Spiriva

Comment from: starion, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 27

It's MUCH more convenient than taking Atrovent multiple times/day & I've been taking it daily since shortly after FDA approval in 2004. Very effective, long-lasting med which is helpful for COPD patients especially. Side effects are pretty mild (at least for me). It may be causing slightly elevated resting heart rate, but otherwise haven't noticed side effects as long as I take it in the morning (believe it might keep me awake if I took it in the evening instead). Have suggested they make the capsule fully or partly clear so patients can see the powder in the capsule before they take their med & no powder after they've taken their med. BI (manufacturer) says they'll consider the suggestion, which has been implemented in some other countries.

Related Reading: copd

Comment from: shortcake53, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 13

I've been thinking everything was fine. The drug appears to work quite well. Today, though, I went to my eye doctor and he told me I am beginning to experience signs of macular degeneration. I am only 55. I have been on Spiriva for one year and nine months and it has been almost exactly two years since my last eye appt. I had noticed problems with my eyesight and I had read that one could experience changes in vision with this drug. Has anyone else out there had any such diagnoses?

Related Reading: macular degeneration | spiriva

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 20

Increased risk of a Stroke using Spiriva. The FDA released a statement on 3/18/08 that Tiotropium (marketed as Spiriva HandiHaler) Audience: Pulmonary care health professionals and patients [Posted 03/18/2008] Boehringer Ingelheim and FDA notified healthcare professionals that ongoing safety monitoring has identified a possible increased risk of stroke in patients who take Spiriva. I suggest that you contact your Physician immediately as I am doing. This is the FDA webpage that discusses this problem. http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety/2008/safety08.htm#Tiotropium

Related Reading: stroke | tiotropium

Comment from: grumpybear, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 16

Really dry mouth, water retention, sinus irritation and congestion, bad nose bleeds, chest pain, increased pressure in eyes, blurred vision. All around feeling bad all over.

Related Reading: chest pain

Comment from: bazza, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 16

the treatment is fine , what irks me is the large proportion of empty capsules in a pack !it is quite often that i insert capsule and suk hard on it only to find no powder,and say this happens on average 3/10 capsules-please sort it out.

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 Female on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 03

My wife and I also experienced empty capsules. I complained and was told that we were not using the Handi-haler correctly?? What could be easier? They said they would get back to me.That was 6 months ago. This drug is too expensive to have nothing in the capsule!

Comment from: mamoo, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 02

I really like spiriva. It helps me breath easier, even if I am already having some bronchospasm. I can use it and it will help. But it is quite expensive. And I feel it is wasteful to sell the handihaler in every box. I think it would save money for them and for me if they would offer it without the handihaler. I am sure some people would buy it and use it more if it were cheaper. You don't need a new handihaler in every box!Thank you [email protected]

Related Reading: spiriva

Comment from: jesse, 55-64 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 11

This drugs is like a miracle for COPD but the side effects I experienced - anxiety, insomnia, depression, weight gain - have been so severe I've had to stop using it.

Related Reading: anxiety | insomnia | depression

Comment from: bob, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 25

have used abt 6 weeks...for the last full week have been experiencing severe stomach cramps, burning sensations, bloated, difficulty breathing because of this. also, stomach pain encircles body to include back pain...never had any of this before spiriva...WILL STOP

Related Reading: spiriva

Comment from: tarheel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 15

My allergist/asthma Doc prescribed Advair and I had a number of side effects including pneumonia about two months after starting it. I was referred to a pulmunologist who immediately changed me to Spiriva. No problems with the Spiriva except maybe a little dry mouth. I have not been rinsing after taking Spiriva. I've been glad to get off the steroid in the Advair. Agree with the comments that the capsule should be clear to verify that there is content and that all is used.

Related Reading: asthma | pneumonia | spiriva

Comment from: [email protected], 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 13

I am concerned about the Journal of American Medical Association letter regarding the possibility of stroke for Spiriva users

Related Reading: stroke

Comment from: bootie, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: June 30

my only problem with all breathing medications be it Spiriva or any other is the cost of the co-pays.But Spiriva is up there at the top of the list. I realize it cost money to produce these meds. Has anyone thought how we can afford them? insurance or not they are too expensive in the u.s.a. thanks.

