Sporanox

Comment from: Apple, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 04

I was prescribed Sporanox for long standing Oral Thrush caused by Seretide Inhaler for COPD. I was also given medications to protect my stomach - first Omeprozole (didn't get on with it, secondly Ranitidine (make me sick and finally Pantoprozole (Protium). I felt pretty unwell over the two months that I was taking these drugs (advising my GP of course).One day my heart rate which is normally 75 shot up to 160 and I was rushed to hospital. The result was anaphylactic shock followed by an angioplasty to put a stent in a 70% blocked Coronary Artery. It appears that the drug mix was to blame as I suffer from COPD and this is contra indicated. I wish my doctor had known that!

Related Reading: sporanox | thrush | copd

Comment from: none, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: June 04

I have a fungal infection of the lungs called blastomycoces. I've been on Sporanox capsules 2 times a day, huge blue pills, since Febuary of 2010. The doctor says I will be on it for another year. For the last two months, May, and June, there has been absolutely no improvement. They are having to test my liver since this med is toxic to the liver and other organs. Has anyone else had this type of fungal infection and if so, how long did it take to recover, and what other side effects have you had?

Related Reading: liver

Comment from: beachlover, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 10

I have ongoing sinus infections which they think has a fungal base. First fungas then bacteria. I have been on IV antibiotics and it helps for awhile. Sporonox is the only thing that keeps me breathing. I have been on it on and off for 4 years. It is not solving the problem but it helps me be somewhat normal.

Comment from: SG, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: February 12

Fungal Sinus infection

Related Reading: sinus infection

Comment from: Rita, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 29

I have a chronic sinus infection that causes my asthma symptoms to flare up and my doctor wants to treat it with this drug. However, the doctor says I will probably have to take it the rest of my life and I'm not sure but what the side effects might not be worse than the problems I am having now. Has anyone used it to treat chronic sinus infection and if so, has it helped and how long have you taken it?

Related Reading: sinus infection | asthma

Comment from: histo_kid, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 29

I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis in my lungs in May 2007 after several trips to the hospital Sporonox work but the side effects got worse first with pain then nightmares now i experance fatigue also trouble sleeping and loss of interest

Related Reading: histoplasmosis | nightmares | fatigue

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 24

My Uncle is a podiatrist and had prescribed all the regular medications normally prescribed but none worked. I went to a doctor appointment and he said I can get rid of that for you and I would try anything. I was a 30 something young woman who loves to dress up and I love sandals in the summertime, painted toenails included. I am vain but I couldn't hide the deformity of the toenails anymore with nail polish! I'd try anything! To my literal amazement the Sporanox I was prescribed worked and worked so well that I told a gentleman at a Corvette Club gathering at a member's pool who looked like he needed it *badly too! When I saw him a few months later he was as gracious as anyone could be and so was I that I could help him smile in his sandals again! I was skeptical when prescribed Sporanox since my Uncle was a well known and well respected podiatrist with a reputation of being one of the best in Indianapolis and he loves me a lot. He couldn't fix my ugly toenails! I had also seen dermatologists who gave me this and that all to no avail! But HAIL Sporanox. I made the mistake of having a pedicure and I once again have that fungus. First, I'll never have another pedicure no matter how good it feels and secondly I've just started Sporanox again. I went years with no fungus infection at all. Probably almost 20 years but I know full well I'll have summer toes once again thanks to Sporanox. You can go through all the different medications prescribed for this problem and when nothing else works get Sporanox! Or just get the good stuff to start with! You'll be glad you did! Honestly!

Comment from: DLH, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 01

TAkes along time to cure the problem. Almost a year now and the infection has not cleared up. Still have signs on one toe. I am a type 2 diabetic.

Comment from: lfields25, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 14

Taking the syrup is like drinking cough syrup and I have GERD so I can't take for an hour after taking liquid Sporonox. Has my whole schedule messed up.

