Symbyax

Comment from: DeeDee, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: September 25

It has changed my life. I can now live life, normally. I don't have those sad feelings everyday like I did before I started taking the medication. I was about to give up hope on myself and doctors, but I finally found a doctor that has helped me,after 20 years of searching. I have suffered for 20 years with this, not knowing what was wrong and thinking that no one understood me because you have to experience the feeling to understand what it is. I just hope that this medicine continues to work for me and that I don't slip back into the condition I was in. As for now I'm doing great and why didn't someone know about this for me a long time ago. I've wasted a big part of my life suffering with this problem, now I've got a lot of catching up to do. One more point I needed to make is that I thought my problem was so unusual that even the doctors couldn't understand it. I thought I was one of a kind, because I really didn't know how to describe it to anyone. Please don't give up hope because I almost did and I finally found the right doctor, I am so thankful.

Comment from: Nacamichi, 55-64 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been on this drug at 6 MG/25MG and it helps me cope with a stressful job and home life. My relationships have improved as has my effectiveness with my employees at work and with my son. It helps me sleep at night and I feel my life is manageable again. Much less sadness and desire to leave my life for early retirement that I can't yet afford,

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: February 04

I had probably tried 10 different anti-depressants in 5 years and had almost given up on having a normal life until I tried this drug. It has worked miracles for my life and the well being of my family. Everyone I know has noticed such a big change in me. I sleep well, have plenty of energy, and can actually get through a day without bursting into tears over nothing. It is a very expensive drug, but well worth the price for the total change it has brought into my life.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: November 09

My Dr. started me on this 4 days ago, and already I feel so much better. My suicidal thoughts are gone, and the anxiety is non existent. The drug does make you very very sleepy!! I keep taking it earlier in the day, if you take it before bedtime, you'll sleep great, but I'm so tired, I can't hardly get up in the morning. My first few hours in the morning feel like a fog, hard to focus. Also, it makes you very hungry all the time, but I was forewarned by my Dr. that it would have this side effect. I was on klonipin before, for anxiety, but I think this works so much better. My husband has noticed a big change in my behavior too. I'm more calm, not yelling all the time, or crying for no reason. No other side effects.

Related Reading: anxiety

Comment from: WYERLESLIE, 55-64 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 23

I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH BI-POLAR DISORDER A MONTH AGO AND WAS PLACED ON THIS MEDICATION. I HAVE BEEN ON THIS MEDICATION FOR A MONTH AND NOTICED I HAVE BEEN SLEEPING BETTER. I HAVE A SLEEPING DISORDER BUT SINCE TAKING THIS MEDICATION I HAVE BEEN SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT. MY DAUGHTER SEEMS TO THINK I AM SPACED OUT AFTER AN HOUR OF TAKING MEDICATION. SHE SAYS I SEEM LOST IN THOUGHT. AT LEAST I AM NOT CRYING OR SCREAMING ABOUT THINGS AND HAVING NIGHTMARES ANYMORE. I DO FEEL A LITTLE STRANGE DURING THE DAY AFTER THE MED WAS TAKEN AT NIGHT. I HAVE BEEN HAVING REALLY BAD PROBLEMS WITH MEMORY FOR OVER 3 MONTHS. KIND OF GETTING BACK SOME GOOD THINGS I USE TO DO. I AM TYPING LETTERS TO HELP WITH MY MEMORY AS I USE TO TYPE BY MEMORY SINCE HIGH SCHOOL. SO I GUESS THIS MED IS WORKING, WHAT DO YOU THINK? BY THE WAY I AM A 57 YEAR OLD FEMALE, MARRIED, 3 GROWN CHILDREN AND 5 GRANDCHILDREN.

Related Reading: nightmares

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 31

I've tried a few depression meds including Cymbalta and Lexipro. After taking a Bipolar questionnaire it was agreed that I needed to try a different drug. So far using Symbyax I have been able to think clearer and control my anger spurts. This may be the drug for me for now. I'm happy that med science is continually working hard in this field. Not very many individuals understand just how serious being Bipolar or Depressed is.

