Stelara

Comment from: Lost , 45-54 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: April 14

My wife died from using Stelara on April 1st 2014. She developed Melanoma due directly to the use of Stelara. Run, run away from this drug. 30 months after beginning the use of Stelara she is gone.

Related Reading: stelara | melanoma

Comment from: pissed, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 03

this drug stelara almost killed my wife. They never metion that if you take this after takeing other s like humira you can have demylanting brain lesions which there is no cure and its crippling affect.like humira this drug should be off the market there studies are a farce.

Related Reading: stelara | humira | brain lesions

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 24

I am 42 and have had psoriasis since I was 12 years old. Tried Enbrel , methotexterate , humira (which hurt so bad I thought I'd die ) every cream known to man.....2 months after 1st shot of Stelara 100% clear....been on it 2 years no side effects at all....truly can say it's been a miracle for me

Related Reading: psoriasis | enbrel

Comment from: wise2be, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 05

I have had psoriasis for years. I have tried all sorts of med's, including coal tar, methtrexate, retinol's, humira and enbrel. Enbrel worked well for a while and then I guess I developed an immunity but it started to reappear. I have been on Stelara since December/January (Loading doses) and then just had my next injection this past week. At approximately 1 month (just prior to the 2nd loading dose), I was about 85% clear and approximately a month to six weeks later, I was clear. For the first time in a very, very long time I can go swimming and not be the least bit self-conscious. The cost is prohibitive but praise the Lord that my health insurance covers it for the most part.

Related Reading: enbrel

Comment from: bobinCT, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had psoriasis since age 20. Very severe at times. first steroid creams and ointments, then progressed to tar and photo therapy, then to methotrexate. Methotrexate was effective but along came enbrel and Dr. had me switch. Enbrel was effective for the most part....still had to use some steroid creams, etc. Have been on Stelara since it first came out. Very good results over this past year....tested effectiveness by not using any steroids and psoriasis is pretty much localized to elbows. Now just use steroids periodically to maintain. Nice to just have to go to the Dr. every 12 weeks vs. having to do weekly shots. Only side effect is vertigo which has started the past month and not sure if it is related to stelara or not.

Related Reading: methotrexate | vertigo

Comment from: MaraJones, 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: April 18

I've had HORRIBLE psoriasis since I was an infant. I have a home light therapy unit but that isn't exactly safe long-term. Neither is the cyclosporine that, although effective, my doctor won't leave me on for extended periods of time. My psoriasis left unchecked often covers my entire body! I've been on raptiva as well as humira and neither drug helped at all. The humira actually aggravated my psoriasis and my doctor had to put me on a large dose of cyclosporine to get it under control again. So when Stelara became an option, I didn't think it would work because the other biologics didn't. I was so very wrong! After my first injection my skin was significantly clearer; only the spots on my knees and elbows and a little behind my ears lingered. Soon after my second injection my skin was completely clear. I am still having a hard time believing it. I'm actually going to get my third injection tomorrow and I am excited! About getting a shot! The only thing that I would change about the drug is the fact that I have to go to the doctor to get the injection. It would be a little more convenient if they sent me the meds at home. Nevertheless, I could not be more surprised and happy with the results I've gotten from Stelara. By the way, I have had no side effects from the medication either which is awesome.

Related Reading: cyclosporine | raptiva

Comment from: dbm1981, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 04

After my last post on 8/19, my psoriasis is worse now than it's ever been. I've been taking 90mg of Stelara every 12 weeks and for a while it seemed a lot better. In the last few weeks, however, it is now by far the WORST flare I've ever had. I just don't know what to do!!!

Related Reading: psoriasis | stelara

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 22

Have had severe psoriasis for years and have tried everything. Enbrel,Humira,Remicade,Raptiva,Orencia,Laser and Phototherapy. Nothing worked and even had allergic reactions to some. Have been on Stelara since November and it has been amazing. I had given up hope but it has really worked for me so far.....Downside is that it is ridiculously expensive and my next injection wont be covered by insurance and long term side effects are unknown ... however this is the first summer that i have enjoyed in a long time Good Luck!

Related Reading: enbrel | humira | remicade

Comment from: tiger, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: March 18

bronchitis, always clearing my throat and asma attachs, which I am now going through a ct scan to find out exately how it effected my lungs, will keep stelara users informed. However, I must say my greatest satisfaction is that after 32 years and using all creams in the market, I am now 85% psoriasis free.

Related Reading: bronchitis | stelara

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: August 17

First time I have been clear since I was diagnosed at 17. Have now developed Lichen Planus which doctor feels is linked to Stelara....anyone else have this issue?

Related Reading: lichen planus

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: April 22

I've had severe guttate psoriasis since I was age 8. I've tried so many things from over the counter to various prescriptions including steroid injections, methotrexate, humira and now finally stelara. I've been taking stelara for over a year and a half with no problems. My skin cleared up within the first few weeks of beginning treatment and the injection has never been painful (like humira). I'm so happy I have finally found something that works for me! I hope many of you can find similar results as well.

Related Reading: methotrexate | humira

Comment from: acritz, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 17

I received my first injection in early January and noticed a significant improvement in only three days. I got my second injection a few weeks ago and other than some skin discoloration at the patch sites my psoriasis is almost totally gone. I have had psoriasis for almost 50 years and nothing has worked like Stelara.

Comment from: Richard, 65-74 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: April 04

Wonderful drug for my psorasis. Completely cleared after 40 years. Only drawback is I am always tired, but the benefits far outweigh this problem.