Comment from: Helen Lovebuggie, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 21

I just started this drug after using the other drug ADVAIR for two years and this seems to be much better than the Advair! Hopefully I can remain on this and using only once a day instead of twice is more convenient also!!!

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: July 18

Have just started taking,but I quit. Have insomnia,constipation,rapid heartbeat,dry mouth,numbing in feet,headaches,and bouts of crying,also blurred vision.All this in 8 days. The only good was my wheezing improved,that isn't worth all the negatives.

Related Reading: insomnia | constipation | dry mouth

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 07

I have experienced sleeplessness, muscle spasms and involuntary tics in my feet, ankles and neck, and the constipation and trouble urinating that others mention. I'm not sure this is a good drug.

Related Reading: muscle spasms

Comment from: [email protected], 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: March 11

It has worked very well for me with my breathing problems, but I need to know, does it contain any steroids, because it seems my weight is going up and I am in a fitness class, I do not abuse food, but can't figure out why the weight gain.

Related Reading: fitness

Comment from: Joe S. Jenkins, 65-74 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 06

To many of the capsules are empty. With the cost of this med. you should have a better way to QC your product. I depend on it to help my breathing and it lets me down far to often. Please take this into consideration and help those of us who depend on it for a good quality of life.

COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips See Slideshow
Comment from: tidbit, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 21

HAS HELPED ME BREATHE MUCH BETTER AND HAVE NO SIDE EFFECTS SO FAR, CANNOT TAKE ADVAIR OR SYMBICORT THEY CAUSE SEVERE STOMACH UPSET AND PAIN, DIZZINESS MUCH MORE WHEEZING AND MORE TROUBLE BREATHING. I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE A CLEAR CAPSULE, I INHALE MINE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE THEN INHALE AGAIN DON'T KNOW IF IT HELPS.

Related Reading: symbicort | dizziness

Comment from: Abjoy814, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 05

Been using it for 2 years. NO side effects. Insurance will no longer pay for it & I have to switch to Advair. Unhappy about this.

Comment from: breather., 75 or over on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 25

I was happy to hear that someone else besides me is tired of paying $240.00 per month for thirty capsules and getting only 27 or 28. Someone should be held responsible for the disparity. If the treatment were not good I would not use it but, it works for me...

Comment from: stormymajor, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: January 20

Spiriva works really well for me with the exception of the empty capsules. Many of the capsules in each box I receive are empty, and as much as this medication costs this should be the exception, not the rule. I do appreciate what it does for me, however I don't appreciate only getting a portion of my medication.

Related Reading: spiriva

Comment from: pararex, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

I Have Been a COPD Sufferer For The Last 6 Years. I see where others have posted that Spiriva did not help them. Spiriva does not act overnite. I Would Say Give It About 3-6 Months For 100% relief. It Has Helped Me & Probably Saved My Airways From Closing. I Do hope Everyone Give It A Reasonable Time Length To Be effective.

Related Reading: copd

Comment from: Barb, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 13

Diagnosed with Mod. COPD. Been on this med. for 5 days, no improvement. The only thing it has given me are heart palpitations. I'm on Symbicort as well. I love riding my bike (10+ miles per day), but the COPD restricts that now. Spiriva/Symbicort combo is worthless. I have more mucous and chest tightness now than before I started these meds. I'm an ex-smoker (2 1/2 packs - 31 years); quit 12 years ago. Doc says I've probably had COPD for many years, the symptoms are just now surfacing. Chest x-ray clear, lungs clear. Spiro test revealed that I have 62% lung function. I have bad allergies and am wondering if that's not most of the problem. I'm going for a 2nd opinion.

Related Reading: palpitations | symbicort

Comment from: 65-74 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: July 08

after about a year on it i got severe bladder discomfort and non emptying problem.had been seen by my doctor and he said urine test was perfect. quit taking because i didn't notice any difference in my breathing and could not afford the high price. within a week my bladder became normal. net is full of stories like mine. i am changing doctors as he should have been aware of this side effect.

Comment from: Grandma2, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: May 01

Using 4 months - concerned with empty capulses. Notified company - said they are aware of problem and are trying to address. Expensive and hope they will resolve, so far find improvement in my condition