Symbicort

Comment from: no1uno, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year Published: October 21

I have been able to run longer and with more ease using this medication. My concerns the soreness that I experience after running and the weight that I continue to gain. I exercise on a regular basis, eat right but since I started using this medication I can't seem to control my weight which wasn't a problem before.

Comment from: TheResa, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 09

i was on Advair and had not used a rescue inhaler for many years. Because express-scripts thought Advair was too expensive for them I had to switch to Symbicort. This product does not work for me. I cannot get my breath, and my blood pressure is dangerously high. I take blood pressure medication but never had trouble while on Advair. I have gained 10 lbs since last summer. I feel terrible. My family doctor is sending me to a cardiologist in February, but I now see that it is the Symbicort that is causing my trouble.

Related Reading: symbicort

Comment from: smb, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 08

was on advair for 8 years and 4 months ago decided to try something different to see if my muscle cramps would go away- which i believed were a side-effect of the advair. cramps went away but after one month gained 15 lbs, had horrible headaches, migraines, bloating, flu-like symptoms, sinus issues and taste loss AND my asthma was not better controlled. after this last migraine episode, i am stopping the symbicort and going back on advair. i guess this just shows that everybody is different and some tolerate certain meds better than others. and, that if you are living with horrible side-effects everyday, that there is probably a better med out there for you. md's protect the drug companies, you have to be your own proponent in your health and speak up! thanks for sharing your experiences.

Related Reading: muscle cramps | flu | asthma

Comment from: georgie, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: July 24

I've been on symbicort for 3 years now. The first year seemed like a cure ,but I hen began noticing rapid weight gain,a more constant chronic cough and shortness of breath.I've also had mucus build up and when cough really hard I will vomit up thick white mucus which seems to then help my breathing.I have never had these problems prior to the symbicort.When I've mentioned this to my doctor I'm told to continue the medication and they are unaware of such side affects.I've changed doctors twice and no one seems to listen.4 weeks ago I decided to go down to 1 puff twice daly and have noticed an improvement.I am now going to try 1 puff daily for another 4 weeks and stop the symbicort completely!!!

Related Reading: symbicort | cough

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 18

I have taken Advair for about 18 years and have not used a rescue inhaler for at least 15 years. In fact, I wondered if I even had asthma. Because Advair is no longer cost-effective for my insurance company, I was recently switched to Symbicort, which I have been using for a month. I now regularly gasp for air and often have a tight, heavy feeling in my chest combined with wheezing. I now know for certain that I have asthma and that Symbicort is NOT effective in treating it.

Comment from: netterlynn, 45-54 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: June 10

I've had asthma for my entire life, and have been medicated for it for the past 18 years. Before the Symbicort, I was on Advair. I was constantly hoarse and coughing, and my results began to be worse. So, onto the Symbicort, which did seem to help...for a while. Now, I am only slightly better than I was with the Advair, and I have some unpleasant symptoms that may be from this medication. I've gained an enormous amount of weight, even while cutting down on caloric intake. My joints are very sore, which I thought might mean that I had arthritis, but I'm beginning to think might come from this medication. My migraines are more frequent and worse, and...I'm still hoarse, coughing and clogged! I'm thinking of just giving up on all of the medications and dealing with only having 50% of my lung volume available.

Related Reading: arthritis

Comment from: l8dybug, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: March 31

I went to see my Dr. with my typical Spring allergy/asthma symptoms (coughing/wheezing). I had been using my Flovent and Xopenex inhalers regularly, but just wasn't getting better and I thought I needed some Prednisone to get me "over the hump". My doctor gave me the script for Prednisone, and also one for Symbicort. I took it for just a little over a week and I'm much worse. I noticed immediately that my voice was very hoarse and my throat sore at times. I started to feel like I couldn't breathe most of the time.... very short of breath and my chest was really tight. Then it morphed into something else.... I am coughing up a lot of mucus and I believe I have a sinus infection as well. On top of it all... I've had times when I've had a racing, pounding heart without exertion and I just feel exhausted. Needless to say, I stopped taking the Symbicort, and I called my doc today and was given an antibiotic to hopefully take care of the infection I now have. That inhaler is going into the trash!