Related Reading: cough | gerd

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 23

In December 2006, I was finally diagnosed with histoplasmosis after several trips to the hospital in the previous two months. I was a kidney transplant patient for almost ten years and the histo was causing me to feel awful all the time, throwing up a lot and losing several pounds. In December when they diagnosed the disease, the fungus was in my lungs, liver, kidney, and brain. I was hospitalized for two months, having to return to dialysis for 14 months. Many doctors thought I was not going to make it, but I pulled through. The sporonox did not taste well, but after a few months of it, I got used to it. I was eventually on it for 1 year. I am doing well now with no recurrences of the histo and with a new transplanted kidney. The medicine is awful tasting, but it kept me histo free.

Related Reading: histoplasmosis | liver

Comment from: kath, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 08

In July 2006, I was diagnosed with Histoplasmosis, one year after a liver transplant. I was very ill for several months. I was hospitalized for several days before diagnosis. I had become very discouraged thinking my transplant recovery was not going as it should. I was not feeling well at all for a long time. The medication has it 'under control', but is difficult to take. 'Two hours after or one hour before food, with water only. Twice a day, 2cc, liquid. It makes me very nauseous, at times vomiting,sleepy, and it causes increaseingly severe leg pain, (and entire body)twitching. The taste is awful and is hard to swallow. I have been put on Requip, now up to 5mg and Skelaxin, three times a day. I take many other medication for anti-rejection and auto-immune hepatitus. The 'histo' can be very dangerous and I appreciate having this med., but my life is far from a quality lifestyle. As I very seldom feel 'well'. Dr. says I may have to take it indefinetly. Anyone else in my situation? K

Related Reading: histoplasmosis | requip | skelaxin

Comment from: wheelieguy, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 12

This medicine worked wonders on treating a misdiagnosed case of Blastomycosis that went untreated for almost six months. By the time I was diagnosed, the blastomycosis had dissemintated from cough with blood to a baseball sized mass in my lung and eventually migrated to my skin. I had over 50 skin lesions and this medicine knocked the infection out after six months of treatment. I am left with the permanent scars on my skin, but my lung healed up without scarring. The only reason I didn't have more stars in my satisfaction is that this drug was $900 a month. After consulting with my veternarian, I could have gotten the same drug from him for $300 a month as Blastomycosis is rather rare in humans with about 1 in 100,000 people getting it a year, however dogs get it quite regularly.

Related Reading: scars

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 10

I had Histoplasmosis in my lungs a few years ago, and have had a lot of complications and pain in my body since then. My doctor prescribed Sporanox after a blood test came back elevated for fungus in my body, turns out the fungus was causing me to not feel well for all this time! I was told it takes a good 4-6 wks to work and all I can say is I haven't felt this good in quite a while, Sporanox has worked wonders for me! As far as side effects go...I've had diarrhea since being on the Sporanox and the taste isn't very pleasant but other then that I've been very satisfied, if you've ever had Histoplasmosis or other invasive fungal infections and still aren't feeling well, go and get a blood test because chances are it could still be "active"

Related Reading: sporanox | diarrhea

Comment from: John H, 75 or over Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 16

It seems to cause me more problems than it cures

Nail Disorders: What Nails Say About Your Health See Slideshow
Comment from: beach, 55-64 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: January 30

I have been on and off Sporanox for 6 years for sinus fungal issues.. It helps and every time I try to stop it the symptoms come back. I am worried about the liver and heart issue but my doctors do keep a check on it. I am glad to see other have been on it for long times .

Related Reading: sporanox | liver

Comment from: allergy, 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 30

I was given this drug to treat a fingernail fungus contacted from a nail salon. I took the medicine before going to bed and was awakened a few hours later with severe itching. When I went into my bathroom and turned on the light, I could not believe the swelling and redness. I had red hives from the top of my head to the soles of my feet.

Related Reading: hives

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 27

I am taking this medication because of a fungal infection in my lungs - coccidioidomycosis. Apart from not tasting very good, I have not experienced any of the side effects listed. Overall, the medicine seems to be working, and it is now easier for me to breathe, and the uncontrollable coughing has disappeared.

Comment from: Mainstreet, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 30

Taste is terrible.