Comment from: StephaniP., 19-24 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 28

I began taking Stelara just a few months ago. My freshman year of college I was diagnosed with psoriasis that eventually covered over 20% of my body. I started out with the creams, then to Humira. It cleared me up to about 5% body coverage after a few months, but was the most painful shot I have ever taken. It was every two weeks and I ended up just telling my dermatologist it was too much pain and I couldn't do it anymore. Then along came Stelara. It has completely change my life. It hasn't even been two months and I am now almost 100% clear (not even 1% body coverage)! I was down to 2% just a week after my first shot! It is only every three months and all you feel is a slight little pinch! I am so glad I made the switch and so glad this medication is available or I don't know what I would have done!

QUESTION

Psoriasis causes the top layer of skin cells to become inflamed and grow too quickly and flake off. See Answer
Comment from: amedwards, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: December 03

I have been on sterlara for 2 years now. I have never used a medication that has provided me with 99% clearance. The only trouble is fatique, high liver enzymes count, and a vitamin d deficiency. My dermatologist says it isn't related but I am not taking any other medications and she deems untrustworthy. In the process of finding a new dermatologist.

Related Reading: liver | vitamin d

Comment from: MBD, 45-54 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 21

I have developed lichen Planus, my Doctor says it's most likely reaction to Stellara Injections. I regret ever taking this drug

Related Reading: lichen planus

Comment from: fvoom, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 22

just had my first injection 29Dec2009 I will get my 2nd injection on 26Jan2010. I experienced two days of mild lethargy, other than that, no other side effects. it has helped approx. 75%. Humira did not work for me so my doctor says this should work. Well, at the same time, I was given Clobex steroid cream. The combination took the psoriasis away except acouple of areas on my heels and palms. Cannot see it but can feel it. Hope I continue to improve and stay that way.

Related Reading: humira | clobex | psoriasis

Comment from: mccers, 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: October 01

Since my partner has been using Stelara (about 3 years now) his psoriasis has cleared dramatically. However I have experienced severe mood swings in him, very irrational, paranoid and depressed during the week - 10 days after injection. And a constant fatigue. IS this the experience of other Stelara users? If so, any advice on managing these side effects?

Related Reading: stelara | fatigue

Comment from: dbm1981, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: August 19

UPDATE...after 4 injections of Stelara, I've seen wonderful progress. After the first 2, my psoriasis came back with a vengence, but has improved remarkably. I just read an article that said some patients don't see any improvment until about 1 year...so keep the faith!!!

Comment from: marie, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: August 05

Never again! I was injected and the next morning my tongue was swollen. I called the drug manufacturer (the Stelara toll free number on their website) when I was concerned when the tongue was all swollen and they kept me on the phone for 20 minutes just to ask me my name and phone number 4 times and then tell me to call my doctor since they could not give me any medical advise. Why couldn’t they tell me that All I wanted to know if this was a possible side effect because their website does not list it (but thankfully drugs.com did list it). At the time I was not overly stressed or worried my tongue was visibly swollen and I could not eat but I was able to breath normally. I called my doctor and he gave me an epi pen if my throat closed and he was very concerned. I could not eat all day because of the swollen tongue and spoke funny with a lisp. Later in the day, my jaw swelled and locked where I could no longer speak, my eyes and lymph nodes swelled as well. I had intense pain in my ear down to my jaw bone like a ice pick was piercing the ear drum and going down into my jaw. I was still in denial. I initially thought I may have had a dormant bacterial infection or viral infection that became active with the immune suppressant, not an allergic reaction. I went to an emergency clinic. We got there right at 7:30. The doctor kind of laughed at me when I said I thought that I may have an infection. He told me that I had an allergic reaction. He gave me a shot of prednisone. He said if I went to the ER they would give me the shot, a Rx for steroids and an antihistamine for home. I left there at 8 PM. By 9:30 all of my symptoms were cleared. It really was a true allergic reaction.

Related Reading: prednisone

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had psoriasis for the past 35 years. After trying every drug from ointments to enbrel with no success my doc put me on stelara. The results were amazing after only 2 months so I put up with the side effects and my skin was plaque free for about a year. Gradually it started to come back again all over and the shots were discontinued. One year later and my skin is the worst it has ever been!

Related Reading: enbrel | stelara

Comment from: Elizabeth, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 23

I have been on this since October and have had three injections. So far, I am 95% clear! That is with starting level of 70% of my body with psoriasis. I was on Raptiva which was 85% effective and Enbrel which did nothing. I think this is a wonder drug. Too bad I can't give the injection myself, though.

Related Reading: psoriasis | raptiva | enbrel

Comment from: SB425, 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: November 25

I have had psoriasis for 20 years. I had a bad experience with photo therapy (the dermatologist gave me 2nd degree burns)and since then I have not been able to get my psoriasis under control. I was on remicade at the time and it was working until the break out hit from the burn (I was also on Methotrexate). I have been on stelara for a few months and it started to clear after the loading doses but after the second shot following the loading ones it came back full force. I have experienced slight depression and fatigue. Not very happy with this treatment.

Related Reading: burns | remicade | methotrexate

Comment from: on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: November 02

Works better than Humira or Enbrel. Would be more convenient if you didn't have to go to the doctor for the injection. However, concerned about possible side effects. Considerable joint pain after use. Especially knees. Also constant nasal drainage/congestion. Wonder if anyone else has noticed these possible side effects.

Related Reading: humira

Comment from: AnnMaloy, 55-64 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: March 14

In May it will be a year since my first treatment. After the loading doses and at least the first 12 week treatment, my psoriasis quit bleeding, that was a huge improvement. Like many here I went through all the usual treatments until Stelara (also on Methotrexate), including Remacade (this is when the bleeding started). I do have side effects but I'm going to try to tough it out since I would like this to work. Sore throat, runny nose, tired, headaches, some of these symptoms subside after about 1 - 2 weeks.

Related Reading: stelara | sore throat