Related Reading: allergy | flovent | xopenex

Comment from: Bauhaus, 45-54 on Treatment for 5-10 years (Patient) Published: October 03

After taking Symbicort for about 7-8 years, I got severe chest infections, severe foot and ankle tendonitis; severe leg cramps; huge weight gain; feeling of exhaustion whenever I tried to exercise, instead of exhilaration as I used to get; I hate to think of the damage this dangerous drug has done to my bones, organs and arteries. I expect it has severely messed with my lungs and blood absorption. It is better to cough and live with a little asthma and allergies than take drugs. I take no drugs and use all natural health approaches. I hope Symbicort has NOT permanently damaged by body's ability to recover and regenerate naturally.

Related Reading: symbicort | cough | asthma

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 05

This drug did work at clearing up my asthma that usually acts up every winter. However, it did not work as well as the Advair and the side effects are unbearable. This medication made me very dizzy, worsened my depression, made me angry (intermittently), kept me up late at night (2 AM the last two nights). I called my doctor today so I can switch meds becuase this is unbearable. I have a history of depression, and I'm so annoyed that this as worsened it. It will take great effort to get back on track.

Related Reading: depression

Comment from: 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 22

Over a four month period while using Symbicort, I needed to use my rescue inhaler more and more. I experienced low energy, tightness in chest, wheezing, and a constant need to clear my throat. With my doctors permission, I stopped taking this medication and feel better already. I will be much more aware of side effects to any medication that I take from now on.

Comment from: 45-54 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 18

Had an alergic reaction where I could barely breathe. Be careful with this one.

Comment from: franny1949, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: March 25

Had what pulmonary physician called a "paradoxical" effect from Symbicort - I experienced a frighteningly serious asthmatic breathing episode from this drug - immediately stopped using. Switched to Qvar at dr's recommendation - had persistent pain in heart area. Threw them both out. Visited a homeopathic MD - am now using a safe homeopathic remedy for my asthma (developed two years ago and lost 33% breathing capacity) - since taking arsenicum album (three pellets under the tongue 3 x daily), tightness in chest is much improved; breathing better; overall asthma symptoms under control (still use Ventolin inhaler occasionally) - no more dangerous horrible steroids which destroy the immune system, chemical pharmaceuticals with life threatening side effects - feel so much better using arsenicum album homeopathic remedy - all natural, safe, zero side effects. Please leave the pharmaceuticals in the garbage can where they belong and look into homeopathy as the safe effective alternative.

Related Reading: qvar

Comment from: caxtonman, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 10+ years (Patient) Published: June 13

I have been using Symbicort for over 10 years and to honest with you I went from 13st - 22st in the space of this time, and no real difference in the frequency of attacks. I stopped taking it nearly two weeks ago now (voluntarily, without doc's knowledge) and I feel fine, a little tight chested sometimes but relieved with Ventolin. My opinion is DON'T take it, as since I started it I have had coughing, tiredness, irritability, palputations, sleep aponea and lots more to mention. This drug earns the drug company £1 billion every year worldwide - that's why doctor's prescribe it so freely.

Comment from: sally, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 27

Have stopped it after 2 months because of the awful side effects - headaches, nausea and chest pains and associated anxiety. Although it worked really well the side effects were worse than the wheezing. Am waiting to be assessed for an alternative.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: ginger4art, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been using this drug for about 3 months, i was wondering if anyone using it has been gaining weight, bloating or problems with their bowels?

Comment from: 75 or over on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 04

I stopped the medication when my asthma seemed better, then my doctor told me I had to quit this gradually, it could affect my kidneys if stopped all at once. I did this by cutting to two puffs a day for 2 weeks, then one puff for two weeks.

