Sonata

Comment from: poohbahcj, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: April 07

I take zaleplon (the generic form of Sonata) when I wake up in the middle of the night after sleeping only 4-5 hours. I am wide awake at this time and find that if I do nothing, I can't get back to sleep for at least another 2 hours. Since this medication is effective for only a few hours, I take a pill. It works quickly (10-20 minutes) and I sleep for another 3-4 hours which does give me a nice full night's sleep. Because of its short-term effectiveness, I awake without any feeling of grogginess. I have been using this medication for years now with absolutely no side effects.

Related Reading: sonata

Comment from: suzieq, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 13

Seems when I take this medication , I am awake all night long , like tonight, It is 3:03 A.M. and took the medication @ 10:30 P.M.

Comment from: jaxbear, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 16

I have always had trouble sleeping: falling and sleeping through the night. Sonata helps me fall asleep fast but not through an 8 hour night. Also, I have very vivid or strange dreams when I use it. Does anyone else have this side effect?

Comment from: dewthedew69, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 24

to the people that say its doesn't last too long , well they are right its supposed to work for up to 4 hours, its main use is to put you to sleep, thats why you would take ambien which is a full 8 hour dose but then you will feel hung over and groggy the next day, any other questions about sleep aids feel free 2 ask me ive taken them all

Related Reading: ambien

Comment from: wadoz, Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 16

I took sonata for aprox.two years It has to be the best insomnia drug I have ever used. I have been off of sonata for aprox. 1- 1 1/2. My insurance started to renew it. I never experianced any withdrawal symptoms. since then I have been prescribed Lunesta, Ambiem cr, restoril...,none of these have helped much infact they tend to screwup my sleep patterns. With the sonata I was able to get to sleep fast and was up and ready to go by 5 or 6 am. Every day. Now if I sleep at all, i tend to sleep till 10-noon. which is unacceptable. Nuff said. Wadoz

Related Reading: sonata | insomnia | lunesta

Comment from: sleepless in NE, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 05

The last time I had a good nights sleep was the last time I took sonata. Unfortunatly the drug is not approved for long time use. I used it for 3 wks off and on. My dr wouldn't give me anymore so i spent the next several weeks NOT sleeping at all. I liked the deep sleep it put me in, I didn't wake up in a fog. The only thing I didn't like was i knew exactly when the pill wore off....because I woke up immediately. Still only slept about 6 hrs, but it was a deep restfull sleep. I don't think i have ever slept all night without waking up. My hubby does it all the time...i know this cause I watch him sleep...ARGH!!

Comment from: C.J., 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: November 07

Sonata has worked extremely well for me. I have had sleep problems periodically for my entire life. I usually fall asleep easily, but during stressful times, I tend to wake up at 3:00 a.m. without being able to fall back to sleep. Because Sonata works for just 4 hours, I can take it only on the nights that I need it. I take it at 3:00 a.m. I took Ambien for a long while, and didn't like it because I felt stupid and hung-over in the morning. Also, I don't like taking a prescription sleep drug every night. Sonata has been my 'miracle' drug for a few years now. Some weeks I don't take it at all, but the security of having a reliable sleep-solution in my medicine cabinet means that I sleep better, even on some nights whenI don't take it! (Also, Sonata is the perfect sleep-aid for long air flights and as an aid to recover from jet-lag.)

Related Reading: ambien

Comment from: SG24, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 10

I have had serious problems falling asleep for over a year. I tried many sleeping pills to help me but none were very effective and had side effects from Lunesta. The best thing about Sonata is that it metabolizes in about an hour or two, so you will have no effects in the morning. I was prescribed this by a sleep doctor, he told me it is mainly used for people that wake up during the night and cant go back to sleep. It is non-habit forming, I only take it when I need it.

Comment from: dknakal, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 03

My Dr. has put me on this and I've been on this over a year now. No side effects and I feel so rested. No more crankiness or falling asleep. I just wonder if it's ok to be taking it for so long.

