Sprycel

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: September 05

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with CML, I was put on Gleevec which after one year my body rejected it. I was put on Sprycel 140mg. I was Philiidelphia Chromazone positive with CML. After one year I was reduced to 100 mg, now there is no PH positive in my blood, my leukemia is holding it's own on just 50 mg. I have had no side effects while on this drug like I did with Gleevac. My hair has grown back in, my potassium levels never drop out of the normal range now like it did on the Gleevac. I am extremely satisfied with this drug, and because it's less expensive then the Gleevac, it should be the first offered when first diagnosed. Patient

Related Reading: gleevec | sprycel | leukemia

Comment from: Tired, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 29

I was switched to Sprycel after developing both resistance to Gleevec and intolerance of the highest dose. My first few months on the drug (at 140mg) were very unpleasant, with severe headaches, enlarged and tender breasts, and constant bouts of mild to moderate fever. I also developed anemia and mild heart problems. After resting from it several times and going down to 100mg/day, I now tolerate it well, and while my PH+ number tends to rise in Winter I have generally low numbers of PH+ cells. I have been using it for more than 3 years now and am still stable. I have had CML for over 15 years.

Related Reading: fever | anemia

Comment from: Bingome, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: June 07

Having many side effects from Gleevec 400mg (tried less and vacations from it, too), after 8 mos. was switched to Sprycel. Four months later (11 mos. from diagnosis) there was no trace of CML left (PCRu). Some fatigue is main side effect, slight edema. Mainly, within two days of starting Sprycel, the brain fog lifted. Am very happy with Sprycel.

Related Reading: fatigue | edema

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: July 16

Went into respiratory failure within 7 days of taking this medicine

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 02

Been on Sprycel 100mgs (1 tab) a day since August 2012. Diagnosed July 2012. Feeling pretty lucky. No pain and my blast cell count greatly reduced. Waiting on big 12 month results. Only differences are the not too frequent tired days and I can't carry heavy bags or groceries now as my arms will ache (drives me nuts!) :)

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: December 12

Compared to Tasigna, (Nilotonib), which has a 3 hour food window twice a day, this has been so much easier, and I am able to maintain my weight. Since I have been on Sprycel, my CML has gone from 27% of my blood, to 1/10th of one percent. I am currently in both molecular, and cyber genetic remission. I should remain this way, as long as I take Sprycel everyday, for the rest of my life.

Related Reading: tasigna

Comment from: MrsWulf, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 09

Started on Gleevec when diagnosed 6 years ago. 1.5 years in, switched to Sprycel, could barely function on Gleevec from extreme nausea. Minimal side effects on Sprycel. Full remission for 6 months now. Minor side effects: occasional nausea, heat intolerant. Able to fully function. This drug saved me :)

Comment from: muffins, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 28

In 9/08 I was diagnosed w/ Philadelphia chromosome positive CML. I have a long history of migraines, that, w/ daily medication, have been under control since 2001.When I 1st started Sprycel, I had an almost constant mild migraine (yeah - an oxymoron) for 8 days. On the 9th day no migraine & I've been migraine free since. I've had no other side-effects. At my diagnosis, 88% of the cells in my bone marrow were leukemic. At my last biospy in 12/08, only 6.5% of my bone marrow cells were leukemic. So the Sprycel is working!

Comment from: blessed, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: October 08

Been on Sprycel since 2010. Nausea and vomiting started right after I started Sprycel and heart rate went up started blood pressure medication. Severe joint and back pain started first of 2014. Had heart surgery in 2013. Been rough but at least we have these pills. Unable to work due to joint pains and back pains from sickness and medications.

Related Reading: nausea and vomiting

Comment from: Khaloud , 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 06

At first like any medication you need to give your body time to adjust. For those that complain of yest infections wash you self with water every time you use the bathroom and dry with toilet paper. Don't just wipe with toilet paper. I went to MD Anderson for a second opinion. I needed to know if i was taking all i need to take and if I could push my self or just lay back and stay tired. After being told that I vould push my self I went back to the gym and started off as someone that just started working out. It takes time to get your body back to a normal routine. I did what I could and worked my way up. After a couple of weeks I was back to normal. Now I'm able to take two classes back to back and feel great. I do step, Total body wheight lifting, yoga, treadmill, eleptical, my oncologist homogoligest doctor put me on a dieratic for my water retention. You have to see a hemotioligest no just oncoligest. If you could find on that is both even better I am not letting this control my life. I am trying to take control of it. I have my bad days, but very few. I was diagnosed in mid January of 2012. My white count was back to normal within 3 months after taking the Sprycil . I have been in remition for 2 months now. I'm scheduled for another bone narrow on the 16th of this month in MD Anderson. No one should ever give up. You can turn your self around. After all it could be worse. I am very thankful to god that Sprycil is available for our condition. I sometime forget that I have CML.

Comment from: dmccarter, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 21

Diagnosed with CML Dec 2013, began taking Sprycel within 1 month of diagnosis. In the beginning had mild to moderate side effects skin rashes, adult acne, nausea, muscle aches and extreme fatigue. Went into remission Aug. 2014, doctor reduced my dosage feeling much better. Now having a little issue with BP.

