Strattera

Comment from: Mike 35-44on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 22

I am glad I tried this medication! I was hesitant at first because of some of the negative reviews out there, however, after being on this medication for two months, I can say with no doubt that this med has helped me considerably. I am 43 and always had ADHD symptoms but was never diagnosed (got left back in third grade, could never sit still, etc.). I always had difficulty concentrating on anything and although I always did my work, I would procrastinate anytime I had projects due at work. Actually, I would complete them last minute. I also bought and/or taken out books just to read a few pages before I would get antsy and stop reading. I also sometimes forget where I put things. I have been on almost every antidepressant out there and non seem to work for my symptoms which appeared to be from major depression (my symptoms became intense after my mother passed away). My psychiatric NP asked me about straterra because it's sometimes given for treatment resistant depression and for ADHD. I reluctantly tried it and now am actually very happy with the results. Now I can sit down and read without getting antsy, I can concentrate much better, I do my job more efficiently, my desk and room are not cluttered anymore. I just feel so much better overall! I never realized that my symptoms were from ADHD and always thought they were because I had depression. I hope this review helps others out there like me who may have fallen through the cracks and was never properly diagnosed with ADHD.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 55-64 Published: June 12

Adult ADHD- I've had trouble focusing, talking too much or thinking too fast and too much. This medication has helped me control these problems for the first time in my life without huge side effects. Ritalin and Adderall helped but caused me to clinch my jaws to the point of pain/soreness. This has been a good match for me.

Related Reading: adult adhd | ritalin | adderall

Comment from: Alex Morgan13-18on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 20

So I'm seventeen, male and apparently have ADHD and anxiety issues. My doctor diagnosed me with ADHD and I've been made to take the drug from 6 years of age. When I first started taking this medication I felt depressed and exhausted. My parents saw my depression as the medication "making me relaxed". 10 years later, present day, on a 60mg dosage and I still have several side effects as well as new ones that have developed. I've had continuous headaches with sickness which makes focusing in any environment a hard task.I also have a weird mild loss of hearing and I am very dry in my eyes and lips. My doctor has confirmed the dryness as a side effect and I am currently worried if this is the cause of the dramatic decrease in my sight over time. I also seem to have a dramatic increase in clumsyness. In terms of stress and anxiety, I don't find it helps at all. Instead of the decreasing anxiety and stress it just increases my anxiety and stress supresses it when you really need to let it out instead. I become very scared to talk to new people because of this and some people even become creeped out. As a result I can safely say this medications causes social impairment and awkwardness. In school, whilst on the medication I would have a dramatic decrease in work productivity, especially in classes I found most boring (Maths and English) and I wouldn't put in any effort. I found this due to a lack of energy as a side effect. This is becoming a real pain in my life as my parents believe it is helping me, but in reality its not. It's ruining me and will continue to. I've tried talking to my mother but she refuses to listen or talk about the drug. She just says "I don't want hear it". My doctor only listens to my mother also, even if it's not true and is inaccurrate informations. He refuses to listen to me so a controlled reduction is not an option. I've come to conclude that independant cold turkey is the way to go. I cant stand this anymore.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression | stress

Comment from: Khashayar25-34on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: July 07

i start with 10 mg then taking 2X10mg now 1X25mg. i feel like im another person. i wish i knew this way before in my life. i could lived another life. i lost 5 schools in my life because of ADHD. i can never go back in time but i think with this i can live the rest of it. just its really expensive and because im an adult my insurance doesnt cover it. they prefer to poision us with cheap ritalin instead of cure us.

Related Reading: ritalin

Comment from: LSUTIGER9225-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: April 04

After reading all the bad reviews, I figured I should leave a positive one, this drug has worked very well for me, it is not a stimulant, and is doing a wonderful job keeping my adhd in check, the only side effects I have had is dry mouth, along with a mild headache here and there. The other reason I like this medication is due to the fact that it can not be abused and is not habit forming, if stimulants aren’t working for you or leaving you with bad side effects, it would be beneficial to talk to your doctor about this medication. It is also important to take into consideration that this medication takes longer than a stimulant, such as Adderall to work, I gave the medication time/stuck with it and it has really paid off in a big way.

Related Reading: dry mouth | headache | adderall

Comment from: 45-54 Published: April 20

I have had ADD all my life and was not diagnosed until about 10 years ago, I am 51. It is difficult to take at first, it affected my stomach, but that went away over time. I am able to function so much more effectively. My poor impulse control has improved, as well as able to focus and remain on task.

Comment from: Johnboy35-44on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: April 12

Works very well. It was a little tough getting started but I was able change to a lower dose which helped. This med needs to be started with a lower dose than the 40mg that is often recommended. Currently taking 80mg a day with no problems. I can actually sit in one place and do work assignments. Before I took this medication, I would work for 5-10 min and then stop to either take a quick walk or go talk to someone, or even go on to a different assignment. Now I can complete what I need to with little distractions.