Comment from: ann, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 12

i love this i have tried every thing out there and now that im on this i dont go days without sleep and if i wake up in the middle of the night i can take one to help fall back to sleep without worring about it afecting my morning

Comment from: rosealee, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: July 17

I had a personality change after taking Sonata; I finally could stop trying to hide how cranky I always felt from lack of sleep. We tried a few other sleep aids, even tried Lorazapam which I might have well been taking candy considering the lack of effect from that. Due to an underlying condition I have used Sonata for about 7 years. I had to take 2 each night. Last month, my insurance will no longer approve 2 saying that the drug company recommends only 1. I have been miserable. Not withdrawal, just not sleeping. Does anyone know of something close to Sonata? I don't want to take Ambien or Lunesta.

Related Reading: sonata | ambien | lunesta

Comment from: Ditz, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 09

This medication helped me fall asleep fast, but I was only able to sleep a total of 2-4 hours per night.

Comment from: tdcinc2005, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 24

My grandmother has been taken this and was just taken off of it and has gotten a addiction to it. Shes giving the family lots of problems because of it.

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 17

Taken only once - fell asleep fast but woke much too early - unable to go back to sleep but still very tired. Horrible low weepy mood next day - worse than a simple bad night's sleep. Will not take again as it seems to have a very depressive effect on me.

Comment from: Renosh, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 15

I've never had trouble falling asleep - just staying asleep -taken Sonata in the past - worked great. AND it worked for full night for me. However, I was just given "generic" Sonato. Slept good - more of hangover effect early morning. But the worst was having a full day of Extremely negative thoughts - tears all day long - and insides jittering until I thought I'd die. I will not take another pill

Comment from: JB CHARLIE, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

This was the WORST I have ever taken. I took it at 10 and never went to sleep until 5AM and then had horrible nightmares. I was not able to move my right arm and little for the left. A walking zombie the next day and nauseated. Pitching these after trying it twice.

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: Kitnb, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 11

When I first tried Sonata, it took 6 hours to work. I do have delayed sleep phase syndrome. So, maybe thats why. It gave me heart palpitations, nightmares, for the few hours it worked for. I tried it again,& again & did not doña thing for me, even when I doubled the dose

Related Reading: palpitations

Comment from: 13-18 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 05

I had horrible side effects from this. I changed my behaviour when I was on this, making me very aggressive, and agitated. I also hallucinated when I took it. It also never really worked on putting me to sleep, which was always my main problem, but it did keep me asleep once I took it, which was my second problem although not as severe.

Comment from: Susan, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 04

I have tried several otc brands and I would get results of 5-7 hours of sleep maybe twice a week. With this I have been sleeping 4 hours to the most and tried this I slept for 1 1/2 hours woke up been up 2 hours trying to go back to sleep very disappointed. I had horrible visions on a differant RX I dont know what to do anymore. Any suggestions

Sleep Disorders: Foods That Help Sleep or Keep You Awake See Slideshow
Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 11

i fell asleep quickly. however you feelyou need another one. i t only kept me asleep 1-4 hours

Comment from: whitetip_24, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 26

It worked quickly but I woke up not drowsey. I felt like I could start immediatly and felt really great and not drowsey

Comment from: sleepless in DE, 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 14

I was on Ambien and doctor changed to Sonata. First first dose I could not sleep and experienced bad headache. Worst was the hallucinations. This is not for me.

Related Reading: ambien | sonata | headache

Comment from: wideawake, 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 28

My Dr. prescribed these for me as I was having trouble staying asleep. I took one at 11pm, and it is now 4:22am, and I am still wide awake with racing heart. Back to trazadone I go.

Comment from: charleneinfla, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 07

This just did not work for me at all, I was up for hours after taking it and would have to take an OTC just to get some sleep. It is not for people with true sleeping disorders.

Comment from: 19-24 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 02

I usually have trouble falling asleep every so often--- This helps me fall asleep immediately without feeling drowsy in the morning. It also doesn't affect my sleep when I don't take it.