Related Reading: depression | cymbalta | symbyax

Comment from: 19-24 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with OCD, Bipolar disorder, ADD & ADHD all at the same time. I started taking Symbyax March 7 2008 and have continued on it. I have seen an absolute change in my mood, concentration, and anxiousness. This drug has made my life 100% better and I'm very thankful for it. The sleepiness will eventually wear off but it is really hard to get up in the morning.

Related Reading: bipolar disorder

Comment from: aamor, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: October 30

I am a 27 year old who has attempted suicide twice in my life, once at 15 years old and again at 23. I've been diagnosed with both Bipolar depression (manic depression) and Major depressive disorders. As you can imagine, I have had my fair share of roller coaster ups and downs of life and have been through countless medications. However, I am AMAZED at how well I feel/am/perform with this medication! Don't get me wrong, there are some side effects (I gained 10 pounds in the first month, I've lost 6, but still have a hunger that makes me crave the munchies real bad, and I still have a hard time getting up in the morning, but that subsides once I have my coffee), but it's way better than the other side effects from other medications. (Like with Effexor--which I was on for about 4 years--my stomach ALWAYS hurt, and the withdrawals were HORRIBLE--I don't have crazy withdrawals with this medicine like I did with Effexor). So overall, I'm very happy with this medication, I just wish I didn't have the weight gain, but it's not as bad as some others that I've read. My mood is a LOT more stabalized and I don't snap or get mad as easily as I used to. I don't cry over just anything either. I'm pretty happy overall and lead a pretty "normal" life--something that has taken YEARS to get to. I can honestly say that this is the best mental condition that I've been in since I can remember. So to all those out there who believe there is no hope out there for you or there is not any medication to help you, THERE IS STILL HOPE!!! I AM LIVING PROOF!!!

Related Reading: suicide | depression | effexor

Comment from: Abby, 35-44 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 07

This is my third time getting back on this med. due to the cost. I am budgeting better so I don't have to stop it again. There are no words to describe how much better my mood swings and depression are on this. It's sad that it is so exspensive and some people need it and can't afford it. Good luck to all.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: April 12

I was previously on Zyprexa (olanzapine) for three years, then my doctor put me on Prozac (fluoxetine) for a year, and now I've been taking Symbyax for six months. I did gain weight, over 40 pounds, but through diet and exercise (which helps my depression anyways) I've lost most of it. I consider weight gain an acceptable trade for how much better I'm doing since taking this medication. I take mine at night which seems to help with the sleepiness associated with this.

Related Reading: zyprexa | olanzapine | prozac

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: February 24

I have been on numerous antidepressants and anxiety drugs, but this drug by far is worth it's cost. I feel more "normal" than I have in years.

Related Reading: antidepressants | anxiety

Comment from: 25-34 on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: May 21

I absolutely LOVE this medication been on it for 4 years. Other than the weight gain I cannot complain. I don't have anger issues and not irrariatable. I sleep SO well now. At first it knocked me out for a few days but the doctor warned me of that but since then I feel great! I thank my doctor for introducing me to this medication. I have considered going off this medication but I am back to my normal self and don't think I can take the depression again.

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 2-5 years (Patient) Published: January 04

This has been a miracle drug for. Yes I gained some wieght, but it was well worth it. For the first time in years, I am not suicidal and I don't have sickening thoughts. This medication has helped my greatly.

Comment from: sml025, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

worked quickly, got out of bed and had energy for first time in months.

Comment from: 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: October 16

I noticed a decrease in my moods swings right away. My relationships, work and school activities have been much easier to deal with. My doctor recommended a low dose for me so I have to break the capsule and add water which makes taking the medication cumbersome. Other than that I am so excited about my new life.