Related Reading: sprycel | acne | fatigue

Comment from: Sansa, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: February 02

Started on Gleevec, caused severe bone pain, stopped working, switched to Sprycel, can only tolerate lowest dose, 50mg, still have severe bone pain as well as quite a few other side effects. In remission for the last year or so. On disability, not able to function well due to pain and pain meds.

Related Reading: gleevec

Comment from: williwaws, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 17

Achieved PR undetectable in five months on Sprycel and maintained PCRu at 8 mos after developing severe hepatotoxicity to Gleevec afer five months of its use. Mild side effects noted mostly skin issues and fatigue but I am fully functional.

Comment from: Margie, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: February 28

My Child has ALL Phil+, his doctor put us on the generic Sprycel after his bone marrow (stem cell) transplant as a precautionary measure. The Brand one is too much expensive for your family, thanks bonhoa.com which is the price is only 1.2% of brand one. Initially he suffered the side effects, mainly pleural edema but different from others, he had a drainage done (through my back) which seemed to cure it immediately. he stayed off the Sprycel for 1 week then went back on it at a lower dosage (40mg once a day). I have grittiness of the eyes (eyes are not dry, they tear alot infact), a little edema in the legs and feet. we don't really have anything bad to say about Sprycel, we have nothing to compare it to. he's alive though. Should be cured in another year. God bless my child.

Related Reading: edema

Comment from: GASprycel, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 21

I've been on the medication for about 2 months and since then have been dealing with chronic gastrointestinal issues (not pretty) - I've found that dairy products makes things worse. Anyone else experiencing this?

Comment from: Healthy lady, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed at 36 and this was the first treatment I was given. I went into full remission within the first 6 weeks of treatment. Almost 2 years in and I only notice more frequent mouth sores and very unusual menstral ing cycles. Dr says sprycel has nothing to do with my irregular, more frequent bleeding but it all started 3 mos into treatment. Overall I am so greatful to this drug and the research behind it. I was always a very health conscious, gym going, water drinking, no fast food eating person so this diagnosis came as a complete shock. I am just trying to find out if more women have experienced issues with their monthly cycles after beginning this medication.

Related Reading: sprycel | shock

QUESTION

What is leukemia? See Answer
Comment from: Doc, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

I started taking it January of 2014. I experienced a drastic platelet reduction. Then I stopped taking it for over one month. Began again, the side effects were worse -- experienced platelet reduction, RBC reduction, weight gain, headaches, tiredness, depression and chest pain.

Related Reading: depression | chest pain

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: September 02

after taking this med for 5 yrs i just recently started having severe joint and bone pain.

Comment from: kermes, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 26

Diagnosed Ph+ CML 04/07 when 67. On Gleevec until 10/2007 with good results, but with strong side effects (skin sore, cramps). Changed to Sprycel 11/2007 with very good results up to date 04/2011 (major cytogenetic remission, Bcr-Abl/Gus < 0.1 %). No side effects at all. I live as if I had no illness. Only have to take 2 x 50 mg pills daily. I feel very fortunate.

Related Reading: gleevec | sprycel

Comment from: rosemaryl1, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 04

I have severe headaches, joint pain, and fatigue with this drug.

Related Reading: fatigue

Comment from: 35-44 (Patient) Published: August 06

My most severe side effect was mouth sores. I did also experience headaches at first, but they went away after a month or so, a little joint pain also. I became unresponsive after 10 months.

Comment from: Guest, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: March 13

I was diagnosed about 2 years ago, I am in full molecular remission. However I am 29, I suffer from chronic fatigue and I am now dealing with the fact that I want to get pregnant and there is no research, its very hard, There are no studies of what the outcome may be, I have to come off of it while pregnant, there are no studies as to how quickly my WBC will rise. Its frustrating. I can no longer go in the sun for periods of time ( I used to be a big tanner, I live in Florida ;) ) As well as I cannot tolerate heat and another weird side effect is that it has turned my eye lashes and eyebrows blonde. I'm a brunette. But other than that I AM IN REMMISION :)

Comment from: superstew7, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: September 29

I started this medication as a "last" alternative to a BM transplant. Since taking Sprycel my CML is in complete remission. No side effects worth mentioning at all. I was given the "6 months" to live talk almost 2 years ago. With 2 small kids, a wife and under 30 things looked ugly but im still around! THANKS SPRYCEL!!!!!!!!!

Comment from: Verdeana, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 29

after 10 months of use I have Pericardial Tamponade, and Plurel Effusion. I cannot take Gleevec or Tasigna due to severe reactions. Now its a waiting game to see what happens.

Related Reading: tasigna

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 06

I was so sick before taking this medication I can't even begin to tell you. If I am having side effects anything is better then the alternative-not living. I have completely changed my diet to glutton free. I also will only eat Kosher meats that are not soaked in blood. I gave up all processed sugars and proceeds food and I have not felt better. I went into remission in 3 weeks. I have been on Sprycel for 2 months. Feel free to contact me if you need an encouraging word from God. [email protected]