Comment from: asthmalady, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: December 08

I took this drug for 3 weeks, ny currenyt inhaled steroid medication is being discontinued, due to the CFC delivery system,(Azmacort) and I had been having more frequent asthma events within the last several months. I began experiencing side effects the first night after beginning symbicort- Day 1- the first night experienced waking several times with severe "Charley horse" type cramps in legs and feet. started eating bananas daily, which reduced the number of incidents, but still had the leg cramps nearly every night of the 3 weeks I took the drug. Also began experiencing joint pain and muscle stiffness, stomach issues within the first several days, and after 2 weeks, depression and anxiety. I developed 2 infections requiring antibiotics within that period, and the drug was not better than my previous inhaled steroid at controlling symptoms- needed albuterol several times daily. I had experienced negative effects with Advair when I tried that a year ago, and I may be reacting to the long-acting beta-2 antagonist component of these drugs. Went to Doc today, and going off symbicort and starting QVAR. It is apparently similar to the Azmacort I had been on previously.

Related Reading: azmacort | asthma | symbicort

Comment from: 45-54 Female on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: February 25

I have been suffering with asthma for about 15 years. I breifly used advair (very effective, but the powder made my throat sound very hoarse when I spoke). I stopped that and the doctor gave me symbicort instead. With the symbicort I am able to sleep through the night without waking up to puff on a rescue inhaler. In fact, I breathe easy all day. Workouts are a breeze. I feel like the old me again.

Comment from: John, 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years Published: December 02

My son is 11 years old and took Symbicort for a little over a year. Initially it did help with his asthma but his appetite increased and this led to a fairly rapid weight gain. He also began coughing more for about 30 minutes after taking the medicine and he appears to be more susceptible to viral / bacterial respiratory infections. He is now stopping Symbicort because the side effects for him are worse then the asthma.

Related Reading: symbicort

Comment from: nt, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: August 29

Very crampy calf muscles, contracting even during the day. Worse at night time, having had several leg cramps in a span of a week, sometimes twice in one night.

Comment from: Rusty41, 45-54 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 10

Unfortunately after perservering with this drug for many years, and being diagnosed with chronic anxiety and panic attacks, now have come to the realisation that when I take more than one dose in a day, my symptoms become intolerable, along with electrolite problems, serious problems with my heart, dizziness, insomnia, urininary tract issues,and the list goes on, suspect that I am better off without it. After being well and taking very little medication for a few weeks before Christmas I could sleep, felt better than I had in ages, and was a happier person. Please beware that this may be a good drug in small doses. It also reduces my immunity to viruses and bacterial infections.

Related Reading: anxiety | panic attacks | dizziness

Comment from: Lexi, 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: June 07

I have been using this inhaler for about 2 years never really had any problems until about a month ago i started having anxiety attacks also i have been having rapid heart rates.

Comment from: kate, 65-74 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: May 09

Have been on Pulmicort and Serevent Dis for years and doing fine. Am on medicare and BC/BS doesn't want to pay for my meds. Tried Symbacort,beginning last Weds, 5/4/ll. Peak Flow on 5/4 was 340. 5/5, 300. 5/6, 280. 5/7, 240. 5/8, 210. Have call into doctor. Experiencing irregular pulse, headache, nausea, chest pain, deep raspy cough. I am thinking it might be the combined dosage may not have enough bedesonide. Pulmicort delivers 180mcg. Symbicort 160mcg.

Related Reading: headache | chest pain | cough

Comment from: linacorner, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 27

I started on Symbicort a few weeks ago as my doctor thought maybe it would help me more than Advair. I have experienced bloating and constipation, leg cramps and I am thinking that this medicine may be the reason. I have not had any other changes to my med's or diet to explain this. I'm going off this med to see if my symptoms improve. Although, it has helped my asthma, I can't deal with the side effects. Any onte else experience the bloating and constipation?

Related Reading: symbicort | constipation | asthma

Comment from: Babe, 65-74 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 24

After I lost my voice on Advair my doctor put me on Symbicort. I experienced some hoarseness, phlem and uncontrolled tremors. The tremors got so bad that my whole body was shaking at night in bed and woke my husband up. I stopped taking the Symbicort for a week and the tremors stopped. I went back on it and the tremors came back so I quit taking it.

Related Reading: hoarseness | tremors