Comment from: SEL428819-24on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: March 25

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 18 years old, although I have displayed symptoms my entire life. My doctor started me off on Strattera and gradually increased my dose until I was taking 60 mg. It helped a lot at first. I noticed I was taking more detailed notes in my classes and I did not get bored as easily while at work. My side effects were nausea (ended up being prescribed another medication to treat this side affect), dry mouth, decreased appetite (but when I did eat, my brain tingled, which was distracting), and drowsiness. Unfortunately, the side effects became too powerful for me to be productive. I would take the medication, get nauseous, take the nausea medication (I would throw up if I did not take it immediately after the nausea kicked in), become overbearingly drowsy, and end up having to sleep it off for the rest of the day. This medication lost its effectiveness for me. I now take Vyvanse 30 mg.

Related Reading: strattera | dry mouth | vyvanse

Comment from: Joe_Smith35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: March 12

I started this drug, Strattera with hopes that it would be good but it has not been for me either. It has substantially decreased my sex drive to non-existent with getting an erection. It has messed up my sleep at night and I can no longer sleep well through the night. I am more irritable and this isn't even a stimulant, just goes to show what some doctors know, it still irritates me though! I won't be taking it from this point forward and I even contacted the doctor's office, the nurse couldn't even leave a message for me, just hangs up when I was unable to get to the phone, what a crock!

Related Reading: strattera

Comment from: Rachelly35-44on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: April 18

My Son and I were both diagnosed with Attention Deficit (without hyperactivity). WARNING: DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! It gave us both psychotic thoughts. Neither of us would have ever thought these things without the drugs. We both had horrible violent thoughts. When I saw a blank stare on my Son's face and then he shook (no) all of a sudden, I asked my Son what he was thinking about and sure enough- I was having those horrible thoughts myself. We are very friendly people loving folk. I threw the pills in the trash!! A few weeks later, those thoughts went away. It was the pills :(. Now I am scared to take prescription meds for ADD. I am struggling at work. :(

Comment from: Unexist25-34on Treatment for 6 months to - 1 year Published: October 31

It's don't very effective for my ADHD. I was taking Strattera for about 7 months.

Related Reading: strattera

Comment from: 55-64on Treatment for 10+ years Published: November 20

too expensive

Comment from: sanderella5745-54on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: November 14

Why anyone would ever give this drug to their child should be charged with parental abuse. I'm sure they mistakenly trusted their Dr. who doesn't answer to the patient, but the pharmaceutical company. These ADHD drugs are so dangerous and deadly to children they it should be illegal to give it to them. Parent's do your research and stop believing Doctors who only profit from the number of prescriptions they prescribe.

Comment from: Tom45-54on Treatment for 1-6 months Published: April 03

The results were noticeable but the side affects were too much to live with. Being unable to urinate and losing all of my sex drive was just too much.

Comment from: logo198613-18on Treatment for 2-5 years Published: February 27

this just made me upset and not eat so it made me do the exact opposite than what it was supposed to

QUESTION

The abbreviated term ADHD denotes the condition commonly known as: See Answer
Comment from: PeterBert45-54on Treatment for less than 1 month Published: September 10

Although I know it is mush to early to really give this a review. I want Express myself on my experience, I was is using concerta for about 6 months and it has gotten terrible for me. Constantly nervous inside, anxiety or depressive, nervous tics, jittery to the point that had trouble talking. I'm actually just started strattera 40mg only my 4th day, still in the crossover process with still taking concerta for 10 days and diminishing gradually dose to a stop. So far already feel much less nervous and anxiety, more focused. No side effects so far other than a bit hot and sweaty the first day about 1h30min after taking pill, but didn't last long. Just hope this keeps up because some side effects dont soind to fun by reading comments. Always possibility to reintroduce a stimulant in small dose to complete if needed I was told, but trying it alone at first. Stimulants like concerta dont seem to work with comorbid anxiety symptoms, they are amplified like crazy for me...

Related Reading: concerta | anxiety | strattera

Comment from: 45-54on Treatment for 5-10 years Published: February 25

Straterra worked for my ADD, but I began to have side effects. I have been on this multiple times, and am terrible about being compliant. I was on it at 80mg and got tired of paying for it, so I quit. Big mistake, I couldn't focus and couldn't learn new things at work. I got back on it and was fine. I took it for a few years, then became non-compliant. After a few months, I realized that I needed to be back on it. So, I began round three. Big problems. If I took it during the day, I had horrible stomach pain. So bad that I wanted to curl up in a ball. I would have to go to a conference room and turn off the lights and just close my eyes for an hour until it passed. It didn't matter if I took it on a full stomach or an empty one. I tried taking it at night, but it was somehow worse. My brain would get into a dream loop, where I would think the same things over and over, and would wake up every 10 minutes. It was worse than not sleeping. I wish I had stayed on it the first time or two I used it.