Bipolar Disorder: Symptoms, Testing for Bipolar Depression See Slideshow
Comment from: smokie2, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: June 28

I have taken all the antidepressant drugs out there it seems. For years. This made a complete difference in 3 days. I actually feel quite good. Taken it now for 3 wks and I am amazed. I have been exercizing like crazy, in that I have been very lucky and have never had a weight problem, and I sure do not want one now. The only problem for me is the cost, 325.00 even though I have good med. insurance, they cover no mental health at all.

Related Reading: mental health

Comment from: Cecilia, 25-34 on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: May 13

Symbyax worked great for me and I wish I could continue to take it however I had to stop because it was making me gain a lot of weight (10 pounds the first month, I'm already on the heavy side). It works, but for me, the weight gain was depressing me anyhow. I had the munchies non stop and it felt as though I was ALWAYS hungry. Even after eating a good meal, it felt like I didn't eat, I was still hungry. As for the depression and hypomania, it was good for me. At first it was hard to wake up in the morning but after a week, I got use to it (had to take it 2-3 hours before bedtime just to wake up on time). If weight gain isn't an issue for you, then Symbyax is great...and expensive btw. I have great insurance and even then 10 pills would run $60.

Related Reading: symbyax | depression

Comment from: 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: January 01

This drug has been a miracle for me. Not only have my depression and suicidal thoughts alleviated, but I'm also sleep so well at night. The only problem is my hunger. It seems incessant.

Comment from: mj, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: September 08

This is the only drug that has worked so far for me. The appetite has increased a lot but I am adding exercise into my daily routine to combat any weight gain. I was on seroquel and wanted to kill my self after 1 week on the seroquel. by the 2nd day on symbyax I was feeling better

Related Reading: seroquel | symbyax

Comment from: Joy, 35-44 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 12

I have had a good experience with this medicine. It has worked for me so far and I only have been on it for about 2 weeks now, and I can already tell and my husband said he can tell also. I would recommend this to anyone.

Comment from: 35-44 Female on Treatment for 1-6 months (Patient) Published: December 04

I have been taking this medication for about six months and I am sleeping better, do not have suicidal thoughts as frequently and overall I am not as depressed or anxiety ridden. I would recommend this medication to any one struggling with Bipolar Depression. One side effect is that I gained weight with an increased appetite.

Related Reading: anxiety | depression

Comment from: thirdchild, 45-54 on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: February 26

was on it for about a year! wow what a life changer I mean it was great. the only draw back was I gained over 40lbs! hate that! I slept great and for me that was key. My mood was even and not sporatic as in the past. I had to go off it hate the weight!!!! trying new drugs..hate them all! want to just not take anything...think I can???? ho hum

Comment from: Jaran_nicholas, 19-24 Female on Treatment for 6 months - 1 year (Patient) Published: January 21

Well my dr prescribed symbyax to me in April of 08.. And although it makes me really tired.. and caused me to gain weight... I am very satisfied with the drug overall.. It has really helped with my bipolar depression..

Comment from: me, 25-34 Female on Treatment for 1-2 years (Patient) Published: October 29

I was going through a tough time in my life. was never diagnosed with bipolar but after several failed medications, i.e. zoloft, paxil, cymbalta, lexapro I finally gave in to Symbyax. At first it knocked me out so of course my mood improved, I was sleeping. haha then I took it in the late afternoon and had no problems. Weight gain was an undesired side effect with increased appetite. I gained 38lbs in 9 weeks and had to buy all new clothes. Weight finally leveled off and I never had to have meds adjusted. Wish I had never taken myself off the meds and now my doctor is trying other stuff that does not work nearly as well.

Related Reading: zoloft | paxil | cymbalta

Comment from: DNB, 55-64 on Treatment for less than 1 month (Patient) Published: January 29

This medication has been great in reducing my "anxiety" where no other drug helped. I sleep better and I have more energy. My husband has noticed a tremendous difference in me. I have noticed a slight increase in my appetite.

Related Reading: anxiety

QUESTION

Another term that has been previously used for bipolar disorder is ___________________. See Answer