drug

Related Reading: headache

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

If use so takes a little time out of your day but really jump starts recovery. Took for ms flare up for partial loss of leg function. The bad taste is only about 2 hours and not worth worrying about.

Comment from: 35-44 Published: October 30

My husband received 125mg Solumedrol the day after being stung by a bee because his hand was swollen. An hour after the drug was administered, he went into cardiac arrest and passed away. He was 43 with no heart problems. Safe? I don't think so.

Comment from: millermegp, 65-74 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 09

My husband has Copd and the Dr. gives him this instead of Prednisone and now he is having delusions or hilunations and mental stress. he is nervous and uncontrolable. and very unable to balance. what is the problem

Related Reading: prednisone | stress

Comment from: c , 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: February 02

Son died severe negative reactions : seizures, fast heart rate, slow wound healing, sudden high blood sugar & diabetic, extreme swelling eyes, face, whole body, bruising & discoloration face, legs, whole body, rash, rapid weight gain & fluid retention, bleeding ulcer that perforated, low platelets, abdominal distention, fever & chills, trouble urinating & finally cardiac arrest ..2 gastroenterologists& 1 TRAUMA surgeon said caused by solumedrol given for pneumonia ..should have been weaned off after 2-3 weeks. Son died given for pneumonia ..should have been weaned off after 2-3 weeks. Caused seizures, rapid heart rate, slow wound healing, high blood sugar & sudden diabetic symptoms, rapid extreme swelling face, eyes, legs, whole body,, abdominal distention, low platelets, bruising & discoloration, rapid weight gain, rash, Bleeding Ulcers that perforated into abdominal cavity, fever & chills & finally cardiac arrest

Related Reading: rash | fever | pneumonia

Comment from: lolojp81, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. I also have MS. The infection caused my optical nerve to swell which is causing blurred vision and pain. I was given iv drips of solu medrol for 5 days and have seen little to no change in my progress.

Related Reading: sinus infection | solu medrol

Comment from: gabe2009, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: October 11

My husband was given solu medrol injections because he has COPD and cannot breathe. This drug caused him to be combative, unreasonable, argumentative, someetimes staring into space and cannot hear what is being said to him. Recently, I asked the doctor to take him off prednizone which has some horrible side effects and the dr. put him on this solu medrol which is worse thn anything I have ever witnessed. I feel as if I should report the doctor due to giving my husband bad and dangerous drugs.

Related Reading: copd | medrol